Need suggestions on replacing Integra DTC-9.8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, some quick background:

I have an Integra DTC-9.8 that I have had since last Fall. It started out feeding component from Dish Network and a Samsung DVD player to a Samsung CRT, and now feeds HDMI from Fios and a Panasonic BR player to a Vizio SV470XVT. Along the way, I have always had some sort of problem with the video. Originally, I would get e2prom errors and the video would fail to turn on. After upgrading firmware and going through every single soft and hard reset procedure I could find, and always having my problems return after using the stereo several times, I was given a replacement unit. While I have had no further prom errors, the video will still cut out periodically and just reconnect after three seconds. When the video goes out, there is a 50/50 chance the audio will as well, but it always returns quickly while the video continues to resync. I have tried different HDMI cables (all are 6ft or shorter), and both 1080p and bypass for video out of the DTC-9.8. Video drop outs seem to increase exponentially over time, and typically go away (for a while) if I do a cold boot after unplugging the unit from the electricity for a minute.

I'm willing to tinker a little more, but I've otherwise had it with the 9.8. However, I can't figure out what to replace it with other than running to Best Buy and grabbing a Denon receiver. There really don't seem to be any other comparable products on the market, and I'm not sure I want to "downgrade" to a receiver when I'm just going to be running external amps anyway. I also have a balanced electronic crossover and I like having balanced outputs from the processor.

Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Cary 11a

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 13 Old 06-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker77 View Post

First, some quick background:

I have an Integra DTC-9.8 that I have had since last Fall. It started out feeding component from Dish Network and a Samsung DVD player to a Samsung CRT, and now feeds HDMI from Fios and a Panasonic BR player to a Vizio SV470XVT. Along the way, I have always had some sort of problem with the video. Originally, I would get e2prom errors and the video would fail to turn on. After upgrading firmware and going through every single soft and hard reset procedure I could find, and always having my problems return after using the stereo several times, I was given a replacement unit. While I have had no further prom errors, the video will still cut out periodically and just reconnect after three seconds. When the video goes out, there is a 50/50 chance the audio will as well, but it always returns quickly while the video continues to resync. I have tried different HDMI cables (all are 6ft or shorter), and both 1080p and bypass for video out of the DTC-9.8. Video drop outs seem to increase exponentially over time, and typically go away (for a while) if I do a cold boot after unplugging the unit from the electricity for a minute.

I'm willing to tinker a little more, but I've otherwise had it with the 9.8. However, I can't figure out what to replace it with other than running to Best Buy and grabbing a Denon receiver. There really don't seem to be any other comparable products on the market, and I'm not sure I want to "downgrade" to a receiver when I'm just going to be running external amps anyway. I also have a balanced electronic crossover and I like having balanced outputs from the processor.

Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA

I am in a similar situation... my 9 month old INtegra suddenly stopped producing audio--- regardless of source digital, analog, etc. And in a word Integras support PATHETIC! My processor is now in the hands of an autorized service center and I am told it will be several weeks if not longer b4 getting it back. You would have thought Integra would send a replacement; now I am left with running to BB or shopping on line and waiting for a new amp to arrive. I was warned to stay away from Onkyo/Integra... didn't listen!
post #4 of 13 Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 AM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Component video fed to my 9.8 became unstable when output to my TV via HDMI. I had to disconnect from the processor and run the component directly to the TV. I called Integra, but to fix I'll have to do without for a month. Replacement was not an option. Personally, I'm waiting on the Emotiva XMC-1 for replacement purposes. Then, I'll send my 9.8 in for repair and move it to a different room or sell it. I haven't read any such problems with the 9.9.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-30-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I keep meaning to reply and never end up clicking the post button...

I wouldn't mind having a Cary 11a if I didn't need to also buy an 11v. The new units are also quite expensive compared to an Integra. It looks like Outlaw and Emotiva (who actually likes the way that company's products look?!) have new processors coming out, but I'm not sure when. What else is there, just receivers? Does anyone make a reasonably priced receiver that compares audio-wise? e.g. is there a real reason I shouldn't just buy a Denon and use it as a preamp?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:

What else is there, just receivers? Does anyone make a reasonably priced receiver that compares audio-wise? e.g. is there a real reason I shouldn't just buy a Denon and use it as a preamp?

As long as you don't need XLR connections this is a good way to go. Does your integra have cooling space or it it crammed into a rack?
post #7 of 13 Old 06-30-2009, 06:50 PM

Liked: 11
Look at the av8003. I just replaced a Denon receiver I was using as a preamp with the av8003 and it's night and day.

post #8 of 13 Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

The Integra is at the bottom of an open Salamander Archetype style rack and has several inches of air space above it, so heat is not an issue.

ocZZZZ, I haven't seen much info or discussion on the Marantz processors so maybe I'll have to dig around for that and check them out. Which Denon did you have previously?
post #9 of 13 Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:

The Integra is at the bottom of an open Salamander Archetype style rack and has several inches of air space above it, so heat is not an issue.

ocZZZZ, I haven't seen much info or discussion on the Marantz processors so maybe I'll have to dig around for that and check them out. Which Denon did you have previously?

If the problem is still there after a warranty fix you can try and see if you can gat a good trade in value and go for the 9.9.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-01-2009, 11:21 AM

Liked: 11
I had the AVR-988 previously.

Quote:

post #11 of 13 Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I just ordered an 886. I hope I don't have problems like this. I was waiting for Emotiva to release the UMC-1 but I got tired of the delays. I've been waiting since last summer like many here have!

Heat can cause problems like this. The HDMI video board gets very hot. To eliminate heat as a problem put a small fan blowing over the top of the receiver and see if the problem still develops. If it doesn't then that is your problem. If it still does develop then at least you eliminated one possible problem.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-01-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had an 885 going on for 1.5 years and am very happy. I have not heard the Cary unit. So I would go with the 886, depending on needs If we are speaking of Blue sky, Then I would go with the new Outlaw unit over the Emu. But, that is on specs alone.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 AM

Opening an old thread- currently having problems with my DTC 9.8. Video drop out, audio problems and sound processor issues. I need to either repair it or replace it.
Hey met64- did sending your unit out solve the problem? I dont want to throw good money after bad. Hey B&W700guy- what did you ever buy?
Has anyone had success with an Integra repair?
Thanks.
Tim
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page