AVS Forum banner

What you guys think of Pioneer VSX-919AH-K

50K views 211 replies 78 participants last post by  wrinkles88 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Pioneer generally makes nice units, but their power ratings are overrated. Not a big deal if you have reasonably efficient speakers; also keeping in mind it takes twice the amp power to gain 3db. That said, I think the Denon 1610 is probably a better pick. It's GUI and manual stinks, but Denon generally has a good amp section, Audyssey, and is known for reliability. I think the 1610 can be had for only a few bucks more than the 919.

#4 ·
Just about any receiver will be able to drive those speakers including the 919 and 1610.

#5 ·
I just got my VSX-919 (for less than you posted - PM me if you want the info), and I love it.

I needed a receiver with HDMI switching, video conversion from component to HDMI, and support for all of the latest BR codecs.

I'm a big pioneer fan, so it was down to this or the VSX-1019. I didn't need the additional HDMI port, so it was a pretty easy choice...

#7 ·
Yes.

This way you can have a single HDMI cable to your TV, and connect composite, component to HDMI sources to the receiver for switching.

I have a DVD player that only has component outputs, and it works great.

Note that it doesn't UPCONVERT them, it only converts them to HDMI at the same resolution they come in on.

I think the VSX-1019 will actually do up conversion to say 1080i, etc...

#10 ·
Since the Denon was raised as one possible alternative, it could be the better choice for you as it has a feature called 'Dynamic Volume' which helps improve the "fullness" of sound when playing music or movies at less than reference/high volumes. Across the board, owners seem to really appreciate it and it's a feature that has real practical significance.

On the other hand, Pioneer 2009 models such as the 919 have probably the most functionally competent Ipod integration, that's if you have an Ipod and you ever want to be able to play it through the receiver.

Also, both the Denon and PIoneer have a feature which levels out the sound going from loud commercials to quieter programming. My general impression, albeit a somewhat vague one, has been that the Denon's is better but I can't say for sure.

The Denon and Pioneer brands have roughly equivalent solid reputations for reliability, so you can't really favor one or the other from that standpoint.

There are certainly other considerations which might sway you in one direction or another, even another brand altogether with their respective receivers at a similar price point. Based upon your stated usage needs, which are pretty basic (i.e., "I will mainly be watching TV, Bluray, Gaming"), I'm sure many different receivers would work well for your situation. The vsx-919 would certainly qualify as one of several fine choices.

Personally, I would tend to favor the Pioneer because it has some additional sound tweaking potential with it's MCACC EQ software, which can be overridden manually to a great extent than, for example, Denon's Audyssey EQ software. But if you have no interest in playing around with this type of built-in EQ software beyond the automated option that both brands have, then my preference should have no bearing upon your decision.

#11 ·
The 919 is a great unit and probably the best new value on market atm. For reference, this price is what the Yamaha 465 currently lists for on sale, and frankly, it's not even in the same league as the 919. I don't have any experience with the higher end Audysee (Multi-EQ?) that I think all the Denon's use, but Advanced MCACC is a significant improvement over the lower end Audysee (2EQ?) you find on most every other receiver in this price range.

#12 ·
I was considering both the VSX919 and the Denon 1610. The AVR1610 has a 98% identical sibling known as the AVR590. Denon does this with all their receivers. They come out with a consumer friendly version, as well as the same receiver with a few custom installer features. So the 590/1610 are virtually the same. The 1910/790, etc. The CI version is always priced a bit higher and released earlier than the consumer versions. That being said, I bought the 590 over the 919VSX. I found a great deal (still going on) at US Appliance, who are an authorized dealer. I also read that Pioneer's manual is just as non-user friendly as the Denon, so that was not an issue either.

#14 ·
Considering how crammed the binding posts are, banana plugs are probably the only way to go.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuf /forum/post/16684589

........That being said, I bought the 590 over the 919VSX. I found a great deal (still going on) at US Appliance, who are an authorized dealer. I also read that Pioneer's manual is just as non-user friendly as the Denon, so that was not an issue either.

I stumbled upon your thread in the highdef forum asking about these two receivers. Hopefully, the posters over there didn't influence you too much in going with the Denon as I thought the "advice" provided by two of them was questionable at best, ridiculous at worst.
Again, as I stated in my previous post, the Denon is another fine receiver choice, depending upon your needs. But it's a toss-up type choice, certainly not an obvious one in favor of Denon as those two posters seem to think.

But now that you have the 590, be sure to check out batpig's Denon guide. He's a member here who has built up alot of knowledge about Denon receivers. In addition ot his contributions on this forum, he now has his own website with Denon information. It can effectively replace the Denon instructional manual as your primary source of guidance.

#17 ·

Quote:

I was considering both the VSX919 and the Denon 1610. The AVR1610 has a 98% identical sibling known as the AVR590. Denon does this with all their receivers. They come out with a consumer friendly version, as well as the same receiver with a few custom installer features. So the 590/1610 are virtually the same. The 1910/790, etc. The CI version is always priced a bit higher and released earlier than the consumer versions. That being said, I bought the 590 over the 919VSX. I found a great deal (still going on) at US Appliance, who are an authorized dealer. I also read that Pioneer's manual is just as non-user friendly as the Denon, so that was not an issue either.

Gus, I'm new to this site and interested in the vsx 919. I'm curious about your suggestion. Isn't Denon's avr590 a 5.1 ch receiver? What else makes it competitive to the vsx 919 (in your opinion, for your needs)?

#19 ·

Quote:

I found a great deal (still going on) at US Appliance, who are an authorized dealer.

I don't see them listed anywhere on Denon's site. Are you sure they're an authorized dealer?

#21 ·
oK, 1 last question about this pioneer

So say you calibrate your equipment with the integrated calibration system, after that, do you still need to set the Xover Manually for the speakers???, or will this automatic calibration will take care of that?

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic /forum/post/16698903

oK, 1 last question about this pioneer

So say you calibrate your equipment with the integrated calibration system, after that, do you still need to set the Xover Manually for the speakers???, or will this automatic calibration will take care of that?

It's supposed to do it for you, but room correction often gets it wrong so it's a good idea to look over the settings it has chosen.

#24 ·
I just got this receiver and like it except that I'm kind of perplexed about trying to hook up my PC via HDMI through the receiver. I have an HDMI > DVI cable going from my PC to the VSX-919AH. I also have 3.5mm plug to R/L RCA cable going to my receiver. Only problem is that I'm not seeing anything about being able to use analog audio with HDMI video. Is this even possible? This is a deal breaker for me and I'm going to return the receiver if it can't do this.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanzen07 /forum/post/16722686

I just got this receiver and like it except that I'm kind of perplexed about trying to hook up my PC via HDMI through the receiver. I have an HDMI > DVI cable going from my PC to the VSX-919AH. I also have 3.5mm plug to R/L RCA cable going to my receiver. Only problem is that I'm not seeing anything about being able to use analog audio with HDMI video. Is this even possible? This is a deal breaker for me and I'm going to return the receiver if it can't do this.

First off - Welcome the AVS forums!

You need to press the Signal Select button on the remote (Signal Sel?) until the audio changes from HDMI to the analog inputs. The receiver has multiple analog inputs per source, and defaults to HDMI if present. Since there is no audio on your HDMI cable, you can't hear anything.

If I recall, the settings are AUTO, HDMI, Digital (Optical), and then Analog, which is what you want.

Once you make this change it should work for you...

#26 ·
Even like others i am really torn between Pioneer VSX-919AH-K and the Denon AVR 1910 model, i indeed do like the IPOD connectivity feature, GUI i really don't care as it is only used during setup and you don't look at it after that.

But how is the sound quality and video quality of both the receivers particularly lets says you up convert Wii via the HDMI. I had the Onkyo 605 model and heard good reviews on the Denon receivers in general

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.