denon 1609-1709 Use hdmi switching function or skip? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2009, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting a new 1709 and planning -
I have enough hdmi switches in back of TV so is there any advantage to using the hdmi switch on the receiver?

Does the receiver "read" the audio from the hdmi and amplify it? (I know audio doesn't pass to tv, but maybe I won't care).

Does the optical audio from a component send more information than the hdmi?

Thanks for any insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The only real advantage is if you have any source that can output HD sound over HDMI - and thats if the receiver can capture and process HDMI audio, and the 1709 does not.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:

Does the receiver "read" the audio from the hdmi and amplify it? (I know audio doesn't pass to tv, but maybe I won't care).

actually you have it backwards. the 1709 will NOT take audio over HDMI, it will act simply as a 3xHDMI switch and pass whatever it gets to the TV. so it WILL pass it to the TV.

you will need a separate audio connection (optical or coax digital audio) for any source with HDMI which you wish to hear in surround sound.

whether you use the receiver to switch the video is up to you; if you switch at the receiver, you can keep your receiver tuned to one HDMI input all the time. If you don't, you will have to change both TV inputs and receiver inputs when you switch sources.

think of it as a 3xHDMI switch embedded inside of a receiver.

the 1709 does have component video upconversion for all analog video, so any non-HDMI video sources can all be switched in the receiver and passed to the TV with a component video cable. So, if you choose to use the receiver for video switching, you will need TWO cables going to your TV: one HDMI for HDMI switching, and one component video for analog video (s-video/composite/component) switching.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2009, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, nice info on your links, Batpig:! I'll try both when the receiver arrives.

Guess I'll try to "commit" to using the 1709 as the switch, and .... well, here is the hard part, even with the harmony remote... train the family. Sigh.

Thanks for the info and quick replies.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-26-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
if you have a Harmony remote, then the whole "inconvenience of switching" issue goes away and the only real advantage to switching at the receiver is that you have fewer cables running to the TV. it still may be worth it for that reason, if only to save clutter going behind the TV or especially if you are mounting the TV and running cables in the wall.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6 of 6 Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Uh huh. You just don't know my family. They are not well trained, or the can't find the remote, or they prefer their other remote... I can't figure it out. Maybe if it get's too complicated with multiple remotes they'll go my way. Meanwhile, I tend to do things like send audio both to tv and to receiver and duplicate a lot of things to make it foolproof.

Cross fingers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page