using optical audio and dvi to hdmi from pc to pioneer 9130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-28-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a pioneer 9130 which is apparently the canadian rebadged Elite VSX-03 from what I read on other posts.

Im trying to use the reciever with my pc. Dvi to hdmi from my pc to reciever and optical audio from sound card to reciever. I have the input tv/sat set to hdmi input 1 and optical audio input 1.

getting video but no sound. When i unplug the hdmi from pc to reciever the sound will turn on and stay on. if i unplug the monitor sound will clip.

set hdmi to passthrough and niether of those 2 things happen (no sound ever)

i will be greatfull for any sudgestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-28-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Go back to the setup where your video works. Go into the OSD menu and see what the audio assignment is for the video (video #1 etc) you have your computer video coming in on. If you have an option to select "auto poll" for audio turn it off and select optical 1 or whatever port you have your toslink cable going to.

I'm not familiar with the Pioneer menus - hence my generalities for instructions. If it were HK or Onkyo I'd have a much better idea - but these things for the most part all work very similarly.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 AM

I just came across this topic - I have the same issue.

Setting up a HTPC with Windows media center - no audio from the Pioneer when the DVI to HDMI cable is plugged into any of the DVI in's on the Pioneer.

As the first posted stated - audio will work if I unplug the video cable (DVI to HDMI) ...

Tried HDMI Audi passthrough in the menu - no change.

Anyone have any updates on this issue?

Cheers
post #4 of 5 Old 05-03-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Sadly, my reading of the manual is that the Pioneer AVR can't do what you want. Pioneer's source selection menus have fixed input signal associations and don't seem to include the option of setting audio input priorities. If an HDMI video signal is present on one of its inputs, I don't see any way to tell the 9130 to use the corresponding optical audio instead. (HDMI audio is transmitted in the vertical blanking interval of the HDMI video signal.)

There's a possible workaround, though:
Some models of receivers will continue to display the most recent video source when you select an audio-only input. If your PC has a coaxial (RCA) digital audio output, you could connect it to the AVR's CD RCA digital input. First, select the AVR's video input where you've plugged in the DVI/HDMI cable so the video is being displayed, then select the CD input. Does that work for you?

(I don't have a Pioneer, so I can't test this workaround. I know it works on my Marantz, though: I've used it to provide background music for an otherwise silent slide show.)

Selden
post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1 View Post

I just came across this topic - I have the same issue.

Setting up a HTPC with Windows media center - no audio from the Pioneer when the DVI to HDMI cable is plugged into any of the DVI in's on the Pioneer.

As the first posted stated - audio will work if I unplug the video cable (DVI to HDMI) ...

Tried HDMI Audi passthrough in the menu - no change.

Anyone have any updates on this issue?

Cheers

I'm assuming you want to pair the sound from an optical input with the video from an HDMI input.

Simply assign the HDMI and optical to an unused input. For that you need to go into the INPUT SETUP menu, and assign those cables to the same input.

Next, switch to that input. Now, you should be able to see the video from the HDMI input. Next, press SIGNAL SEL on the remote, and bring that to DIGITAL, instead of AUTO. If left on AUTO, it will use HDMI for audio, force it to use DIGITAL (optical).

That should, hopefully solve your problem.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page