*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 2310CI / 890 Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 7217 Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 963
I am not an owner but this has been confirmed numerous times and is in the specs. Here is a youtube video someone took of the on-screen GUI (from a 3310CI but it's the same on 2310CI):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnoANxXLOgQ

and here is a photo posted in the 3310CI thread of the volume display:
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1247554532

Quote:

I am replacing a 2805 with the 890. The 2805 had no HDMI inputs. I think I know the answer to my question.Can you run HDMI from my cable box through the 890 and to my TV, and be able to somehow watch TV but listen to another source? With my 2805, I would always have the TV on but muted and listen to CD's, Lps, etc..

Tim -- I know where you are coming from, I use the "Video Select" feature a lot and this feature still carries over on newer models (I had a 2105 originally), however it does not work with ANY HDMI input sources (audio or video). I believe this is due to stupid HDCP copyright restrictions on digital content.... anyway, there are a variety of workarounds but the simplest is to leave your cable box hooked up with component video instead of HDMI.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 7217 Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I am not an owner but this has been confirmed numerous times and is in the specs. Here is a youtube video someone took of the on-screen GUI (from a 3310CI but it's the same on 2310CI):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnoANxXLOgQ

and here is a photo posted in the 3310CI thread of the volume display:
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1247554532

Tim -- I know where you are coming from, I use the "Video Select" feature a lot and this feature still carries over on newer models (I had a 2105 originally), however it does not work with ANY HDMI input sources (audio or video). I believe this is due to stupid HDCP copyright restrictions on digital content.... anyway, there are a variety of workarounds but the simplest is to leave your cable box hooked up with component video instead of HDMI.

Thxs; batpig!
post #273 of 7217 Old 07-20-2009, 11:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazn1 View Post

I'll 2nd that. I've had mine for just a couple of days now and finally have it all set up and I'm loving it too! I did have a minor "installer" issue, I had the green and blue component connectors switched on the DVD player but finally realized the error and now watching DVD's once again. The sound is great, a lot better than my 9 year old Onkyo. P.S. love the Harmony remote too

I'll 3rd that. I've had mine since Thursday, auto setup and tweaked on Saturday. This AVR is awesome.
post #274 of 7217 Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

JChin:

Thanks for the 6th Ave info.

I went online and found that the coupon code is in fact good for a $213 discount on the 2310 with free UPS ground.

I then called 6th Ave for more info. He didn't know how long the coupon would be good for....

Code was still good as of yesterday. Just back from vacation and so glad to get this deal. Can't wait for the 2310 to arrive (even though I'll be waiting another week plus to hook it up after I move to my new place)
post #275 of 7217 Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 PM

Greetings to the forum, hoping you guys can help me out. I'm running:

Samgsung UN-46B8000
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240HD
Denon AVR-2310CI
Samsung BD-P1600
Logitech Squeezebox Duet

All is connected to the Denon via HDMI except for the Logitech SB which is piped in via OPT1

I don't see a way to simply watch (muted) video from another source while listening to the SqueezeBox Duet.

I've messed around quite a bit but see no solution other than NOT running HDMI and/or just enjoying the "Denon" screen saver while listening to music.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to mute out the HDMI audio? Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Aside from that, I'm LOVING my new 2310. It just CRUSHES my old Onkyo TX-NR801 it replaced..

Thanks in advance.
post #276 of 7217 Old 07-20-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

this is well covered in my FAQ, 4th or 5th question in:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

short answer: you can't use the VIDEO SELECT feature with HDMI sources. See pg 38 of your manual (under "Video Select")

there are workarounds if you want to get creative...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #277 of 7217 Old 07-20-2009, 04:24 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtim View Post

All is connected to the Denon via HDMI except for the Logitech SB which is piped in via OPT1

I don't see a way to simply watch (muted) video from another source while listening to the SqueezeBox Duet.

A workaround that BP is referring to: As long as your input source has OPT1 selected in the input menu, then you can use the INPUT MODE button on the remote to cycle off of the HDMI audio source to the SB audio.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #278 of 7217 Old 07-20-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_devilz View Post

Hey bouda Did you use any promotional code at E Expo. Or did you talk to a sales representative.

Sorry for the late response... I did both, they were out online of the 2310 so I called and used "employee" got it for almost 40% off, way cheaper then the 6th ave deal. But, I had to ask for the tracking number today, never received it via email as they said I would (I think other said the same thing). Worth the savings if it gets delivered...
post #279 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 AM

hi guys, just wanted to update everyone, I ordered the 2310 from E Expo using the employee discount code. My receiver arrived yesterday in perfect condition and so far am loving what this thing can do.

The setup was a breeze and Audyssey is truly amazing...it took all but 10 minutes to get my Energy speakers and separate sub calibrated and the sound so far has been nothing short of hair raising!

The onscreen gui is very intuitive with the hdmi overlay and everything has a nice smooth transition display to it. I have the AVR connected to my Panasonic 50PZ800u plasma and am impressed with the video scaling performance of the ABT 2010. I thought my TV's scaler was pretty good, but I think the ABT definitely has a slight edge in keeping the video clean and noise free.

I do have one question about my subwoofer settings...when I play blu-ray's like the Dark Knight with very low frequency explosion type sounds....I am getting this "popping" noise from the sub, almost like the sub is getting too much bass and can't handle it....is there some settings on the 2310 that can help minimize the popping noise from the sub...I never had that sound when connected to my previous receiver.

Any input regarding the sub issue would be greatly appreciate...thank you all for your expertise in helping users like us make a good choice on a solid feature rich receiver.
post #280 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

that "popping" noise is your sub either bottoming out or "port chuffing", thanks to the combination of (1) Dynamic EQ attempting to maintain "reference" tonal balance and boosting the bass plus (2) a ridiculously "hot" soundtrack (The Dark Knight) with massive LFE effects.

Some of the new action movie BD releases have just insane low-freq. action going on, and if you think about it your typical consumer sub with a small enclosure and a single 10" or 12" woofer is simply not capable of truly reproducing theater level bass. Most of the time, you would never notice, but for some of these action movies you can hit the limits of your subwoofer.

If it sounds great with everything else, I would just chalk it up to the ridiculous bass levels of that movie and focus your energy on fighting the "upgrade creep" that will soon sink in as you guiltily find yourself reading threads in the subwoofer forum...

For movies that give you that problem, you can temporarily just go to the surround parameters and adjust the LFE to "-10dB" and it should take care of it.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #281 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:

that "popping" noise is your sub either bottoming out or "port chuffing", thanks to the combination of (1) Dynamic EQ attempting to maintain "reference" tonal balance and boosting the bass plus (2) a ridiculously "hot" soundtrack (The Dark Knight) with massive LFE effects.

Some of the new action movie BD releases have just insane low-freq. action going on, and if you think about it your typical consumer sub with a small enclosure and a single 10" or 12" woofer is simply not capable of truly reproducing theater level bass. Most of the time, you would never notice, but for some of these action movies you can hit the limits of your subwoofer.

If it sounds great with everything else, I would just chalk it up to the ridiculous bass levels of that movie and focus your energy on fighting the "upgrade creep" that will soon sink in as you guiltily find yourself reading threads in the subwoofer forum...

For movies that give you that problem, you can temporarily just go to the surround parameters and adjust the LFE to "-10dB" and it should take care of it.

Thanks batpig, it sounds amazing with every other kind of soundtrack and or music (I'm getting solid spatial imaging and a wide 3-d like sound stage that I've never heard before)....it's only with those very low frequencies that my sub seems to pop (eventhough it's rated at 250w RMS and is specd to hit below 28hz).

I will try lowering the db level and see if that helps....as always appreciate your insight.
post #282 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

A workaround that BP is referring to: As long as your input source has OPT1 selected in the input menu, then you can use the INPUT MODE button on the remote to cycle off of the HDMI audio source to the SB audio.

jdsmoothie, THANK YOU! I was hoping it was something simple I was overlooking rather than that being a limit of the Denon. Works great, I love this unit!

The video signal messed up once, the GUI was all out of sync and I had to power-cycle the AVR.
post #283 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 01:18 PM

2310 owner here did the Auto setup (Audyssey). In checking my speaker distances my sub measures 26.2 feet which is not right. Should I go in and manually change it? Will that effect the other speakers being it was "Auto setup"? Also why did it measure it wrong? I remember reading something on this but could not find it using search. Thanks guys!
post #284 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

this is covered in the Audyssey section of my FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

the Audyssey FAQ at Audyssey.com:
http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html#subwoofer

and the Audyssey setup guide (section VII.D):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #285 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:

this is covered in the Audyssey section of my FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

the Audyssey FAQ at Audyssey.com:
http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html#subwoofer

and the Audyssey setup guide (section VII.D):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Thanks much bud!
post #286 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 02:33 PM

Batpig,

When I email harmony to add your Entire device profile, do I need to first add the 3808 or do they do that when copying the profile?
post #287 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 03:43 PM

I think i'm going to buy this receiver to. Is there an easy way to conncept an ipod to the receiver and get great (surround) sound?
post #288 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 03:48 PM

So it's been a few days now and I really like this AVR. I am having one minor issue I'm hoping to get help with.

I have:
Hitachi RPTV
DirecTV HR-22/100
Sony DVD/VCR player

The problem is when I am in the DirecTV "guide" or when I watch a DVD, Star Wars 1 and 2, or watch an HD movie that I recorded like Beowolf, the picture seems to have been shifted up. If it is a letterbox movie the black bars at top and bottom are not equal. The bar at the bottom is twice as big as the bar at the top. That is why I say the picture has been shifted up. I hope I explained that well enough.

Any thoughts?
post #289 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Does it only happen from the DVR or does it happen with any input source? And does it happen when you plug the source straight into the TV (vs running video through the receiver)? It's not something the AVR should really have any impact on, I'm guessing it's either something goofy with the cable output or something with the TV.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #290 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda View Post

Batpig,

When I email harmony to add your Entire device profile, do I need to first add the 3808 or do they do that when copying the profile?

I'm not sure but I would assume they can just copy the whole device over from my account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielZ87 View Post

I think i'm going to buy this receiver to. Is there an easy way to conncept an ipod to the receiver and get great (surround) sound?

the easiest way is to just get a standard headphone jack to RCA stereo cable like this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

this is the cheapest way to get sound off the ipod to the receiver, but the disadvantage is (1) you aren't getting the best sound quality possible from the headphone jack (it's a variable level signal affected by the volume on the ipod) and (2) you have zero control of the ipod and it doesn't charge.

once you start spending more money, you can get a simple ipod dock which will at least charge your ipod and give you basic remote control (play/pause/ff/rw) for $50-ish.... at $100+ you can start getting fancier docks with on-screen display and better remote control, something like an Apple TV to host your itunes music and deliver it digitally to the receiver, or a streaming solution like squeezebox if your music is on a networked PC somewhere in the house.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #291 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Does it only happen from the DVR or does it happen with any input source? And does it happen when you plug the source straight into the TV (vs running video through the receiver)? It's not something the AVR should really have any impact on, I'm guessing it's either something goofy with the cable output or something with the TV.

I just double checked, it happens when I play DVD's too. The DVR is off when watching DVD's. So that leave's a possible issue with the TV. I will see if there is anything I can change on the TV settings.
post #292 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:

once you start spending more money, you can get a simple ipod dock which will at least charge your ipod and give you basic remote control (play/pause/ff/rw) for $50-ish.... at $100+ you can start getting fancier docks with on-screen display and better remote control, something like an Apple TV to host your itunes music and deliver it digitally to the receiver, or a streaming solution like squeezebox if your music is on a networked PC somewhere in the house.

DanielZ87, I have the NavDock from Tekkeon (http://www.tekkeon.com/products-navdock.html) and have had very good luck with it. You can find it for less than $90 if you look around. It is very easy - connects with composite AV cables and gives you onscreen menus and complete control over the iPod and, very importantly for me, also keeps it charged. I do turn up the source level to about +10db (batpig taught me that) and it gets plenty loud and sounds great. Not audiophile great mind you, but I am very, very happy with it.
post #293 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 PM

Between the denon 2310ci vs the pioneer elite vsx-03txh which one is better for sound quality and/or features? Which would be a better receiver for me? Im plugging in a cable box via hdmi, and xbox 360 via hdmi, a wii via component, and a dvd player via component also. Thank You!
post #294 of 7217 Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the advice i will look into it! I'm getting my 2310 today
post #295 of 7217 Old 07-22-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielZ87 View Post

Once you connect your IPOD to the receiver try the Dolby Prologic IIz surround setting (this matrixes the 2 channel stereo into 5.1), it creates a very detailed and full surround stage.
post #296 of 7217 Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 AM

Did I mention I love my 2310?? LOL
post #297 of 7217 Old 07-22-2009, 11:59 AM

The 2310/890 have just arrived in Toronto so I'm sorely tempted to go out and get one to replace a very old AVR I own. However the prudent side of me says to wait until September or so until the early adopters have encountered all the bugs and reported them here.

Do we have any evidence yet as to how bug free the 2310/890 are? One of the things I really like about the 989 I just purchased was that the firmware is rock solid and seems to be bug free. (Contrast this with any Windows PC I've ever owned )

BTW Bay Bloor (2310) and Future Shop/Best Buy (890) are charging the same price, which makes it a no brainer to buy the 2310 from Bay Bloor, given the extra remote and features.
post #298 of 7217 Old 07-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure but I would assume they can just copy the whole device over from my account.

How long does it usually take? Is their a certain email address to send it to? I filled out a form on their support page, received a confirmation email right away, but nothing back since...
post #299 of 7217 Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda View Post

How long does it usually take? Is their a certain email address to send it to? I filled out a form on their support page, received a confirmation email right away, but nothing back since...

The reason you've not heard back is that Logitech support options have changed. They now make you work through the remote software to initiate support. If you've had the device for less than 90 days you can get free support, otherwise it's a $29 charge. As far as I can tell it is only by phone. The email form on the Logitech web site is inactive, even though it lets you fill it out and send. I'd like to get batpig's remote codes, but I'm not willing to spend $29 to do it. I've suggested to Logitech on their forum that they make a unified Denon remote available, but who knows whether they'll do anything. They seem to follow they're own path.
post #300 of 7217 Old 07-22-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

that is just horrible. after 90 days you have to pay $29 to have tech support help you with your remote?!

the thing that is screwed up is that their database is incomplete!! if they would include Dynamic EQ/Vol discretes, channel volume discretes, etc. in their database it wouldn't be an issue.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page