post #3061 of 7220 Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoma44 View Post

So is it that Windows is recognizing the Receiver instead of the screen? How do I change this?

What are the picture size options with your TV? And what about your video card? Can you adjust over/underscan with it?

My ATI 4550 card also lists the 2310 as the display device; short of connecting directly to the TV, I think this is what you'll always see. I have Vista on my media PC, but try this (if it's applicable to Win 7): In Media Center > Settings > TV > Configuration, select "Flat Panel" as type rather than "Television." This solved a problem I had with player software not displaying as fullscreen within VMC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 7220 Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
yeah, the solution is almost certianly going to be on the computer side, there aren't really any settings on the receiver that can affect this (e.g. there is no overscan/underscan control whatsoever). Ideally there is a picture size adjustment on the computer that will allow you to adjust vertical/horizontal size until you get 1:1 pixel mapping.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3063 of 7220 Old 01-17-2010, 09:24 AM

Liked: 10
jdsmoothie - Thanks for the reply

Am I going to have any issues turning up the receiver with 6 ohms speakers? Anyone running Monitor Audio RS6 or RX6 (silver line) with comments?

Again much thanks to all the members on this site as I have read about a million Batpig posts and many others as well.
post #3064 of 7220 Old 01-17-2010, 09:42 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
As the AVR is rated for 6 - 16 ohms, no.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3065 of 7220 Old 01-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have 5.1 system using PSB 700 series speakers. These I think are all full range speakers. I also have a 12" Klipsch sub too. I get real confused as to what I should set my speakers at. SMALL/LARGE ? It sets my fronts as LARGE automatically, but the center and rears are set for small. Should I just keep the fronts on LARGE and the rest on SMALL...as the Auddysey recommends? Trying to get some ideas, since I do like this receiver very much. Has worked great with my media players also.
post #3066 of 7220 Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

yeah, the solution is almost certianly going to be on the computer side, there aren't really any settings on the receiver that can affect this (e.g. there is no overscan/underscan control whatsoever). Ideally there is a picture size adjustment on the computer that will allow you to adjust vertical/horizontal size until you get 1:1 pixel mapping.

I'm just really confused where that is then. Because I went through Media Center and set it to be Flat Screen TV with no effect.

It's also confusing since the last receiver I had (Yamaha) worked with no adjustment. I literally just took that receiver out, and popped this DENON one in, and now there's a problem.

I'm looking for a picture size adjustment somewhere to fix this.

More Info:
My TV: Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-151FD
Receiver: DENON 2310ci
Computer Video Card: ATI Radeon 4870
Connection type: ATI DVI out --> HDMI converter --> HDMI input on receiver --> HDMI input on Plasma TV
post #3067 of 7220 Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just replaced an Onkyo 606 with a Denon 890. One of the primary reasons I bought the Denon was because my Onkyo had terrible issues with speaker noise, especially when I was playing PS3. To my horror, the Denon seems to have the exact same issue. When I am playing a game or watching a movie on my PS3 there is a very noticeable hissing sound that comes from the tweeters on all of my speakers. As I approach reference volumes I can also hear a similar sound coming from my sub. At first I thought it was an interference issue, but I rechecked all of my wiring and all of my speaker wire is clear of power cables. I also noticed that this sound does NOT come out of my speakers if I am watching TV or playing 360/Wii games.

The only thing I can figure is that it has something to do with lpcm. I have also noticed that the hissing gets worse when I enabled Audyssey. When I turn all of the Audyssey EQs off it goes away almost completey. The hiss is especially noticeable at the home screen on the PS3 and during silent parts of blu ray movies.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Is there a chance that it's my PS3?
post #3068 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 02:12 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

I have 5.1 system using PSB 700 series speakers. These I think are all full range speakers. I also have a 12" Klipsch sub too. I get real confused as to what I should set my speakers at. SMALL/LARGE ? It sets my fronts as LARGE automatically, but the center and rears are set for small. Should I just keep the fronts on LARGE and the rest on SMALL...as the Auddysey recommends? Trying to get some ideas, since I do like this receiver very much. Has worked great with my media players also.

In the end it's personal preference that determines which is the best setting for your speakers. However, it's not Audyssey that is making the speaker LARGE/SMALL recommendation, rather, that it is the 2310 that decides whether a speaker is set to LARGE or SMALL. Audyssey (or rather Chris, the co-founder) recommends that ALL speakers be set to SMALL. Beyond that (as noted in your Owner's manual), a minimum crossover of 80hz is suggested for the front mains and center. So set those mains to SMALL as well with a 80hz crossover and let the sub handle those lower level frequencies as it was better designed to do most likely then your front mains.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #3069 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 02:31 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophcy0 View Post

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Is there a chance that it's my PS3?

Did you replace the 606 with another 606 first before getting the 890? As there are different versions of Audyssey used between the 606 and 890 it's not likely anything to do with Audyssey. Also, the fact that you've tried two different mfr AVRs with the same result would lead one to believe it's more likely the PS3 (or some other external cause). At the very least Reset the Microprocessor (p. 68), although doubtful that it will resolve your problem. If you use the Search This Thread button (upper right of webpage) while logged in using the keyword "hiss" you'll find a few posts from owners that have experienced a hiss in their speakers. After reviewing those posts, if you feel any of them is similar to your issue (I do recall one similar to your issue but don't believe the owner posted back with a resolution), send that owner a PM and see if the issue was ever resolved.

post #3070 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 02:45 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Do you have the latest firmware update installed on the ATI 4870?

post #3071 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:

I'm just really confused where that is then. Because I went through Media Center and set it to be Flat Screen TV with no effect.

It's also confusing since the last receiver I had (Yamaha) worked with no adjustment. I literally just took that receiver out, and popped this DENON one in, and now there's a problem.

More Info:
Connection type: ATI DVI out --> HDMI converter --> HDMI input on receiver --> HDMI input on Plasma TV

Open the Catalyst Control Center and look in the top left hand of that screen for a pull down menu. I think you are looking for display/adapter or something along that line (sorry, am not at that computer). Once in that menu, you should see a icon(s) at the bottom that represent your display(s). Right click it and choose the top option (dont remember the name). This opens a sub menu for that monitor and has several tabs at the top with one tab for scaling. Move the scaling slider all the way up and you should be good to go.

Edit: This is all assuming you have the latest drivers installed.
post #3072 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
I just encountered a problem with my 2310. All of a sudden I'm missing a lot of bass. I haven't changed any setting or anything. I turned it on this afternoon to play xbox and the missing frequencies were obviously noticable immediately. I watched some tv and a bluray to see if it was source dependent but I have the same problem across all sources.

There is some low freq coming from the sub, just seems to be very little.

I checked everything I could think of on the AVR. Checked connections at the back, they all seem tight. Checked speaker settings - all set at small, crossed over at 150hz, which is what Audyssey setup recommended. LFE is set at 120hz. I don't know any other setting to look at... There is nowhere to see where the sub is actually crossed at right? My sub's crossover is set to max - 120hz.

Help?? Is the next step to reset the processor or is there something else to look at?

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #3073 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Did you replace the 606 with another 606 first before getting the 890? As there are different versions of Audyssey used between the 606 and 890 it's not likely anything to do with Audyssey. Also, the fact that you've tried two different mfr AVRs with the same result would lead one to believe it's more likely the PS3 (or some other external cause). At the very least Reset the Microprocessor (p. 68), although doubtful that it will resolve your problem. If you use the Search This Thread button (upper right of webpage) while logged in using the keyword "hiss" you'll find a few posts from owners that have experienced a hiss in their speakers. After reviewing those posts, if you feel any of them is similar to your issue (I do recall one similar to your issue but don't believe the owner posted back with a resolution), send that owner a PM and see if the issue was ever resolved.

I did not try replacing the 606 first because by the time I noticed the issue with the 606 it was too late to return it (I had some really crappy speakers when I first got the 606. It wasn't until I upgraded my speakers that I noticed the issue). From what I have read in the 606 thread, the hissing was very, very common for that receiver.

After doing a bit more searching it appears that I am not the only person who experiences hissing with the PS3. No one seems to know of a solution though. I'll try searching through this thread for similar issues and troubleshoot accordingly. Thanks for your help.
post #3074 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:

More Info:

Take a look at this thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1038744). I think it gives a good explanation of where the setting is located. I've read about this in the HTPC forum and I think it is not real obvious where the setting is located.

post #3075 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 11:09 AM

Hi batpig, jdsmoothie and anyone else who might be able to help.

I no longer have the premature shutoff issue with my new amp, but have a new issue.

I have two cable set-top boxes.

One connects to the AVR by composite cables and has no problems.
The second box connects via HDMI to the V Aux input. I had the same setup with the old amp.

When I switch from a source to V Aux (my second cable box), I get the picture immediately, but the I only hear sound for a second or two seconds, before it cuts off. I then have to "jig" or coax the sound, by changing the sound mode for example pressing the "CINEMA" button or "SIMU" button on the rear of the remote control.

It doesn't matter which mode I am when I switch to V. Aux. The AVR needs a nudge in order to make audio available.

Any ideas how to solve this issue?
post #3076 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poraxan View Post

Take a look at this thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1038744). I think it gives a good explanation of where the setting is located. I've read about this in the HTPC forum and I think it is not real obvious where the setting is located.

This is the old setup screen. If you have older drivers, this screen is what you are looking for. If you have updated to newer drivers, this screen is hidden as explained in my above post.
post #3077 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 12:05 PM

Bought myself a 2310 for Christmas and have been lurking these forums ever since. I just love the way my PS3 (games and blurays) sounds through the 2310!

I drive my main front speakers with a power amp (or actually one 2-channel power amp per front speaker - I'm a sucker for power ) connected to preouts on the 2310. The power amps are switched on and off by the trigger signal from the 2310.

I've read in the manual that, when headphones are connected, the speaker outputs are shut down automatically. However, the preouts are not, so I can still hear sound though my front speakers.

Is there any way to configure the 2310 so that

a) the preouts are disabled, or

b) the trigger signal is shut off

(automatically) when headphones are connected?

I suppose I could define new inputs having the trigger signal off, but then I would have to do that for every input I'd like to use headphones with. There has to be a better way to do it...
post #3078 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric View Post

This is the old setup screen. If you have older drivers, this screen is what you are looking for. If you have updated to newer drivers, this screen is hidden as explained in my above post.

Then I think this is it.
post #3079 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewed View Post

Bought myself a 2310 for Christmas and have been lurking these forums ever since. I just love the way my PS3 (games and blurays) sounds through the 2310!

I drive my main front speakers with a power amp (or actually one 2-channel power amp per front speaker - I'm a sucker for power ) connected to preouts on the 2310. The power amps are switched on and off by the trigger signal from the 2310.

I've read in the manual that, when headphones are connected, the speaker outputs are shut down automatically. However, the preouts are not, so I can still hear sound though my front speakers.

I suppose I could define new inputs having the trigger signal off, but then I would have to do that for every input I'd like to use headphones with. There has to be a better way to do it...

I didn't think the 2310ci had preouts for an external amp??? Sorry, not answering your question I know.

post #3080 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewed View Post

So as not to confuse folks, it's important to note that you have a non USA/CA 2310 which does not have pre-outs, while the EU 2310 does.

a) AFAIK, they are always HOT

b) AFAIK, the only work around would be as you suggested.

Edit: You could probably use a Harmony remote to do what you're after.

post #3081 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 02:37 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by activebass View Post

It doesn't matter which mode I am when I switch to V. Aux. The AVR needs a nudge in order to make audio available.

Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Although this sounds like an HDMI handshake problem, you could still very well have a defective AVR. Give the HDMI Reset a try and see if that helps. Also, make sure that HDMI-CEC is turned OFF on your TV.

post #3082 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 02:40 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

I just encountered a problem with my 2310. All of a sudden I'm missing a lot of bass.

Help?? Is the next step to reset the processor or is there something else to look at?

Just to confirm ... you're saying the last time you turned on the AVR the sub was fine? Check the volume on the back of the sub to make sure someone didn't mess with it.

post #3083 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to confirm ... you're saying the last time you turned on the AVR the sub was fine? Check the volume on the back of the sub to make sure someone didn't mess with it.

Yep checked the volume level on the sub and it was fine. I went and did the test tones on the AVR and got signals on all but the sub. Then I went to the sub and messed with the low pass setting, as soon as I monkeyed around with it, viola I had sound again. It was set at 120hz like I said but just turning it down and back up again seemed to resolve the issue....

It's a 10 year old sub, perhaps time to think about replacing it? Any idea why this would happen? Seems flukey.

post #3084 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on some monitor audio rs8's or PSB T6's...just wondering what speakers sound the best on this receiver?
post #3085 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 03:24 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

It's a 10 year old sub, perhaps time to think about replacing it? Any idea why this would happen? Seems flukey.

I'd give the mfr a call and see what they suggest, otherwise ... yup ... sounds like a new sub might be next on the shopping list.

post #3086 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Just got done setting up my new 890. I have moved onto reprogramming my harmony remote. I would like to have a button in my activities that allows me to scroll through the Dynamic Volume modes. So far I can only find a button that will turn it on and off. Is there one for this that I am missing?
post #3087 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 04:24 PM
585-645-1006

Did you get batpig's account downloaded to your Harmony? There should be three new discrete buttons for each of the Dyn VOL settings.

post #3088 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Did you get batpig's account downloaded to your Harmony? There should be three new discrete buttons for each of the Dyn VOL settings.

Just found what you were talking about, I also found the hex code for more functions that Logitech can add to your profile.

Thanks for the quick reply!
post #3089 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 PM

Liked: 14
How does one go about downloading batpig's Harmony account? I have a 550 and have brought it out of retirement.
post #3090 of 7220 Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 PM
585-645-1006

Click on the link in his sig for more info.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page