2Likes

post #361 of 7245 Old 07-24-2009, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

you get to choose -- there is an "aspect" control for the scaler that can be set either at "normal" (leaves 4:3 as 4:3) or "full" (horizontally stretches 4:3 to 16:9). see pg 38 of the 2310CI manual for video setting control. These settings are memorized BY INPUT so you can have a different set up e.g. for your cable box vs your DVD player.

I have not been able to get this to work. I have my aspect set to FULL and 4:3 stays at 4:3. I've tried inputting it as 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. All the same result. It does upconvert it to 1080p every time, but it is not streached to 16:9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7245 Old 07-24-2009, 08:10 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

you get to choose -- there is an "aspect" control for the scaler that can be set either at "normal" (leaves 4:3 as 4:3) or "full" (horizontally stretches 4:3 to 16:9). see pg 38 of the 2310CI manual for video setting control. These settings are memorized BY INPUT so you can have a different set up e.g. for your cable box vs your DVD player.

there is no ZOOM feature however, only a horizontal stretch option.

don't have the 2310 but I have used a few Denon AVR's (currently a 789) with my RC's and they are a sweet sweet combo there is no reason the 2310 wouldn't sound just as sweet...

That's too bad about the zoom feature; one of the main reasons I'm considering this unit is for the ABT chip; I also have an Onkyo 876 in my main setup which is simply a beast but it's problem is it doesn't auto-pillarbox; however, it does have zoom options; I guess you really can't have it all.

It's good to hear that the Energy's pair up well with Denon, I already bought the speakers and I'm looking for the right receiver to drive them; I hope the 2310 has enough juice; it will be in a 12X12 room; alternatively i could step up to a 3310 but it only seems to weight about 3 more pounds so I can't imagine the amp section is that much better.

Incidentally, how is this unit with video switching and resolution switching; one of my beefs with my Onkyo 876 is when I switch from an SD to an HD channel on my SA8300HD it takes a full 10 seconds for the picture to appear; part of the lag is the SA8300HD itself (about 5 seconds if directly connected to my TV) but the balance is the Onkyo.
post #363 of 7245 Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post

After bouda had success getting batpig's 3808 codes copied to his account, I decided to give it another try (I got no response the previous time I tried). Not only did they do it, it was done in just a couple of hours. So at least for now Logitech is performing relatively simple task like this via email and without charge. Thank you Logitech, bouda, and batpig!

Seriously... don't thank me. I just did what batpig said to do and it worked.
post #364 of 7245 Old 07-24-2009, 10:02 PM

wd40:

I'm also getting LOULD pops when changing HD channels with my 2310, when using my 2 TiVo S-3's (with Comcast). The pops don't occur with the SD channels.

I also have a second issue with the 2310 and the S-3's. When fast forwarding thru commercials, my Panny 200 (720p projector) loses the signal (the screen goes blank) with HD channels.

This is an issue because I need to monitor the commercials as they fly by during fast forwarding, in order to know when to press play, when the show starts again.

This occurs when the video convert is both on or off. There's no blanking when the S-3's are connected directly into the Panny (no 2310 in the loop).

Anyone else having pops and/or blanking issues with your 2310 (or 3310/4310) ???

I'm not a happy camper.......Onkyo ???
post #365 of 7245 Old 07-25-2009, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

Anyone else having pops and/or blanking issues with your 2310 (or 3310/4310) ????

I am not having any problem with pops or blanking. I've had a couple of times when switching to my Mac Mini input that I don't get video. I haven't spent any time tracking down the problem, but I think it might have something to do with the way I have my Harmony One set up, as I don't think it happened when using the Denon remote. All in all I'm very impressed with the unit.
post #366 of 7245 Old 07-25-2009, 01:11 PM

Looking at both the 790 and the 890. I am on a fence as to which of these two to get. I have a B&K 307 which is having problems with my new Direct TV HD DVR HR22-100. The sound issues that plague the older recievers. Figure to get a new HDMI reciever to get all the new sound codecs Dolby TrueHD etc plus Audyssey souinds interesting. Just wondering is it worth $200 for 15 more watts, a better Anchor Bay Technologies chip, and a somewhat better GUI interface. Also would there be a sound improvement going from 6 year old technology the B&K sound really great just do not want to get a newer reciever to find out my older one sounds better. The software upgrade to fix the sound issue with the DVR would cost as much as the 890 plus I would have to ship it and such. One last thing is the upverting on the Denon so good that I should let it do all the upverting rather than my Sony 2020, the HR22-100 and the PS3. Thanks for any info.
post #367 of 7245 Old 07-25-2009, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
please don't double post.

the B&K was a $3000+ unit, I honestly think you should not be looking for a $500 entry level unit coming from that.

the "is it worth it?" question will never get an answer, only you can decide that part. I listed the differences on post 1, decide if you will use those extra features and what your budget can handle.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #368 of 7245 Old 07-25-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

Incidentally, how is this unit with video switching and resolution switching; one of my beefs with my Onkyo 876 is when I switch from an SD to an HD channel on my SA8300HD it takes a full 10 seconds for the picture to appear; part of the lag is the SA8300HD itself (about 5 seconds if directly connected to my TV) but the balance is the Onkyo.

I'd like to know too because my Onkyo 875 takes just as long and is very annoying for that reason. I now bypass my 875 for my cable box and the delay is only 2 seconds (SA8300 into a Viera TV), and I'm so much happier.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #369 of 7245 Old 07-25-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:

the B&K was a $3000+ unit, I honestly think you should not be looking for a $500 entry level unit coming from that.

Back when I bought the B&K I was making hand over fist in the stock market Heck I paid cash for my BMW with money I made off options. That time has come and gone. At this point I am buying what I can afford and $800 is about what I can afford. Would figure with the newest technology true HD sound etc. and Audyssey it may even surpass my B&K in sound quality. Would just like to change channels fast forward without the sound going out. Tried everything the only other option is to upgrade. Eight years ago the B&K was pricey due to it being the newest tech. Heck when HD first came out I paid $900 for a Direct TV HD receiver now they give them away with DVR included. Had a Pioneer Elite TV that I paid $6000 for 8 years ago one of the first HD Theater screens. Bought a Sony 2020 for only $1400 and the picture quality beats it. 8 year old technology is starting to show its age even on the highest end units. Just want to know what quality of sound I should expect.
post #370 of 7245 Old 07-25-2009, 07:50 PM

I have found that when I set the video output format of my TiVo S-3's to 720p, there's no blanking and no pops with HD channels.

I was using native on the S-3's, with the 2310 converting the video to 720p.

So, the 2310's video processor doesn't work for me. It's one of the main reasons why I purchased the 2310. I wanted the 2310's chip to, hopefully, convert Comcast's SD to a viewable picture on my 159" screen.

This confirms a personal rule that I have: Purchase from a dealer with a no-restocking fee policy, so that if you find that the gear doesn't work with the other devices in your HT, you can return it without it costing you an arm and a leg. I'd be real p.o.'d if I had to pay a 10%-20% restocking fee plus shipping to return the receiver.

Looks like I'll be returning the 2310 on Monday. I'm off to the new Onkyo threads.
post #371 of 7245 Old 07-25-2009, 10:01 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1606
Quote:

This occurs when the video convert is both on or off. There's no blanking when the S-3's are connected directly into the Panny (no 2310 in the loop).

The Video Convert feature effects the conversion of a video signal from one type of cable to another (eg. component to HDMI) so if you have an HDMI cable going from the TiVo to the 2310 and another HDMI going from the 2310 to the projector, it shouldn't have any effect whether it was ON or OFF. What happens when you have the i/p Scaler set to "Analog and HDMI" and the Resolution set to 720p or 1080i or 1080p rather than AUTO? Are you also implying that the ABT chip does a better job of upscaling SD video then does either the HD TiVo or the Panny projector?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #372 of 7245 Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 AM

Liked: 11
Does anyone know if the 2310ci can upscale a pal signal 576i/p to 1080p50?
post #373 of 7245 Old 07-26-2009, 04:24 AM
585-645-1006

This description of the ABT 2010 chip in the 2310 would seem to indicate it can. I would call Denon to confirm though as the capability may have been disabled for the US models.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #374 of 7245 Old 07-26-2009, 06:47 AM

Thanks! I have emailed Jeffrey Tallmadge. Se what he says.
post #375 of 7245 Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I finally powered on my new 2310 yesterday and noticed a couple of major issues with my 2 HDMI sources:
1) Aspect ratio switching is non existant with up-conversion
2) Can't control individual HDMI input characteristics. I want HDMI 1 as passthrough for my Sky+ HD and SD DVD upconversion for HDMI 2. If I attempt to set them individually, they both change.

WTF??
post #376 of 7245 Old 07-26-2009, 07:29 AM
585-645-1006

1. Up-conversion involves the Video Convert setting which is not related to the Aspect setting. Confirm i/p Scaler is set to "Analog and HDMI" for your HDMI 2 source.
2. You should have i/p Scaler set to OFF for your HDMI 1 source and ON for your HDMI 2 source. If you are not able to do that, then try Resetting the Microprocessor.

post #377 of 7245 Old 07-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I saw the "Aspect" setting in User Guide, but it seems to imply an either/or functionality. No hint of flexibility of ouput.
post #378 of 7245 Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 AM

I purchased a 2310CI over the weekend. I also own a 989, which is (was, has been replaced by the 990) one rung higher in the Denon product hierarchy. Here are a few initial impressions. (I can't compare audio quality between the two, as the 989 is hooked up to full range speakers in a large room and the 2310 is hooked up to a satellite/sub system in a small room.)

Overall it works well and I'm quite happy with the purchase. I don't have any comments on the video performance because my source material is always my Blu-ray player (which also upconverts DVDs) so there isn't much for the 2310 to do other than pass the 1080p signal along.

1. The features & functions & user interface are broadly similar to the 989. This is a real plus, as it keeps life simple for me and my spouse.

2. It seems to run slightly hotter than the 989.

3. The GUI is nice. Kind of wish the 989 had had it but oh well that's life.

4. I was getting odd values during Audyssey setup which I eventually tracked down to a damaged center speaker - another value of using the Audyssey technology! (Of course now I need a new speaker, oh well!)

5. There is a row of buttons at the bottom of the glass display. The labels for the buttons are unreadable except in the brightest light. Very poor industrial design here.

6. The 2310 has a shallow cabinet - almost 2 inches less deep than its bigger bretheren. This was a key reason that I purchased this particular model, it had to fit into a shallow cabinet.

7. There seems to be a (very) slight AC power hum over the speakers. Kind of surprised at this, in this day and age. I haven't yet figured out whether this is intrinsic to the 2310 or whether I need to reroute my speaker cables further away from the power cords.

8. As the 2310 powers a system often used for background listening, I've come to really like Dynamic Volume. I now find myself wishing that Dynamic Volume was available on the Zone 2 output. I guess since Dynamic Volume relies on Dynamic Equalization which relies on the Zone 1 Audyssey setup, that isn't possible with today's Audyssey - but too bad!
post #379 of 7245 Old 07-27-2009, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

thanks for the feedback

Quote:

I can't compare audio quality between the two, as the 989 is hooked up to full range speakers in a large room and the 2310 is hooked up to a satellite/sub system in a small room.

if you felt a little crazy one day (maybe when the wife is out of town for the weekend ) if you could swap the two units and compare sound quality, you would be a hero for this thread

Quote:

It seems to run slightly hotter than the 989.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the new video processor -- a lot of people wonder why their receivers still run hot when they use external amps, and a lot of that heat is thrown off by the video processing / HDMI section of the receiver. On my 789 the hottest part is the back right corner of the unit, right above the HDMI inputs/output, and it's hot regardless of how hard I'm driving the system.

Quote:

There seems to be a (very) slight AC power hum over the speakers. Kind of surprised at this, in this day and age. I haven't yet figured out whether this is intrinsic to the 2310

there is zero chance it is intrinsic to the receiver -- that would be a poor design!! power hums can be a chore to track down, but with some investigative time and process of elimination (e.g. plugging and unplugging components systematically) you should be able to track down the culprit.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #380 of 7245 Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

I saw the "Aspect" setting in User Guide, but it seems to imply an either/or functionality. No hint of flexibility of ouput.

yes, it is either/or -- you either set it to stretch 4:3 signals (full) or you set it to pass through 4:3 at the same aspect ration (normal).

the "flexibility" is that you can set this independently BY INPUT SOURCE, so you don't have to use the same setting for the cable box as the DVD player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcferon View Post

I have not been able to get this to work. I have my aspect set to FULL and 4:3 stays at 4:3. I've tried inputting it as 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. All the same result. It does upconvert it to 1080p every time, but it is not streached to 16:9.

are you SURE you are feeding it a native 4:3 SD signal? many HD channels will broadcast a 4:3 signal but they will add the black bars for broadcast as "HD" 16:9 channels.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #381 of 7245 Old 07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Does anyone know if the 2310 can accept 192Khz TrueHD tracks or 192KHZ LPCM streams (like from a PS3)? Anyone who has the Akira disc can check this out.
post #382 of 7245 Old 07-27-2009, 03:41 PM

Good afternoon,
I am a newbie to Home theater at this level. I have just purchased a Denon AVR 2310CI. I spent extra time in making sure I read the manuals and the very helpful information from batpig's posts.

After connecting everything, the DVD works perfectly but I have no TV. I have Comcast with a cable connection going into Coax2. No picture, no sound-no nothing. No sure why this has occured.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tx
Gulf Blue
post #383 of 7245 Old 07-27-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

first, just to be clear, do you have an external cable box or are you using the internal tuner of your TV? Either way, please try and describe as precisely as possible exactly what cables are going to/from each device.

everything should work provided you have assigned your inputs correctly. this is the key step -- so if you want to use the "TV" input make sure that "Coax-2" has been assigned to this "name".

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #384 of 7245 Old 07-27-2009, 05:13 PM

thanks to batpig for his manuel (simplified)

Here is my problem,i replaced my old denon (8 yrs old no issues) with a new one after reading the posts. In my old one i could barely have the volume knob to a quater and the volume will fill up the whole room (12 by 12).With the new one i have to crank it up to almost full to get a decent sound,i do not know what to do.
Is this a defective unit or what am i doing wrong (i have old paradign speakers which i like and also tried them with TRU audio and same problem please help
post #385 of 7245 Old 07-27-2009, 06:50 PM

Hello all,
I know sound can be a subjective issue but I really would appreciate feedback based on your collective experience with similar equipment as I state below. I have the Yamaha RX-V1600 receiver that I do like. I am thinking about upgrading to the Denon 2310 for few reasons: 1) move the Yamaha to the bedroom to create 2.1 system; 2) get the HD audio codecs; and 3) get more HDMI inputs and overall system versatility.

I currently have a Sony Bravia 50 LCD 1080p, DirecTV HD receiver, PS3, Xbox 360 with HD Drive, Klipsch RF-52 (fronts), Klipsch RC-52 (center), Klipsch RS-42 (surrounds), and Klipsch Sub 10 (subwoofer). I watch most movies (BluRay and old HD-DVDs) but also listen to music.

1. Are the HD audit codecs that much better in overall soundfield/sound precision over the regular Dolby 5.1 audio codecs? I know speaker make a big differenc but I feel my speakers are very moderate range speakers - I happen to like the Klipsch so-called brightness.

2. In general it seems independent reviews rate Denon's WPC higher relative to Yamaha's (Home Theater Magazine for example). Is this generally accurate?

3. For those how have had a Yamaha and Denon, what has been your perception of each?

4. The 2310 has a list price of $850.00 but I have found it for $600 (6ave.com). Is there a sense that prices on AVRs drop as the year ends? Just wonder if I should hold out for a better price.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Drell
post #386 of 7245 Old 07-27-2009, 06:52 PM

Here's an odd glitch I've encountered with my new 2310.

One in a while, with the TV off, if you turn on (say) an audio source like the Tuner or the VCR/iPod, the 2310 will act like it is muted ... until you turn the TV on ... which seems to clear the hang condition (sound arrives and you can then turn the TV off).

It's as if sometimes (but not always) the 2310 is trying to handshake with the TV upon power on and won't emit any sound until the handshake is complete.

Very odd.
post #387 of 7245 Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Anyone else having pops and/or blanking issues with your 2310 (or 3310/4310) ???

I am having similar issues. When changing channels on my TiVoHD (over HDMI) I hear loud popping / crackling for about 2-4 second before the audio comes in (video comes up almost immediately). I have tried many combinations of the AVR settings to eliminate the issue but not a one has improved the problem.

Couple things to note:
  • Using TiVo HD
  • Connected to Sony XBR4 52"
  • All over HDMI
  • Passing audio to TV ("Audio Out" set to TV)
  • Occurs changing from SD > SD, HD > HD and SD > HD
  • Not related to any one resolution change (that I can tell)

Anyone had any luck resolving this issue or any suggestions to try next?
post #388 of 7245 Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:

first, just to be clear, do you have an external cable box or are you using the internal tuner of your TV? Either way, please try and describe as precisely as possible exactly what cables are going to/from each device.

everything should work provided you have assigned your inputs correctly. this is the key step -- so if you want to use the "TV" input make sure that "Coax-2" has been assigned to this "name".

Thank you batpig - wow what a quick response !
As for the connections:

cable exits wall and is attached with an adaptor for coax2 (label says sat/cable) on back of AVR -left lower side.

AVR is connected to a Sony LCD projector via HDMI.

After reading your reply, I think I may need a tuner. Correct ? If yes, any suggestions ? I hate giving Comcast any more money for rental etc.

Thanks again.

Gulf Blue
post #389 of 7245 Old 07-28-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Blue View Post

Thank you batpig - wow what a quick response !
As for the connections:

cable exits wall and is attached with an adaptor for coax2 (label says sat/cable) on back of AVR -left lower side.

AVR is connected to a Sony LCD projector via HDMI.

After reading your reply, I think I may need a tuner. Correct ? If yes, any suggestions ? I hate giving Comcast any more money for rental etc.

Thanks again.

Gulf Blue

This might be a first for me. WOW!

OK, when you say "cable" you are referring to the coax cable that is in the wall to normally connect to the TV correct? If so, that is not where it should be connected! The connection on your AVR labeled coax2 is for a digital audio output from another source (like a cable box). So here is what you can do without paying Comcast any more money.

Take the cable that comes out of the wall and run it directly to your TVs cable in. Then run either a pair of stereo RCA cables from the audio out on the TV to the AVR (red and white connections) OR if your TV has a digital optical out you can connect that to the AVR instead.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #390 of 7245 Old 07-28-2009, 08:38 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi guys,

I'm really leaning toward picking this unit up today but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the amp section. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V2400 sitting in my closet that was replaced last year by an Onkyo 876. Would the 2310 be comparable in terms of power to the Yamaha RX-V2400 or am I going to notice a real drop in audio performance. The Yamaha weighs about 9lbs more (about the same weight as the Denon 4310) but doesn't have the bells and whistles I'm looking for. I will be driving Energy reference connoisseur speakers (8 ohms nominal 4 ohms minimum - sensitivity between 90 and 92db) in a 12x12 room with 7.5ft ceilings.

I would just move up to the 3310 to play it safe but it too only weighs about 3.5 more pounds than the 2310 and lists at almost twice the price and doesn't really offer any additional features that I need (don't care about internet radio or streaming).

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page