Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 7242 Old 08-09-2009, 04:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Although the names DNR and Enhancer are used in Denon DVD players with the Realta chip, the 2310 is still most likely implementing the ABT 2010 Picture Control features, just using the above names instead. Again, a good question for Denon to confirm whether this is the case or not.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 7242 Old 08-09-2009, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
jdsmoothie, you are welcome to forward the question to an apropriate
denon employee

I have emailed denon USA before, perhaps always not the exact right department, but seldom gotten any answers
post #543 of 7242 Old 08-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Liked: 10
History has taught us that you should never assume a device will fully or correctly implement the features of a video processing chip. Just because the chip can do it doesn't mean the AVR manufacturer has the software skills or inclination to enable it.

In fact it is better to assume the worst that only the most basic of functions of the chip will be enabled and read the manual closely and ask current owners to verify whether specific features are enabled.

The sad fact is that 99% of consumers simply don't care about things like deinterlacing, edge enhancement and noise reduction.
post #544 of 7242 Old 08-09-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patja View Post

History has taught us that you should never assume a device will fully or correctly implement the features of a video processing chip. Just because the chip can do it doesn't mean the AVR manufacturer has the software skills or inclination to enable it.

In fact it is better to assume the worst that only the most basic of functions of the chip will be enabled and read the manual closely and ask current owners to verify whether specific features are enabled.

The sad fact is that 99% of consumers simply don't care about things like deinterlacing, edge enhancement and noise reduction.

Thats all true, but the way the article says it, I think most of us would think it´s there.
How many of us reads the manual, checking for such funtions, when it´s
in the same article that at least 10 reviewers has used.
post #545 of 7242 Old 08-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the great information in this thread! You hear it a lot, but this is such a great resource. I appreciate everyone's input, it helped me a lot.

I just ordered the 2310ci off of Electronics-expo.com for $549 using a coupon I found through a quick search on the web. I decided to go for the 2310ci rather than the 890 because of the miniscule price difference. For instance, Amazon's price delta was about $11. I don't need the serial port or 12v trigger at this point, but who knows?

I've only recently started building my HT so am still assembling the basics one step at a time. I built a 10' screen using Screen Goo, which turned out great after enough labor and love was put into it. Painted the room a couple tones of flat black, put up new trim, etc. I put up a Panny AE3000U projector, and got a Panny dmp-bd60 player for it. I'd been using a very old receiver for this with stereo sound, but wanted to learn all I could before running out and buying any old receiver. I was debating between the Onkyo 807 and the Denon 890, and eventually the Denon won out based on the opinions here and a couple formal reviews elsewhere.

Now I'm off to the speaker threads to find a system to buy.
post #546 of 7242 Old 08-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Looks like I already violated a rule - the prohibition of discussing price other than msrp.. sorry 'bout that..
post #547 of 7242 Old 08-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Hi, When using the 2310 after the auto set up done by Audyssey. Should it be set on multi eq and dynamic eq or just muti eq?
What does just multi eq do when used by itself.
Also when the speaker volume level is changed, does that cancel out the Auddsey settings for the speaker calculations? And, one more question, is it just best to use pure direct or direct?

As always, answers are much appreciated.
post #548 of 7242 Old 08-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Ah! One more question. After the auto set, Auddysey settings using the mic, does the settings for the sub; highest hz and volume set to the 12 o clock mark. Does the sub have to stay at those settings only during the set up?

Thanks.
post #549 of 7242 Old 08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithOz View Post

Ah! One more question. After the auto set, Auddysey settings using the mic, does the settings for the sub; highest hz and volume set to the 12 o clock mark. Does the sub have to stay at those settings only during the set up?

Thanks.

You should NOT touch the sub's knobs at all after the auto-setup is done, ever. If you do, you should run the Audyssey again.

The whole point of Audyssey is to choose the settings for you, and it almost always does a great job (if you follow the directions carefully)

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #550 of 7242 Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

You should NOT touch the sub's knobs at all after the auto-setup is done, ever. If you do, you should run the Audyssey again.

The whole point of Audyssey is to choose the settings for you, and it almost always does a great job (if you follow the directions carefully)

Hi warpdrive,So leave the sub volume and hz setting on the back of the sub to highest hz and volume to 12 o'clock even after the set up. Will that damage the subwoofer, being left at the highest hz? I thought most people leave it 8ohz for good bass. i'm not getting a lot of bass or deep bass.
post #551 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 1424
Keith -- You should read through my FAQ, especially the Audyssey section and the Audio section:

http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audio

There are good links to let you know things like MultEQ vs Dynamic EQ, what they do, what you can change after running Audyssey, as well as discussion on how to use surround modes (e.g. what is "Direct"?)... in other words, I already answered all of your questions

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #552 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batborsen View Post

According to this article and others, speaking of the abt2010chip with its edge and detail enhancments,at least I got the impression that theywould be
activated in the denon 2310,3310 and 4310:http://www.anchorbaytech.com/docs/pd...esign_wins.pdf

I went and bought myself a 2310 and to my surprice, only a thing called
"enhancer" in the video menu.

So, denon, could you activate those functions in the denon recivers? Or I would call it false marketing!

I think your attitude is a little alarmist and calling it "false marketing" is pretty silly.

The press release says only this about the ABT-2010 implementation in the Denons: "its Mosquito Noise Reduction and Detail and Edge Enhancement functions provide users with additional options for image improvement."

I think, as JD pointed out, it's pretty obvious that Denon just kept the same nomenclature in their menu structure but the "DNR" now controls noise reduction and the "Enhancer" is a combined detail/edge enhancement feature. Just because the names in the menus are different doesn't mean that these features claimed above weren't actually implement. I don't know why you would think these are the same as the old functions -- the ABT is currently the video processing chip so why would they use old algorithms from a chip that is no longer in the AVR??

The ABT-2010 is the thing handling all the video processing so it's obviously the chip doing the "DNR" or the "Enhancment" or whatever you want to call it. They don't give you the full control over every feature as precisely as in the DVDO Edge -- but frankly that's pretty silly to expect the same precision of control in an all-in-one AVR unit that you would get in a dedicated, standalone processor.

Obviously it would be nice to get confirmation from Denon, but it seems pretty obvious to me from that the ABT-2010 is implementing these features (PReP, Enhancement, noise reduct., etc) as claimed in the press release you linked.... they just are doing it less "transparently" with some things either being combined (as with detail + edge enhancement) or simply occurring automatically in the background (as with PReP).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #553 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 10:06 AM

Yeah, I discoverd that late last nite.Thanks, it answered a lot of my questions.
post #554 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Keith -- You should read through my FAQ, especially the Audyssey section and the Audio section:

http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audio

There are good links to let you know things like MultEQ vs Dynamic EQ, what they do, what you can change after running Audyssey, as well as discussion on how to use surround modes (e.g. what is "Direct"?)... in other words, I already answered all of your questions

Yeah, I discoverd that late last nite.Thanks batpig, it answered a lot of my questions.
post #555 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the rapid reponse batpig.
The subwoofer level is on 0.5db, the speaker crossover frequencies are; front (2 polk RT600i) 60hz, center(1 polk CS245i) 80hz, surround( 2 polk R10) 60hz.
The max on the back of thesub is set to 160hz. Do these settings seem okay, batpig?
post #556 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

those settings all look fine. is Dynamic EQ on? that is necessary to have good bass response at lower volume levels once the receiver has been calibrated with MultEQ.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #557 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:

those settings all look fine. is Dynamic EQ on? that is necessary to have good bass response at lower volume levels once the receiver has been calibrated with MultEQ.

should the Dynamic EQ be on only when listening at nite time or something? I can play it loud, well around 19 db or so, when watching a hd sound movie. If it's any higher it's "the wife will yell at me level".
post #558 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 10:25 AM

I have a problem that I believe is stemming from the from my 2310ci. When I initially setup my speakers, I ran Audyssey and the test detected my front and rear speakers including the subwoofer. Everything worked smoothly. Then, a couple days ago, I noticed that there was no sound coming from my subwoofer anymore. So I ran Audyssey again, and of course, there was no sound coming from the sub when I did the test. My friend brought his working subwoofer over and it still did not work. By then, I thought it could have been the connection. So I went out and bought a new sub cable thinking it would solve the problem. Unfortunately, that did not help either. The power is on. I tried both subwoofer outlets on the back of the receiver. I looked through all the settings on the receiver and everything seems to look normal. I'm extremely confused now, and I don't know what the possible problem could be, besides it just being a defective unit. I'm really hoping I'm just missing something and there is nothing wrong with the receiver.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them. Thanks.
post #559 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 10:25 AM

Going to do the auto set up again. Just to be on the safe side.
post #560 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I think your attitude is a little alarmist and calling it "false marketing" is pretty silly.

The press release says only this about the ABT-2010 implementation in the Denons: "its Mosquito Noise Reduction and Detail and Edge Enhancement functions provide users with additional options for image improvement."

I think, as JD pointed out, it's pretty obvious that Denon just kept the same nomenclature in their menu structure but the "DNR" now controls noise reduction and the "Enhancer" is a combined detail/edge enhancement feature. Just because the names in the menus are different doesn't mean that these features claimed above weren't actually implement. I don't know why you would think these are the same as the old functions -- the ABT is currently the video processing chip so why would they use old algorithms from a chip that is no longer in the AVR??

The ABT-2010 is the thing handling all the video processing so it's obviously the chip doing the "DNR" or the "Enhancment" or whatever you want to call it. They don't give you the full control over every feature as precisely as in the DVDO Edge -- but frankly that's pretty silly to expect the same precision of control in an all-in-one AVR unit that you would get in a dedicated, standalone processor.

Obviously it would be nice to get confirmation from Denon, but it seems pretty obvious to me from that the ABT-2010 is implementing these features (PReP, Enhancement, noise reduct., etc) as claimed in the press release you linked.... they just are doing it less "transparently" with some things either being combined (as with detail + edge enhancement) or simply occurring automatically in the background (as with PReP).

I talked to Denon Jeff and he said there is NO PreP, NO edge enhancement and NO detail enhancement. He didn´t mention any combined thing of these functions!
I have owned a vp50pro and dvdo edge and I can say: It doesn´t look the same when I apply dnr and enhancer in the 2310. It does look just like when I apply dnr and enhancer in my denon video processor. Detail enhancment can bring out the pores in a face sometimes, haven´t been able to get the "enhancer" to do that. I can on the other hand appologize for blaming denon, it is of course the writer of the article that has been wrong.

And something else wich is strange if I am wrong: Why did I see filmgrain with the vp50pro and dvdo edge, but not anymore with the denon 2310 when I apply dnr?!
post #561 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Bummer

User "EVT" also just posted in the 3310CI thread that Denon confirmed to him that there is no PReP.... looks like that press release is wrong! (pending further evidence of course.... it wouldn't be the first time that a company rep was incorrect about a specific feature). It seems totally counterintuitive to me that this "Enhancer" feature would be present but wouldn't employ the processing already available in the VP chip in the AVR!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #562 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.Lin View Post

I have a problem that I believe is stemming from the from my 2310ci. When I initially setup my speakers, I ran Audyssey and the test detected my front and rear speakers including the subwoofer. Everything worked smoothly. Then, a couple days ago, I noticed that there was no sound coming from my subwoofer anymore. .....

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them. Thanks.

First, try a microprocessor reset (pg 70 of manual).

Then, go to MANUAL SETUP > SPEAKER SETUP and confirm that Subwoofer is set to "Yes" in the Speaker Config.

Then, go to the Channel Level menu (still in SPEAKER SETUP) and run the manual test tones. If the subwoofer doesn't rumble, then it looks like a bum unit I'm afraid to say

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #563 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithOz View Post

should the Dynaic EQ be on only when listening at nite time or something? I can play it loud, well around 19 db or so, when watching a hd sound movie. If it's any higher it's "the wife will yell at me level".

Dynamic EQ should pretty much be on ALL the time unless you run into some really badly mixed content that sounds terrible with Dynamic EQ engaged. Certainly, for all movies and 90%+ of TV content you should have it on.

The point of Dynamic EQ is that it keeps the tonal balance of the surround sound consistent regardless of what volume level you are at. Without Dynamic EQ you will lose bass and surround content when the volume goes down.

Dynamic Volume is the technology that is meant for restricting dynamic range (e.g. for late-night viewing). It controls the fluctuations in dynamics/loudness -- for example, when you are watching a movie late at night and you turn up the volume to hear the dialogue and then the explosions start and the wife is screaming "turn that down!" while you are jumping for the remote.

Dynamic Volume has three "strength" settings, labeled Day/Evening/Midnight. Most people find that the "Evening" setting does the trick for keeping things sounding nice and rich but not having the wife yell at you.

I can watch an entire movie on the "Evening" setting without touching the volume control once or the wife making the "it's too loud!" comment, which is a miracle of technology.

So in summary:

Red light = Dynamic EQ on, keep this on almost all the time.
Green light = Dynamic Volume on, turn this on when you want to control the dynamic swings so you aren't jumping for the volume button.

(Note that Dynamic Volume "layers" on top of Dynamic EQ so when the green light is on, Dynamic EQ is still active)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #564 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 PM

I just received a 2310 CI, hooked it up ( All HDMI connections) with
the following equipment:
Panasonic TH46PZ85U 1080 p TV
Direct TV Digital Tuner/DVR
Sony Blu Ray BDPS 550
Samsumg Blu Ray BD-P2500
Denon DVD 2910 ( Up converting DVD).

The Sony Blu Ray & The Direct TV DT/DVR work flawlessy. But I am
having some "Odd" issues with:

a) Samsung Blu Ray: The receiver will display the image & detect
sound only when the player is turned on having previously selected it
as the source.
To be more specific:On the receiver I select the Samsung Source Input,
then turn on the player, & the image & multichannel sound is just fine
for all the audio formats. But suppose I switch the source to Direct
TV (Which is displayed OK and the audio decoded OK) , and switch back
the source to the Samsung, now no image is displayed & no audio is
decoded. Then I turn off the Samsung & switch it back on, and the image & sound are back as well.
I also connected the Samsung directly to the TV and works OK.

b) I cannot get any image & sound from the Denon DVD 2910, no matter
what setting I use for the HDMI out ( 480,720, 1080). I also connected
directly the 2910 to the TV, and works OK.

Anyone experienced similar problems or can help with these issues ??
post #565 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Dynamic EQ should pretty much be on ALL the time unless you run into some really badly mixed content that sounds terrible with Dynamic EQ engaged. Certainly, for all movies and 90%+ of TV content you should have it on.

The point of Dynamic EQ is that it keeps the tonal balance of the surround sound consistent regardless of what volume level you are at. Without Dynamic EQ you will lose bass and surround content when the volume goes down.

Dynamic Volume is the technology that is meant for restricting dynamic range (e.g. for late-night viewing). It controls the fluctuations in dynamics/loudness -- for example, when you are watching a movie late at night and you turn up the volume to hear the dialogue and then the explosions start and the wife is screaming "turn that down!" while you are jumping for the remote.

Dynamic Volume has three "strength" settings, labeled Day/Evening/Midnight. Most people find that the "Evening" setting does the trick for keeping things sounding nice and rich but not having the wife yell at you.

I can watch an entire movie on the "Evening" setting without touching the volume control once or the wife making the "it's too loud!" comment, which is a miracle of technology.

So in summary:

Red light = Dynamic EQ on, keep this on almost all the time.
Green light = Dynamic Volume on, turn this on when you want to control the dynamic swings so you aren't jumping for the volume button.

(Note that Dynamic Volume "layers" on top of Dynamic EQ so when the green light is on, Dynamic EQ is still active)

When I hit "Dynamic Volume", I just get on or off. Not the three levels?
post #566 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You need to go into the GUI to set the "strength" of Dynamic Volume, in the Audio Adjust menu under "Audyssey Settings" (see pg 51 of the manual).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #567 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 03:02 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by batborsen View Post

I talked to Denon Jeff and he said there is NO PreP, NO edge enhancement and NO detail enhancement. He didn´t mention any combined thing of these functions!

As the Director of Product Development DenonJeff would certainly know whether it was a feature or not. Sean O'Neil (the guy you hear on Denon's customer service number) also confirmed that these features are NOT implemented on the 2310.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #568 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongomarvel View Post

I just received a 2310 CI, hooked it up ( All HDMI connections) with
the following equipment:
Panasonic TH46PZ85U 1080 p TV
Direct TV Digital Tuner/DVR
Sony Blu Ray BDPS 550
Samsumg Blu Ray BD-P2500
Denon DVD 2910 ( Up converting DVD).

Welcome Bongo -- my first question is, why do you have TWO Blu-Ray players and also an upconverting DVD player? I guess maybe you use the 2910 as a "universal" player for SACD or something, but two BDP's?

I would have to imagine one of the two BDP's does a better job with SD DVD playback than the old 2910. And, even if they don't, the AVR 2310CI itself should be the best SD DVD upscaler you have.

Anyway..... to your issues....

On the Denon, there aren't really any settings that would affect HDMI switching, assuming you have assigned your inputs correctly. It sounds like you are having some weird "handshake" failures with some of your devices. I would try things like swapping HDMI cables, swapping HDMI inputs (e.g. try the 2910 in HDMI-2 instead of HDMI-4 or whatever), and also check the Sammy BDP's settings and see if there are any "HDMI-CEC" or other such features that you can turn off.

Also, try turning off "HDMI Control" on the Denon just in case.

Another thing to try on the input assignment front -- for certain inputs the Denon may default to multiple connections assigned to that "name". For example, by default the "DVD" name is assigned to both "HDMI-1" and "COMP-1" video inputs. Try going into the input assignment screen and setting your HDMI inputs to "NONE" for everything else but HDMI.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #569 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.Lin View Post

I tried both subwoofer outlets on the back of the receiver.

Although you can get away with using the switched outlets for a subwoofer, they aren't designed to handle the amperage draw of a subwoofer, rather they are for your other "components" like a DVD or CD player.

post #570 of 7242 Old 08-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Did someone noticed some artefacts when feeding the receiver with 1080 24 hz content?
I noticed the artefacts as demonstrated on that link:
http://skydrive.live.com/play.aspx?p...61150332855427

to test this, make sure your player is set to output in 24 p when playing a blu ray film for example and that the video convert option on the receiver is on.

I posted the question on the 4310 thread already but I would like to check whether the pb is also witnessed by 2310 owners as well as the video ship is the same I believe.

FYI, a signal direct pass through solve the pb but you loose hdmi overlay.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page