*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 2310CI / 890 Owner's Thread - Page 202 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6031 of 7279 Old 03-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm not sure what the sub trim is set to but the LPF was at high and that didn't made much difference in terms of bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 7279 Old 03-07-2011, 04:37 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
It wouldn't ... but that's where the LPF setting should be. To check the sub trim, you can use the button on the remote, or you can go into the menu and look under AUTO SETUP or MANUAL SETUP.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #6033 of 7279 Old 03-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

It's -6.0db, it looks low but more than sufficient for movies. Does it make a difference if I turn it up for music? But then I'd have to mess with it all the time between watching movies and listening to music.
post #6034 of 7279 Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 AM
585-645-1006

You can change sub/speaker volume to suit your preference without impacting the Audyssey filtering. You might also try setting the RESTORER (p. 52) setting to "Restorer HQ" for music listening.

If you don't want to manually change the sub volume each time and you're not currently using the Quick Select buttons, you could use one QS for movies with sub set to -6db and another for music with the sub set higher.

Also, if you haven't already make sure the sub setting is returned to LFE+MAIN if you're going to leave the main speakers set to LARGE in STEREO mode.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #6035 of 7279 Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, I was using Restorer HQ all this time, it was the only option that made it sound better, I wouldn't say 'rich bass' but I can definitely hear the drums hit harder. I've also tried your suggestions but as soon as I revert to another input selection (from CDR to DVD or SAT/Cabl) the sub settings remained the same. If I set it to +3.0db, it'll run across the whole board whether I am watching movies in DVD mode or listening to a CD in CDR mode. I don't use the Quick Select buttons anymore because it defaults back to factory settings and it is a hassle to tweak it every time.
post #6036 of 7279 Old 03-08-2011, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If you don't want to manually change the sub volume each time and you're not currently using the Quick Select buttons, you could use one QS for movies with sub set to -6db and another for music with the sub set higher.

I've been meaning to post as well on this subject. I use QS1 for TV/Movies with the sub level at about -6db with Audyssey filtering enabled and things sound great. For QS2 I feed a Squeezebox touch via digital in using the manual EQ (sounds horrible if I don't). However, the QS presets do not "save" everything - So, when I want to listen to music via my squeezebox touch, I always have to:

1) Change the input mode to digital
2) Hit QS2 to engage my manual EQ settings
3) Increase the sub level to usually +5db to get decent bass from the logitech device.

The Quick Settings do not save the sub level or the input mode - I always have to tweak the bass up from TV to music then back down for TV, if I don't, the bass is WAY too much for TV viewing.. All of my speakers are set to "small" as I have a nice HSU STF-2 sub, I'm assuming this is the best way to go.. ? When I run Audyssey setup with the sub volume control set to 11am, Audyssey almost always sets the Denon sub level to between -9 and -12db - but it needs to be at about -5 for movies and TV to sound "right" to my ears. Again, then to about +5 for the Squeezebox to sound good. I love my gear minus these quirks. Hopefully there is a better way that I'm overlooking. I do have a harmony one remote but I don't see how it could assist with these quirks - i.e. it can't change the input mode automagicly and bump up the sub volume then back for TV.. or... ?

Am I missing something here? Why doesn't my QS save the sub level? Am I doing my Audyssey setup incorrectly? All I need to do is set the sub level then long-press the QS, correct? Can anyone suggest a better method to switch between good sound for both TV and the Squeezebox? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
post #6037 of 7279 Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post

I don't use the Quick Select buttons anymore because it defaults back to factory settings and it is a hassle to tweak it every time.

Each Quick Select has a set of factory default settings. If you change these settings, then you need to re-memorize them by pressing and holding the QS button on the front panel for 3-4 seconds.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6038 of 7279 Old 03-09-2011, 03:53 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtim View Post

The Quick Settings do not save the sub level or the input mode - I always have to tweak the bass up from TV to music then back down for TV, if I don't, the bass is WAY too much for TV viewing.. All of my speakers are set to "small" as I have a nice HSU STF-2 sub, I'm assuming this is the best way to go.. ? When I run Audyssey setup with the sub volume control set to 11am, Audyssey almost always sets the Denon sub level to between -9 and -12db - but it needs to be at about -5 for movies and TV to sound "right" to my ears. Again, then to about +5 for the Squeezebox to sound good. I love my gear minus these quirks. Hopefully there is a better way that I'm overlooking. I do have a harmony one remote but I don't see how it could assist with these quirks - i.e. it can't change the input mode automagicly and bump up the sub volume then back for TV.. or... ?

Am I missing something here? Why doesn't my QS save the sub level? Am I doing my Audyssey setup incorrectly? All I need to do is set the sub level then long-press the QS, correct? Can anyone suggest a better method to switch between good sound for both TV and the Squeezebox? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

First you should lower the volume of your sub using the sub gain/volume knob to about 9 o'clock vice 11 o'clock as your sub is putting out too much bass in it's current location which is why you're getting the -9 to -12db sub trim settings. Then rerun AUTO SETUP. Ideally you want the final result closer to 0, although at least not set to -12db. Not sure why your volume settings aren't being saved to include the INPUT MODE. Make the changes again and make sure you press and hold the QS until MEMORIZE is seen on the front panel display.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6039 of 7279 Old 03-09-2011, 08:39 AM

I want to hook up a pair of wireless headphones to the Denon 2310 without using the headphone jack on the front. The headphone instructions say to hook it up to either the 'line out jack" or the "record out jack. Either the AVR doesn't have these outputs or I just can't find them. I tried doing a search on the forum, but I still am not sure what to do. If the AVR doesn't have these outputs can I use zone 2 for this. I don't use zone 2 for anything else so it is available.
post #6040 of 7279 Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The line out/record out (RECOUT) jacks are labeled as "VCR Out" and "DVR Out", although you can also use the Zone 2 pre-out jacks as whatever is selected for Zone 2 is also output to both the VCR/DVR outs as well.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6041 of 7279 Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

^^
The line out/record out (RECOUT) jacks are labeled as "VCR Out" and "DVR Out", although you can also use the Zone 2 pre-out jacks as whatever is selected for Zone 2 is also output to both the VCR/DVR outs as well.

Thanks. I did try the DVR out without success. Any idea why they wouldn't have worked. I will try again tonight to make sure I had it right.
post #6042 of 7279 Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM
585-645-1006

You'll only get output from them if you have an analog or optical/digital coax PCM 2.0 source selected ... no HDMI or DD/DTS 5.1 sources.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6043 of 7279 Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:

You'll only get output from them if you have an analog or optical/digital coax PCM 2.0 source selected ... no HDMI or DD/DTS 5.1 sources.

I read those articles, but couldn't really figure anything out. I do have my cable box hooked up via HDMI to the AVR and then HDMI out to the TV from the AVR, and that is what I am trying to listen to with the headphones. Is that why it is not working?
post #6044 of 7279 Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM
585-645-1006

Correct. In addition to the HDMI cable, you'll also need to connect an analog cable from the cable box into the 2310 analog IN jacks labeled with the same name you use for the cable box (eg. CBL/SAT).

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6045 of 7279 Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Each Quick Select has a set of factory default settings. If you change these settings, then you need to re-memorize them by pressing and holding the QS button on the front panel for 3-4 seconds.

That was simple, thanks jd. I re-saved only SAT/CBL with a lower volume setting so it wouldn't blast off every time I turn it on.
I was playing around with all my audio inputs -- CDR1 IN/OUT in place of DVR but also share w/ DVD Recorder via HDMI, CDR2 IN/OUT of VCR. For music, here's a couple of tweaks I found similar to that 2-channel stereo sound:

All these settings can be accessed from the back of the main remote, except for speaker settings.

1.) "In Your Face" Punchy Bass and Drums w/ sharper Trebles.
D/ST: STEREO*
MultiEQ: Audyssey
DYN EQ: ON (a must!)
DYN Vol: OFF
Restorer: HQ (Mode3)
(all speaker settings are 'Small')

2.) Overall Balanced; Softer Drums w/ a very Soft Bass from Sub.
D/ST: STEREO*
MultiEQ: Bypass L/R
DYN EQ: ON (a must!)
DYN VOL: OFF
Restorer: HQ (Mode3)
(all speakers settings are 'Small')

*With the settings above, you can also enjoy with the 6 Theater Sound modes (Pure, STD, D/ST, Cinema, Music, Simu) without any interference to its settings. I like it in STEREO mode and it sounded very much like my harman/kardon 2-Channel Pro Logic Receiver.

For some reason, FM Tuner sounded very good by default. The settings made it sound even better.
post #6046 of 7279 Old 03-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Hello,

I have a Denon AVR2310CI which I love and has worked flawlessly.

Last week my DVR from TWC had to be replaced as the hard drive croaked. I was traveling at the time the TWC technician came to the house so my wife had to deal with it.

Long story short I have a lot of components crammed pretty tight into my 2 bay A/V cabinet and the wiring is tight - especially if you don't move the cabinet away from the wall a good three feet or so to get to the back.

When I got home there was one of my HDMI cables laying on the top of the cabinet with one end of the cable damaged - the metal shell had been pulled out and the loose contacts were hanging free. When I asked my wife about it she said the TWC guy was complaining about how tight everything was wired and had trouble replacing the unit but did not mention anything about the damaged HDMI cable.

Since this abortion occurred I have a problem - kinda strange actually.

My HDTV and Blu-Ray DVD are working fine. My FM Stereo (from the AVR2310CI) and my CD player are not working at all. I should note that the speaker outputs form the AVR are wired into wall jacks which drive in-wall speakers.

Without tearing everythnig apart I have been puzzled why my FM Stereo is not working - no audio at all. I am thinking the mangled HDMI cable is from my CD payer but that doesn't make sense either as the CD player is 5 years old and does not have HDMI jacks.

To be honest I forgot how I wired everything up but can't understand why the FM Stereo won't play yet I am getting audio from the HDTV and the BR player.

Any recommendations on what I might be missing before I tear everything apart?

Thanks in advance!
Dave
post #6047 of 7279 Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSFleak View Post

Hello,

I have a Denon AVR2310CI which I love and has worked flawlessly.

Last week my DVR from TWC had to be replaced as the hard drive croaked. I was traveling at the time the TWC technician came to the house so my wife had to deal with it.

Long story short I have a lot of components crammed pretty tight into my 2 bay A/V cabinet and the wiring is tight - especially if you don't move the cabinet away from the wall a good three feet or so to get to the back.

When I got home there was one of my HDMI cables laying on the top of the cabinet with one end of the cable damaged - the metal shell had been pulled out and the loose contacts were hanging free. When I asked my wife about it she said the TWC guy was complaining about how tight everything was wired and had trouble replacing the unit but did not mention anything about the damaged HDMI cable.

Since this abortion occurred I have a problem - kinda strange actually.

My HDTV and Blu-Ray DVD are working fine. My FM Stereo (from the AVR2310CI) and my CD player are not working at all. I should note that the speaker outputs form the AVR are wired into wall jacks which drive in-wall speakers.

Without tearing everythnig apart I have been puzzled why my FM Stereo is not working - no audio at all. I am thinking the mangled HDMI cable is from my CD payer but that doesn't make sense either as the CD player is 5 years old and does not have HDMI jacks.

To be honest I forgot how I wired everything up but can't understand why the FM Stereo won't play yet I am getting audio from the HDTV and the BR player.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

How is your FM antenna?

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #6048 of 7279 Old 03-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Hi, I just hooked up my friends 890 to his Toshiba TV. I went component out of the AVR to the component in. I am sending component out of the DVD player to component in on the AVR. I am sending yellow composite out of the VCR to the AVR.

I noticed the image is not that bright at all compared to using the old yellow composite cable connected directly to the tv. This applies to both the vcr and the DVD player. I did however also notice this when using just a short component cable directly to the tv from the DVD player as a test of component capability a few weeks back but not as bad as on the Denon. My friend says his skin color is too purple as well.

Any thoughts on improving brightness and color via these component and composite connections and why component for sure seems darker and washed out?

Also, when I played Twister from his VCR to the analog audio in on the vcr port of the AVR or even trying the front AUX port, the unit did not process the Dolby surround sound. I tried normal, I tried Dolby movie, DTS movie, Standard. Nothing. It wasn't processing surround sound. What am I missing?

Thank you.
post #6049 of 7279 Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSFleak View Post

As EJ notes, check that your FM antenna didn't become loose or disconnected. It's likely whatever the damaged HDMI cable was connected to, the TWC guy replaced it with another cable so just toss it. Reseat the cable connecting the CD player to the AVR. That will likely resolve your issues, although if not, consider resetting the microprocessor (p. 70).

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6050 of 7279 Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairfan View Post

Also, when I played Twister from his VCR to the analog audio in on the vcr port of the AVR or even trying the front AUX port, the unit did not process the Dolby surround sound. I tried normal, I tried Dolby movie, DTS movie, Standard. Nothing. It wasn't processing surround sound. What am I missing?

What did the front panel display read when the analog audio was being received? You should have been able to press the Standard button and simulated 5.1 from the 2.0 audio. You may want to reset the microprocessor (p. 68).

For the video issue, try turning the i/p Scaler setting to OFF.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6051 of 7279 Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM

I just set up my 2310 and my subwoofer is not working when using the cd input. It does when I use the ps3. These are the only two inputs used right now. I am using two subwoofers going into a y splitter into the 2310 Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Slinger
post #6052 of 7279 Old 03-15-2011, 04:48 PM
585-645-1006

The STEREO mode (p. 32) has separate settings then the STANDARD 5.1 setup ... either set front mains to SMALL with same crossover as is used with 5.1 setup or set the sub to LFE+MAIN if you want bass from both the front mains and the sub when using the STEREO mode.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6053 of 7279 Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM

Thanks. Will try that to see if it helps. Are the settings per input or global.

Thanks again.
post #6054 of 7279 Old 03-16-2011, 04:37 AM
585-645-1006

Used whenever the STEREO mode is selected.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6055 of 7279 Old 03-16-2011, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the tips to try on the 890. I will try them Thursday night.

Just so I am clear on the last topic, the Denon lets you configure large/small/crossover/sub differently for 2 channel then for 5.1? Does that apply to my 1610? If so then I can play around on both receivers for best music sound. The recs here on 5.1 seem spot on so far though.
post #6056 of 7279 Old 03-18-2011, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When watching sports (mainly cbs/espn college basketball) the video skips/stutters if I have the Denon set to scale the video from 1080i (output from my fios box) to 1080p.

But if I leave the scaling off and let my tv convert to 1080p the stutter seems to go away. Is there any setting in the Denon that might cause this? Is there a film mode somewhere in the menu that I can turn off?

I would like to find a fix since I think the Denon produces a better picture when set to scale to 1080p instead of my TV doing it internally but the stuttering drives me crazy.My Fios box is set at 1080i and my TV is a Mitts 1080p dlp.

Thanks,
post #6057 of 7279 Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1909
under Input Setup > Video there is a setting for "progressive mode" which defaults at AUTO. You can try switching it to Video1 which the manual indicates would force the correct mode for non-film-based video (pg 38).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #6058 of 7279 Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

under Input Setup > Video there is a setting for "progressive mode" which defaults at AUTO. You can try switching it to Video1 which the manual indicates would force the correct mode for non-film-based video (pg 38).

Thanks, I will try video1 and video2 when I get home tonight.
post #6059 of 7279 Old 03-18-2011, 04:59 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairfan View Post

Just so I am clear on the last topic, the Denon lets you configure large/small/crossover/sub differently for 2 channel then for 5.1? Does that apply to my 1610? If so then I can play around on both receivers for best music sound. The recs here on 5.1 seem spot on so far though.

Yes for the 890. No for the 1610.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6060 of 7279 Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Hi Everyone,

I originally posted this question in the main forums and was advised to post in this forum.

I would like to connect my computer's video card, which has 2 ports (one in use for the monitor) and the other is an HDMI that I would like to connect to the receiver.

My question is has anyone on this forum connected their pc to the receiver, to watch videos, listen to music etc... with the HDMI from their computer to the Aux port in the back?

Any issues or fixes that I should be aware of - before I purchase a 25 ft HDMI cable and fish it through.

Thanks all - I appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page