*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 2310CI / 890 Owner's Thread - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6211 of 7296 Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
As the notes on p. 16 under both the DVR and VCR indicate ... "Digital signals are not output from the analog REC OUT connector" ... what you are experiencing is not a designed feature.
As most of us can agree that the instructions or directions from Denon's manual confuses more than it actually helped. I swear to Go if I hadn't found you guys on AVS Forum I'd probably returned my 2310 a long time ago. The manual does not make sense one bit and the things they layout which supposedly "can do", they can't and the things that weren't supposed to work has worked for me. One big example had me came running like a chicken without a head was HDMI pass-through. The manual says in order for me to have that feature, HDMI must be turned on, but they don't show you how to do that...until I found it here on this forum. As of today, I am still learning how to use this darn receiver right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 7296 Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes i also tried Auto on the decode mode and didnt work, i need to connected to the line in of the soundcard , but i tried over another amp and different s powered speakers to check if theres any signal . Still no signal over analog...
post #6213 of 7296 Old 07-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Can you tell me the exact brand/model of your source player?

Opps, sorry, I forgot it was your PC...nevermind. Could be the settings from your soundcard.
post #6214 of 7296 Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 PM

yes the pc i try several modes 16 bit 44 sample , 24 bit 48 sample 24 bit 96 sample etc , maybe the firmware update will fix it , although i never had any problem with the issues mentioned by firmware update .
post #6215 of 7296 Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 AM

Does anyone know how the fader control works? For example, if I adjust the balance between the front and rears to listen to simulated 5.1 from a 2 channel source will the receiver keep this setting for other surround modes? Or will I have to re-adjust the control when listening to a true 5.1 or 7.1 source?
post #6216 of 7296 Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Make sure you purchase a high quality HDMI cable (eg. Monoprice, Blue Jeans Cable) as connectivity beyond 15' can be iffy otherwise.

I have 50' of flat hdmi from monoprice and no problems.
post #6217 of 7296 Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^
As the notes on p. 16 under both the DVR and VCR indicate ... "Digital signals are not output from the analog REC OUT connector" ... what you are experiencing is not a designed feature.

JD, you were right! I tested an 'analog' recording with a regular consumer CD recorder from a digital source (with a Pro deck) and it didn't work. Funny thing though; when I tried the same process on the Pro CD Recorder it worked. Could it be that the pro recorder has some kind of bypass and sophisticated AD/DA converter? Also, it has selectable SCMS and on that unit, any copyrighted source is 'defeatable' and I can also use a computer disc as well as consumer 'audio' blanks. Not that I would want to record anything in analog quality but it's good to know that with the right tweaks and settings, a pro deck is capable of doing so.

marc_ax, Sorry for all this merry-go-round for nothing. If you want analog, why not just hook a pair of good quality RCA cables from the source to your PC, no need for all the AD/DA conversions. Just a thought.

Again, pardon the confusion.
post #6218 of 7296 Old 07-14-2011, 05:03 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked: 2406
Not sure ... just consider yourself fortunate that it does work. Thanks for reporting back though. I'm always one for finding hidden tricks .. yours is definitely source related.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #6219 of 7296 Old 07-18-2011, 05:35 PM

I'm thrilled to report that updating the firmware on mv AVR-2310CI fixes HDMI audio disconnections from my NVIDIA ION HTPC. Mine is homebrew but folks with an Acer Revo and others are in the same boat.

Big thanks to jdssmoothie for making this information available.
post #6220 of 7296 Old 07-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Ok thanks , that solves the misunderstood , yes the pro deck has the ad/da converter that allows the conversion , maybe in denon 3xxx or 4xxx series does that too. thanks anyway
post #6221 of 7296 Old 07-23-2011, 06:49 AM

Has anyone seen this problem? I'm sitting here in my living room and heard this occasional buzzing sound. I could tell it's something physical and not from the speakers or the subwoofer, everything is turned off except my HTPC which stays on 24/7. At first I suspected it might be one of the chassis fan. Put my hand on the HTPC for 30 seconds sure enough I heard the sound and felt a vibration, but it wasn't from the computer. Now I'm really scratching my head here..

So I put on hand on the 2310CI. I felt warm which is unusual because it's off. About 30 seconds later I heard the buzz and felt the vibration again. It was definitely coming from the receiver. It only lasts for about a second, but I kept my hand on it and it did it again. I then turned off the master on/off switch. Turn it back on and it hasn't done it again so far, but it's still a bit warm.

Does it sound like my receiver is about to fail? The vibration felt like it's from the front left area which is where the power transformer is. Feeling a bit uneasy now even just leaving the thing plugged in..
post #6222 of 7296 Old 07-23-2011, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have a 2310 that I have had since April 2010. (No firmware updates)
Intermittently (interval 1 or 2 months) nothing is output, video or sound.
The connection to the display is by HDMI, but even an analog CD player connection does not output sound. Turning off the hard power button for 15-30 minutes restores normal operation (1-2 minutes is not sufficient).
Suggestions?

LCR: Hsu HB-1 MK2, HC-1 MK2 ........ Subwoofers: Rhythmik D15SE, Hsu VTF-2 MK4
Receiver: Denon X1100W, 1712CI, 2310CI .................. Networking: ATV3, WDTV Live
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-80 .................... TV: Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TC-50PU54
post #6223 of 7296 Old 07-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

I have the same problem, except mine only happens on SAT/CBL source. While watching TV with the receiver turned on, sometimes I only get video but no sound. The only sound I get is from the TV. I found a fix without having to unplug the whole thing like I used to. The culprit might be your DVR or DVD Recorder. Change to your DVR/DVDR source and turned the device on and then off, then select your choice of source from the receiver. Worked for me.
post #6224 of 7296 Old 07-23-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post

I have the same problem, except mine only happens on SAT/CBL source. While watching TV with the receiver turned on, sometimes I only get video but no sound. The only sound I get is from the TV. I found a fix without having to unplug the whole thing like I used to. The culprit might be your DVR or DVD Recorder. Change to your DVR/DVDR source and turned the device on and then off, then select your choice of source from the receiver. Worked for me.

In my case it only happens when powering up, it doesn't happen in the middle of a session. Once it happens, no video source will display. Several components are connected by HDMI, the connection to the display is HDMI, and the connection from the satellite box is component.

Receiver: Denon X1100W, 1712CI, 2310CI .................. Networking: ATV3, WDTV Live
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-80 .................... TV: Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TC-50PU54
post #6225 of 7296 Old 07-23-2011, 05:43 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmr View Post

Turning off the hard power button for 15-30 minutes restores normal operation (1-2 minutes is not sufficient).
Suggestions?

This is a soft reset ... try doing a hard reset (p. 70).

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #6226 of 7296 Old 07-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmr View Post

In my case it only happens when powering up, it doesn't happen in the middle of a session. Once it happens, no video source will display. Several components are connected by HDMI, the connection to the display is HDMI, and the connection from the satellite box is component.

Yes, my unit usually occurs during at startup too and once it happens, it'll remained that way until I either 'fix it' by switching to other sources, or unplugging the AC power cord. I have a feeling this has something to do with how Denon handles with HDMI switching, it doesn't matter how or where it's connected so long as there's one going IN or OUT of the receiver, I can almost guarantee you that this problem will re-occur -- as it has happened to me on average once every month since I've owned it. In my opinion, this is a great receiver (if it wants to be) but it is severely marred by a design flaw -- HDMI.

They need to release a firmware fix for this. Maybe it's about time we can link them this issue!
post #6227 of 7296 Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Thanks 80sGuy and jdsmoothie for the inputs. I will report back in a couple of months.

post #6228 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

As it happens, Netflix does have 5.1 streams, but they're in the minority, usually limited to newer movies and shows, which are sometimes also HD video streams.

I want to make sure you understand me: I'm not suggesting that you change anything about your 5.1 setup, other than the listening mode on your receiver when watching video that's accompanied by two-channel audio tracks. I think you will get much clearer, better-sounding results from running in multi-channel stereo, than by using "faked" 5.1 modes like PLII and its DTS equivalent. Mind you, multi-channel stereo still uses all your speakers. I didn't buy a 7.1 set to listen to my mains alone, of course.

If you understood me when I said that the first time, then never mind, and good luck

Ok I tried using the SIMU mode on my Denon instead of the PLII. My front C 100 Energy speakers are mounted just below the ceiling 12 ft apart with the Center C C 10 in the middle. The SIMU mode did take the 2 channel Sterio feed and put it into 5-1 on the Denon. What I noticed is that all three speakers seemed to be emitting the same media and was about 4 to 5 db louder than PLII. PLII Cinema does put the streamed voices through the CC 10.

As I mentioned the CC 10 has such great sound the only problem is that female voices are too soft and if I crank up the volume everything is too loud. I could go into setup and defeat the Audyssey setup by increasing the center channel speaker volume but not sure if this would have a pleasing effect

My spouse demands that I put the Denon into Evening or Midnight mode using the Dynamic Eq on > Dynamic vol on.

I am not sure if this post belongs in the A udssey , Energy of Denon forums but since this issue appears to be Denon related it was copied from the Energy forum. Help from anybody would be appreciated
post #6229 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Keep in mind that the Denon SIMU "Multi CH Stereo" mode simply replicates the same signal to all sets of speakers (left to left, right to right and mixed in the center) and is only recommended for parties when you want to distribute audio evenly around a room and perhaps later at night when you want to be able to hear the dialog that is normally directed to the center channel a little louder without raising the overall master volume. Otherwise the best mode for stereo TV/movie audio is the DD PLII - Cinema mode if you want to enjoy "surround" audio, which is why I presume you bought a 5.1 setup ... yes? Also note that Audyssey doesn't set the speaker volume levels, so if you want to bump up the center channel volume a few db, then go ahead as it won't affect the Audyssey filtering. If you haven't already, you also might try setting the Dyn EQ Reference Level Offset setting to 10 or 15 which will improve the center channel dialog for cable/sat TV viewing.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6230 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^
Keep in mind that the Denon SIMU "Multi CH Stereo" mode simply replicates the same signal to all sets of speakers (left to left, right to right and mixed in the center) and is only recommended for parties when you want to distribute audio evenly around a room and perhaps later at night when you want to be able to hear the dialog that is normally directed to the center channel a little louder without raising the overall master volume. Otherwise the best mode for stereo TV/movie audio is the DD PLII - Cinema mode if you want to enjoy "surround" audio, which is why I presume you bought a 5.1 setup ... yes? Also note that Audyssey doesn't set the speaker volume levels, so if you want to bump up the center channel volume a few db, then go ahead as it won't affect the Audyssey filtering. If you haven't already, you also might try setting the Dyn EQ Reference Level Offset setting to 10 or 15 which will improve the center channel dialog for cable/sat TV viewing.

Thanks for your reply. I agree that I prefer PLII so I will use your suggestion to bump the center up. Since I have a Harmony remote, I may just program a button for center channel up.
I am unfamiliar with the Dyn Eq reference Level Ofset setting. My cable/Sat is hooked up to D* with optical cable and it is ok (sometimes I get 5-1 broadcast) but the problem appears with Netflix streaming which is HDMI from my blu Ray Wifi to the Denon. On the blue ray player setup I see in the Audio 3 different sampling rates (48k,96k, and 192k {as I remember}) I am unsure as to how this should be set to work best with the Denon. Can U advise?
post #6231 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 08:25 AM
585-645-1006

^^
That is likely just an issue with how the Netflix audio is mixed. It's generally best to let your BDP "Auto Setup" itself based on the connection to the AVR and TV. For more information on Ref Level Offset refer to p. 51 in your Owner's manual.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6232 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^
That is likely just an issue with how the Netflix audio is mixed. It's generally best to let your BDP "Auto Setup" itself based on the connection to the AVR and TV. For more information on Ref Level Offset refer to p. 51 in your Owner's manual.

I appreciate your help. Page 51 of my manual has nothing about Level offset but page 49 shows on item 11 effect range 5-10-15 but does not mention as to how to set them. It mentions the tables of setable ranges on page 76,77. Batpig says the manual sucks and I agree. Can you help me as to where the adjustment is (spell it out as I am dumb}

I did program the harmony to adjust the center channel and increasing it by a coupl of db does help.
post #6233 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 02:48 PM
585-645-1006

^^
That's why it helps to list the model number you are inquiring about ... which in your case seems to be the 890 vice the 2310. The Reference Level Offset is adjustable by input so refer to the input source's settings for the PS3 on the 890.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6234 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

....Batpig says the manual sucks and I agree....

x2!
post #6235 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

No I have a 2309CI. It appears that the surround has 17 settable modes and what you are referring to is item number 11 Effect variable range that is adjusted by going into parameters menu. Am I correct?
post #6236 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 05:45 PM
585-645-1006

Ah .. you're in the wrong thread. This is the 2310/890 thread. The 2309 doesn't have a Reference Level Offset feature.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #6237 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ah .. you're in the wrong thread. This is the 2310/890 thread. The 2309 doesn't have a Reference Level Offset feature.

OOPS
post #6238 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Have a little issue with my 2310. Version of my 2310 is 0.69 and sub is .30. I know it's a little out of date but since I've had no issues, I felt I didn't need the updates.

Problem started when I hooked up my older 5 disc dvd changer. Hooked it up with component to comp1 and coax to coax1. Reassigned inputs and it started working great. Then when in the middle of a movie, the screen just goes black for a second. Sound still comes through...it seems to happen when there's a lot of action on the screen....(I was only watching little mermaid with my daughter). Is there an update for this? Or should I look deeper into my settings. The receiver work great with all other sources, no issues at all with ps3, dtv, tv...but it happened 3 times tonight during the movie with the "new" dvd player.

Any suggestions?
post #6239 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

^^Sounds like the trouble lies in the DVD player and not from the receiver.
post #6240 of 7296 Old 07-27-2011, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
^^^ thinking the same thing, but I just want to be sure its not a setting I missed or an update I may need to do..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page