*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 2310CI / 890 Owner's Thread - Page 217 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6481 of 7247 Old 11-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, looks like I'm screwed. I found my original invoice from Sixth Avenue Electronics. It was purchased on 08/22/09 so as you can probably see, i'm 2.5 months out of warranty!! Hooray for me. What a waste. I paid for the item through paypal and it debited my bank account directly so as far as I know there's no back end coverage thru them.

I called Denon and was on with their support staff for a solid 45 mins. He had me try the test tones, then we reset the whole unit, then tried the test tones again and I'm not getting any sound. He then put me on hold for a few minutes while he checked to see if it was under warranty and it is not. Ughhh, why didn't I complain about this a year ago when it first started happening? Why????

Guess I'm going to have to look for a new unit now. Unless someone would be kind enough to share their receipt that's still under warranty with me. Haha, one can dream!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 7247 Old 11-11-2011, 05:34 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
^^
Yeh ... lesson learned ... always buy electronics with a credit card if it offers extended warranty. I've replaced a $200 cell phone and $150 electric shaver that way, both of which failed a few months out of warranty but were covered by Amex's extended warranty plan. In fact, I didn't even have to submit any paperwork ... Amex immediately credited my card for the purchase amounts which they verified looking at my account history.

Well on the bright side ... look at as an early Christmas gift. Check out post #2 in the Denon XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig to review a comparison of the latest models. The best purchase price point wise is the 2112CI which, although not using a video chip, does upgrade to the better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT, has networking, Airplay, can be controlled via a smart phone anywhere in the house that reaches the home network, and comes with a 3 year warranty. It can be had for a good discount by "calling" AV Science or Electronics Expo.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6483 of 7247 Old 11-12-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashclash View Post

I don't see how that could be the issue. If it was hdmi cable wouldn't it cut out both audio and video, not just audio? Also, I'm pretty sure I've switched over to tuner when its cutoff audio and this would have bypassed the hdmi anyway.

Something is up with my unit. Its so annoying to be watching a show and the sound cuts out. It makes the same exact click noise when it cuts out as if you were hitting the mute button.

I have a blackberry playbook which I hook to a Denon 2310 to watch streaming movies from Amazon. About half the time I turn it on I have no sound, pic is great just no sound. A quick unplug and plug back in of the HDMI cable (while both are powered on)and I have sound. Just a thought
post #6484 of 7247 Old 11-12-2011, 06:10 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashclash View Post

I called Denon and was on with their support staff for a solid 45 mins. He had me try the test tones, then we reset the whole unit, then tried the test tones again and I'm not getting any sound. He then put me on hold for a few minutes while he checked to see if it was under warranty and it is not. Ughhh, why didn't I complain about this a year ago when it first started happening? Why????

Here's a thought. Rather than calling Denon CSR (a third party company based out of Texas), try using their website ask a question where you'll reach a real Denon employee. Explain that you're aware you're just outside of the 2 year warranty; however, have had the issue for the past year and read on AVS Forum that some others have had a similar issue and it was resolved by having the headphone jack replaced. Plead with them to resolve it as an "in warranty" issue as it's a known issue with that line of AVRs. You might be pleasantly surprised .. and if not, well at least you tried.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #6485 of 7247 Old 11-12-2011, 09:17 AM

Liked: 14
Hey guys,

Recently got a replacement tv and had to reposition my speakers a bit so I ran the auto setup again. I have a couple questions. I play a lot of games and was never too happy with the balance last time. For instance I had a hard time hearing the soldiers in modern warfare 3, or in brutal legend the rear speakers were too loud when you would pan the camera around, your car was louder the when you were directly looking at it. I adjusted them manually to get better balance.

One question I have: in the audyssey settings there is a ref level offset variable from 0-15. The the descriptions are good regarding movies, tv, and different music, but what is good for games? I'm using 15dB. What is compressed dynamic range content? I know games use heavy compression for sound to fit on disc. Is that the same thing?

Also, I think I asked this before, so I'll search, but when I ran the setup, I got a phase error after the detection phase. Front and center. The manual says this may occur and to just push forward.

So far I'm pretty happy with the auto setup this time. Probably keep it this way unless I notice odd levels in various content. Usually games force me to manually adjust it.
post #6486 of 7247 Old 11-12-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Dynamic EQ doesn't always work well with video games for the exact reasons you describe. This is discussed in my Audyssey FAQ: http://batpigworld.com/faqd.html#audyssey

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #6487 of 7247 Old 11-13-2011, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Generally, you have a lower chance of HDMI handshake issues when powering on in this order: TV, AVR, source ... so give that a try. If still no joy, give the HDMI reset procedure a try. You also may want to try updating the firmware if not already done. Refer to post #2013 for more info.

I already had reset the microprocessor, and the problem still came back. I know the advice about the order to turn on the TV, AVR, cable box to help HDMI issues, but should this be the case if there is only one HDMI from AVR to TV and the other connections are coax / component?
I also can't control what everyone who uses the system does unless I get a Harmony. Anyone have recommendations in what is the best bang for the buck Harmony, by the way?
You don't think the surge protector layout or some other setting could be changed to reduce the occurrence of this happening?
Just to see if it helps I will PM you for the firmware upgrade, which I have not done (although this problem is not listed as among those fixed by any of the firmware versions).

LCR: Hsu HB-1 MK2, HC-1 MK2 ........ Subwoofers: Rhythmik D15SE, Hsu VTF-2 MK4
Receiver: Denon 2310CI .................. Networking: ATV3, WDTV Live
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-80 .................... TV: Panasonic TC-50PU54
post #6488 of 7247 Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmr View Post

I know the advice about the order to turn on the TV, AVR, cable box to help HDMI issues, but should this be the case if there is only one HDMI from AVR to TV and the other connections are coax / component?

One way to find out is to power on in that order and see if the issue resolves itself.

post #6489 of 7247 Old 11-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It doesn't happen consistently no matter what order I use. If it is consistent it may be the combination of the order and the time delay.

LCR: Hsu HB-1 MK2, HC-1 MK2 ........ Subwoofers: Rhythmik D15SE, Hsu VTF-2 MK4
Receiver: Denon 2310CI .................. Networking: ATV3, WDTV Live
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-80 .................... TV: Panasonic TC-50PU54
post #6490 of 7247 Old 11-15-2011, 04:01 PM

Hi. I haven't read through every post to find out if anybody else is having this problem so please forgive me if there is an existing post. Recently my 2310 has been randomly changing inputs while I am watching something. I might be watching television and it will switch to Blu-Ray. I might be playing XBox and it will switch to iPod. Is this something that can be fixed easily? Any information and assistance is greatly appreciated.
post #6491 of 7247 Old 11-15-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

try unplugging it for 10+ minutes (soft reset) and see if the problem goes away.

if it doesn't, your best bet is to reset the mircroprocessor (hard reset, instructions are in the manual). unfortunately that will wipe your settings so you will have to re-run Audyssey, reconfigure inputs, etc.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6492 of 7247 Old 11-16-2011, 08:45 AM

Thank you. I will give that a try.
post #6493 of 7247 Old 11-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Just got my AVR-2310ci back for the repair shop for a bad HDMI Board and now there is no sound. I tried looking through settings but some of the sound options like adjust speaker volume are gone. I also noticed that the optical audio ports have no laser bleed, they are completely dark. Any suggestions or does it have to go right back to the repair shop? I already did the processor reset. Also the reciever does nothing when i plug the setup MIC in, It use to automatically start the audio setup.
post #6494 of 7247 Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Do another microprocessor reset, ensuring that you press/hold the buttons for at least 4-5 seconds after the front panel starts flashing. If still no joy, then call the repair facility to get an RMA and prepaid mailing label so you don't have to pay for return shipping.

post #6495 of 7247 Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone noticed how DTS Surround tracks seems to be alot louder than the HD audio tracks on the 2310?
post #6496 of 7247 Old 11-26-2011, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi,
long time since i bought my 2310 (european), but haven't had any issues, just enjoying it.

As things have developed, i want to use my PC for web based broadcasts, mainly sports. I have connected the TV directly via HDMI, and previously used Line Out to analog on the AVR, and it has worked. Now i have "upgraded" to an optical cable, but i run into problems, no sound...

What i have done is, assigned the optical 3 (the 2 others are occupied by satbox and CD) to DVR (which i have as "PC input). I have tried changing the "Input Mode" from Auot to all other modes, but still no sound. Is there anything else i have missed?

Is there any way to determine if i get sound out from the PC (apart fromchecking that ther's red light in the end of the cable)? The optical out is probably on the motherboard, together with the other audio outputs. I have Realtek's latest drivers. I have tried to fiddle withRealteks settings on the computer, i have tried to play music CDs from the computer and other streaming media. I have Windows 7, and everything "should" be up to date. I had to go back to the LineOut output today, and this works at least.
post #6497 of 7247 Old 11-26-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

the first thing to do is to connect the optical out to one of the other ports that you KNOW is working correctly. At this point you don't even know if the optical out is sending out audio so it's hard to say what the issue is on the receiver side (if there even is one).

e.g. if your CD player is working fine in OPT-2, then plug the PC in there and switch to "CD" and see if it still works. If it doesn't, then the problem is the optical output of the PC itself.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6498 of 7247 Old 11-26-2011, 12:06 PM

I tried that in the meantime, and yes it works when i connect the optical to the CD input (Opt2). So, sound is coming from teh PC and the cable, which means either problem with the AVR, the settings, or just me. (And i lean towards the latter )

Also tried the CD's optical cable into Opt3, and the same result as for the PC, i.e. no sound. Only change i did was switching cables between OPT2 between Opt 3.
post #6499 of 7247 Old 11-26-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansj View Post

I tried that in the meantime, and yes it works when i connect the optical to the CD input (Opt2). So, sound is coming from teh PC and the cable, which means either problem with the AVR, the settings, or just me. (And i lean towards the latter )

Also tried the CD's optical cable into Opt3, and the same result as for the PC, i.e. no sound. Only change i did was switching cables between OPT2 between Opt 3.

Hi hansj, are you sure that OPT3 is an input and not an OPT2 output?
post #6500 of 7247 Old 11-26-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Good point. You ARE aware that OPT-3 is the FRONT input right?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6501 of 7247 Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansj View Post

...problem with the AVR, the settings, or just me. (And i lean towards the latter )...

And i was right, it was probably me then. No, i was not aware of that. I'll try that tomorrow. Then i will put a funny hat on, and sit in the corner of the livingroom for the rest of the day...

I never pulled the AVR from where it's hidden. Many cables are just about long enough to pull it out half the way, and the HDMI contacts are not 100% and i didn't want to reset the microprocessor because of any HDMI issue, and... OK, shut up, and put the funnyhat on.

Thanks!

Edit:
Had to try immediately, and it works like a charm. Sorry for taking up your valuable time...
post #6502 of 7247 Old 11-27-2011, 12:01 PM

Hi all! Happy holidays!

Need help with a Sirius SCH 1. Hooked upto my 2310 using an 8 pin din and toslink for audio. It is connected to the CD input. I can hear Sirius previews but nothing on the 2310's display. What do I do please?
post #6503 of 7247 Old 11-27-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithOz View Post

Hi all! Happy holidays!

Need help with a Sirius SCH 1. Hooked upto my 2310 using an 8 pin din and toslink for audio. It is connected to the CD input. I can hear Sirius previews but nothing on the 2310's display. What do I do please?

Hi KeithOz, why not connect SCH-1 8 pin din to "SAT TU Sirus" jack and the optical/toslink cable to OPT-1 (or OPT-2) jack. Then assign OPT-1 (or OPT-2) to Input Source "Sirius" under Digital Input Assign and press "SAT TU" button to play.
post #6504 of 7247 Old 11-27-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi KeithOz, why not connect SCH-1 8 pin din to "SAT TU Sirus" jack and the optical/toslink cable to OPT-1 (or OPT-2) jack. Then assign OPT-1 (or OPT-2) to Input Source "Sirius" under Digital Input Assign and press "SAT TU" button to play.

Hi Jchin,

Thanks man.
I can't assign anything to the Input source or to Sirius. How do I change the input source to Sirius. I can hear Sirius previews but no display on the 2310's display.
When I press the band button on the 2310 is it supposed to show Sirius?
Much appreciated .
post #6505 of 7247 Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 AM

How do you all use Sirius and get it to dispaly channel info on the Denon?
post #6506 of 7247 Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 PM

Thanks. The source was deleted. I got it working, Sirius is fine.
post #6507 of 7247 Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I am looking to have a zone 2 (with 2.0) in another room. I have this connected via the Surround back ports. My question is can I use both A & B ports on my speakers to bi amp my front speakers? Or is this just Bi wiring which is not as helpful from what i've read.

Basically my question is: is it proper to use both A and B to power my front polk monitor 70s or should I just use A and not plug anything into B?

Thank you
post #6508 of 7247 Old 11-30-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A & B share the same amp so it's just glorified bi-wiring. Just connect to A.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6509 of 7247 Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's what I thought. BTW batpig thank you so much for your support and helpful resources. You have truly made my home theater possible.
post #6510 of 7247 Old 12-01-2011, 07:03 AM
585-645-1006

^^
No loss though as passive bi-amping with an AVR shows no real improvement in either additional power or audio fidelity.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page