*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 2310CI / 890 Owner's Thread - Page 245 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #7321 of 7336 Old 06-26-2016, 06:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9868 Post(s)
Liked: 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpike View Post
Moved into a house with built in speakers, the one outside is really fun. Per batpigs suggestions I've got the zone 2 going via amp assign. My concern is that I've got to set the volume to it's highest setting in order to get it loud enough to hear outside. I'm using aux input in the front of my 890 and connecting my note 5 via headphone to rca. Anyone else using a similar setup? Having to turn volume to max on your receiver?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
You've got a much longer speaker wire run so to be expected. You may instead want to consider using an external 2CH amp via the Zone 2 pre-outs for more power.
tpike likes this.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7336 Old 06-26-2016, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpike View Post
Moved into a house with built in speakers, the one outside is really fun. Per batpigs suggestions I've got the zone 2 going via amp assign. My concern is that I've got to set the volume to it's highest setting in order to get it loud enough to hear outside. I'm using aux input in the front of my 890 and connecting my note 5 via headphone to rca. Anyone else using a similar setup? Having to turn volume to max on your receiver?

Did you insert a speaker selector? The house I moved in had speakers for all rooms shorted together
I've run the system (with the Monoprice speaker selector) with a 1712 using the internal amps and with a 2310ci using the preouts and a circa 1990 Sony receiver as an amp. The preout + Sony combination can get louder. Also, check that there is not a -10 dB volume limiter for zone 2. I had that on the 1712 as the default, not sure if it was on the 2310ci. On the 1712 using the internal amps I definitely had to get to about 0 for reasonable volume to zone 2.
tpike likes this.

LCR: Hsu HB-1 MK2, HC-1 MK2..........Subwoofers: Rhythmik D15SE, Hsu VTF-2 MK4
Receiver: Denon 1712CI, 2310CI........Networking: Roku 3, WDTV Live......Other: MiniDSP 2x4 RevB
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-80, Sony S590.....TV: Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TC-50PU54
Atmos/DTS-X: 5.1.4; RSL C34E speakers; receiver TBD
post #7323 of 7336 Old 06-30-2016, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you both for replying! Just to clarify, you're both implying putting an amp between my denon and the speaker?

Yes it is a pretty long pull to the outside klipsch. There's also a little volume slider on the wall to give me control closer to the speaker. I'm not positive where to look for the -10 db limiter. I have noticed that some sources have a little number on the to right of the screen that looks like db. Not sure what it stands for, frankly I've not played around to see if it's a source volume or something. Seems to fluctuate, Idk.

Lastly, no speaker selector. Currently, it's phone to headphone splitter to rca to denon and this thing built into the walls that pushes sound to speakers in the ceiling indoor. That volume is much louder and isn't running through denon. Maybe there's an amp in those speakers.

post #7324 of 7336 Old 07-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 31
FM Tuner not working, no sound at all.

All of a sudden my FM tuner stopped transmitting. It was working fine all these years, though signal can be shady at times but usually moving the antenna around will improve. I turned on the receiver yesterday and there was very little to zero signal even though I rearranged the antenna, then today it became silent, totally dead! AM radio works fine though. I've tried everything from....

- unplugging, re-plugged the antenna,
- tried a tv coaxial wire and got a split second of signal then went dead.
- tried (the classic) inserting speaker wire into the pin hole but nada...
- made sure it wasn't on Zone 2
- made sure it wasn't on EXT-IN
- re-tighten all HDMI cables
- switched between auto-tune to manual tune by pressing 'Mode' on back of remote...from here I get PURE STATIC!!!

Only thing I have not tried is do a 'factory reset' which I'm trying to avoid (due to custom settings) is probably my last option. Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced this FM tuner erratic behavior?
post #7325 of 7336 Old 07-02-2016, 05:10 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
All of a sudden my FM tuner stopped transmitting. It was working fine all these years, though signal can be shady at times but usually moving the antenna around will improve. I turned on the receiver yesterday and there was very little to zero signal even though I rearranged the antenna, then today it became silent, totally dead! AM radio works fine though. I've tried everything from....

- unplugging, re-plugged the antenna,
- tried a tv coaxial wire and got a split second of signal then went dead.
- tried (the classic) inserting speaker wire into the pin hole but nada...
- made sure it wasn't on Zone 2
- made sure it wasn't on EXT-IN
- re-tighten all HDMI cables
- switched between auto-tune to manual tune by pressing 'Mode' on back of remote...from here I get PURE STATIC!!!

Only thing I have not tried is do a 'factory reset' which I'm trying to avoid (due to custom settings) is probably my last option. Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced this FM tuner erratic behavior?
Try first doing a "soft reset" by powering off and unplugging the power cord to the AVR. If still no joy, the factory reset is the next option.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #7326 of 7336 Old 07-05-2016, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try first doing a "soft reset" by powering off and unplugging the power cord to the AVR. If still no joy, the factory reset is the next option.
Did both resets, no go. AM works fine but FM is dead quiet in 'Auto' mode, and nothing but static on manual.
post #7327 of 7336 Old 07-05-2016, 06:36 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Did both resets, no go. AM works fine but FM is dead quiet in 'Auto' mode, and nothing but static on manual.
Sounds like the FM tuner is gone.

You may want to consider connecting an external FM radio as a work around.

------------

post #7328 of 7336 Old 07-05-2016, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I think it is on its last breath. Funny it is all in one unit shared with AM. Next step is moving the deck out and place it near a window to see if I can catch any signal because sometimes I can get a split-second 'tuned' by painstakingly moving the antenna around, but it then dies out. If that doesn't work then I'd have to take the tuner out and see if a thorough cleaning would help.
post #7329 of 7336 Old 07-07-2016, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys

I have an AVR2310, something strange happened a while ago and im not sure if there's something wrong with my AVR or if i've done something to cause the behavior. Avr functions perfectly when in CBL and Media player mode (satellite decoder and apple tv), when i either us the FM radio function or Satellite radio (network) function, audio plays fine, but i dont get any picture on my TV. Picture so i can change satellite radio stations, program memory,etc...
post #7330 of 7336 Old 07-07-2016, 07:47 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjuch View Post
Hi Guys

I have an AVR2310, something strange happened a while ago and im not sure if there's something wrong with my AVR or if i've done something to cause the behavior. Avr functions perfectly when in CBL and Media player mode (satellite decoder and apple tv), when i either us the FM radio function or Satellite radio (network) function, audio plays fine, but i dont get any picture on my TV. Picture so i can change satellite radio stations, program memory,etc...
This has been known to happen on some units which may require repair to resolve. Try doing a "soft reset" by powering off and unplugging the unit for 10 minutes.

------------

post #7331 of 7336 Old 07-10-2016, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I fixed the issue by replacing the tuner. First I tried cleaning the original unit but it was totally sealed, and did what I could by spraying Contact Cleaner but still no go so I got a used tuner and voila...now my FM is working like it should, along with AM of course. The (used) replacement part is exactly the same. Not bad for a $10 fix!

post #7332 of 7336 Old 07-11-2016, 01:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
This has been known to happen on some units which may require repair to resolve. Try doing a "soft reset" by powering off and unplugging the unit for 10 minutes.
Thanks, my mistake, i actually have a 2313, i assume its probably a similar issue? Tried unplugging the unit, now change...
post #7333 of 7336 Old 07-11-2016, 01:15 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjuch View Post
Thanks, my mistake, i actually have a 2313, i assume its probably a similar issue? Tried unplugging the unit, now change...
Correct. Try doing a few microprocessor resets (p. 156 Owner's manual) in a row.

------------

post #7334 of 7336 Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

I have a AVR 2310. Haven't changed much in the last years:

- PS4 connected at 1080p. Connected through HDMI.
- Windows 10 PC connected. Not sure about resolution but about 2000x1000 I guess. Quite high. Also connected through HDMI.
- B&W surround speakers in 5.1 setting
- TV was a full HD 47 inch Samsung. Connected through HDMI.

Working for years. Very happy.

But I got a new TV last week. 65 inch Ultra HD.

Connected it to the receiver and started the PS4. Worked; no issue.

Switched to PC; no image

Please note nothing else changed; all cables, connections, resolutions as before.

After a lot of fiddling got my PC booted on low resolution (800x600) and that worked. Now I have image again on the new TV. But whatever resolution I change to; image disappears and I get the Denon splash screen. Whatever I try the receiver won't give any image except on the lowest resolution.

The HDMI handshake told the PC that the TV is now UltraHD. On the screen where you select resolution the 4K resolution has recommended in brackets behind it. That's fine for me but I only want HD and not UHD. That does not work; whatever resolution I choose results in no image (except the lowest).

I checked the manual under "video settings". Tried a few things but don't really understand

Now I know my receiver is not 4K ready but that's fine. I just want my old resolution for the PC back (full HD).

I am considering a new receiver but I just spent my cash on a big TV. Not in the mood to fork out another 1K on a new receiver

Any ideas what is going on here???
post #7335 of 7336 Old Today, 01:52 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointy1971 View Post
I have a AVR 2310. Haven't changed much in the last years:

- PS4 connected at 1080p. Connected through HDMI.
- Windows 10 PC connected. Not sure about resolution but about 2000x1000 I guess. Quite high. Also connected through HDMI.
- B&W surround speakers in 5.1 setting
- TV was a full HD 47 inch Samsung. Connected through HDMI.

Working for years. Very happy.

But I got a new TV last week. 65 inch Ultra HD.

Connected it to the receiver and started the PS4. Worked; no issue.

Switched to PC; no image

Please note nothing else changed; all cables, connections, resolutions as before.

After a lot of fiddling got my PC booted on low resolution (800x600) and that worked. Now I have image again on the new TV. But whatever resolution I change to; image disappears and I get the Denon splash screen. Whatever I try the receiver won't give any image except on the lowest resolution.

The HDMI handshake told the PC that the TV is now UltraHD. On the screen where you select resolution the 4K resolution has recommended in brackets behind it. That's fine for me but I only want HD and not UHD. That does not work; whatever resolution I choose results in no image (except the lowest).

I checked the manual under "video settings". Tried a few things but don't really understand

Now I know my receiver is not 4K ready but that's fine. I just want my old resolution for the PC back (full HD).

I am considering a new receiver but I just spent my cash on a big TV. Not in the mood to fork out another 1K on a new receiver

Any ideas what is going on here???

In order to pass a 4k/18Ghz signal you're going to have to upgrade to the newer "Premium" HDMI cables anyway, so upgrade now.

http://www.monoprice.com/search/inde...igLink-2470763

------------

post #7336 of 7336 Old Today, 03:29 AM

I don't want 4K. Receiver does not support it anyway. I just want my 1080p back.

Cables are fine. Receiver or PC has an issue...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page