*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 2310CI / 890 Owner's Thread - Page 247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #7381 of 7384 Old 08-28-2017, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
You can try the firmware update, or do a couple of hard resets before that. Denon no longer support these 'older' units. As for the light, you can always cover it with a couple of layers of invisible tape. I personally like the light, it is crucial to (let me) know that I have a feature that works.
I have the 890, so I don't think I could manually update it myself even if I wanted to. It'd have to be serviced, correct? And I have no plans to do that.

I basically wanted to know if i diagnosed the ailment correctly (assume it's the firmware issues)... and if simply going with pcm solves it? I tested one bluray just now, seems to work fine, so assume that will work. Not sure if I should expect any other oddities though, or if pcm is the same as dolby/dts hd (assume it's basically the same).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7384 Old 08-28-2017, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I recently purchased a used denon 890 and ran into an issue with audio + blurays. Basically the bluray starts, blue light shines, yet no audio. If I switch back to a different audio source or cycle through the audio tracks, then Dolby/DTS HD plays (at least usually). One time when it was playing it also wouldn't allow Audyssey or Dynamic EQ to work at all, just stated 'not available' when I tried to choose them.

Looking back on this thread I think I diagnosed the issue as the firmware requiring an update. My question is, can I simply use pcm from my bluray player, and is that basically the equivalent, even though the dolby hd light isn't on? I sort of hate that light anyway (I prefer the dimmer all the way off), so no big loss if I'm just losing an annoying blue light.

Any other issues I may run into? I also have another bluray player I could try instead, but not sure if the issue is for all players, or just certain brands.

Also not sure if denon still updates firmware for these or not, seeing they are pretty old. I do have one center near me, but they are 'self-servicing' only, which I am guessing means they just fix newer models they sell themselves.
I also have a 2310. There is no loss in sound quality in using PCM decoded by the blu-ray player, at least for a HDMI 1.3 capable blu-ray player (same age). There is a method to self update a 2310 requiring purchasing a connector for the RS232 port, but I don't think this applies to an 890. You would also have to have the file. There is no internet connection and no allowance for using USB to update. Personally, I would try the PCM route in this case. Not sure how persistent your other issue is.
Doe Doe likes this.

LCR: Hsu HB-1 MK2, HC-1 MK2..........Subwoofer: Rhythmik D15SE
Receiver: Denon X4200W..................Networking: Roku Premiere+, Chromecast Audio
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-80......................TV: Samsung PN60F8500
Atmos/DTS-X: 5.1.4; RSL C34E speakers
post #7383 of 7384 Old 08-28-2017, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You're right as there are no 'straight cable' plug built in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I have the 890, so I don't think I could manually update it myself even if I wanted to. It'd have to be serviced, correct? And I have no plans to do that.

I basically wanted to know if i diagnosed the ailment correctly (assume it's the firmware issues)... and if simply going with pcm solves it? I tested one bluray just now, seems to work fine, so assume that will work. Not sure if I should expect any other oddities though, or if pcm is the same as dolby/dts hd (assume it's basically the same).

post #7384 of 7384 Old 08-29-2017, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by highmr View Post
I also have a 2310. There is no loss in sound quality in using PCM decoded by the blu-ray player, at least for a HDMI 1.3 capable blu-ray player (same age). There is a method to self update a 2310 requiring purchasing a connector for the RS232 port, but I don't think this applies to an 890. You would also have to have the file. There is no internet connection and no allowance for using USB to update. Personally, I would try the PCM route in this case. Not sure how persistent your other issue is.
I just watched a full movie using pcm, no issues, and to my ears it seems fine. Started up with no issues, just no blue light, which again I didn't like anyway. So I think I am good.

As for the audyssey/dynamic eq not working, it works if using pcm. I'm not sure what the issue was with that, although I read that sometimes with higher bitstream tracks that audyssey doesn't always play nice, so maybe that was going on. Or it was just an avr bug...

Last edited by Doe Doe; 08-29-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page