AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes View Post

I got my 2310 setup last night too.
Couple things that I discovered from that...
1. my FIOS HD DVR plays nice with the TV directly, but through the receiver it has handshake issues. work-around right now is to use component cables. Researching this a bit it seems like a bunch of people are having issues with this specific Motorola box.

This is being discussed in the Pioneer thread as well (SC-05, 07) people there figured out that HDMI 3 worked but HDMI 1 and 2 will not work for a good picture.

Not taking any credit, but posts there led to over here so figured someone should let you know and you can try it out on your receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

@ blarf - what you did is correct, read through the Audyssey section of my FAQ for what you can or can't change after Audyssey: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

Any changes you make in MANUAL SETUP will automatically override what was done in AUTO SETUP. If you mess up and want to start from scratch you can always RESTORE the Audyssey calibration's default settings (Auto Setup > Parameter Check > Restore).

According to the manual, if you override the settings established during the autosetup, MultEQ, DynamicEQ and Dynamic Volume cannot be selected (pg 50). Is this to mean that they cannot be enabled or used?
post #813 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 AM

Hi all,
New to this stuff. Just bought a Denon avr 2310ci yesterday and I am having trouble getting sound from my panny db60. All I have hooked up is my pvr and the panny both HDMI and my 360 by component, I am getting sound from the 360 and the pvr but not the blu ray. Batpig can you think of anything?

Thanks in advance
post #814 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Well, it arrived yesterday on-time and double-boxed. Even though I knew I would have little luck right now, I unboxed it and plugged it in... had to chuckle a bit at the remote.

Sadly, I can't try it out yet. The only speakers I have in the house right now are some fairly cheapy "multimedia speakers" that connect via RCA. Try as I might, I couldn't find any way for them to put out even a simple stereo signal from the receiver (at any audible volume, anyway). Oh well, I expected this. Just have to wait a couple more days until I'm finished moving and I can unbox the usual speaker set. I'll get to play around with all of the video connections then too

I'm looking forward to it.

Up Up Down Down L R L R B A Start
post #815 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 AM

Just got a call from the missus. The 2310 has arrived! Only 4 hrs and 40 mins till I get off work and 1.5 hours after that until I get home

Close call too as she was getting ready to head to work (sig required).
post #816 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by vassillios View Post

According to the manual, if you override the settings established during the autosetup, MultEQ, DynamicEQ and Dynamic Volume cannot be selected (pg 50). Is this to mean that they cannot be enabled or used?

No, please refer to that section of my FAQ as opposed to trying to decipher the manual. What the manual is actually referring to on pg 50 (when it says "If the speaker settings are changed...") is the NUMBER of speakers you have. As I say in my FAQ, you can change anything you want in terms of crossovers, size, levels, etc. without affecting Audyssey. However, you would never really know that by reading the manual alone..... trust me, I've tried all this stuff out!

So what the manual means is, for example, if you run Audyssey and have a 5.1 setup... and then you add two rear surrounds or two height speakers and go to "Speaker Config" and tell the AVR you have two more speakers, it will disable Audyssey and tell you to run it again because Audyssey needs to calculate filters for the new speakers. So basically that line in the manual is specifically referring ONLY to the Speaker Config menu.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #817 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 11:16 AM

I bought the AVR 890 a couple of days ago. I have it running to my PT-AE200U projector through HDMI. I currently have running to the reciever an older Toshiba dvd (1600) on component (DVD ports), Wii via component (DVR ports) & my cable HD through HDMI 3port. Had troubles getting it going at first then had them all running fine tried to switch from HD cable to dvd both were running but as soon as I switched source directly on the reciever I lost both audio & video on everything & couldn't get it back. Is this have anything to do with this HDMI handshake I keep seeing on here?
I do plan to upgrade the dvd player (mind you going through the the ABT2010 gives an awesome picture).
Any input would be helpful.
Lovin it but confused
post #818 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:

No, please refer to that section of my FAQ as opposed to trying to decipher the manual. What the manual is actually referring to on pg 50 (when it says "If the speaker settings are changed...") is the NUMBER of speakers you have. As I say in my FAQ, you can change anything you want in terms of crossovers, size, levels, etc. without affecting Audyssey. However, you would never really know that by reading the manual alone..... trust me, I've tried all this stuff out!

So what the manual means is, for example, if you run Audyssey and have a 5.1 setup... and then you add two rear surrounds or two height speakers and go to "Speaker Config" and tell the AVR you have two more speakers, it will disable Audyssey and tell you to run it again because Audyssey needs to calculate filters for the new speakers. So basically that line in the manual is specifically referring ONLY to the Speaker Config menu.

gotcha, thanks.

I've been reading your denon stuff...very informative. You may want to update the PS3 stuff to state that the slim CAN bitstream....just thought i'd mention it.
post #819 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks1839 View Post

I have a FIOS HD DVR, and while it takes a few seconds to display initially, it seems fine after that. Which model do you have? Mine is the 6416-2, I believe.

I don't have it right in front of me but if my memory serves me well (and it does at times) it's a 71xx. I'm going to fool around a bit more with it tonight to see if I can get it working.
post #820 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 12:32 PM

just ordered mine from 6ave...won't be able to use it for 5 weeks though :/
post #821 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanshah View Post

just ordered mine from 6ave...won't be able to use it for 5 weeks though :/

Ouch!
post #822 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 01:15 PM

Just got my shipping confirmation email for the AVR-2310ci so I thought I would share the details of my deal.

Ordered from Abt.com on late Monday evening for $508 shipped. Shipped out 24 hours after my order was placed from Chicago. Estimated delivery to Bangor, ME will be Friday the 28th. Seems like a pretty good turn around.

As far as getting the price that I did I had to call in to get the deal. As always YMMV.

Also I am not sure if other authorized dealers offer this but the ABT salesperson also provided me with their in house Denon tech support number. They supposedly support all their receivers for the life of the product so that may come in handy in the future.

Hope this helps and I can't wait for my receiver to get here! It gonna be a busy weekend!
post #823 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErn78 View Post

Ordered from Abt.com

Hope this helps and I can't wait for my receiver to get here! It gonna be a busy weekend!

Wouldn't do it for me.
post #824 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

Wouldn't do it for me.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will work for some.
post #825 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 05:22 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsey3336 View Post

Hi all,
New to this stuff. Just bought a Denon avr 2310ci yesterday and I am having trouble getting sound from my panny db60. All I have hooked up is my pvr and the panny both HDMI and my 360 by component, I am getting sound from the 360 and the pvr but not the blu ray.

Most likely you have an incorrect audio setting on your blu ray player. Turn Secondary Audio OFF if you have that setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmnigamerOmega View Post

Sadly, I can't try it out yet. The only speakers I have in the house right now are some fairly cheapy "multimedia speakers" that connect via RCA. Try as I might, I couldn't find any way for them to put out even a simple stereo signal from the receiver (at any audible volume, anyway).

You connected them to the VCR audio OUT jacks?

Quote:

What it also means is that if you try "experimenting" with the speaker settings and change them around and then back again, you have to run AUTO SETUP again.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #826 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 05:28 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDaddy14 View Post

Had troubles getting it going at first then had them all running fine tried to switch from HD cable to dvd both were running but as soon as I switched source directly on the reciever I lost both audio & video on everything & couldn't get it back. Is this have anything to do with this HDMI handshake I keep seeing on here?

Possibly. How did you get it back? By turning off the AVR and back on again? If it happens again, try Resetting the Microprocessor (see procedure in your manual).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #827 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 PM

Well, got the HD DVR working (Moto 7216 P1). Plugged it into all the HDMI ports on the back and it ended up working on the "DVD" one (HDMI-1).

Also in fooling around turns out the audio hum is on all the HDMI sources. When I had the DVR audio plugged in via a digital coax the hum wasn't there. It's really obvious when I choose my PS3 and it's sitting at the menu not spitting out any audio. Not sure what exactly the issue is.
post #828 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Holy crap! OK, those Advils are finally starting to kick in ...ya know batpig, your warning about Denon manuals aught to have some prominent skull & crossbones icons; were it not for the guides by you and others here there's no way in hell mine would be up and running now. Thank you.

My 2310 arrived and its functioning, but there's a couple problems I can't seem to find solutions for (not in the manual anyway!). I have my Oppo BDP plugged into HDMI #1, my cable box (SA8300-HD) connected to HDMI #3, and the TV-out HDMI running to my JVC:
  • Whenever I switch back to the cable a warning's on the screen (from the cable box) telling me that since I'm "connected via DVI" my TV won't accept the signal. But when I hit the button to close the warning, there's no problem; all channels display normally. I figured it was just a HDMI-handshake issue, but I've powered down both devices & unplugged the cable a couple times now. I even tried swapping the Oppo's HDMI cable, but no joy.
  • I'd prefer to simply have the cable box source (audio & video) pass-thru the 2310. The JVC's speakers are more than adequate for 99% of the broadcast programs we watch, and while the Denon's upscaling does improve the SD PQ a bit, but not enough to justify the higher utility bills.

Any help appreciated.

Just picked up the Underworld trilogy on BR; I'll post some opinions/impressions of the 2310 tomorrow.
post #829 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Update: I shut off the devices & had the HDMI's unplugged while typing my last reply, and that 'DVI warning' is gone. Either third time's a charm, or I didn't wait long enough in my earlier attempts.
post #830 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes View Post

Well, got the HD DVR working (Moto 7216 P1). Plugged it into all the HDMI ports on the back and it ended up working on the "DVD" one (HDMI-1).

Also in fooling around turns out the audio hum is on all the HDMI sources. When I had the DVR audio plugged in via a digital coax the hum wasn't there. It's really obvious when I choose my PS3 and it's sitting at the menu not spitting out any audio. Not sure what exactly the issue is.

Disconnect the coax (the cable company's cable) from the DVR and see if the hum is gone. They're usually not grounded correctly.
post #831 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their questions and answers in this forum. You all have been a big help in my choosing a 2310 for my new toy! The 6th ave coupon info didn't hurt either... :-)
post #832 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 08:10 PM

Well, I got home a little after 6 and began the unboxing and connections. Started the first measurement of the auto set-up around 7. Started to cook dinner, continue the measurements and eat. Got everything set-up by 8:30. Reprogrammed my Harmony 550 for the Denon AND the Panasonic BD60 by 10.

Good to go!

I love this new receiver.....it's like night and day compared to the old 2307.
post #833 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 PM

Now I know this is a Denon favored thread but the Onkyo thread isn't as active. I'm tossed up between the 2310 and the SR707. Assuming I can get them for the same price, +/- $50, which is the "better" receiver? The ONLY reason I haven't scooped up the 2310 already is the lack of preouts, which the 707 has. I like that the Denon has the better upscaling chip though. I don't need to add an amp now (Paradigm Studio 20s and CC470 up front) but I'm trying to think for the future.

Additionally, the reason I'm upgrading in the first place is my current receiver does not have HDMI and I wanted to connect my HTPC for 7.1LPCM.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Xbox Live GT: LatinoHeat161
post #834 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNSB View Post

Update: I shut off the devices & had the HDMI's unplugged while typing my last reply, and that 'DVI warning' is gone. Either third time's a charm, or I didn't wait long enough in my earlier attempts.

Check that: its still happening intermittently. Its not like the handshake problems I saw when I switched to HDMI in '07; with those the warning-box covered most of the screen, and the only fix was to power-down and unplug both ends of the cable. I'm using HDMI cables with various specs, so maybe that's where the problem lies.

I found a setting that toggles the audio output, but changing it caused both cable box & BDP to output thru the TV speakers. Is it possible to set each HDMI input/source independently with this receiver?
post #835 of 7247 Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 PM

I am in the process of upgrading the home theater setup already in place at my new home. I have a 400 disc DVD player hooked up directly to a SIM2 C3X DLP 1080i projector. I want to upgrade the projector to a JVC RS20 (1080p). I understand this projector has an Reon HQV chip built in for scaling and deinterlacing. I will also feed digital cable to the projector from a comcast box and probably buy a Oppo bluray player. I currently have a receiver that will only do audio only no video so I may buy a new receiver as well or an HDMI switch. My questions are:

1. Is the video processing in the JVC RS20 good enough for DVDs and sd tv or should I get an outboard video processor such as the DVDO Edge?
2. If an outboard video processor is needed, how does the new Denon AVR-2310CI with the same ABT chip as the DVDO Edge compare with the DVDO Edge in terms of video enhancement?

Thanks
post #836 of 7247 Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2andpj View Post

I am in the process of upgrading the home theater setup already in place at my new home. I have a 400 disc DVD player hooked up directly to a SIM2 C3X DLP 1080i projector. I want to upgrade the projector to a JVC RS20 (1080p). I understand this projector has an Reon HQV chip built in for scaling and deinterlacing. I will also feed digital cable to the projector from a comcast box and probably buy a Oppo bluray player. I currently have a receiver that will only do audio only no video so I may buy a new receiver as well or an HDMI switch. My questions are:

1. Is the video processing in the JVC RS20 good enough for DVDs and sd tv or should I get an outboard video processor such as the DVDO Edge?
2. If an outboard video processor is needed, how does the new Denon AVR-2310CI with the same ABT chip as the DVDO Edge compare with the DVDO Edge in terms of video enhancement?

Thanks

My 2310 is arriving this weekend and I will definitely do A/B on the Oppo upconverting verus source direct and the denon 2310 upconverting. They're both ABT2010 chip, so it will be interesting. It's been my experience that players generally win hands down (ie Onkyo 906 verus Onkyo DV HD805 with reon hqv xv).
post #837 of 7247 Old 08-27-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2andpj View Post

Thanks

The DVDO Edge is the same chip but the Edge implements all the features of the ABT. You can control all the video enhancement features as well as do extra stuff like zooming. If you get the RS20, it would be similar in quality so you might not bother with the Edge, but the Edge is debatably better than the HQV and allow you to fine tune it more.

Either way (if you get the Edge or RS20), you probably don't need to bother with turning on the Denon's processor and let it process (so you can get alll the overlay on-screen goodies) but not convert the video.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #838 of 7247 Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 AM

I dont want to break forum rules, but there has been quite a bit of discussion about this in the thread so I thought I would add my experience...

With all the talk about coupon codes, don't forget when shopping online to use Bing cash back. Electronics expo has 10% bing cash back on purchases.

Their coupon "employee" took $300 off MSRP and then Bing took 10% of that total. I was able to get the price of the 2310CI to around $490 with free ship late last night when searching.
post #839 of 7247 Old 08-27-2009, 07:08 AM

Liked: 11
I am supposed to be getting my 2310 tomorrow (I'm in Arizona) according to the ups tracking information, but it doesn't appear to be updating. The last update I have is that it arrived in Secaucus NJ (8/24) and I was wondering if this is this the case for any of the other 6ave.com orders?

I am excited to get this unit and tracking the shipments is making me a bit insane.
post #840 of 7247 Old 08-27-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdisu1 View Post

I dont want to break forum rules, but there has been quite a bit of discussion about this in the thread so I thought I would add my experience...

With all the talk about coupon codes, don't forget when shopping online to use Bing cash back. Electronics expo has 10% bing cash back on purchases.

Their coupon "employee" took $300 off MSRP and then Bing took 10% of that total. I was able to get the price of the 2310CI to around $490 with free ship late last night when searching.

This is making me insane....almost $200 hunj less than I spent last Thursday....and I thought I got a good deal.

Although, I ordered an openbox unit, but it looks like it was never opened. I'm wondering if Onecall says it's an open box to justify the lower cost.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page