Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #991 of 7245 Old 09-02-2009, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All

From the few pics of the back of the unit that I have seen the HDMI inputs seem to be labeled (i.e. cab/sat, blu/dvd, etc) Are these inputs labeled on the back of the receiver for some reason? I mean for example would something horrible happen if I connected my cable box to the blu/dvd HDMI input instead of the cab/sat input?

Also, I couldn't get a good pic of the speaker terminals. I was wondering if any of them are labeled for front height. I know on the Onkyos the rear surround are also labeled front height and there is some kind of speaker assignment you make to indicate whether the speakers are hight or rear surround; does the 2310 do the same thing or do you have to use the zone 1/2 for the prologic 2z speaker inputs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 7245 Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Hi and welcome,
Quote:

From the few pics of the back of the unit that I have seen the HDMI inputs seem to be labeled (i.e. cab/sat, blu/dvd, etc) Are these inputs labeled on the back of the receiver for some reason? I mean for example would something horrible happen if I connected my cable box to the blu/dvd HDMI input instead of the cab/sat input?

nope, the labels are arbitrary! assign them at will, lesson number one in the setup guide is "ignore the labels!" Please read through my setup guide as there is a lot of good info there:
http://batpigworld.com/setup.html

Quote:

Also, I couldn't get a good pic of the speaker terminals.

the best source for hi rez pics is the Denon product page:
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5011.asp

you can also download the manual there and zoom in on the PDF, because that's all vector graphics it will not get pixelated when you zoom in and you can read tiny labels.

Quote:

I was wondering if any of them are labeled for front height.

the way 7.1 Denons work is there are seven binding posts (neglecting front a/b), your standard 5.1 (L/C/R and Surr L/R) which are locked in, and then one pair of "amp assign" binding posts. So you have to decide initially what you want to do with those last two amps -- power zone 2, run surround backs, or run front heights. Once you pick, you run Audyssey and are set with those 7 speakers, and if you want to switch configurations (e.g. changing from 7.1 to 5.1+height) you would have to re-run Audyssey.

on Onkyo's, they give you extra binding posts. The normal "5.1" is still locked in and tied to 5 amps, but there are several different binding posts which are all connected to one pair of amps. For example, there may be a pair of "surr.back" posts, a pair of "height" posts, and a pair of "zone 2" posts. So you could theoretically connect 11 speakers at once, but you only get to use seven at one time (there are only seven amps, six of those speaker posts are only connected to two channels and it's switched internally). So on older (pre PLIIz) Onkyos, you could switch on the fly between 7.1 and 5.1+2 (when you turn on Zone 2, the rear surrounds turn off and the power switches to the two Zone 2 speakers). On newer models you can switch between various 7.1 setups (5.1+wide, 5.1+height, 7.1 standard, 5.1+zone 2) on the fly if you feel like connecting that many speakers at once.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #993 of 7245 Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 PM

I really do think that I am starting to hate my AVR 890.

All it seems be doing is having HDMI handshake problems with everything.

This is what my inputs are.

Marantz DVD player- HDMI
PS3 HDMI
Topfield PVR HDMI
Popcorn Hour HDMI.

The HDMI output goes to a HDMI splitter (KORDZ- from clink.com).

One of the splitter out puts goes to the projector and the other goes to a Smasung LCD TV.

On the splitter it has 3 lights one for each output and one for a input. So I know when the amp is outputting a HDMI signal. When the TV is on it always seems to work fine. If I turn the PJ on after the TV it seems to work fine while the TV is on and it will work fine until the the TV is turned off and the input is changed on the amp. Most of the time. soemtimes is goes blank and looses signal.

For example with the PS3 there will be audio through to amp and sound will come out of the speakers but no picture out put to the PJ. If I turn the TV on again sometimes it comes on, sometimes it doesnt. The TV is not 1080p and the PJ is.

The popcorn hour is the worst, I can get pictuyre through HDMI until I start to play a movie then it all cuts out. I kept on fiddling and got it to play once but when I stopped the movie it cut out and lost all output.

I have tried to use a component cable with the the popcorn hour to the 890 and this was dpoing the same thing.

I have tested the HDMI inputs and believe that they are all ok and the Devices HDMI outputs are ok too.

I am really getting sick of turning things on and off to try and get them to talk to each other properly.

Before this I had a Marantz SR6001 and it worked perfectly all the time.

To me this looks like it is something sily is happening with the handshake part.

I am really thinking of selling it now I have had enough.

Any suggestions pls?????

I am thinking it also might be a 1080i converting to p signal issue?

Thanks Sten.
post #994 of 7245 Old 09-03-2009, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sten View Post

I really do think that I am starting to hate my AVR 890.

All it seems be doing is having HDMI handshake problems with everything.

This is what my inputs are.

Marantz DVD player- HDMI
PS3 HDMI
Topfield PVR HDMI
Popcorn Hour HDMI.

The HDMI output goes to a HDMI splitter (KORDZ- from clink.com).

One of the splitter out puts goes to the projector and the other goes to a Smasung LCD TV.

On the splitter it has 3 lights one for each output and one for a input. So I know when the amp is outputting a HDMI signal. When the TV is on it always seems to work fine. If I turn the PJ on after the TV it seems to work fine while the TV is on and it will work fine until the the TV is turned off and the input is changed on the amp. Most of the time. soemtimes is goes blank and looses signal.

For example with the PS3 there will be audio through to amp and sound will come out of the speakers but no picture out put to the PJ. If I turn the TV on again sometimes it comes on, sometimes it doesnt. The TV is not 1080p and the PJ is.

The popcorn hour is the worst, I can get pictuyre through HDMI until I start to play a movie then it all cuts out. I kept on fiddling and got it to play once but when I stopped the movie it cut out and lost all output.

I have tried to use a component cable with the the popcorn hour to the 890 and this was dpoing the same thing.

I have tested the HDMI inputs and believe that they are all ok and the Devices HDMI outputs are ok too.

I am really getting sick of turning things on and off to try and get them to talk to each other properly.

Before this I had a Marantz SR6001 and it worked perfectly all the time.

To me this looks like it is something sily is happening with the handshake part.

I am really thinking of selling it now I have had enough.

Any suggestions pls?????

I am thinking it also might be a 1080i converting to p signal issue?

Thanks Sten.

Have you tried bypassing your splitter?
It may be the cause of your problem.
post #995 of 7245 Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

990 is only 2-zone, the 3310CI is 3-zone.

both models will take a digital audio signal to Zone 2/3 but ONLY if it is 2.0 PCM via SPDIF. So you still can't run HDMI audio to multizone (this is a limitation of HDMI copyright crap), but you can output to multizone from optical/coax... but the 2.0 PCM limitation (e.g. it will not downmix 5.1 DD) still means that it is not 100% functional for a setup like you are proposing.

Thanks for the swift, detailed response.

For those devices that lack an (extra) analog port i.e. Mac Mini, I can take in the audio over optical, however to play over Zone 2, the audio must be in 2.0 PCM. This means the OS/application (i.e. Boxee, Perian) must be configured to output PCM 2.0. I believe Boxee does this based on source - i.e. internet radio, but I'd have to verify.

What is the lowest Denon model that will allow digital audio to be downmixed and played over Zone 2? Or, is there a similarly-equipped respected model from another manufacturer that performs this function?
post #996 of 7245 Old 09-03-2009, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I think all "higher-end" Denons function this way with respect to digital audio, I don't know of any model that will do a 5.1 > 2.0 downmix for Zone 2....

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #997 of 7245 Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Help please! Not sure if this matters much. Last nite I was changing cables and the green component cable socket clip, which holds just the color identifier clip, came off the Denon when I pulled the cable. It does go back in but not as secure as before. The DVD player via component on the Denon shows okay though. Do I need to get the Denon changed?
post #998 of 7245 Old 09-03-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
So I was watching a Bluray disc the other night (HDMI2) and, midway through, the 2310 suddenly changed to my HD-DVD input (HDMI1). I had touched neither my Harmony nor the Denon's remote. While finishing up this disc last night, the same thing happened.

I noticed on both occasions that right around these times, my HTPC (HDMI5) had gone into its timed standby. I looked through the Denon's settings and saw that the HDMI Control was set to ON (must have changed that from the default OFF earlier on -- don't know why, as I don't need it) and I'm pretty sure the input setting was on "Last." I've since disabled the HDMI control and haven't been able to reproduce this weird occurance. Could this have possibly been the problem? Or are there gremlins at work here?
post #999 of 7245 Old 09-03-2009, 05:10 PM

excuse my ignorance and lazyness but i have a question. i have my cable box hooked up via HDMI to the receiver and HDMI to the tv which works great. every once in a while i'd like the ability to watch tv but play the radio out my main speakers. meaning, i don't want to listen to whatever is playing on the tv but instead listen to the radio. is this possible and if so, how???
post #1000 of 7245 Old 09-03-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

5th question in the FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1001 of 7245 Old 09-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:

5th question in the FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

thank you for that and the subsequent disappointment. sigh...
post #1002 of 7245 Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 PM

I just ordered my 2310 from 6ave.com! For anyone that missed out on the deal last week, I just got mine for $550 using the Name Your Price deal that's going on now. Anyone want to try less?

This will be replacing my ancient AVR-3802, which has served me very well for almost 10 years now. It will be nice to finally have HDMI switching to go along with my PS3, HD Tivo and Panasonic TH-58PZ800U. Speakers are 6 Anthony Gallo A'Divas and an Energy ES-8 sub.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the improvement that Audyssey can make in my room. I will be reporting back here when it arrives.

Time to start reading this thread from the start.
post #1003 of 7245 Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashclash View Post

yeah, it's a big bummer. that is actually not Denon's fault, it is a limitation of HDMI copyright restrictions, you aren't allowed to mix the audio or video stream from HDMI with other sources. very annoying....

it is the major reason (along with avoiding "handshake" problems) that I have my cable box hooked up with component video and NOT hdmi.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1004 of 7245 Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 PM

Hey guys,

I have a 2310 and it's been working great for over a couple months now.

I have:
- ShawHDPVR using HDMI --> 2310
- PS3 using HDMI --> 2310
2310 using HDMI --> Samsung LCD TV

All of a sudden, today I can't get video to play through my 2310.
(If I connect the Shaw or the PS3 directly to the TV unsing HDMI , they work).

I reset the microprocessor, but still there is no video going to the TV - not even to run auddessey/configure the speakers!! I can't seem to get the Menu Setup working through the remote and 2310 screen, either.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to get my 2310 working again??

Thanks
-=Derek=-
post #1005 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 01:48 AM

I am about to upgrade my AVR-1804 (old old old) to the AVR-2310. I was wondering where to purchase it.
I just want to know if there is an advantage to pay a little more at Best Buy, and have the unit now, or save a little money and buy online?
Also, is there a difference with the recievers, between the online and B&M?

Lyle
post #1006 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 03:22 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashclash View Post

Another work around ... if you have a set of wireless headphones, you can connect them to the VCR OUT jacks and assign the TUNER to VCR OUT. That way you don't have to make any adjustments in the main zone settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlyle View Post

I am about to upgrade my AVR-1804 (old old old) to the AVR-2310. I was wondering where to purchase it.
I just want to know if there is an advantage to pay a little more at Best Buy, and have the unit now, or save a little money and buy online?
Also, is there a difference with the recievers, between the online and B&M?

Lyle

Although buying on line will generally save some $$$, some folks like the benefit of buying from a B&M as you can swap out the AVR at no additional cost should you have any problems. If you review this thread the past couple weeks or so you will see several on line authorized vendors that are being used if you choose to go that route. There are a few differences in the 890 vs. the 2310 (noted in post #1 at the beginning of this thread) although both models can generally be purchased either on line or from a B&M.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1007 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

990 is only 2-zone, the 3310CI is 3-zone.

both models will take a digital audio signal to Zone 2/3 but ONLY if it is 2.0 PCM via SPDIF. So you still can't run HDMI audio to multizone (this is a limitation of HDMI copyright crap), but you can output to multizone from optical/coax... but the 2.0 PCM limitation (e.g. it will not downmix 5.1 DD) still means that it is not 100% functional for a setup like you are proposing.

So, the upper models will take a 2.0 PCM HDMI signal and output via SPDIF ?
If so, will it do 24 bit at 96 khz or is there a limit ?

Thanks.
post #1008 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 AM

I've got my 2310ci working great with my blu-ray player and htdv. I used the mic to do the auto set up, and have multieq and dyneq on (green light on the face). It is set to cinema, so that "PLIIx" is in effect, converting 5.1 signals to 7.1 for my Athena surround speakers (making use of my 2 rear/back speakers). I have a 700w 12" Infinity sub that - if let loose - shakes the earth below my living room.

Everything is set fine for blu-ray (and streaming video) viewing, but we've noticed that when watching TV (connected to my Sharp Aquos with an optical cable), the sub is too active, rumbling constantly when newscasters are talking, during otherwise quiet commercials, and so on. I find myself looking out the window to see if a large delivery truck has pulled up to the house.

Q: What is the best/simplest way to quiet the subwoofer for TV viewing, while leaving the settings as-is for blu-ray? I don't want to turn the sub down in all input modes, just for the TV input... I need a setting that is specific to each input, and will be remembered (I don't want to fiddle with settings each time I change inputs or turn the unit off/on).

Another Q: There's no HDMI 'out' on the TV to send its signal through the receiver, so the signal doesn't go through the receiver. To watch TV, we just choose the TV's own 'TV' mode. This means we can't view the 2310ci's setup menu when watching TV. Is there a good way/workaround to view the menu to change settings in TV input mode?

Thanks for your help,
Eric
post #1009 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Turn off dynamic EQ and see if the rumble goes away. If it does, use one of the cool new AUdyssey settings to reduce the boost.
post #1010 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 08:40 AM

Hello everyone, I am new to the 2310 and I have one coming in for my HT. This thread has been very useful and some of the big contributors (Batpig, jdsmoothie, etc) have been great. With that said, I do have a question myself:

I am wondering if the Audyssey on the 2310 can calibrate dual subwoofers? The Audyssey thread said that some receivers can. If not what do you suggest to get those subs balanced?
post #1011 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 AM

Love my new 2310CI, but having an intermitent problem between the receiver, the LCD and the SA 8300HD cable box when I power up (all connected via HDMI cables, passthrough setting on the cable box).

For some reason, the display "blinks" between the video and a blank screen until I flip to a non-HD station and then back again. Audio also cuts out. I don't think it's a handshake issue. Anyone else seeing this? Ideas?
post #1012 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think it's a handshake issue.

why not???? blinking video, audio cut-outs??

that is a very typical and long-standing problem with the SA8300HD, I have the exact same box and it did that with two different Panny plasmas. Switch to component video.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1013 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Welcome, Eric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertai View Post

I used the mic to do the auto set up, and have multieq and dyneq on (green light on the face).

FYI -- "green light" means that Dynamic Volume is engaged as well. If you just want Dynamic EQ on, the light should be red. See pg 51 of the manual for a cryptic explanation of this lighting system, and also an explanation of the Reference Offset that JHAz mentioned.

If you are listening with "green light" on, make sure you aren't still on the default "midnight" setting for Dynamic Volume, as this heavily restricts the dynamics of the content you are watching. Play with the three strength settings (day/eve/midnght) and find the "sweet spot" for various content.

BTW -- all Audyssey settings are SOURCE SPECIFIC so you can have things set up differently for, say, the cable box vs the DVD input vs the CD player.

Quote:

we've noticed that when watching TV (connected to my Sharp Aquos with an optical cable), the sub is too active, rumbling constantly when newscasters are talking, during otherwise quiet commercials, and so on.

if you haven't yet, you should read through my FAQ. In the middle of the Audyssey section there is a comprehensive discussion of "rumbly" bass and what to do about it -- it is a VERY common problem with cable TV (especially newscasts) because the TV shows are not mastered to a film reference, and often the studio monitoring systems where they are mixed do not have subwoofers and they don't realize they haven't filtered out the low freq. rumbles, wind noise, mic noise, etc.

Check out the Audyssey section, I explain in more detail how the "Reference Offset" works in theory:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

Quote:

Another Q: There's no HDMI 'out' on the TV to send its signal through the receiver, so the signal doesn't go through the receiver. To watch TV, we just choose the TV's own 'TV' mode. This means we can't view the 2310ci's setup menu when watching TV. Is there a good way/workaround to view the menu to change settings in TV input mode?

sounds like you are using the internal tuner of the TV, and not an external cable box? Then, no, there is no way to do what you are asking because the video cannot route through the receiver.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1014 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD575 View Post

I am wondering if the Audyssey on the 2310 can calibrate dual subwoofers? The Audyssey thread said that some receivers can. If not what do you suggest to get those subs balanced?

Only a few high-end receivers have the ability to do independent calibrations on multiple subwoofers. Audyssey also sells a standalone Sub EQ product which can independently calibrate dual subs.

However, the MultEQ in standard receivers will EQ multiple subs, it just can't do them independently. This may require a little work on your part to set them up properly prior to calibration. Ideally, the subs will be equidistant from the "sweet spot", and level matched (to each other). When you run Audyssey it will create a combined filter for the SW channel, which will be applied to both subs.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1015 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 11:09 AM

Component Socket

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help please! Not sure if this matters much. Last nite I was changing cables and the green component cable socket clip, which holds just the color identifier clip, came off the Denon when I pulled the cable. It does go back in but not as secure as before. The DVD player via component on the Denon shows okay though. Do I need to get the Denon changed? Also has any one tried this calibration disc? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
post #1016 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So, a week after reporting the bug, Denon called me and said there is no bug. According to them the receiver can properly decode dts hd ma 7.1 codecs bitstreamed from a bd player without issue.

I explained the apparent error using the aix test disc and they said they do not own that disc and would be happy to test if i mail it in to them. wow, denon just took the "most helpful" prize from onkyo's customer service!
post #1017 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no bug. An AIX employee showed up on the Oppo BD player thread on the 18th(!) and said that if you play the 7.1 track on a 5.1 system, the downmix criteria are set to make it as quiet as possible. It's decoding the HD content properly. No problem . . .
post #1018 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

There is no bug. An AIX employee showed up on the Oppo BD player thread on the 18th(!) and said that if you play the 7.1 track on a 5.1 system, the downmix criteria are set to make it as quiet as possible. It's decoding the HD content properly. No problem . . .

batpig and others have commented on the bug in the past week or so - are you sure there is not decoding bug?
post #1019 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

you can go look in the oppo thread or not. Or the other Denon threads. Batpig and at least one other member posted the Aug 18 Oppo post in one of the Denon threads.
post #1020 of 7245 Old 09-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Thanks Batpig!

Quote:

Only a few high-end receivers have the ability to do independent calibrations on multiple subwoofers. Audyssey also sells a standalone Sub EQ product which can independently calibrate dual subs.

However, the MultEQ in standard receivers will EQ multiple subs, it just can't do them independently. This may require a little work on your part to set them up properly prior to calibration. Ideally, the subs will be equidistant from the "sweet spot", and level matched (to each other). When you run Audyssey it will create a combined filter for the SW channel, which will be applied to both subs.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page