2Likes

post #91 of 7245 Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

volume differences among sources are very normal. one option you have is to use the three QUICK SELECT buttons to switch sources -- when you memorize these quick selects it remembers the volume level as well (please see the manual for more info on Quick Selects and what is memorized).

well you haven't even run Audyssey so I am assuming your speaker volumes are totally out of balance, don't pass judgement until you have at the minimum balanced speaker volumes.

wow, where have you been! Harmony baby!
Refurb deals righ tnow: Harmony 670 is $45 shipped from Amazon, 550 is $40 shipped.

Batpig, i checked the Harmony site and it says AVR 890 is not in their database, in that case will it work with the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7245 Old 07-09-2009, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
what did I just say eight posts before yours?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16796474

It doesn't matter what model number you use, they all use the same codes!!

If you want maximum control, just follow the link in sig -- all you have to do is call up Harmony tech support and ask them to copy my "AVR 3808CI" device profile from username "batpigworld" into your account.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #93 of 7245 Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow! I'd heard that the Denon user manuals were bad, but I never dreamed that it could be as bad as it is. Thankfully there is the Batbig setup guide!

However, with respect to color space the guide says "In general, just leave this on default (YCbCr) unless you specifically know you need RGB color." and therefore the RGB range setting is irrelevant. On the 890 I do not find a color space setting. Am I missing something? If not, what should RGB range be set to? Thanks.
post #94 of 7245 Old 07-09-2009, 08:18 PM

OK I got my 890 today from Amazon. I'm excited to get started using it.
I can't swap out with (avr 987) till Saturday morning to run Audyssey.
I also need to program my harmony 890 also, I guess I need to use 3808CI's commands as batpig suggested and go from there. I am really glad batpig started this thread to help all who are denon dummies and guides us to our ultimate of better understanding Denons avr's. My avr 890 already has miles on it. the shipping label shows it left Denon's warehouse in Carson, CA traveled to amazon's warehouse in Lewisberry,Pa then shipped to my work in Sandy,UT. It's also has 16 of 30 on the label
post #95 of 7245 Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 135
For those thats interested in the 2310, 6th ave has it for 25% off msrp.
post #96 of 7245 Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
However, with respect to color space the guide says "In general, just leave this on default (YCbCr) unless you specifically know you need RGB color." and therefore the RGB range setting is irrelevant. On the 890 I do not find a color space setting. Am I missing something? If not, what should RGB range be set to? Thanks.

the setting is still under HDMI SETUP, the same place where you turn HDMI Control on/off.

again, the advice is still "leave it at the default setting unless you have a specific reason not to".

Quote:
OK I got my 890 today from Amazon. I'm excited to get started using it.
I can't swap out with (avr 987) till Saturday morning to run Audyssey.
I also need to program my harmony 890 also

no need to reprogram the Harmony; as I have already said twice today in this thread, the harmony codes are the SAME for all Denon models. I am still using the Harmony profile from my old AVR 2105! I have just added commands when I needed them, either teaching them from the Denon remotes or copying them from online sources.

So, basically, just stick with your current, trusty AVR 987 device profile (so you don't have to re-setup all of your activities) and simply copy any missing codes you desire (e.g. Dynamic EQ/Volume discretes) from my database.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #97 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanation batpig!
post #98 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

For those thats interested in the 2310, 6th ave has it for 25% off msrp.

Is there a coupon code for this? It seems to be at list price on their sight.
post #99 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:

the setting is still under HDMI SETUP, the same place where you turn HDMI Control on/off.

Hmm, the only items I find under HDMI Setup are:

RGB Range
Auto Lip Sync
HDMI Audio Out
HDMI Control

Really all I'm looking for is any settings that let the video signal from my blu-ray player and Mac Mini pass through to the TV without change.
post #100 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiV View Post

Is there a coupon code for this? It seems to be at list price on their sight.

Yeah I would like to know also?
post #101 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiv View Post

is there a coupon code for this? It seems to be at list price on their sight.

aflden636
post #102 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Batpig and others:
I am just trying to get an idea of the relative comparison of what I might expect of the video processing of the 2310ci I am strongly considering...in comparison with my current 3808ci (in another site/home, so I am not "replacing" the 3808ci ). I have no problems w/ the 3808ci except what I consider "squirrely" remote/screen instructions.
Thanks very much for replies ! Great audio info on here, from you guys !
post #103 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 09:55 AM

Strangely, I got a reply from Logitech (Harmony) that they didn't want to give me the BatPigworld 3808 file. They guy said that, rather than do that, he wants me to call and spend a half hour on the phone with him, and he can get the 2310/890 fully supported. Eh...I'd rather just get the file and be done with it, but, I suppose I may call and see what he wants to try to accomplish.
post #104 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:

aflden636

Thanks JChin! Any idea how long that's good for? I'm on vacation next week and don't want a large ticket item sitting outside so long.
post #105 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Does it make any sense that my BR player volume level is quite low compared to other sources? I mean, I turned the volume up to about -15 and it wasn't uncomfortable (and I was turning it on the unit, so standing next to the speakers). In fact, the sound was distorting it was turned up so much, yet the actual volume wasn't a lot. If I had it anywhere even around -15 on say, my xbox, it would probably blow a wall of my house off. Now, I JUST got this receiver and haven't had time to run Audyssey yet...just plugged everything in and making sure it works first. I don't see how Aud will correct this though, since it seems like more of a volume by input thing. Strange though. It's a new Sony BR player connected through HDMI. I plan on trying out the feature I rad in the Denon manual where you can "amplify or reduce the volume setting by input"...which seems like it's a "background" volume/amplification setting, so, in theory, I could do something like set the DVD input to "+15" and then it may help correct this. I'm hoping it wouldn't just make it distorted in the same was as it was doing when I manually just cranked the volume.
Before anyone thinks...the problem isn't the speakers either...they are fairly serious units that I've never had distortion with no matter how loud...and like I said, the xbox sounds perfect.
post #106 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

first, run Audyssey to make sure everything is balanced.

then, make sure there are no "Dynamic Range Control" options enabled (either on the Blu Ray player or the Denon).

at that point, if you are still hearing bad distortion when turning it up loud there might be something wrong.... but don't pass judgement until you have everything set up completely.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #107 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

Batpig and others:
I am just trying to get an idea of the relative comparison of what I might expect of the video processing of the 2310ci I am strongly considering...in comparison with my current 3808ci (in another site/home, so I am not "replacing" the 3808ci ).

the 2310CI should have much better video processing than the 3808CI, as it has a powerful new Anchor Bay ABT-2010 scaler chip (as mentioned in the first post). This is the same chip used in the DVDO Edge scaler, Oppo BD-83 Blu-Ray player, and some flagship receivers. You should browse through the "09-10 model rumor thread" as much of the buzz was about the new video processing.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #108 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Fred, I'm a little confused as you originally asked where the RGB Range setting was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post

And then you yourself listed the options in the HDMI Setup menu that I pointed out, the first of which is RGB Range!:

Quote:

RGB Range
Auto Lip Sync
HDMI Audio Out
HDMI Control

Anyway, I see where the confusion lies as there WAS a separate "Color Space" setting on the '09 models but it looks like they removed that option as I guess it confused people, and wasn't really necessary as pretty much every standard video device is using component color space.

Notice that (pg 31 of the 2310CI manual) in the explanation of "RGB Range" it says specifically that "This setting is valid when using a TV equipped with a DVI terminal" -- because DVI inputs use RGB format. If you are using a typical HDMI-equipped display it is irrelevant.

So, in other words, my original advice still stands -- for most people with typical setups just DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! Just leave it at the default setting, it is only relevant in special situations where you are using an RGB monitor (i.e. with DVI inputs).

Quote:

Really all I'm looking for is any settings that let the video signal from my blu-ray player and Mac Mini pass through to the TV without change.

now, if you had just said that from the beginning! the HDMI setup part isn't really relevant to this -- video processing settings are set BY INPUT in the INPUT SETUP menu; that HDMI Setup menu is only for some global settings but do not affect the video processing.

If you want your video to pass through untouched over HDMI, just make sure the "i/p scaler" is set to OFF (see pg 38 of the manual for Video Settings). Again, you can set this separately for each input, so changes you make to, say, your Blu-Ray player will not affect the video processing for, say, the cable box.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #109 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:

aflden636

Thanks, I just pulled the trigger on this using that code. GREAT price w/ free shipping to boot. Now I have to explain this to the wife.....if I don't post in the next couple of days, send the Marines.
post #110 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:

...now, if you had just said that from the beginning!

My sincere apologies for the confusion. This is my first foray into the world of home theater in over ten years, and things have changed a lot in that time. I have a Pioneer 111-FD and an Oppo 83, and all of the different settings for color space and the like have me going around in circles. I appreciate having people like you who are willing to take the considerable time to help people like me. Thank you very much indeed!
post #111 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

no need to apologize I just like bustin' chops sometimes

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #112 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Page 10 of the manual states:

The resolution of the video signal input to the AVR2310's HDMI terminal is the resolution set at "Resolution" (page 38)

Does this mean that HDMI signals are not converted at all? That is, if I pass a 480i signal via HDMI it will be passed to my display as 480i and ignore the output resolution setting? Or is this just a confusing way to say it will be converted?

Also, the example of the OSD status display (on p. 10) when you change inputs is a little odd. Does it show the input name as well as the audio input signal type (doesn't seem to show these in the example screenshot)?

Thanks.
post #113 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

the 2310CI should have much better video processing than the 3808CI, as it has a powerful new Anchor Bay ABT-2010 scaler chip (as mentioned in the first post). This is the same chip used in the DVDO Edge scaler, Oppo BD-83 Blu-Ray player, and some flagship receivers. You should browse through the "09-10 model rumor thread" as much of the buzz was about the new video processing.

THANKS ! I will order today. I will check w/ AVS and see if they sell/send 'em.
post #114 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Page 10 of the manual states:

The resolution of the video signal input to the AVR2310's HDMI terminal is the resolution set at "Resolution" (page 38)

Does this mean that HDMI signals are not converted at all? That is, if I pass a 480i signal via HDMI it will be passed to my display as 480i and ignore the output resolution setting? Or is this just a confusing way to say it will be converted?

What it's saying is that YOU CHOOSE the resolution that you want HDMI signals converted to in the "Resolution" menu, and then refers you to the page in manual where it explains the Video Options (again, set by input as I just explained a few posts ago).

The "i/p scaler" setting is where you set video processing on/off and what resolution you want.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #115 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post

Strangely, I got a reply from Logitech (Harmony) that they didn't want to give me the BatPigworld 3808 file. They guy said that, rather than do that, he wants me to call and spend a half hour on the phone with him, and he can get the 2310/890 fully supported. Eh...I'd rather just get the file and be done with it, but, I suppose I may call and see what he wants to try to accomplish.

I nominate batpig to make this phone call on behalf of all of us. Seems like a great opportunity to make sure they set things up right for all of us.
post #116 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 11:38 AM

JChin:

Thanks for the 6th Ave info.

I went online and found that the coupon code is in fact good for a $213 discount on the 2310 with free UPS ground.

I then called 6th Ave for more info. He didn't know how long the coupon would be good for. He asked that anyone who wants to order a 2310 from them, do so by calling instead of ordering online.

Why ??? Because quote: "It will help all of us out here. We get a commission when you place an order by calling instead of ordering online."

By all means, if your thinking about ordering a 2310 from 6th Ave, call. We all need a paycheck. Especially in this economy.

This 6th Ave deal is better then the one that I got from Abt. So I called Abt a few minutes ago, and they immediately gave me a $64 credit on my card.

Why such a HUGE discount on a newly released Denon ???

It's the economy. I'm glad that my paycheck doesn't depend on someone buying a receiver from me.
post #117 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Is the lack of THX certification in the 2310/3310 compensated for in any of the existing DSP modes ? Would the Audessey enhancements compensate for the THX processing ?
post #118 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

please with the double post....

considering that Tomlinson Holman, the "TH" in THX, is the co-founder of Audyssey I think you are cool.

besides, THX certification (for amps and such) is really a separate issue than Audyssey processing.

For the THX processing bits, they have been largely superceded by the newer Audyssey offerings. For example, no need for "RE-EQ" because Audyssey MultEQ measures and sets the proper high freq. roll-off..... no need for "Loudness Plus" because Dynamic EQ is newer and better... etc....

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #119 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

JChin:

Thanks for the 6th Ave info.

I went online and found that the coupon code is in fact good for a $213 discount on the 2310 with free UPS ground.

I then called 6th Ave for more info. He didn't know how long the coupon would be good for. He asked that anyone who wants to order a 2310 from them, do so by calling instead of ordering online.

Why ??? Because quote: "It will help all of us out here. We get a commission when you place an order by calling instead of ordering online."

By all means, if your thinking about ordering a 2310 from 6th Ave, call. We all need a paycheck. Especially in this economy.

This 6th Ave deal is better then the one that I got from Abt. So I called Abt a few minutes ago, and they immediately gave me a $64 credit on my card.

Why such a HUGE discount on a newly released Denon ???

It's the economy. I'm glad that my paycheck doesn't depend on someone buying a receiver from me.

I did the same thing. I got mine for $700 at ABT and they just refunded me the difference.
post #120 of 7245 Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM

I was hoping for an empirical assessment of the differences or missing benefits between THX and Audessey DSP's. However, you seem to suggest that current Audessey modes are perhaps superior to some of the coveted THX modes seen in 2008. Can owners of equipment using either technology confirm this ?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page