Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob222 View Post

I also have a nano. Let's try to narrow this down a bit. Do you see the GUI menu for ANY inputs? For example if you go to tuner and hit menu, does info appear on the TV screen?

Yes I see the GUI for all other funtions and for setting up speakers, input, etc. When I switch to IPOD I do not see the message "OK to Disconnect " underneath DENON. I am thinking I have a bad cable, bad Dock or bad input on receiver. I am going to pick up another S-video cable on my way home from work tonight and try that. I also noticed that screen on IPOD lights up for a short time after turning off reciever so there is some kind of communication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstandke View Post

Yes I see the GUI for all other funtions and for setting up speakers, input, etc. When I switch to IPOD I do not see the message "OK to Disconnect " underneath DENON. I am thinking I have a bad cable, bad Dock or bad input on receiver. I am going to pick up another S-video cable on my way home from work tonight and try that. I also noticed that screen on IPOD lights up for a short time after turning off reciever so there is some kind of communication.

It sounds like it may be a bad dock. Can you get the front display on the receiver to toggle between remote and browse modes? Hold the search button down for a few seconds. It should change from one mode to the other. If the Ipod will not respond in remote mode then that would eliminate the S video cable as a cause.
post #1383 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:

It sounds like it may be a bad dock. Can you get the front display on the receiver to toggle between remote and browse modes? Hold the search button down for a few seconds. It should change from one mode to the other. If the Ipod will not respond in remote mode then that would eliminate the S video cable as a cause.

I get nothing on TV display when I hold search button. I will check receiver display tonight.
post #1384 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I'm confused -- the Cinema and Music buttons are what you are looking for but apparently you already know about them. Can you explain more clearly what it is you want to do that the Std/Cinema/Music buttons don't let you?

Trust me, you're not as confused as I am. OK, I'll try to clear it up.

For 2-channel input: if I go into the MENU > ... > Surround Parameter, I can toggle among the various modes: ProLogic, Cinema, Music, Games. Leaving the setting on ProLogic and exiting MENU, the front display will read "Dolby Pro Logic". Hitting the STD button will toggle between Dolby Pro Logic and NEO 6 Cinema/Music. If I hit the Cinema (or Music) button, the display now reads Dolby PL II Cinema (or Music), and hitting it repeatedly toggles between that and Neo 6. Going back to the STD button doesn't give me simply Pro Logic any longer; I'm still toggling between Dolby PL II Cinema (or Music) and Neo 6.

So my question is: how does one choose simply Dolby Pro Logic again without going back in the MENU and selecting it from the Surround Parameter settings? (As a side note, it appears the only way to select Games is to also go into the MENU.)
post #1385 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:

I get nothing on TV display when I hold search button. I will check receiver display tonight.

Also one other thing to check. When using the Ipod input (regardless of remote or browse mode), on the remote hit menu. If that comes up on the TV screen scroll to information and hit enter. Then hit status. Report back.
post #1386 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Also one other thing to check. When using the Ipod input (regardless of remote or browse mode), on the remote hit menu. If that comes up on the TV screen scroll to information and hit enter. Then hit status. Report back.

I will check that and get back to you tomorrow.
Thanks
post #1387 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:

I will check that and get back to you tomorrow.
Thanks

You're welcome. Main things we're looking for here:
Select source-Ipod.
Input mode-analog.
Ipod dock-Assign.
post #1388 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

For 2-channel input: if I go into the MENU > ... > Surround Parameter, I can toggle among the various modes: ProLogic, Cinema, Music, Games. Leaving the setting on ProLogic and exiting MENU, the front display will read "Dolby Pro Logic". Hitting the STD button will toggle between Dolby Pro Logic and NEO 6 Cinema/Music. If I hit the Cinema (or Music) button, the display now reads Dolby PL II Cinema (or Music), and hitting it repeatedly toggles between that and Neo 6. Going back to the STD button doesn't give me simply Pro Logic any longer; I'm still toggling between Dolby PL II Cinema (or Music) and Neo 6.

So my question is: how does one choose simply Dolby Pro Logic again without going back in the MENU and selecting it from the Surround Parameter settings? (As a side note, it appears the only way to select Games is to also go into the MENU.)

That's what I thought you meant. batpig doesn't know these receivers very well and often needs more explanation.

I was wondering why you would want to use "simply Pro Logic," however. You're right though that that's the only way to get back to it (and Game mode like you said), AFAIK, is from the menu. Maybe there's a discrete code for these if you're using something like a Harmony remote...?

Anyway, about Pro Logic -- do you know that Pro Logic II Cinema is better in every way? I guess plain Pro Logic is just there for "old school" reasons, or for comparison. PLII improves on the limits of original Pro Logic: bandwidth-limited, mono surround channel, as well as overall channel separation and steering.
post #1389 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Select source-Ipod.
Input mode-analog.
Ipod dock-Assign.

I know where to Assign Ipod dock. Not sure what you mean by Input mode - analog
post #1390 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR View Post

That's what I thought you meant. batpig doesn't know these receivers very well and often needs more explanation.

I was wondering why you would want to use "simply Pro Logic," however. You're right though that that's the only way to get back to it (and Game mode like you said), AFAIK, is from the menu. Maybe there's a discrete code for these if you're using something like a Harmony remote...?

Anyway, about Pro Logic -- do you know that Pro Logic II Cinema is better in every way? I guess plain Pro Logic is just there for "old school" reasons, or for comparison. PLII improves on the limits of original Pro Logic: bandwidth-limited, mono surround channel, as well as overall channel separation and steering.

Actually, I don't prefer the generic Pro Logic -- I always opt for Cinema. I just thought I was missing a setting somewhere that was preventing my going back to it via the remote (IIRC, you could do that on my old Yamaha 2600 with the "Standard" button); clearly, I had too much free time yesterday to dwell on this.

Thanks for confirming.
post #1391 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:

I know where to Assign Ipod dock. Not sure what you mean by Input mode - analog

It should default to analog for the Ipod input. This is so it will get it's signal from the red and white analog cable coming from the Ipod dock. I just want to make sure it's not trying to read a digital input signal that isn't there.

Also you can check this. Menu > manual setup > option setup > GUI > Ipod. Make sure Ipod is set to "10 sec", "30 sec" or "always". Anything but "off".
post #1392 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 AM

Have a blu-ray question.

When I set the LG BD390 blu-ray to "send" the audio to my 2310 the blue "HD Audio" lights up (also the DTS:HD lights up) but I get no sound only video.

If i change the blu-ray to decode the audio, I get both sound and video.

Any thoughts on what I need to change in the 2310's set-up ?
post #1393 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 09:34 AM

patsman Im getting the same thing on my JVC bluray and Ive seen someone else on the 3310 forum having the same problem with his 390
has to be a handshake problem with the 2310 and bluray player

both the LG and JVC have the same O.S.
post #1394 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 AM

Does the 2310 Monitor Outputs all output at simultaneously. I have a tivo setup right now through HDMI into my 2310, and HDMI out to my Pioneer Plasma, but would like to see if I can send that video feed out on composite or s video to my bedroom tv that is not HD capable. I know that I can hook up the tivo with composite as well as the HDMI, and apparently the Tivo HD sends video out on all of its outputs at the same time.

I have read batpig's site a couple of time and I know there is a priority for the HDMI over the composite for the inputs, but how about for the outputs, will the 2310 send the HDMI feed out over HDMI, and the composite feed out over composite?

Is there a way to set this up to do this? I guess I am trying to set up a poor-man's zone 2 video, but I only watch 1 tv at any given time. Hope this isn't too confusing, thanks for the help!
post #1395 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwood View Post

patsman Im getting the same thing on my JVC bluray and Ive seen someone else on the 3310 forum having the same problem with his 390
has to be a handshake problem with the 2310 and bluray player

both the LG and JVC have the same O.S.

That would be me; the only difference is I have 3310. I tried to exchange BD390 for the different one, and the second one does the same thing. What's confusing is I also have a Denon 1610 and BD390 bitstreams just fine to it; on the other hand I also have a Panasonic BD55 and LG BH200, and both bitstream fine to 3310. So it looks to me that there is some kind of compatibility issue between LG BD390 and Denon 2310/3310. I will try to contact both LG and Denon and suggest that everyone who has the same problem will do the same. Unfortunately I dont have much hope that this will be resolved. I am sure that LG and Denon will just start pointing fingers at each other;
however it definitely won't be fixed if we dont try.
post #1396 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dy-no-mite View Post

Does the 2310 Monitor Outputs all output at simultaneously. I have a tivo setup right now through HDMI into my 2310, and HDMI out to my Pioneer Plasma, but would like to see if I can send that video feed out on composite or s video to my bedroom tv that is not HD capable. I know that I can hook up the tivo with composite as well as the HDMI, and apparently the Tivo HD sends video out on all of its outputs at the same time.

as far as I know the monitor outputs are all active at the same time; the only restriction of course is that there is no "downconversion" so if you want to see something from the composite video output you need a composite/s-video video input.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1397 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Actually, I don't prefer the generic Pro Logic -- I always opt for Cinema. I just thought I was missing a setting somewhere that was preventing my going back to it via the remote (IIRC, you could do that on my old Yamaha 2600 with the "Standard" button); clearly, I had too much free time yesterday to dwell on this.

Thanks for confirming.

Looks like Dr.P straightened you out; I didn't understand initially that you were looking for a "discrete" access button to plain vanilla "Pro Logic" and not PLII.

The way the "Standard" button works with 2-ch sources is that it toggles between the LAST selected Pro Logic and DTS Neo mode. So you could toggle between PLII Cinema and DTS Music, or Pro Logic and DTS Cinema, or PLII Music and DTS Music... whichever two you want, it just switches back and forth between the most recent selections for DPL vs DTS Neo.

The Music button toggles between the two "Music" options, and the Cinema mode toggles between the two "Cinema" options.

There is NO direct remote access to "plain" Pro Logic. I think this is intentional as they are sort of tacitly discouraging you from using that outdated technology.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1398 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 AM

Morda,
I was going to purchase the LG390 till I saw your post about you having the same problem,looks like a great bluray player except for that problem,which Im having with the JVC
I let Denon LG and JVC know via email not that they are going to blame themselves for this issue
post #1399 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

When letting the PS3 do the decoding to LPCM, you won't getting any lights on the Denon, rather just the MULT CH IN as you noted. When set to bitstream, you have to select the HD Audio track on the BD itself (generally under the LANGUAGE heading). Although Dark Knight has a DD TrueHD track, the Die Hard movie only has DD 5.1.

Thanks. I see what you meant, warner bros. seems to default to dolby digital. I brought the screen up that shows what language the movie is in TrueHD,DD,etc and dark knight was playing in DD. I couldn't figure out how to change that over to TrueHD. How do you change that setting? I don't know how I did it or if it was automatic but the blue light lit up on the 2310 and it showed it was playing in TrueHD. I just would like to know how it did that.
post #1400 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 12:41 PM

I just replaced my older Denon with the 2310 a week ago and I've finished a basic setup (performed Audyssey setup, renamed inputs, set preferred inputs).
I went to record a program last night and realized I never looked for a record-out selector or something similar. I checked the manual, and didn't find anything (searched this thread too...).
I realize the limitations of mixed signal types, but I was just trying to record a Y/C input to the Y/C "DVR" output. I figured perhaps there was no selection per se, and that maybe it followed the main source as the monitor would, but a quick recording while the source input was up didn't work. I did quickly confirm cable routing and the correct line input selection on the DVD recorder itself. Am I missing something easy (before digging out test sources and monitors and cables)?
post #1401 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Hi

Got my 2310 today and I think its brilliant

One thing though, Im not sure if this is a problem but Ive noticed when I turn ON Dynamic Volume that my Master Volume OSD goes away and it doesnt come back when I turn OFF Dynamic Volume.

I can only get my Volume OSD to come back by switching source or changing dsp modes, is this a bug?
post #1402 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

There is NO direct remote access to "plain" Pro Logic. I think this is intentional as they are sort of tacitly discouraging you from using that outdated technology.

Seems that way, huh? OK, I have it sorted out now. Thanks.
post #1403 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 07:49 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedrgr View Post

Thanks. I see what you meant, warner bros. seems to default to dolby digital. I brought the screen up that shows what language the movie is in TrueHD,DD,etc and dark knight was playing in DD. I couldn't figure out how to change that over to TrueHD. How do you change that setting? I don't know how I did it or if it was automatic but the blue light lit up on the 2310 and it showed it was playing in TrueHD. I just would like to know how it did that.

You select it by moving (arrowing over) the "highlight" bar over to the LANGUAGE you wish to use as you apparently did do in fact to get the HD Audio light to display.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1404 of 7220 Old 09-28-2009, 11:29 PM

I just bought the Denon 2310CI and got it connected. I have an XBOX 360 going to the receiver in the DVD port and the monitor hooked up (HDMI) to an input on my Pioneer PRO-151FD. I can't get the menu to come up at all nor any video to come up over hdmi. The audio is detecting as Dolby Digital and I can hear the menu structure for the XBOX over the speakers. I have tried disconnecting all components, switching inputs, switching all the cables. I can get the monitor menu to come up hooking up through composite, but for the life of me I cannot get the menu to come up under HDMI while the receiver is on, NOR..... Can I get any video to pass through the receiver at all. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Is the receiver defective?

Thanks in advance
post #1405 of 7220 Old 09-29-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Select source-Ipod.
Input mode-analog.
Ipod dock-Assign.

Problem solved. I unplugged and plugged cables for Ipod for the third time and everything works. Bad connection someplace. Back of cabinet now has 4 screws instead of twenty. What a pain in as$.

Thanks for all of your help.
post #1406 of 7220 Old 09-29-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Problem solved. I unplugged and plugged cables for Ipod for the third time and everything works. Bad connection someplace. Back of cabinet now has 4 screws instead of twenty. What a pain in as$.

Thanks for all of your help.

You're welcome. I'm glad you got it working. By the way I'm having a small problem with mine. Sometimes when I shuffle the songs in browse mode, the display will show not change. It will continue to show the song that just finished. It happens every once in a while. When it gets to a third song the display will eventually catch up. It's probably the ipod but I'm not sure. I've been meaning to call Denon about it. If you every see yours do that please let me know. Thanks.
post #1407 of 7220 Old 09-29-2009, 07:10 AM

I will keep an eye on it and let you know. By the way is it bad to leave the screen on always with an LCD TV.
post #1408 of 7220 Old 09-29-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattont View Post

I just bought the Denon 2310CI and got it connected. I have an XBOX 360 going to the receiver in the DVD port and the monitor hooked up (HDMI) to an input on my Pioneer PRO-151FD. I can't get the menu to come up at all nor any video to come up over hdmi. The audio is detecting as Dolby Digital and I can hear the menu structure for the XBOX over the speakers. I have tried disconnecting all components, switching inputs, switching all the cables. I can get the monitor menu to come up hooking up through composite, but for the life of me I cannot get the menu to come up under HDMI while the receiver is on, NOR..... Can I get any video to pass through the receiver at all. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Is the receiver defective?

Thanks in advance

So since I work at BB I pulled an 890 off display and connected it to HDMI and the menu came right up......... So I will be returning my 2310 for a new one.
post #1409 of 7220 Old 09-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I will keep an eye on it and let you know. By the way is it bad to leave the screen on always with an LCD TV.

I don't know about that. I guess you can use the screen saver options. By the are we talking about the ASD11R? That's the one I have. I called Denon this morning. They weren't sure but suggested it sounds like the dock might be causing my problem. So today I exchanged the dock. Well the new one does the same thing with 2 different Ipods. Honestly I'm thinking maybe I should have bought the ASD-3N which is a better model but Best Buy doesn't carry it.
post #1410 of 7220 Old 09-29-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:

I don't know about that. I guess you can use the screen saver options. By the are we talking about the ASD11R? That's the one I have. I called Denon this morning. They weren't sure but suggested it sounds like the dock might be causing my problem. So today I exchanged the dock. Well the new one does the same thing with 2 different Ipods. Honestly I'm thinking maybe I should have bought the ASD-3N which is a better model but Best Buy doesn't carry it.

Yes that is the one that I have. I wish I would have done a little more research. That model seems interesting if it does what it is suppose to.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page