- MANUAL: http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-890-OM-E_003.pdf
- PRODUCT SHEET: http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-890_Lit526.pdf

DENON AVR 2310CI

- MANUAL: http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-2310CI-OM-E_000A.pdf
- PRODUCT SHEET: http://batpigworld.com/AVR-2310CI_Lit608.pdf

AVR 2310CI ($849) / AVR 890 ($799) Feature Summary:

- 7.1 channels (105W x 7) of built-in amplification
- full HD audio support including Dolby TrueHD + DTS-MA decoding
- 5 HDMI 1.3a inputs, 2 component video inputs (60 MHz bandwidth)
- 2 optical / 2 coaxial digital audio inputs on rear, 1 optical input on the front
- Seven fully assignable video source "names" (TV, CBL/SAT, DVD, HDP, DVR, VCR, V-AUX)
- Dedicated PHONO input with phono preamp stage
- Full Audyssey suite (MultEQ + Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume) with adjustable reference level for Dynamic EQ
- Dolby Pro Logic IIz
- New ABT-2010 video processor with:
--- full color HD GUI (overlays on all sources)
--- full scaling for all sources up to 1080p (60 or 24) selectable by input
--- picture calibration controls (including noise reduction and "enhancer") selectable by input

NOTE: FIRMWARE UPDATE FIX IS NOW AVAILABLE! This update should fix the bitstream audio issues with Samsung and LG Blu-Ray Players, and also addresses bugs with HDMI-CEC and Multizone.
see this post for more info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17512496

------------------------------------

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q. What is the difference between the three-digit models (e.g. AVR 890) and the four-digit models (e.g. AVR 2310)?

A: Essentially, NOTHING. Denon puts out two parallel receiver lineups, with four-digit and three-digit model numbers. The four-digit models are generally sold by high end stereo shops and custom installers, and the three-digit models are the "consumer" version sold in retail outlets like Circuit City and Fry's.

However, there is ZERO difference in terms of power, specs, sound quality, build quality, etc. between the two lines. Denon has been doing this for years, it is exactly analagous to the Yamaha HTR and RX-V parallel receiver lines.

There will usually be one or two minor differences to differentiate the three-digit and four-digit models. There is typically a slight cosmetic difference between the two lines, and different remotes.

In the specific case of the 2310CI vs. 890, the only differences (besides the cosmetics) is:

1. the 2310CI has a second, Zone 2 remote in addition to the two-sided regular remote
2. the 2310CI adds "CI" features for integration into automated, custom integrated home systems: an RS-232 port (e.g. for Crestron/AMX 3rd-party control, as well as for loading firmware updates), assignable 12V trigger

In all other respects, the 2310 and 890 are IDENTICAL.

For more info, please see the Denon Model Numbers page at batpigworld:
http://batpigworld.com/models.html

Q. What do I gain from stepping up to the 2310/890 model as opposed to saving cash and just getting a 1910/790?

A: The major "step up" features of the 2310CI/890 are:

1. A 5th HDMI input

2. A slightly better amp section

3. A dedicate Phono input with pre-amp

4. usable S-video inputs (i.e. not just for the Denon ipod dock) on the rear, and front panel optical / s-video input

5. high-end ABT-2010 video processor with full color GUI, overlay over HDMI, HDMI>HDMI processing, and picture controls with brightness/contrast/hue/saturation and noise reduction settings which are memorized by input (allowing for independent source calibration even when running one HDMI cable to TV)

6. the 2310CI model (not the 890) will also include an RS-232 port, second smaller Zone 2 remote, and a 12V trigger output for custom integration ("CI") functionality.

Q. Should I buy the 2310CI/890 model or grab a great close-out deal on the 2809/989 from last year?

A: In simple terms:

2310/890 pros: 5 HDMI inputs, full color GUI with HDMI overlay, ABT-2010 video processing

2809/989 pros: more power, Audyssey MultEQ XT (vs regular MultEQ), better DAC's, AL24+ processing on FL/FR channels, pre-outs for all 7.1 channels, 3-zone/3-source (2809CI only, 989 is 2-Z/2-S)

The 2809/989 is, overall, a more flexible and powerful unit, and should have better "raw" sound quality. The 2310CI has some newer features and especially the full color GUI and powerful video processing.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7193 Old 06-30-2009, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 891
reserved

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3 of 7193 Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is definitely the reciever I'm zoning in on to replace my aging Yamaha HTR-5790. I really want to play with one first a big box store before I pull the trigger.

I've heard great things about Denon's sound quality, build quality and staying a little bit cooler than some recievers.

Nice thing is I only have three components to hook it up to (360, Blu-Ray and Directv) all over HDMI so I imagine set up will be very quick and I am looking forward to the full color GUI as well.

Only other reciever I might be looking at is the Onkyo 707 which I haven't heard much info on but I believe the features will probably be similar.

I spend waaay to much time reading tech, sports, movie blogs. I need another hobby!!!
post #4 of 7193 Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 PM

Well I preordered an 890 from amazon. They are posting a ship date 07/06/09.
I can't wait for it is replacing a denon 987 witch is in use now.
post #5 of 7193 Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 PM

Batpig what you mean by the last year version having more power has I though this years model has more power 105w and it is worth picking it over 1910, does the 90w vs 105w make a big difference and also with the abt 2010 video processor does the upconversion be better
please let me know I am torn apart in picking between 1910 and 890
post #6 of 7193 Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

wow brother, somebody buy this man a period or a comma! because I don't know where your questions start and stop, I will take this one:

Quote:

what you mean by the last year version having more power has I though this years model has more power

I am comparing the 2310 model to the HIGHER END 2809, not the 2309. In any year, when the new models come out people will often be deciding between the new model or buying a close-out deal on a higher-end model from last year in the same price range.

I explain what you get on the 2310 vs the 1910 very clearly in the first post. only you can decide if the extras you get are "worth it", it's your money

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7 of 7193 Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

wow brother, somebody buy this man a period or a comma! because I don't know where your questions start and stop, I will take this one:

I am comparing the 2310 model to the HIGHER END 2809, not the 2309. In any year, when the new models come out people will often be deciding between the new model or buying a close-out deal on a higher-end model from last year in the same price range.

I explain what you get on the 2310 vs the 1910 very clearly in the first post. only you can decide if the extras you get are "worth it", it's your money

Yeah I am certainly in that problem right now. I know its your opinion and sound quality is whats most important to me. I have yet to find a B&M with a 2310 how close would you rate the sound between the 2809 and 2310?
post #8 of 7193 Old 06-30-2009, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I haven't heard either one.... but I would speculate that it really depends on four factors:

1. how nice your speakers are
2. how big and/or acoustically challenged your room is
3. how "critical" of a listener you are
4. how loud you will be playing things

If you are the typical, living room HT guy, with some entry- to mid-level speakers, who won't be blasting at near-reference volumes, the sound quality difference is probably going to negligible. If you have a couple thousand dollars worth of speakers, and enjoy some critical 2-channel music listening, or will be blasting the movies at big volumes, you will probably appreciate the sonic gains a little more.

Everyone has their own budget and priorities, you have to be honest with yourself about what type of listener you are. And then, weigh that against how much you want to see a fancy color GUI on the screen.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 05:31 AM

my apologizes batpig, typed from a phone. Thanks for correcting my mistake on the power levels, i am inclining towards taking the 890 due to its more power, full color GUI, powerful video processing and full HD audio compared to the 1910
post #10 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

no worries, just ball-bustin

if you can afford it, the 2310 or 890 is a really nice upgrade from the 1910/790 model. unlike last year, where the 2309 didn't really offer very much vs the 1909, Denon really differentiated the models more clearly this year.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #11 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Ordered the 890 from amazon for 702$, it says will be shipped on July 6th.
Also is the the universal remote (Logitech Harmony One) is a must as i hear the Denon remotes are really bad, i was using a Onkyo 605 and i was fine with the remote what Onkyo had given me.
Anyone knows a good 5.1/7.1 Speaker system to go with 890 Receiver of the price range 1000-1500, thinking of upgrading later this year!!!!
post #12 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the remote the same as any of the models from last year that can be used for Harmony One?
post #13 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

all Denons use the same IR codes, so it doesn't matter which device you use to program your Harmony. Follow the link in my sig for more info on how to get full control of your AVR with the Harmony.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #14 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:

I haven't heard either one.... but I would speculate that it really depends on four factors:

1. how nice your speakers are
2. how big and/or acoustically challenged your room is
3. how "critical" of a listener you are
4. how loud you will be playing things

If you are the typical, living room HT guy, with some entry- to mid-level speakers, who won't be blasting at near-reference volumes, the sound quality difference is probably going to negligible. If you have a couple thousand dollars worth of speakers, and enjoy some critical 2-channel music listening, or will be blasting the movies at big volumes, you will probably appreciate the sonic gains a little more.

Everyone has their own budget and priorities, you have to be honest with yourself about what type of listener you are. And then, weigh that against how much you want to see a fancy color GUI on the screen.

My speakers are (mains) Paradigm 11 v3's with matching center and surrounds. They are good enough for me but I know others dont think so, my weakness is my old sub its a Paradigm PW-2200. It packs a punch but isnt the most musical sub. I had a HK AVR 7200 that died and it did much better with it than my even more ancient Yamaha. I really loved its sound (HK) but got so sick of its head aches!! We just moved to a new home and my loving partner is tired of all my components stacked in the basement, so I need to appease her . But she wont let me spend that kinda cash right now. We are definitly a movie family but the kids are known to have abused daddy's toys when I am not at home too. I have been informed that I need it to be Wife friendly so she can actually use it without calling me to ask questions all the time.
post #15 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

if you need wife-friendly, plan room in the budget to get a Harmony remote. it is a huge marital enhancement

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #16 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 03:47 PM
lmq

Hello,

I have seen this at UK site
_http://www.denon.co.uk/site/popup/index.php?p=vergleich_real&Pid=387&vPidN

The new 2310 has much more power than previous 2309, or it's just some wrong information??

thx
post #17 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know what you are looking at but the link you gave points to the 2309 vs the AVP-A1HDA!!

the 2309 is spec'd at 100W/ch, the 2310 at 105W/ch

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #18 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:

if you need wife-friendly, plan room in the budget to get a Harmony remote. it is a huge marital enhancement

Yeah I think that will help alot. I was looking around at the 2809 and prices dont seem to be coming to closeouts on it yet, but someone sent me a pm about Dakmart but I dont know about a refurb on the 2809? Refurb is just buying someone elses problems isnt it?
post #19 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
lmq

Quote:

I don't know what you are looking at but the link you gave points to the 2309 vs the AVP-A1HDA!!

the 2309 is spec'd at 100W/ch, the 2310 at 105W/ch

Sorry, you need to select 2310 on the top of the site.

2310 - 130W
2309 - 100W

maybe wrong information?
post #20 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

gotcha.

something is obviously way off, notice it claims 11 amp terminals with zone 2 and zone 3 options, advanced AL24 on all channels, etc.... looks like you are seeing the 4310CI specs.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #21 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 04:34 PM

After some waiting, Denon 2310 is finally under my TV and working!

My previous receiver was Sony 2400 ES. I have chosen it primarilly because of its many great features, hoping that the ES line will have OK sound, better than typicall harsh Sony style. I was wrong. What I got was typicall harsh and cold Sony sound. I wanted something warmer with room accoustics correction, since my room is L shaped problem and was thinking about Pioneer 1019 or Denon 2310. From multiple sources I came to conclusion, that Denon would have much smoother sound than new pioneers and that it will be better companion to my set of Monitor Audio RS8's with Bronze surrounds.

So after initial testing I have to say, that compared to Sony, Denon is: uglier, lighter, more expensive, has stupid remote designed by complete idiot and... MUCH BETTER SOUNDING.

Audyssey MultEQ is really doing a great job, but Dynamic EQ is even better. Dynamic EQ is basically more advanced replacement of good old loudness function and sounds quite great when playing at low volumes.

I wanted something, that will be good for music ranging from jazz to death metal and sound of Denon is much smoother even at pure direct compared to equalized Sony.

My dealer offered me an option to return the unit if I will not like it and exchange it for the Pioneer, since I couldnt wait a day for the Pio to arrive to compare them, but i dont think I will do it.

Cons so far: remote is complete mess, selecting the right source of signal is big puzzle.
GUI, compared to Sony, is cheap ugly DOS like text with very bad structure.

But at the end, the sound is what matters and so far I pretty like it.
post #22 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the review!

Quote:
Dynamic EQ is basically more advanced replacement of good old loudness function

exactly, it does the same thing in principle (compensating for loss of bass/loudness at low volumes) but in a much more sophisticated way

Quote:
GUI, compared to Sony, is cheap ugly DOS like text with very bad structure.

really? are you sure you didn't get a 2309? the 2310CI should have a full-color HD GUI.

Quote:
selecting the right source of signal is big puzzle.

you really want to use the source select button on the front, or the individual discrete buttons on the back under the flip door. the "Quick Select" buttons at the top are fairly useless unless you re-memorize them once you have everything set up.

better yet, get a Harmony

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #23 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 04:56 PM

No I have brand new 2310 that just arrived from Denon to Prague this morning I seem to be the first person in the world to have it, since i couldnt find any threads with reviews from people, which is surprising, since I live in Czech Republic, where we get all the good thing with huge delay

The GUI is running over HDMI and is "Full Color" if you can call one red, blue or green icon at a time as Full Color Compared to fully graphical Playstation like GUI of Sony its pretty poor, but at leas its fast (unlike Sony) and has nice fadeout, when you turn the menu off. Device itself has pretty good two line graphic display and could be easily operated only with it.

Surprisingly, I dont have the second remote and there is no mention about it in the manual. And yes I have 2310, not 890, all the other features (RS232 port, two zones etc.) are there.
post #24 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

thanks for the info -- maybe it's a slight different in EU model vs the US model? The GUI does overlay over HDMI video though right, no screen black-out and then re-sync with OSD?

why don't you post some photos for us of what the GUI looks like

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #25 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 PM

Ok, here you go

Whole gallery in hires http://fotoalba.cz/alba/chumaj001/1973927
post #26 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM

Question: is anyone familiar with upscaling of SD HDMI signal to HD HDMI signal?
I was used to, that upscaling works only from analog sources to COMPNENT/HDMI. Denon seems to be able to upscale even HDMI signal to higher resolution. Question is, how will it recognize that the signal is SD and not HD?

Reason why I am asking is, that I have settopbox with HDMI out and its receiving both HD and SD channels. If I set the settopbox to output 720p over HDMI will the receiver recognize, that some channels are in 480p and upscale them? Or will it act as its receiving 720p allways?
post #27 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumaj001 View Post

Question: is anyone familiar with upscaling of SD HDMI signal to HD HDMI signal?
I was used to, that upscaling works only from analog sources to COMPNENT/HDMI. Denon seems to be able to upscale even HDMI signal to higher resolution. Question is, how will it recognize that the signal is SD and not HD?

Reason why I am asking is, that I have settopbox with HDMI out and its receiving both HD and SD channels. If I set the settopbox to output 720p over HDMI will the receiver recognize, that some channels are in 480p and upscale them? Or will it act as its receiving 720p allways?

I would expect that your set top box is always supplying a native 720p or upscaling 480p to 720p. With my set top box there is an additional setting such that when it has a native 480p signal it will pass that through to HDMI instead of outputting an upscaled 1080i.
post #28 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

right, if you want to utilize the scaling in the Denon, set the cable box to "native" or "passthrough" and it will send everything at the resolution it is broadcast in, and then set the Denon to scale to whatever resolution you want (e.g. 1080p/60). If the cable box is outputting at a fixed resolution, the Denon has know way of "knowing" what resolution the original material was in.

chumaj -- thanks for the screen shot photos . a suggestion on your (beautiful) setup: swap the center channel with the Denon AVR, having the center channel sitting on the floor is the WORST possible position you could have it in! get it up to the higher shelf and re-run Audyssey, you will experience a big improvement in dialogue clarity.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #29 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 PM

can someone help me:

i got a european blu-ray player (for my region B blu-ray movies) that i use on my US lcd tv...

My tv support only 1080P24hz or 1080P60 hz......So it works fine for blu-rays but not pal dvds because my player output them to 1080P50hz !!!!

my question is the following :
can i plug my blu-ray to a Denon AVR 2310CI and ask the receiver to always output it to 1080p60hz for dvds????

so convert 1080p50hz to 1080p60hz?

thanks for your help guys

cretu
post #30 of 7193 Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 PM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can anyone comment how the main remote works for controlling Zone 2? Do yo have to push "Zone 2" and then a command over and over again, or does the remote just stay in "Zone 2" until it's changed?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page