Denon AVR-4810CI/AVR-4810 w/ 9.3ch, Dolby PLIIz/Audyssey DSX, October 09- - Page 129 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3841 of 4060 Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
jdsmoothie
Need clarification on this subject. I have a dual HDMI BDP connected to the avr4810. The only way to see the GUI is to change the source on the TV, is this correct? Also Every tome I make the change to see the GUI the Denon changes the source to TV automatically. Not major but it should stay on the DVD source correct? I did this in order to please the rest of the family but not sure i like to have to go to a different source to see the GUI. Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 4060 Old 10-02-2011, 05:16 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Correct. The video source needs to pass through the 4810. The AVR is switching to the TV input likely because you have the HDMI-CEC feature on the TV, BDP, or the 4810 (HDMI Control) set to ON. Set it to OFF and that should resolve that problem.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3843 of 4060 Old 10-08-2011, 04:11 AM

jdsmoothie, sorry I had not seen your reply. I followed your direction and it works. Just wanted to say thank you......

One last question, is there a way to see the GUI while on the DVD source? currently I need to go back to the HDMI output were I have the denon directly to the TV in order to play with GUI. If I set the denon to HDMI out to TV I can see the GUI and source material but no sound.
post #3844 of 4060 Old 10-08-2011, 02:36 PM
585-645-1006

^^
HDMI Audio Out set to "TV" only works with HDMI sources.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #3845 of 4060 Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm trying to establish a connection between my linux PC and Denon via a serial connection so I can try and make it work with iRule. Has anyone ever tried this? Can someone provide me with the exact syntax of an echo command? I've got 4 serial ports but so nothing I've tried sending through them with echo has had any effect.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #3846 of 4060 Old 10-26-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

After much googling and research I believe I have a theory on the condition that causes the network cards to fail/lockup.

The reported issue common to many posters on avsforum, after a power outage, or after a power bounce "power cuts out
and back on real fast" or after pressing on and then off real fast as the receiver is booting is the start of
the network problem.

The sympton after this happens is that the user cannot access the receivers web
management page. However, pings work and respond and users can telnet to port 5001 on the network card.

Users report nics with gold traces are replaced with nics with green insulated traces and having the nics
changed resolves the issue

some users have recovered without changing the nic out and others not.

one user reported that after booting going straight to the config menu without changing inputs and
switching his network standby from on to off restores network connectivty.

another user xczar reported that his completely locked up and upon power reset "small botton, not the standby button" his came back up in this post # 2831 of this thread

dMarca post number 2693 said - whenever I turned to Net/USB, I got the dreaded "Please wait... AssigningNetwork" message forever and ever. It only went away when I put the AVR on standy (by hitting the ON/STANDBY button), then turned it off completely (by hitting the ON/OFF button). Upon turning it back on, I got everything back to normal

I personally had the same thing happen to me this weekend on my avr-4810ci. either from some prior power outages the week before or from me rapidly powering up zone2 on and off again in succession to test some macros I created on my remote I ended up losing the web management page. I could ping the receiver just fine, but the web interface would not come up, nor could I execute commands via telnet. Standby off and on did not bring the nic back. nor did quick plug removal.

I was on the latest firmware prior to the rhapsody server disable/renable firmwares.

I was able to successfully get my denon network management page back by physically removing the power to my receiver after it locked up on the network connecting menu. physically removing the power to my router and switch, reseating network cables into switch/router. plugging back in the switch/router. then finally plugging receiver back in and
by pressing small power switch "not the standby one" on the front. I pressed it in to put it in the off position and then back on to put it in the on position.

After that my network came back up and everything has been fine since. I never had standby on, I use dhcp reservation for the ip and I have the green insulated
nic card. After it came back up i successfully applied the latest firmware with the new rhapsody server as I was only current to the firmware right before it.

I've powered up and down a dozen times
since this weekend and it appears to be ok.

So theory is quick power on and then off or when the card boots on the NET/USB device and gets stuck on assigningnetwork results in this condition of the network card locking up and becoming unresponsive to ports 23/80/5000. 5001 is responsive but just sits at a # prompt via telnet connection.

Can one recover from this condition? in my isolated case it appears I did, but is recovery only available if you are on a recent firmware version AND/OR have the green insulated nic? Will recovery last long term?

References below from various threads
across the denon lines

xczar in the avr-4810ci thread post number post # 2831 in the avr-4810ci thread.

dMarca in the avr-4810ci thread post number 2693 in the avr-4810ci thread.

mrocca posted this on the avr-4810ci in post number 3594 and 3650

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...60117&page=120

lynniemagoo post # 3649 and post # 3650
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20300981

chabor post #3443 avr-4810ci spread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19555295

phenigma posted on 3-15-11 in

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1300240

I have a 3311CI that has been working great for 3 months. The other day my finger slipped I accidentally

hit the 'off' button on the remote immediately after pressing the 'on' button. The receiver turn on then

off. When I turned the receiver back on I had no network connectivity.

My router gives an IP to the receiver still but the receiver shows no MAC address and none of the 'network'

menus or features are accessible or working. I have tried to reset my unit a few times with no success in

restoring network functionality. I am extremely disappointed as I use the network connection for Home

Automation control and interface (same as the rs232 control but over IP).

I'm off to deliver my receiver to an authorized repair centre 2 hours away. They say it will be covered

under warranty if I bring my original sales receipt. They also say it will likely take at least a week

before they will even look at it and then another week before they would probably fix it. Crappy timelines,

but if it's covered under warranty I'll take it.

[post 3771]
Author : proudx
Date : 08-05-11 11:39 PM

Some of the circuit board traces were changed from exposed metallic gold to insulated green. A sticker with some QC markers.
Here is a link to a quick video I made of the install. Sorry for the shake and blur...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNxRJon5WrI

Reading though the AVR-4310 thread "the avr-4310 uses the bridgeco DM860 nic, similar, but not the same" They have come to the same conclusion. The updated working nic is the one with green insulation.

The metallic gold signifies the old card.
post #3847 of 4060 Old 10-30-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Hi guys. In case you're interested, I've posted my results of testing the DBP A100 (essentially a 4010) with my AVR A100 here and welcome your input.

In a nutshell, for me, using my gear, DLink provides a distinct, significant SQ improvement for CD, SACD and DVDA. It doesn't seem to do much at all for DVD and BluRay. This is complex technology and I found the various Denonese instructions and settings challenging to say the least, so I may be screwing something up somewhere.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #3848 of 4060 Old 11-09-2011, 10:42 AM

Let me see if I have this right, on the Denon website under specifications for the 4810CI it says:

HDMI Video Inputs - v1.4a Supports 3D and Audio Return Channel

but everything I see here says it does not support 3D. I'm guessing the website is wrong as I cannot get the *@&%ing thing to pass the 3D signal to my projector!

I have the Oppo 93 which has two outputs and I can use one directly to the projector, but I only ran one cable in the ceiling - who would ever need to run 2?
post #3849 of 4060 Old 11-09-2011, 10:53 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The 4810CI is only HDMI 1.3 and therefore won't support either 3D or ARC. Note that Denon is using the same spec sheets for all the AVR models all of which are now HDMI 1.4 (except the 4810 and 5308). If you look in the column next to where you quoted that spec, you'll see it says "HDMI 1.3a, No 3D or ARC."

post #3850 of 4060 Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The 4810CI is only HDMI 1.3 and therefore won't support either 3D or ARC. Note that Denon is using the same spec sheets for all the AVR models all of which are now HDMI 1.4 (except the 4810 and 5308). If you look in the column next to where you quoted that spec, you'll see it says "HDMI 1.3a, No 3D or ARC."

That second column tells me that the one HDMI connection in front is v1.3 only
post #3851 of 4060 Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 AM
585-645-1006

Okay .. so points off for bad punctuation ... all HDMI jacks are HDMI 1.3a. Denon didn't introduce HDMI 1.4a until the XX11/X91 models last year.

post #3852 of 4060 Old 11-09-2011, 12:43 PM

I understand, I have no problem with your answer. I do have a problem with the Denon website. As I was getting ready for this upgrade (Oppo 93 and Sonly VPL VW95 ES) I checked to see if my receiver was compatible. I wasn't concerned with v1.4 when I bought it so it wasn't something that I remembered if it had it or not. I checked the web page and said I'm good to go.
post #3853 of 4060 Old 11-13-2011, 04:51 AM

Been very long since I have visited this site. My 4810 has been boxed for the last 6 months as I have been in a moving proccess with lots of variables.

Though I am not fully ready to move into my new home in PA, I have just now started to lay out the speaker locations for a 11.1 set up. A very difficult living room to deal with as I have no room behind my couch, lots of glass and doors, and the biggest problem for my right front is a big fireplace.

I`m using small Morel speakers for all of my locations except my fronts, I wanted to used a pair of home made speakers I did with Morel drivers. Problem is, if I use them for the fronts, I can not situate the front right because of the size in front of the fireplace. Placing them to the right or left of the fireplace is not a good option.

- When in STEREO MODE, can the wides or other speakers be used instead of the fronts? As I remember in STEREO MODE the fronts fired up?

- And in MULTI CH STEREO, will all 11 speakers be used for channel speration?

As always, your thoughts are well appreciated.

Hope all is well with you folks as well as your NIC cards.
post #3854 of 4060 Old 11-21-2011, 02:11 PM
585-645-1006

Recent firmware update fixes the following:

1) Support of modification in Rhapsody Codec.
2) Countermeasure of DM860 NAND Read Disturb.

post #3855 of 4060 Old 11-21-2011, 02:12 PM

I received a new firmware update today. It installed without a hitch. Does anyone know what it fixed? TIA
post #3856 of 4060 Old 11-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Thanks jd, I guess I didn't refresh before I posted
post #3857 of 4060 Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Recent firmware update fixes the following:

1) Support of modification in Rhapsody Codec.

Man, I'd love to know what this fixes, exactly. The DM860 and DM870 provide the AVR's network connectivity. Could this be a fix for the awful network card failures?

Rocky
post #3858 of 4060 Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 PM

Just before the update I had finally gotten everything calibrated perfectly. After the update, I re calibrated but now I have dropouts from my network server as well as intermittent static. WTF, I've already had the NIC card replaced and everything was fine. Now they issue an update and everything is back into the toilet...GRRRR
post #3859 of 4060 Old 11-25-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockL View Post

Man, I'd love to know what this fixes, exactly. The DM860 and DM870 provide the AVR's network connectivity. Could this be a fix for the awful network card failures?

A previous update borked my network connection and stopped me from connecting to a secure network that previously worked fine. With that problem I stopped using the network features.

I haven't updated my unit in a long time but sometime between then and now they fixed that issue because with the latest update I can now connect to my router just as I used to.

post #3860 of 4060 Old 11-26-2011, 12:31 AM

Hello All,
I hope that this post will help someone who owns the Denon AVR-4810 European version.
Just a reminder of the problem that I had http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post20791170 (#3772)
After the deep reset that I did to my reciver the Handshake issues and freezing unit issues were gone for a month and I didn't had network capability. After a month the Handshake issues and freezing unit issues were back and I started to look for NIC card replacement and to install it myself.
I started to look for the NIC at Herman electronics using the details that I found in this thread.
Denon AVR4810CI part number for the Bridgeco network card is: 8R1891001300D DM870 SUB ASSY 4810
I found out that this part number of the Bridgeco network card is not compatible with the European version! and Herman electronics can't order the card that is compatible to the European version.

I started to search over the web for the European version of the Bridgeco network card part number and after two months I finally found it
The Denon AVR-4810 European version part number for the Bridgeco network card is: 8R1891001001D DM870 SUB ASSY 4810 E2.

I found the card ready to ship from this company: http://www.riedservice.de/cms/index.htm located in Germany (Requesting to use English since I don't speak Germen). The price was 204.94 Euro (part costs 162.44 Euro + 42.50 Euro for Shipping)
The part came after 10 days and I installed it this week on my reciver. The installation took 30 min and it was easy like replacing memory card on my laptop. For now the network capability was back and I was able to upgrade the FW to the last one. I hope that it stay like that for long time

Lior

I would like to apologize for the bad English. It's not my native language.
post #3861 of 4060 Old 11-26-2011, 05:30 PM

I got the 4810 receiver exactly 2 months ago from Crutchfield.com. I haven't experienced any network problem with the NIC yet, and the Internet connection is configured wirelessly. I was waiting for feedbacks to see whether I can download this firmware or not. After reading those recent posts I decied today to do so. So far no issue.

LIVING-in-the-DIGITAL-ERA.
post #3862 of 4060 Old 11-26-2011, 07:03 PM

Thank you in advance for your help. I will be as succinct as I can. I have a 4810 connected my cable box and Samsung DVD. The cable box is connected HDMI directly to the Denon. The DVD is connected via a dual HDMI on the back of the DVD. One port goes to the TV in order to feed the 3D content and the second port to the to the Denon via HDMI in order to feed the audio. After a recent firmware update I have the following symptoms. I am watching cable box and the audio and video get interrupted and I see the signal on the cable box being changed from 1080 to 480 rapidly back and forth. After a while it stabilized itself.
Today I am watching one of my Blue Ray DVD's and the same thing happens. I lost signal and I see the 4810 switching back and forth and HD DTS engages and disengages. I looked at the back of the 4810 and found HDMI connections secure.
What could be wrong??

Thanks
post #3863 of 4060 Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab68 View Post

Thank you in advance for your help. I will be as succinct as I can. I have a 4810 connected my cable box and Samsung DVD. The cable box is connected HDMI directly to the Denon. The DVD is connected via a dual HDMI on the back of the DVD. One port goes to the TV in order to feed the 3D content and the second port to the to the Denon via HDMI in order to feed the audio. After a recent firmware update I have the following symptoms. I am watching cable box and the audio and video get interrupted and I see the signal on the cable box being changed from 1080 to 480 rapidly back and forth. After a while it stabilized itself.
Today I am watching one of my Blue Ray DVD's and the same thing happens. I lost signal and I see the 4810 switching back and forth and HD DTS engages and disengages. I looked at the back of the 4810 and found HDMI connections secure.
What could be wrong??

Thanks

Sounds like your NIC card is fried. Same thing happened to me on a previous firmware update. Your symptoms are the same as mine. A new NIC card fixed it for my 4810ci. I will NEVER update the firmware, NEVER.

Carbon
post #3864 of 4060 Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 PM

carbon ft print could you tell me what is the warranty on the Avr 4810? I purchased my from a authorized dealer in january 2010. did you call denon??
post #3865 of 4060 Old 12-08-2011, 03:54 AM
585-645-1006

^^
2 years ... better get it in to an authorized repair facility for repair (check for any in your local area or you can ship it off to Panurgy OEM in NJ) before the warranty expires, otherwise the card will cost you about $180 to replace on your own ... although only takes about 5 minutes to replace and some owners have gone that route to avoid having to be without the unit.

post #3866 of 4060 Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab68 View Post

carbon ft print could you tell me what is the warranty on the Avr 4810? I purchased my from a authorized dealer in january 2010. did you call denon??

2 year warranty. I called Denon support. They had a third party support group that asked me to perform resets on 4810ci. None worked. They gave me the name and phone number of the closest authorized repair facility.

Took 6 weeks. Good luck.

Carbon
post #3867 of 4060 Old 12-08-2011, 12:11 PM
585-645-1006

fab68 -

Although shipping the unit to the factory repair center in NJ (Panurgy) has some expense involved, turn around time is generally much quicker (1-2 weeks) if your local repair facility can't do it quicker. Also, as the replacement literally only takes a few minutes, if you do have a local repair facility nearby, you're better served just having them order the card and then letting you know when it's in house so you're not out of pocket for any extended length of time.

post #3868 of 4060 Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Liked: 17
I had been having problems with my HDMI connection from my cable box (chipmunk-type distorted audio) so I switched over to optical and component inputs. All I get is the black Denon screen over HDMI to my monitor. Audio is fine. I've tried combinations of scaling, seeing if I can disable HDMI output on my satellite box and nothing works. I checked the manual, and it seems that the Denon-ese confusing arrow diagram that my 1080i component source should be unconverted to 1080p, but it isn't. I've done a reset, tried other inputs and it's either something painfully simple or something is wrong. Connecting directly to my tv component input works fine. Otherwise I have my other sources connected with HDMI.

Direct to tv isn't bad, but I miss the volume overlay and the ABT2010.

Searching, I saw that BatPig has his SA box connected the same way, what have I forgotten to do?

post #3869 of 4060 Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 948
do you have another source with component video you can try, just in case?

basically, it's straightforward (or at least should be):

1) disconnect the HDMI cable
2) connect the component video cable
3) make sure the component video input (RCA-1/2/3) is correctly assigned to the input name you are trying to use... and unassign the HDMI input (just in case)
4) go to SOURCE SELECT and make sure that input you are using has Video Conversion enabled

that should be it...

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3870 of 4060 Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

do you have another source with component video you can try, just in case?

basically, it's straightforward (or at least should be):

1) disconnect the HDMI cable
2) connect the component video cable
3) make sure the component video input (RCA-1/2/3) is correctly assigned to the input name you are trying to use... and unassign the HDMI input (just in case)
4) go to SOURCE SELECT and make sure that input you are using has Video Conversion enabled

that should be it...

Something isn't right. Tried everything you listed, still get Denon screen. Tried connecting my Oppo, nothing. Went back and tried composite from the satellite box and it works on HDMI and component out. Switched back to component to component and component to HDMI and nothing again. My internet still seems to work, so I don't think my NIC is fried and is messing everything else up.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page