I need help with choosing a receiver and making sure I don't blow up my system. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I've been reading and searching this forum for quite a few weeks now and I haven't found anything that really clears things up for me. I'm pretty newbish, as can be seen that I thought my receiver/speaker combo was pretty good, and I hope you will be able to help out.

I will be doing an upgrade soon to my home theater and I need some clarification and suggestions for a receiver. I've been lured into the Denon line and really don't see myself going with any other brand or buying separates. I'm looking at the Denon 3808 and up to possibly the new 4810. I want the functionality of HDMI ins with good SQ and hopefully a decent video scaler (Mainly for scaling a SD cable TV source).

Based on the information provided below, will my fronts and surrounds be able to handle the power of the receivers I'm looking at?

Will my center be too under powered if I go with the 3808 or 4310?

If I upgraded my fronts to 150w rms speakers with a 97db sensititvity and 8 ohms impedence would there be a good chance of clipping on my system? ( I haven't noticed anything with my current receiver)

I'm moving into a townhome where the area my setup will be is an estimated 20' x 20' with half of the space going to a kitchen/dining area. Given the size of the room are any of these receivers overkill?

Current Receiver: Sony 100w/channel DE-497

All speakers are Klipsch Synergy III
Center
Specifications
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 73Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB
POWER HANDLING 150 w rms (600 w peak)
SENSITIVITY 96.5dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms

Front L/R
Specifications
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 39Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB
POWER HANDLING 100 w rms (400 w peak)
SENSITIVITY 95.5dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms

Surround Back
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 83Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB
POWER HANDLING 100 w rms (400 w peak)
SENSITIVITY 91dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
First, as you likely know from reading this forum for awhile, almost anything will be considered an upgrade from the Sony 497. Your potential picks are excellent and any one of them should serve you well.

Even though your space isn't really that large, it still shares an open area with multi-use. Room EQ should come in very handy for you. I'm in a space 17'Lx10.5'W with two major interior openings and a slider. Room EQ is essential and Audyssey MultEQ XT is the best I've found to date.

Scaling tech is a matter of preference and sometimes equipment. What panel do you have? If it were me, I would step up from the 3808 with Faroudja DCDi and get the 4310 simply for the Anchor Bay chip.

Your speakers will be more than fine with any of your candidates.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

The panel is part of my upgrade plans as well. I currently have a 50" Sammy DLP but I'm looking at the Toshiba SV670 or, if the price comes back down again, the Sammy A950.

It'll be a couple of months before I buy these items but I want to arm myself with enough informaiton where buyers remorse is only a minimum.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Then perhaps you don't need to overspend, which is page 2 of the buyer's remorse insurance plan. Keep it simpler and more cost effective, especially if you have no plans to seriously upgrade your cable service (or did I misunderstand the SD reference in your first post?).

post #5 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

I will be getting HD programming and an HD DVR with my cable service but they only cover a small portion of the channels I would like to watch. So some will be SD.

Thanks to President Obama I've actually got a budget of 7-8 to spend on the panel, receiver and any other items (Oppo bdp-83 maybe). I figure I might as well help the economy with the new home owners tax credit. I'm willing to go up to $3,600 on the panel and would like to stay in the range of the 4308 4310 for the receiver.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Ahh, I see the problem. What Cable company? So Sat. service is not an option then? You know that Townhouse communities cannot legally prevent Sat dishes? I'm still languishing with Comcast and waiting on FIOS, thanks to our local govt. cummunards. All the Sat options require a 2 year plan and I just know that FIOS will pop up right after I sign up.

The Oppo looks to be the only game in town as a one stop shop with all the quality a man could need. Once I get one for myself, I will stop buying regular DVDs and start to add in the Blu-Rays. Been waiting on this player for quite a while like about a zillion others.

Not sure if the 4310 has the Audyssey DSX or not. I thought it was supposed to get it. But even if MultEQ XT, it looks to be one hellacious unit. You should hear an improvement in your speaker set, even with their easy to drive specs. (That has certainly contributed to your speaker health so far with the underpowered Sony).

post #7 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 108
In my experience, no receiver is ever overkill. Unless you built your own speakers using tiny drivers with a 1 watt power handling capability that is.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #8 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Personally, I would seriously consider the Denon 4310 for your setup. It would be ideal.

Quote:

Then perhaps you don't need to overspend, which is page 2 of the buyer's remorse insurance plan.

I once underspent on a receiver though. When the protection circuit shut it down during a cannon shot on " Pirates of the Caribbean " and the home theater went suddenly silent, I moved up to a Denon 3806 and haven't had a problem since !!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #9 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post

Ahh, I see the problem. What Cable company? So Sat. service is not an option then? You know that Townhouse communities cannot legally prevent Sat dishes? I'm still languishing with Comcast and waiting on FIOS, thanks to our local govt. cummunards. All the Sat options require a 2 year plan and I just know that FIOS will pop up right after I sign up.

I had looked at Sat. programming but I was planning on going with the local utility companies cable offering. I can get all the SD and HD programing plus the premium channels and a 6meg internet connection for less than I can get a tv only bundle from the satellite companies. I'm also within range of their Fiber Optics. I'll have to do a little research and figure if their programming will provide the quality I want.

So it seems that the 4310 is what everyone is recommending. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this one then. I was worried that since everyone saying it was a step down in some respects to the 4308 I might not get the bang for my buck.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought of another question. If I were to upgrade my Fronts to the Klipsch F-3 and used my F-2's for surround backs shouldn't I be able to use my bi-pole S-2's for "Height" speakers with the Denon 4310?
post #11 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I once underspent on a receiver though. When the protection circuit shut it down during a cannon shot on " Pirates of the Caribbean " and the home theater went suddenly silent, I moved up to a Denon 3806 and haven't had a problem since !!!

Don't you just hate when that happens?

Of course I was being tongue-in-cheek and referring only to the choices in his original post, of which even the 3808 would be fine for his needs in terms of power with his speaker set. I agree though the 4310 is the cat's meow.

Speaking of cannons, on the 4th I fired up the Telarc Cincinnati Pops 1812 Overture CD and let 'er rip as usual. It was the first time playing it with a new processor. With the Onkyo PR-SC885 volume at -5 (range -82- to +18), I was astounded at the smoothness and clarity. I'm sure I could have gone a good bit higher but I love my speakers (and neighbors) too much.

post #12 of 13 Old 07-07-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkholme View Post

Just thought of another question. If I were to upgrade my Fronts to the Klipsch F-3 and used my F-2's for surround backs shouldn't I be able to use my bi-pole S-2's for "Height" speakers with the Denon 4310?

You could do that.

Home Theater Magazine August issue just arrived and is a special AV receiver issue ... Lots of info.

post #13 of 13 Old 07-08-2009, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. It's definitely eased my mind on my receiver purchase. It'll be a couple of months before I get it but I like to be prepared.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page