Best way to use mono speaker while connecting to a stereo o/p of receiver ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I am new to this website and whole AV domain. Recently I purchased a packaged HomeTheater system (Denon 1910 receiver with Definitive Tech 5.1 ProCinema 800 package). Also I am in the process of doing some structured (whole house) wiring.

I wanted to make use of Zone 2 of the receiver along with a stereo splitter/selector device which takes 1 stereo input and o/ps to 6 different speaker pairs (which can be controlled independently).

I wanted to put in only ONE speaker in each room (i.e. use the speaker in mono settings). What's the best way to approach this?

Can I just connect all the Left Channel (or Right Channel) consistently. But in that case I will lose lot of information.

Is there any option to mix both channels in to one and use as mono?

Is it possible to let the receiver know to use only one channel?

Since this forum is great place with many experts, I thought of asking the question here. Please pardon me if this is not the right place for this kind of post.

Appreciate your responses. Thanks a lot.
- Abhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I hope this is not the most idiotic question on the subject
and that the question doesn't gets ridiculed from the audiophiles
post #3 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I am not sure on this. I know, in general, you don't want to combine the speaker level outputs. That would likely cause a short.

I am not sure combining line level outputs is a great idea either. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but it's more or less a short circuit You can rig a simple circuit to do it, but if you don't want to do that, I can think of a third option.

You could buy a cheap mixer, and I mean CHEAP. Like $50, or so. Kind of ugly, but Zzounds and Sweetwater sell them. You connect your zone out line level signals to the mixer.

Taking the mixed signal, you could then feed that into an amplifier.

A simpler option would be some sort of dual voice coil speakers that accept both a L and R speaker level connection. Whether your receiver could power up all those speakers, I can't say. I would recommend an affordable 200 watt / channel pro amp. Like the Behringer A500.

There may be simpler/cheaper ways to do this. So don't take my word for any of this. I just posted the only idea I currently have on the subject. I will think about it some more.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 01:57 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

You could buy a cheap mixer, and I mean CHEAP. Like $50, or so. Kind of ugly, but Zzounds and Sweetwater sell them. You connect your zone out line level signals to the mixer.

Taking the mixed signal, you could then feed that into an amplifier.

you could do this with a pair of resistors.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne View Post

you could do this with a pair of resistors.

Yep. I saw a circuit and as you say, it's as simple a pair of resistors of equal value, one per channel. The resistors are connected at the other end for the mono output.

I thought about posting a link to the circuit showing a box with RCA connectors, but I figured the OP did not want to do all that work.

post #6 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM

Have you bought the speakers yet for the room? If not then buy a dual channel single speaker. Google will turn up many examples.

Then in each room use an impedance matching volume control and split the signal at the receiver with a speaker selector.

They may not play very loud but you could always add an amp later if needed.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys for the responses.
I'm still far from a solution. The more I am studying, the more things are becoming clearer as well as the more I get puzzled figuring out so much more to learn.

Do you guys think that this product from amazon will work for my needs?
" AudioSource AMP-100 2-Channel Bridgeable Stereo Power Amplifier"

Please pardon my ignorance.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I'd avoid using just the left or right channel if only because sometimes things will sound very funny. When important parts of the music (say all the vocals - - they really used to do that) are mixed to the channel you're not listening to, you get un-vocalized sound. Or the drums might be missing or highly likely the piano or a guitar that is important to the mix overall.

I don't think there is a way to use the left and right power amps to power a single speaker, unless it is a dual voice coil type like jettore suggests.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Actually I came to realize my mistake (in understanding the complexity) after placing the order. Since the whole house wiring work was getting delayed, I kind of placed order in a hurry.

These are the things I ordered.

Denon AVR-1910 receiver. Was planning to connect o/p from this receiver to the input of stereo splitter (Vanco - SS6 from monoprice) and then o/p from splitter to individual speakers (from monoprice) in each room.

Then I realized my mistake and now looking for solutions.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 03:00 PM

Since it sounds like the wiring is not done yet, why don't you just install 2 speakers in each room? Also you might want to think about the volume controls in each room at this time. It's much easier to add them now and it's nice to be able to adjust each room as needed.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah Jettore, That is also one of the option under consideration.
I was debating between these option
w.r.t. cost of additional speakers/wires Vs. additional mixer/amplifier/bridgeable amp
&
w.r.t convenience/looks of having one speaker Vs. two speakers in each room.

Thanks for suggestions about volume control. I kind of overlooked that aspect based on price factor (its like 40$ price range for each unit). But would certainly appreciate recommendations on them also.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_web View Post

Yeah Jettore, That is also one of the option under consideration.
I was debating between these option
w.r.t. cost of additional speakers/wires Vs. additional mixer/amplifier/bridgeable amp
&
w.r.t convenience/looks of having one speaker Vs. two speakers in each room.

Thanks for suggestions about volume control. I kind of overlooked that aspect based on price factor (its like 40$ price range for each unit). But would certainly appreciate recommendations on them also.

Personally if I could only do 1 speaker I would only do the dual voice coil option. You would still have to run 2 cables for left/right but it will sound much better. 2 speakers will sound the best still.

The extra cost sucks but this is usually one of those jobs you only get one shot at. If you check out Parts Express they do have a volume control for $20 so it's a little cheaper.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you do decide to go the separate amplifier route, that amp 100 might work ok. I have seen some positive reviews on it.

post #14 of 14 Old 07-14-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys for all the help.

Ultimately, I am going through separate 2 speaker (stereo) solution. Just now ordered more speaker wires and few more speaker pairs .
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page