Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3925 Old 09-13-2009, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSS View Post

For the third time, I tried to install the latest firmware update. My receiver hangs at 01 minute and will not progress. Today, I let it try to finish the update for 4+ hours with no luck.

I saw that an owner of a 4310 had the exact same problem with his/her unit hanging at 01 minute.

It seems that Denon is pretty incompetent when it comes to firmware updates, or I simply have a bad receiver.

The very first firmware update that I installed was problematic but eventually installed successfully.

After this, I think that I made a huge mistake in purchasing a Denon and will probably go back to Onkyo units in the future.

Has anyone else had a problem with the latest firmware update?

Greg

I received a 3310 a few days ago. Day one I hooked it up and had it working right away. I could access it over my network just fine. I did an Audyssey setup and everything sounded great. Then on day two I made the mistake of doing a firmware update. It hung with 01mins. The worst part is it actually bricked. I tried resetting it several times, but everytime it powered up it tried restarting the update and would terminate with a failed message. I'm a retired engineer and I've done lots of firmware updates in a variety of equipment, but this is the first time I've actually had it brick.

I returned it, and am now the owner of a new Integra.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3925 Old 09-13-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR_Ted View Post

I note on the 4310 thread there are some problems with the HD Radio part of the unit...would the 3310 have the same issue?

HD Radio is important to me, which is one reason I have about decided to get the 3310 over other brands, but if there is some kind of major problem with it I'll keep looking around....

Thanks!

Ted
Mesa AZ

Ted,

I've had my 3310 for about a week. I believe the HD radio problem you referenced in the 4310 thread is also present in the 3310. I will be listening to HD radio and, randomly, the unit will freeze and the audio shutters. I have to power cycle to clear the problem. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on but so far the 3310 has only froze listening to one station (Alice 97.3, in the SF bay area). I've updated the firmware but the problem still exists. It unit performs flawlessly in all other situations.

Any other 3310 users have a similar experience or recommendations? Thanks.

Mike
post #273 of 3925 Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwenk View Post

Well, batpig you were right, I hooked up a tv with an hdmi connection, and the soud worked, it recognized the digital signal, and the problems stopped. It was the hdmi-DVI conversion to a 7 year old tv that was the problem.

I guess I could have fixed it using your suggestion of component hook ups, but I opted for a much more expensive solution, bought the 55" Sony I have had my eye on.

Thanks again batpig, your advice was spot on.

kwenk

Oh no! Anyone know if this is a limitation of the 3310 or is it some player devices that decide not to send the audio through hdmi? I'm eyeing the 3310, and even though my tv is a bit older and only has dvi I'm quite happy with it and don't want to replace it yet. I wonder if the 3310 would still get audio over hdmi from my ps3?

I would have thought there were two handshakes, one between the player and the receiver and one between the receiver and tv. Then the receiver can get the audio regardless of the tv. Is that not the case?

rich
post #274 of 3925 Old 09-13-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell View Post

Ted,

I've had my 3310 for about a week. I believe the HD radio problem you referenced in the 4310 thread is also present in the 3310. I will be listening to HD radio and, randomly, the unit will freeze and the audio shutters. I have to power cycle to clear the problem. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on but so far the 3310 has only froze listening to one station (Alice 97.3, in the SF bay area). I've updated the firmware but the problem still exists. It unit performs flawlessly in all other situations.

Any other 3310 users have a similar experience or recommendations? Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike,

So far the HD Radio is working fine here, but I really don't use it as much as I had thought I would. Here in the Phoenix area it seems the HD feeds are the same as what you can get off air on FM, and on the other hand I didn't realize how much was out there on Internet Radio, so that is what I use most of the time now.

How is your 3310CI on off air FM? Mine really sucks...the old stereo (a Pioneer SX-1980) had much better FM reception. One station that was 3 of 5 on the signal meter on the Pioneer is not received at all by the Denon, and other stations that were full quieting on the Pioneer are noisy on the Denon. Not a big deal I guess because the stations I like all have Internet feeds. This is using the same outside antenna for both units.

Ted
post #275 of 3925 Old 09-13-2009, 03:06 PM

Last night I tried to install the latest firmware available for the 3310CI. During the install, it hung at 80% for around a couple of hours. I went ahead and powered down the unit and repowered. Everything was back to normal. I thought I would try again today, but when it checks for available firmware, it indicates that I am at the current level. I can't find where the firmware version is displayed. Can someone point me in the direction to find my current version and is it possible that the firmware did load?
Thanks
post #276 of 3925 Old 09-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Ted,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of internet radio. On my really crappy speakers, I really can't a difference between internet radio and HD radio. I plan on upgrading my speakers soon, so I was wondering if you notice a difference in quality between the two.

I have a UHF/VHF/FM antenna shoe-horned into my attic and with the 3310, it seems to pull in just about every station I could ask for. All the HD channels are at full strength-a pity since the HD radio freezes. Maybe a firmware update in the future will solve this problem as I love my 3310 and don't really want to return it. Thanks for your help.

Mike
post #277 of 3925 Old 09-13-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB1 View Post

Last night I tried to install the latest firmware available for the 3310CI. During the install, it hung at 80% for around a couple of hours. I went ahead and powered down the unit and repowered. Everything was back to normal. I thought I would try again today, but when it checks for available firmware, it indicates that I am at the current level. I can't find where the firmware version is displayed. Can someone point me in the direction to find my current version and is it possible that the firmware did load?
Thanks

Exact same thing happened to me last weekend.
post #278 of 3925 Old 09-13-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell View Post

Ted,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of internet radio. On my really crappy speakers, I really can't a difference between internet radio and HD radio. I plan on upgrading my speakers soon, so I was wondering if you notice a difference in quality between the two.

I have a UHF/VHF/FM antenna shoe-horned into my attic and with the 3310, it seems to pull in just about every station I could ask for. All the HD channels are at full strength-a pity since the HD radio freezes. Maybe a firmware update in the future will solve this problem as I love my 3310 and don't really want to return it. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes I do notice a difference between HD radio and *some* Internet stations. There are some Internet stations sending a very low bit rate so their audio will sound flat, muffled, etc. But others stream at much higher bit rates and they do sound pretty good - you'll hear the difference once you get better speakers. And my antenna is outside up about 30 feet, and my house is on a hill, so I get really good FM reception with the old Pioneer, but not the Denon.

And with all of the problems that Denon's firmware updates cause, I'd be careful. I always say no to the updates the first time they are made available, and then maybe a few days later I will do it, or not. If it isn't broke, don't fix it! Denon apparently won't say what issues are being fixed, at least from other posts I've read here. I think there have been cases where an update is published, and then quickly modified a day or so later when bugs show up. I must say I think Denon has really dropped the ball on these matters...there really is no excuse for those kind of problems!! Even M$ can do better

Ted
post #279 of 3925 Old 09-14-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride9 View Post

Hi 3310Ci owners,
I posted in a separate thread concerning the problem I was having with my new 3310 but have received no replies so I thought I would sneak in here. Everything seems to work fine, but I am getting no sound. I'm not new at this and have done all the troubleshooting I can and still no sound. I've got the Oppo Bluray player into HDMI #1 and a DirecTv tuner into HDMI #3. I get the picture fine, but absolutely no sound. All my speaker connections are fine, and I hear small pops when changing inputs so I know the speakers are okay. Anyone else have this problem when they first got theirs? I've been thru all the settings on the receiver and sources and nothing works. Is this a bad unit? Thanks for any advice.

Pride 9:
Did you ever get a resolution to this issue?
post #280 of 3925 Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwenk View Post

Well, batpig you were right, I hooked up a tv with an hdmi connection, and the soud worked, it recognized the digital signal, and the problems stopped. It was the hdmi-DVI conversion to a 7 year old tv that was the problem.

I guess I could have fixed it using your suggestion of component hook ups, but I opted for a much more expensive solution, bought the 55" Sony I have had my eye on.

well, I'm happy that I was right! But I'm also annoyed that this stupid HDCP crap ends up inconveniencing the average consumer so often. Very frustrating that they end up putting people (who thought they were fairly "future proof" with a DVI capable display) in this position.

Anyway, I'm glad that it all worked out and I'm sure you will enjoy that sweet new TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbz View Post

Oh no! Anyone know if this is a limitation of the 3310 or is it some player devices that decide not to send the audio through hdmi?

neither, the fault is with HDMI and its constantly changing copyright (HDCP) standards. Older devices that claim HDCP compliance still might not work, especially so with DVI connections.

Quote:

I'm eyeing the 3310, and even though my tv is a bit older and only has dvi I'm quite happy with it and don't want to replace it yet. I wonder if the 3310 would still get audio over hdmi from my ps3?

If you read my response to kwenk above, there are workarounds. As long as you remove AVR>TV connection from the HDCP chain (e.g. by using component for video), it will work just fine.

Quote:

I would have thought there were two handshakes, one between the player and the receiver and one between the receiver and tv. Then the receiver can get the audio regardless of the tv. Is that not the case?

no, the whole chain has to "play nice" or things can get screwed up. This is why something like your cable box will work when connected straight to the TV, but when you insert a switch in the middle (like an AVR) it will start failing.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #281 of 3925 Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 AM

I read through a lot of this thread about network issues.. I seem to have a different one... After some time the 3310 kills the whole network. Nothing can get on the network and any machine on also gets kicked off. This only happens with the receiver on the network.

If I take it off the network I never have an issue. Firmware update went fine and also have it set up with a static IP...

Anyone have any thoughts?
post #282 of 3925 Old 09-16-2009, 05:23 PM

Hello everyone, I am a Denon newbie (former yamaha rx-v1500 owner).
I am enjoying my new receiver but I had a question for Denon veterans.
When I play a music CD----no matter what source I'm using (DVD player,
ps3 slim) I cannot get bass out of my sub, it just plays on 2main speakers.
I tried with optical outputs and I get same results, I have checked all my
inputs/output settings and everything looks correct. Denon 3310ci settings
look correct too. Is this normal because it's 2 channels? I think if I go to
5 channel stereo it plays but I want this to happen on 2 channel mode.
Am I missing something? 2 channel settings on denon show LFE & subwoofer
with an 80Hz crossover point. Any suggestions? With my yamaha I was able
to hear my 2 channel music with bass from sub......??????
post #283 of 3925 Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

are your fronts set to SMALL??? if not, you need to change the sub status to "LFE+MAIN" in the 2-ch stereo menu to get the sub to work.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #284 of 3925 Old 09-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Thanks for quick response Batpig. After reading page after page about bass management, I have set front mains (all speakers) to small setting. When I look at 2 channel settings on menu it shows small settings with subwoofer & 80Hz crossover. I have setting on LFE. I have also set to LFE+main and still no bass from sub. I can play any movie soundtrack/video game and everything works fine, just can't seem to get sub to kick in with music on 2 channel stereo. Any other suggestions I can try when I get home tonight? Thanks
post #285 of 3925 Old 09-16-2009, 06:24 PM

Batpig does it matter what input I'm using? The 2 that I have tried are HDP & DVD over HDMI? Just trying to narrow it down to something I may be missing???? Thanks
post #286 of 3925 Old 09-16-2009, 06:24 PM

I am not sure if it is me studying the picture out of paranoia, but I was watching 300 Blu-ray on my PS3 fat the other day just messing around to the final scene where Leonidas throws the spear at the false god's face; anyways, it seemed grainier than I remembered. I have HDMI from PS3 to Denon and HDMI from there to TV. Denon video processing is off. All components are plugged into a Monster HDP2500 power conditioner. I didn't try doing a direct HDMI from PS3 to the TV, but do you guys think there is any signal degredation by letting the receiver do all the HDMI switching? I would love to having all components running their sound and video at optimum without changing settings everytime I change sources. Using Harmony One. Maybe I will get off my butt and go try HDMI comparison right now to see.
post #287 of 3925 Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 PM

Alright, I checked my curiosity and this film is just ridiculously grainy. I guess I never noticed before because I was into the movie and not studying my gear like a hawk looking for imperfections...
post #288 of 3925 Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

300 was made that way intentionally

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #289 of 3925 Old 09-16-2009, 09:11 PM

gldnegle76,
Yes I got it resolved by having AVS ship me a new receiver which should arrive next Tuesday. No matter what I did I could not get the receiver to give sound. I guess I'll find out if it was a bad receiver when I get the next one, or if I'm just a doofus and missed something. AVS has been great to work with and fast at resolving my problem without any questions, and I could not recommend them highly enough.
post #290 of 3925 Old 09-18-2009, 12:44 PM

So I got my 3310ci a few days ago, and so far I'm really happy with the audio and video quality. However, I am running into a strange issue. When watching sd content from my TivoHD, from time to time the audio and sometimes the video will drop out for a second, then audio will come back and I will see several frames of video that look like they are fast forwarding to sync with the audio, and then everything is fine again.

Some more information in case it helps:
TV is a Samsung Plasma FP-T5084
All connections are HDMI
I have the Tivo set to pass through the native format of the signal
I have the 3310 set to upconvert to 1080p since it does a way better job of it than either the Tivo or the TV.

Any thoughts?
post #291 of 3925 Old 09-18-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would assume it's just HDMI losing sync briefly from the cable box. If you don't get dropouts with any other source that seems the likely culprit.

Check for loose HDMI connections; there have been reports of people discovering that one of their HDMI cable had a little too much tension near the connector, and then they relieved the tension (allowing the cable to seat more comfortably in the connection jack) certain droupout/flicker problems disappeared.

Another thing to try is switching to a different HDMI input on the Denon; for example, if you are in HDMI-4 right now, try swapping the Tivo to HDMI-1 (and reassign the input as needed of course) and see if the problems persist.

Bottom line is HDMI can be very goofy sometimes with cable boxes...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #292 of 3925 Old 09-18-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neet View Post

So I got my 3310ci a few days ago, and so far I'm really happy with the audio and video quality. However, I am running into a strange issue. When watching sd content from my TivoHD, from time to time the audio and sometimes the video will drop out for a second, then audio will come back and I will see several frames of video that look like they are fast forwarding to sync with the audio, and then everything is fine again.

Some more information in case it helps:
TV is a Samsung Plasma FP-T5084
All connections are HDMI
I have the Tivo set to pass through the native format of the signal
I have the 3310 set to upconvert to 1080p since it does a way better job of it than either the Tivo or the TV.

Any thoughts?

You might try setting the TiVoHD to HYBRID rather than NATIVE. The TiVo will then upconvert 480i to 480p but pass all the higher resolutions untouched. If changing between HYBRID and NATIVE makes the problem come and go, it would suggest that the 3310 maybe having problems upconverting the 480i.

Rick
post #293 of 3925 Old 09-20-2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks Rick and Batpig,

After much fiddling around, it appears that this is a case of craptacular cables causing issues. Swapped a few cables around and the problem went away. New cables are on the way from MonoPrice so that I don't have a similar problem with my XBox...
post #294 of 3925 Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRick View Post

Hello all,
I do have a question on using an iPod with the 3310. Can you plug an iPod in to the USB port and get any functionality at all? On page 27 of the user manual it says "When using with an iPod connected directly to the AVR-3310CI's USB port, select "USB" for the input source". So from that wording I would assume that I should be able to get some iPod functionality through the USB port. I have a 4th gen iPod Nano and I spent about 5 minutes playing with it connected to the USB port, but I wasn't able to get it to work. I was using the USB cable that I use to connect to my computer to download music from my iTunes. So I thought I would pose the question here and see if anyone can shed some light on this.

I know that you can buy the separate docking port/station from Denon, and I may end up going that route in the end, but I wanted to see what I could do using the USB port first.

Also, I don't think the docking port will charge the 4th gen iPods while they are docked (that's what I discovered with my Bose SoundDock). Can anyone confirm this?

I didn't see that SoCalRick ever got an answer to this question. I'm considering buying a 3310 and am interested in this functionality, too.

I have a 5G iPod and an iPhone 3Gs. Does anyone know if these will work by direct connection or only through the Denon dock? If only through the dock, does the iPhone only work in iPod mode or can apps like Pandora, Slacker, etc. be used? Can it be controlled directly or only through the receiver?

Thanks in advance.
post #295 of 3925 Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM

It seems the internet radio feature works really well, but is anyone using the 3310 to access music stored on your local network?

I saw somewhere that the Twonky media server was required for this. Is that true?

Ideally, what I want to do is use my AVR to access the digital music library on my NAS (a Netgear Pro Pioneer Edition running a DLNA server). Is that possible?

I'm using a Roku Soundbridge for this now, but it would be nice to get rid of one electricity-sucking device from my rack if the 3310 has the same functionality.
post #296 of 3925 Old 09-22-2009, 03:37 PM

This may be a stupid question but I'm a bit confused. I've had a 3310 for a couple weeks now. I just ran Audyssey today but it doesn't work in pure direct mode. I have been watching movies in pure direct mode because the manual says it most faithfully plays back the original intended sound of the movie. What setting does everyone watch else watch movies in??
post #297 of 3925 Old 09-22-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

that is by design, the point of PURE DIRECT and DIRECT modes is to bypass any processing in the receiver. It's an "audiophile" oriented feature intended for people who want to hear their speakers amplified without any "extraneous" processing, and is mostly intended for 2-ch or multich music listening.

to engage "straight" decoding of the signal source with processing (e.g. Audyssey and bass management) you want to be in STANDARD mode.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #298 of 3925 Old 09-24-2009, 12:37 PM

I have had my 990 for a couple of weeks now. I am pushing Aperion speakers in a 5.1 setup with it. I have noticed that it gets pretty warm after an hour or 2 of use at decent volume of more than -25 to -15. My furniture stand is open in the front with 3-4 inches of breathing room about, closed in back. The wood around the AVR is pretty warm to touch as well. Should I be concerned? Should I look into cooling solutions?
post #299 of 3925 Old 09-24-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nah, nothing to be worried about. "Pretty warm" is totally normal, all electronics are going to produce some heat.

Can you place your palm anywhere on the top of the unit without burning your hand? Is it not shutting down in "protect" mode? then you are fine

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #300 of 3925 Old 09-24-2009, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the reply Batpig! Also thanks for your website on setting up Audyssey and Denon. I used it when I configured things and it was very helpful. I think Audyssey sounded better than manual with an SPL... sounded fuller and louder.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page