Forum Jump: 

post #3481 of 3925 Old 01-03-2012, 05:35 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
^^
Welcome to AVS Forum and the Denon 3310CI/990 Owner's thread.

A. Sub crawl - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3oLLMgS-M
B. When you add the sub to the mix, rerun AUTO SETUP again which may or may not set your speakers to LARGE again. Regardless, manually reset all speakers to SMALL with minimum of 80hz crossover. Any speakers the AVR sets to SMALL with crossovers > 80hz should be left as is.
C. Any audio below the speaker's crossover setting will go to the sub.
D. When you run AUTO SETUP you are running the Audyssey EQ. Review the Audyssey Setup Guide linked in my sig for more info. Your Owner's manual (p. 28) also shows how to set up the sub. Set the Audyssey Setting: MultEQ to "Audyssey" (p. 71) and set Dynamic EQ to "ON" for all sources and then set the Reference Level Offset (p. 71) to 10db for your TV/cable box source for better center channel dialog. You'll generally only want to use Dynamic Volume (p. 72) set to ON for TV shows or for late night viewing where you want to tame the loud explosions when watching movies.
E. 5CH Stereo mode is good for parties, but doesn't provide the surround sound you likely want especially when watching DD/DTS 5.1 movies. Press the STD button on the back of the remote to get the DD/DTS/DD PLII mode.
F. In order to pass audio from the TV back to the AVR, you will need to connect the optical cable from the TV's optical audio out jack to one of the AVR's optical inputs (eg. OPT1 defaults to TV so that's the best one to use).

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3925 Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by keptis View Post

Having some trouble running getting tv audio from local tv to come through klipsch speakers. I have a samsung 2009 model lcd tv. Any help with this would be cool. As I just use the tv speakers on the samsung when watching local tv. I have a digital audio cable spare to run to tv if you can simply tell me how to run it through the receiver to test it.

Another way may be to use a cable box to process your cable signal. Then it's just a matter of outputting the video and audio to your Denon and away you go.

ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS! DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS. ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
post #3483 of 3925 Old 01-07-2012, 11:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro20001 View Post

Another way may be to use a cable box to process your cable signal. Then it's just a matter of outputting the video and audio to your Denon and away you go.

I hooked up a digital cable from TV to Denon for OTA viewing. Then mute TV. Select TV on Denon.

I had an interesting hookup surprise when installing a lg670 bd player. Hit power on with lg remote, 3310 switched to DVD. Wish it would do that with uverse signal! Any thoughts of getting it to hit sat/cbl input?
post #3484 of 3925 Old 01-08-2012, 05:42 AM

when i turn my receiver off, video from the hdmi source player is still output via hdmi on tv. is something wrong?

thanks.

"Oh Lord, grant me the serenity to understand the things I cannot change ... and enough ammunition for the things that I can."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3485 of 3925 Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Not at all ... you have a feature called "HDMI Pass Through" enabled by the setting of HDMI Control to ON (p. 36), which will pass either the LAST source or a specific HDMI source (depending on the Standby Source setting p. 36)through to the TV when the AVR is in Standby. This feature is handy when the kids just want to watch cartoons or you want to watch the news or sports without having the surround speakers on. If you prefer not to have this feature, then set HDMI Control to OFF.

"JD" –

post #3486 of 3925 Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 AM

Thank you very much.

"Oh Lord, grant me the serenity to understand the things I cannot change ... and enough ammunition for the things that I can."

post #3487 of 3925 Old 01-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Not at all ... you have a feature called "HDMI Pass Through" enabled by the setting of HDMI Control to ON (p. 36), which will pass either the LAST source or a specific HDMI source (depending on the Standby Source setting p. 36)through to the TV when the AVR is in Standby. This feature is handy when the kids just want to watch cartoons or you want to watch the news or sports without having the surround speakers on. If you prefer not to have this feature, then set HDMI Control to OFF.

Yes this true, however beware it has a default of TV. Which cannot be changed if I read Batpig's guide correctly. Quirky if you ask me or from some engineers mind set.

Thus, from their input logic, the TV setting is the catch all. Nothing is simple. And this continues in 3012 models.
post #3488 of 3925 Old 01-08-2012, 01:30 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Sure it can be changed ... simply turn off the HDMI-CEC/ARC feature on the TV when not using it.

"JD" –

post #3489 of 3925 Old 01-08-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Sure it can be changed ... simply turn off the HDMI-CEC/ARC feature on the TV when not using it.

So it is a TV issue & not Denon logic? Everything is a work around. After Apple conquers TV, can't wait for the AVR.
post #3490 of 3925 Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup .. pretty much ... even if the AVR defaulted to last source, you would then have to change it to TV in order to use ARC. So in this sense, turning HDMI-CEC/ARC ON/OFF is no different then selecting any other source on the AVR.

"JD" –

post #3491 of 3925 Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by netorders View Post

Yes this true, however beware it has a default of TV. Which cannot be changed if I read Batpig's guide correctly. Quirky if you ask me or from some engineers mind set.

Thus, from their input logic, the TV setting is the catch all. Nothing is simple. And this continues in 3012 models.

also note you may be conflating two things here:

1) the problem JD is talking about where the TV's HDMI-CEC logic decides to magically change the input of your receiver to "TV" every time it's turned on, which is annoying because it overrides the input you just selected. This is a problem with the DISPLAY and how its HDMI-CEC is implemented.

2) the fact that, on the RECEIVER, when you turn HDMI-Control on the "TV" input is "locked in" and cannot have an HDMI input assigned to it. With HDMI-Control activated, the receiver assumes you are connected to an HDMI-CEC compatible display, and the "TV" input basically gets fixed to a digital audio input for a return audio channel from the TV itself, and can no longer be used for any other generic input source. On the newer HDMI 1.4 models with ARC, the "TV" input is also fixed to that ARC return channel. So, unlike with most inputs (e.g. "DVD") where you can reassign them and rename them to whatever you want, if you are going to use HDMI-Control then the "TV" input is basically stuck and no longer an option for other devices.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3492 of 3925 Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 AM

Greetings from a long time lurker, first time poster. The Quick Select on my 3310 is setup as:
Quick Select 1 is set to HDMI-1 (source D-Link Boxee Box)
Quick Select 3 is set to Optical-1 (source Logitech Squeezebox Touch via S/PDIF - TosLink)

Quick Select 1 is renamed to BoxeeBox
Normally I leave this in the "STANDARD" surround mode
However when I am watching sitcoms (2ch audio), I prefer "PURE"
(Dolby PLII and DTS Neo pushes lot of the background laughter to the rear speakers irritatingly)

I switch to Quick Select 3 renamed to Logitech
It remembers STEREO as the mode for this source.
But when I switch back to BoxeeBox using Quick Select 1 button, it is in STEREO

From what I understand I need to "re-memorize" Quick Select 1 to the PURE mode by holding down the Quick Select 1 button for a few seconds.
I have done this already but it still reverts to STEREO

I might be able to workaround this by setting it Quick Select 1 to DIRECT, but I would prefer PURE
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Denon's system is a bit different than Yamaha's. Denon assumes that the "standard" mode would be surround sounds for any type of input signal, so for a multich input (e.g. Dolby Digital 5.1) the "standard" button locks on to the straight decoding, and for a stereo input it switches between methods of upmixing 2.0 > 5.1 (Dolby Pro Logic II > DTS Neo).

So the "standard" button is not analogous to the "straight" button on the Yamaha. The closest analogue would be the "direct" mode on the Denon, which basically plays the input signal AS IS with NO PROCESSING, but that means you also don't get bass management or Audyssey EQ as well.

The good news is that the Denon remembers your surround mode preference by INPUT SIGNAL and also by INPUT SOURCE. So if you want to listen to 2-ch inputs as 2-ch, put the receiver in STEREO mode and it will remember that next time.

There is no way to "globally" apply this setting, you have to do it for each input. But once you do it once, it will remember it going forward.

If you want to check your current "memorized" surround mode, go to the GUI and then INFORMATION > AUTO SURROUND. It will show you a list of what the currently memorized surround modes are given the input signal type.

(NOTE that if you are using the Quick Selects to change inputs, you need to RE MEMORIZE the Quick Select after you make these changes or it will revert back every time)

post #3493 of 3925 Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:

I might be able to workaround this by setting it Quick Select 1 to DIRECT, but I would prefer PURE
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

you are aware that DIRECT and PURE are identical in terms of sound quality? the only difference is that PURE DIRECT shuts off the video circuits (e.g. dimming the front panel).

it's possible that the receiver doesn't let you memorize PURE DIRECT as the surround mode for quick select. but if DIRECT works fine, just use that.

out of curiosity, why do you use DIRECT/PURE instead of just STEREO mode? I understand disliking the 5.1 surround matrix of PLII/NEO but switching these modes defeats Audyssey EQ, Dynamic EQ/Volume, bass mangement, etc.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3494 of 3925 Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 PM

Thank you for your response batpig, the only reason I would prefer PURE is for the front panel dimming. (the 3310 and the PDP faces me unlike the 10 year old AVR-1810 which was on the side)
But I wouldn't like to turn the FP display totally off either.

I am not sure why, but the old 1810 with plain Pro Logic (not PLII) does a better job with background laughter (in old sitcoms) compared to PLIIz and NEO6. I setup Audyssey with 10 adjacent mic positions.

And I suspect the NIC must be dying on me. (stays at Connecting Please wait)
a) Has anyone reported the second/replacement NIC eventually dying too?
b) Has anyone had any luck with any other Media Server besides WMP11?
c) My ADSL WiFi modem/router is 2 rooms away. I would rather not pull an Ethernet cable all the way to the 3310. Is it possible to configure a second router (Linksys E4200 near the 3310) to serve up the WiFi internet data to the LAN port of the 3310?
post #3495 of 3925 Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 PM

clarification:
c) something akin to a Wireless Bridge like the Linksys WES610N

I am trying to reduce the number of "boxes" around the house. I need the E4200 there for media serving from the HP NL40. It would be great if I could use the same E4200 instead of getting another box like the WES610N
post #3496 of 3925 Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 AM

hi guys. got sub. problem is i tripped over the microphone that was hooked up to receiver, When i put plug into receiver audessy setting calibration page comes up automaticaly it when i start to measure by way of front left speaker an error message comes up no microphone or speaker . check for problem and press retry.

But with older audessy setting i am hearing the front speakers and surrounds properly but do not have the sub on this earlier measurement.

So i manually put in the sub and as a result I cannot run dynamic settings you stated for me to do unless i am able to successfully run audessy set up and i do not know how to manually set up crossover for front and surround. Any suggestions on this? What options do I have?
post #3497 of 3925 Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 AM

Also how high should I have the surrounds behind me on the wall. I have my sofa on the wall in a 10X 10 room (about 900 square feet). for music listening I do not want to be drowned out in the middle in my listening position. The surround facing in front but not towards me. height of wall - 101 inches

Further found the spot for the sub giving ok bass. Though I did notgo listen to exact corner of room as I got no space there to put sub would be a tight space and would have to face down to the end of the room

Question do i face it towards the side wall. The issue in that is when it is played loud i am hearing the windows on the side of the room it is facing make a set of noise from out side the house. Should i face the subwoffer toward the front of the room or the back of the room in the same spot on the perimeter of the room. or try for the corner of the room. The sub spot is about 46 inches from the front corner of the room.

Also is there a way to place front and surround at a certain level of volume compared to the sub. Seems deafning to an extent when I just raise volume level on receiver. do people like surround to be hot or loud? Since I am in a small rom I wonder what I should do?
post #3498 of 3925 Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

hi guys. got sub. problem is i tripped over the microphone that was hooked up to receiver, When i put plug into receiver audessy setting calibration page comes up automaticaly it when i start to measure by way of front left speaker an error message comes up no microphone or speaker . check for problem and press retry.

But with older audessy setting i am hearing the front speakers and surrounds properly but do not have the sub on this earlier measurement.

So i manually put in the sub and as a result I cannot run dynamic settings you stated for me to do unless i am able to successfully run audessy set up and i do not know how to manually set up crossover for front and surround. Any suggestions on this? What options do I have?

Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 103), but if still no joy then you're likely looking at repair of the mic jack.

"JD" –

post #3499 of 3925 Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Also how high should I have the surrounds behind me on the wall. I have my sofa on the wall in a 10X 10 room (about 900 square feet). for music listening I do not want to be drowned out in the middle in my listening position. The surround facing in front but not towards me. height of wall - 101 inches

The "side" surround speakers should ideally be placed about 2'-3' above your seated ear position (or roughly standing ear height position). Also, you can adjust the volume of any speaker or the sub using the "CH Level" button on the remote.

"JD" –

post #3500 of 3925 Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 AM

Liked: 38
Quote:

I wonder if maybe you've damaged the microphone? I don't imagine that they're made to be dropped very often. You may have just been unlucky.

ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS! DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS. ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
post #3501 of 3925 Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 AM

hi everyone,

i recently started having sound issues with my 3310ci, the sound cuts out every once in a while for like a second or two, and it doesnt matter what your listening to, hd radio, online radio, watching a movie/tv show, etc...

p.s. besides the hd radio, which lately has been horrible, the signal comes and goes, everything else is pretty much done via ethernet, internet radio, watching movies "via Dune Player", maybe its something with the network and or computer that im connected to?

any suggestions?
post #3502 of 3925 Old 01-16-2012, 11:33 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Try taking a can of compressed air and blowing it into the headphone jack or simply insert/remove a headphone plug into the jack a few times.

"JD" –

post #3503 of 3925 Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelbarchuk View Post

hi everyone,

i recently started having sound issues with my 3310ci, the sound cuts out every once in a while for like a second or two, and it doesnt matter what your listening to, hd radio, online radio, watching a movie/tv show, etc...

p.s. besides the hd radio, which lately has been horrible, the signal comes and goes, everything else is pretty much done via ethernet, internet radio, watching movies "via Dune Player", maybe its something with the network and or computer that im connected to?

any suggestions?

Hi, can you confirm that disc-based media also suffering from audio blackouts, or not.

post #3504 of 3925 Old 01-17-2012, 05:39 AM

Hello all. Long time reader, first time posting. Please forgive is this is somewhere else in the forums but I spent a couple hours searching and didn't find anything.

So my AVR-990 is two years old (Jan 27) and recently it has been kicking into the audyssey setup at random times.

It doesn't matter what input. I have a PS3, Xbox 360 and TV passing through the receiver, the game consoles via HDMI and the TV via opt.

I have tried the firmware upgrade as well as resetting the microprocessor to defaults. Neither worked.

I'm really starting to get down about this. I take good care of my gear both physically and with power conditioners and I never expected it to give up so soon...I can't afford another amp.

Anyone who can offer any help, please, PLEASE lend your voice. I really want to get this resolved.

Thanks everyone. Cheers.
post #3505 of 3925 Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 AM

Liked: 32
Take compressed air and blow out the mic jack on the front panel, see if that doesn't help.
post #3506 of 3925 Old 01-17-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxxmossis View Post

Hello all. Long time reader, first time posting. Please forgive is this is somewhere else in the forums but I spent a couple hours searching and didn't find anything.

So my AVR-990 is two years old (Jan 27) and recently it has been kicking into the audyssey setup at random times.

It doesn't matter what input. I have a PS3, Xbox 360 and TV passing through the receiver, the game consoles via HDMI and the TV via opt.

I have tried the firmware upgrade as well as resetting the microprocessor to defaults. Neither worked.

I'm really starting to get down about this. I take good care of my gear both physically and with power conditioners and I never expected it to give up so soon...I can't afford another amp.

Anyone who can offer any help, please, PLEASE lend your voice. I really want to get this resolved.

Thanks everyone. Cheers.

I am sure I've read on this thread or one from a similar denon model that dust accumulation in the mic jack can cause your symptoms. The solution is to blow it out with compressed air that you can get at any office supply store or electronics supply place.
post #3507 of 3925 Old 01-30-2012, 02:10 PM

Well, I've now gone through a couple of cans of air, even taking the aluminium cover off to make sure to get it all and it's still happening.

Are there known issues with cold solder joints maybe? I had an old Kenwood with that issue and was able to re-solder those joints.

Can I turn that particular circuit off? I really don't want to have to try and go through support (of which there seems to be very little) or warranty issues. (Purchased through Futureshop [Cananda] and they can be Hell to deal with :\\ )

Thanks everyone...appreciate all responses

Cheers,
Mark
post #3508 of 3925 Old 01-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Liked: 32
Well Future Shop isn't the warranter so Denon Canada would be who you talk to. Denon USA I have found to be top notch in the warranty department.

As for turning off, sure, just turn Audyssey off and manually set it up to the specs Audyssey did and see what happens. Personally tho, I would document when/how it happens and send it to Denon for warranty. But that's just me. Especially if I couldn't afford another AVR.
post #3509 of 3925 Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxxmossis View Post

This is known to happen from time to time on some units and generally requires the unit being sent in for service to resolve it.

"JD" –

post #3510 of 3925 Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM

I was considering getting a new Denon AVR 1712 as my needs are simple (Bluray and Sirius/XM radio through docking station) but Denon.com has a refurb 3310CI for $500. I know it's two (soon to be three) model years old but was wondering if the increased power and features were worth getting over the newer 1712? I haven't read through ALL 118 pages of this thread, but it seems the 3310CI is prone to problems, so maybe that answers my question! Also, the 1710 has the Audyssey XT which everyone claims is better but a network connection for firmware upgrades might be nice. I don't care about Air Play.

Or maybe I should wait until June when the XX13's come out and get a 1712 on sale!?!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page