** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3927 Old 10-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use the PS3 as my media server in the Main Zone, and the AVR as the media server for zone 2 (since I can control it remotely). I also use my iPhone or a browser to control both zones remotely. That way I can control volume as well as source selection and zone power. It's handy to be able to use the iPhone to control volume from the kitchen for example, which is still in the main zone, but not in view of the AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3927 Old 10-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Anyone have problem with their 3310 or 990 not connecting to the internet? I listened to internet radio this morning for over 2 hrs, shut it off and went to the store. Came home and tried to get back on and got the Connecting Please Wait... message. Been that way a couple hours now. Mine did this after a failed update a couple weeks ago, but after a day in standby it worked again.
post #363 of 3927 Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCamaroZSS View Post

Anyone have problem with their 3310 or 990 not connecting to the internet? I listened to internet radio this morning for over 2 hrs, shut it off and went to the store. Came home and tried to get back on and got the Connecting Please Wait... message. Been that way a couple hours now. Mine did this after a failed update a couple weeks ago, but after a day in standby it worked again.

Mine is doing that again too... Has been for the past few days. When it happens, my unit gets an IP and responds to pings, but all other Internet functions fail (web config, network settings, etc.). After it started working again a week or so ago, I disabled DHCP on the unit and assigned a manual IP. That did not help. My theory is that something is crashing/hanging the 3310's built-in web server and/or network stack.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #364 of 3927 Old 10-10-2009, 02:37 PM

I tried doing a firmware update again today.... unit froze at 01 min. Tried the up/down reset thing, which unfortunately erased all of my saved settings and Audyssey. This is the 2nd firmware update I have tried with my 990. Denon has really got things messed up. For the price of the receiver, I am disappointed to find problems with something that should be simple. It's too bad they don't tell you what the updates even do to find out if they're worth it.
post #365 of 3927 Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 PM

Red Camaro....I have not allowed any firmware updates on my 3310 for some time now...I go by the theory if it isn't broke don't fix it! The unit is working fine as is, and given the fact that Denon won't say what the updates are supposed to fix and that the updates can be iffy, I just leave it alone. I've had it on an internet radio station for over 6 hours now with no problems at all. I can shut it off and then when I turn it back on it re-connects with no problems. If it makes any difference the Internet station I listen to is one that I had to add via the Radio Denon website, as opposed to one that was listed by the AVR itself.

I do not use the Napster/Rhapsody features at all....

And I agree with you that Denon has really dropped the ball on these updates...even M$ can do better (usually anyways ).

Ted
Mesa AZ
post #366 of 3927 Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried doing a firmware update again today.... unit froze at 01 min. Tried the up/down reset thing, which unfortunately erased all of my saved settings and Audyssey. This is the 2nd firmware update I have tried with my 990. Denon has really got things messed up. For the price of the receiver, I am disappointed to find problems with something that should be simple. It's too bad they don't tell you what the updates even do to find out if they're worth it.

RedCamaroZSS,

How did you get your unit back to a state where you could even do a firmware update? In your post prior to the above, you indicated it was hanging on "Connecting Please Wait..." again. Mine is (again) hanging there when I attempt to do anything network-related. So far, it has not returned to life like it did when you and I both had this problem a couple of weeks ago. I have tried turning it off and on, unplugging it, leaving it on standby, but no luck yet. Have not reset it...yet...

I have confirmed via packet sniffing that when my 3310 is in this weird state, it does not even actually try to connect to anything when I choose Net Radio or Firmware Update (despite the fact that it says "Connecting")! The web server component must be the same as the Net Radio/USB (or at least tied to it) because none of them work. Must be crashing or just never starting for some reason... I know the core networking itself works because the 3310 responds to ping and lights up my router port.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
post #367 of 3927 Old 10-14-2009, 04:00 PM

JM

I tried about 4 times to update yesterday without success. Still trying to get that 7 minute update to work that only updates Ether SBL. Anyways, to get it to let me try to update again, I have to use the up and down arrow keys while powering on the unit with the master power. For some reason, this doesn't just take me out of update mode, but erases all of my settings. Anyways, after its been reset, I have to turn it off to standby. After about 1-2 hours in standby, the IP address seems to reset and I can access internet radio, attempt to update again, etc. I have noticed that during every update attempt, the light on my router for the Denon goes out once the 07 min timer starts.... It is lit while checking for update, but goes out once it starts. I don't think my AVR is actually downloading the update at all. I don't know if the original failure disabled its ability or what. But I am unable to ping its IP address, and it doesn't appear on my network once the update starts. I have set uPnP off on the router, disabled firewall, you name it. Tried starting the update with the web interface, everything. I decided to pretty much give up for a while until I see some other update offered. Also, I will be sure to use the web interface to save my settings next time so I don't have to reprogram. I hope it saves Audyssey too. Let me know if you can get it working. Another thought I had on the failure is Comcast Cable internet. I don't think its PPPoE or whatever, I think its TCP/IP. I tried directly wiring to the modem, but it can't even look for the update that way. So I am at a loss. If you ever figure something out, let me know. But I know my update will fail once it starts and the light goes out on the router. There is no network connectivity on my unit once this happens. And it takes about 2 hours to come back after the reset like I said.
post #368 of 3927 Old 10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JM

I tried about 4 times to update yesterday without success. Still trying to get that 7 minute update to work that only updates Ether SBL. Anyways, to get it to let me try to update again, I have to use the up and down arrow keys while powering on the unit with the master power. For some reason, this doesn't just take me out of update mode, but erases all of my settings. Anyways, after its been reset, I have to turn it off to standby. After about 1-2 hours in standby, the IP address seems to reset and I can access internet radio, attempt to update again, etc. I have noticed that during every update attempt, the light on my router for the Denon goes out once the 07 min timer starts.... It is lit while checking for update, but goes out once it starts. I don't think my AVR is actually downloading the update at all. I don't know if the original failure disabled its ability or what. But I am unable to ping its IP address, and it doesn't appear on my network once the update starts. I have set uPnP off on the router, disabled firewall, you name it. Tried starting the update with the web interface, everything. I decided to pretty much give up for a while until I see some other update offered. Also, I will be sure to use the web interface to save my settings next time so I don't have to reprogram. I hope it saves Audyssey too. Let me know if you can get it working. Another thought I had on the failure is Comcast Cable internet. I don't think its PPPoE or whatever, I think its TCP/IP. I tried directly wiring to the modem, but it can't even look for the update that way. So I am at a loss. If you ever figure something out, let me know. But I know my update will fail once it starts and the light goes out on the router. There is no network connectivity on my unit once this happens. And it takes about 2 hours to come back after the reset like I said.

Thanks for the information. I am going to mess around with it this weekend. I also have Comcast, BTW. I'm not sure that is a factor though because I am just not seeing any activity in Wireshark at all when I try to access Internet Radio or Update the 3310. I can ping the 3310 at all times so far though. Weird. I'll keep you posted.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
post #369 of 3927 Old 10-14-2009, 05:10 PM

I got my 3310 in the mail today. I first hooked up, power HDMI and ethernet (no speaker outputs). The unit went through a software update.

Then I turned the unit off, and hooked up all the speakers and HDMI inputs.

After getting things set up, I can see video, the GUI, etc- but I get no audio from anything.

The only problem I've seen like this when searching is from Pride9- and it sounds like they had to return the unit. I'm hoping this is not the case for me, too.

Also, unrelated note- where is the GUI for internet radio, net/usb playback and such? I assumed there would be a GUI to select radio stations, and browse through DLNA content. Especially since it shows a GUI for this in the quick start guide! But all I get is a black screen when I switch to net/usb/hd radio inputs. The menu still functions, so the unit is outputting to HDMI, but there is no GUI for selecting content- I have to open up my media closet and look at the LCD display. What's wrong here?

I'm wondering if I just got a dud- I'm pretty disappointed so far.
post #370 of 3927 Old 10-14-2009, 05:26 PM

NathanWolf, if the Net/USB is selected but there is no video to your screen, look at your AVR and see if it says Connecting.... if so, it will not show video until connected. At least mine doesn't. Also, make sure V.Sel is set to source. Just a couple things to try. Hope that helps.
post #371 of 3927 Old 10-14-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

definitely call up Denon and report the issue; it does sound different than what's happening with all the Samsung BDP's + Denons. Could be a defective unit.

Can you bring home another BDP from Best Buy or something to cross-check?

Batpig, sorry for the very late reply to this post. Once more I've been in places where the net was not available to me.... What problems exactly are you referring to regarding Samsung BDPs and 3310s?. I'm not seeing any.

More importantly, I'm not having any problems reported to me by my family members. For reference sake these same family members' approach to the need to change a light bulb would be to call me from many timezones away and report to me it's dark and ask me what I'm going to do about it. IF....... you know what I'm saying .
post #372 of 3927 Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
And it seems you caught him in the same "incommunicado" position this week (in Ireland). He's not actually referring specifically to Samsung issues with the 3310, rather the whole 2010 line of Denon AVRs. If you use the Search This Thread button with the keyword "Samsung" in each of the 2010 Denon AVR threads, you'll be able to read more about some of the handshaking issues that owner's of Samsung BDPs are dealing with.

Quote:

For those not familiar with the Search This Thread feature, it will bring up only those posts with the keyword(s) you enter. There is also an Advanced Search mode where you can enter a specific member's user name to get only posts from that particular poster.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #373 of 3927 Old 10-15-2009, 08:05 AM

RedCamaroZSS - Thanks for the tip, I'm still just learning this unit (of course), so I was unaware of the video source feature.

I pressed the "V. Sel" button (on the back of the remote), and saw that it was set to "Source". I cycled through all of the inputs to bring it back to Source, but I still get nothing on the screen.

I also found in the GUI section of the menu a place to turn on the GUI for Net/USB to "Always". This didn't seem to make any difference.

This was after it had already connected to my media server- and even after it's playing media.
So, is there supposed to be a UI for the media server interface? All I get is a blue screen (though it stays black sometimes if I bring the menu up and close it)

I would really love some feedback on this. I just got off the phone with Denon, and I'm going to have to return this unit. If the media server functionality has no GUI, I might consider just getting a different receiver altogether.

Edit: Just got off the phone with Denon- sounds like the GUI was another issue with my unit.
post #374 of 3927 Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM

So, this is wear the experienced Denon Owners are...

Wanted to inquire prior to pulling the trigger on a major purchase.

1) What are you guys paying for this product?
2) Is there really much improvement with upgrading from the older Sony STRV555ES piece? In other words, is the DTS HD a night/day improvement from Dolby Digital?

I think it was a bigger gain going from Dolby Pro-Logic to Dolby Digital.

The best price I see, is $920 delivered.

Any feedback would be great...
post #375 of 3927 Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 PM

Sounds like a good deal to me- I paid more in the $1200 range. Careful buying from a random e-retailer, though- I caught an interesting bit in the manual about the warranty being void if you don't buy from an authorized seller- it actually specifically called out web stores. I've never heard of that before, seems kind of extreme to me.

Something I would think about, anyway- since I had to send mine back today.
post #376 of 3927 Old 10-15-2009, 04:15 PM

I do think the Dolby HD and DTS-MasterAudio recordings are better than standard DD and DTS. I do have a couple of Blu-ray Discs with both tracks and switching between the 2 is very noticeable. The audio quality of this Denon unit is very good IMO... I have Aperion speakers hooked to it.
post #377 of 3927 Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 PM

Nathan,

It is not good news to have to send that "beast" back. Stuff like that really frustrates when you see product failures.

I hope they are paying for the return shipment...

As for pricing, I just got off the phone with one of the supervisors at JR and they will do $900 delivered.

Red Camaro,

I love my front Klipsch Reference Speakers, so this upgrade (if I make the purchase) should be a worthwhile choice. RF7's in the front, RF5's in the back, and RC7 in center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanWolf View Post

Sounds like a good deal to me- I paid more in the $1200 range. Careful buying from a random e-retailer, though- I caught an interesting bit in the manual about the warranty being void if you don't buy from an authorized seller- it actually specifically called out web stores. I've never heard of that before, seems kind of extreme to me.

Something I would think about, anyway- since I had to send mine back today.

post #378 of 3927 Old 10-15-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morda View Post

Can any Denon 3310 owners who also have LG BD390 Blu Ray player chime in and post their experiences? I just bought one and it does not play nice with my receive - I cannot get any sound when I set the player to bitstream TrueHD or DTS-HD MA track to my receiver. So I'm trying to narrow down if it 's player or receiver's fault.

Here's the chime in. Out of the box, date of June 09 without firmware update the 3310 had no issues with either LG BD370 or Samsung BD1500. After the last firmware update the LG stopped syncing on HDMI altogether and the Samsung lost TrueHD (just quiet) and DTS-HD MA (helicopter sound). Turning off auto lip sync fixed the TrueHD audio and cannot get any sound now on DTS-HD MA discs.

On top of that the 3310 breaks sync with my X10 projector whenever I switch sources (wondering if something like HDMI detective migth do the trick there).

So far no useful response from Denon. I can live with the X10 sync issues but no bitstream DTS MA is not acceptable. For now with auto lip sync off I also get DTS audio sync/drift issues which are also annoying.

Wouldn't buy again -- way too slow addressing considerable problems and bought from the local retailer with a nasty return policy. Excuse the rant but not too impressed. Hope the opinion is useful.
post #379 of 3927 Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 PM

I have owned mine 2 months now? Mine works like a charm, and i have never done a firmware update. I cant see why one would need to be done, especially if they brick your AVR!
I use mine for my Blu-ray watching in my HT. I also have a Denon iPod dock that has put new life in my iPod viewing, and music listening.
Once again, id have to say, why do firmware updates on this receiver? It works fine without them, doesnt it?
post #380 of 3927 Old 10-16-2009, 09:15 AM

Based on feedback above and other complaints from newsgroups, this model should be avoided.

I went to my local dealer and hooked this up to his network, and had similiar problems.

Who cares if you can get these at a crazy low prices, if they don't work properly.

Thumbs down on this..
post #381 of 3927 Old 10-16-2009, 09:47 AM

My unit still will not complete firmware updates. It still gets hung at 01 minute. To send the unit back for repairs would result in me paying shipping to the repair center and not having my unit for approximately 4 weeks. Thus, based on my experience, the Denon 3310 should be avoided.

Greg
post #382 of 3927 Old 10-16-2009, 01:21 PM

I've been running my 3310 for about three months now. Only updated firmware once and, yes, it stuck at one minute but finally finished the download.

Anyway, I love this unit. The sound and functionality are incredible compared to my 11 year old receiver. Just wondering if anyone found a way to keep "Dynamic Volume" on all the time? It's a bit of a pain to manually turn it on every time I watch DirecTV. I've gone through all the selections under "Manual Setup" and haven't found a way to accomplish this. Thanks for any help.

- John
post #383 of 3927 Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
It will indeed remember your setting. Most likely you're using a Quick Select button to turn on the AVR and you need to rememorize the setting with Dyn Vol ON.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #384 of 3927 Old 10-17-2009, 10:01 AM

I currently have a yamaha rxv-1900 which i am very happy with except for one thing --> no HDMI overlay OSD. The receiver is in another room and and sends my cable HD receiver, my PS3, and my HTPC to my sharp 52d92u via HDMI. I have a harmony 1100 with RF which I havent set up yet. I am currently using a wireless X-10 infrared repeater to control all my equipment. The lack of OSD has become really annoying in a few instances. When first turning everything on it would be nice to see on screen what input was active (cant always be sure the X-10 repeater received and sent the IR signal to the Yamaha). This is especially important because I have occasional issues of the HTPC not waking up properly. Can anyone confirm that when you select an input on the Denon the OSD shows the new active input?

Another issue is that I would really like to see the volume level on screen which I know this unit does.

Lastly, I recently added an ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 card to the HTPC and I have successfully gotten DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD to bitstream to the receiver when playing my cataloged Blu-Ray discs with TMT3. What I really want is visual confirmation that the receiver received this signal. Currently I have to get up and walk to the office to confirm this. It may sound dumb, but I get such a feeling of accomplishment every time I see the HD audio icons light up on the Yamaha display. Can anyone confirm that the active surround mode can be confirmed through the OSD of the 3310? Ideally it would be nice if the HD audio icons displayed on screen on their own as soon as they were detected.

I would also like to confirm that there are pre-outs for both zone 2 and 3. I would like to reserve the amplifiers for the unit to run 7.1 in my main viewing area and use external amplifiers for zone 2 and zone 3. Every multizone receiver I have had does this but I just wanted to make sure.

With the optional IPOD dock have people been successful watching videos through HDMI from an iPhone 3GS or an IPOD touch?

From reading 13 pages of posts today, sounds like if I get this unit I should avoid the firmware upgrades.

Are there any other receivers in the <$1500 retail segment that you guys/gals would recommend knowing my needs?
post #385 of 3927 Old 10-17-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, in an attempt to fix the problem of not being able to use any network-related functions of my 3310, I "reset" the unit. Apparently, that does not completely reset the unit. Of course, it cleared my Audyssey settings, input customization, etc. However, it did not clear the network settings, other than to return it to DHCP instead of Static IP. Moreover, despite the fact that the network cable wasn't even plugged into the unit when I reset it, the 3310 reports having the same DHCP IP that it used to have! Clearly, there are major issues with the networking stack in the 3310, and a reset does not effectively clear out the network settings. I hope Denon built in some sort of way to upgrade (or downgrade) the firmware via the USB port...

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
post #386 of 3927 Old 10-17-2009, 12:23 PM

Well, I officially talked myself out of this purchase. At this time, too many issues.

However, you can get one from 6th Ave. for $895 delivered. Don't ever upgrade the firmware.
post #387 of 3927 Old 10-18-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

And it seems you caught him in the same "incommunicado" position this week (in Ireland).

Technology is cool. I'm catching up on the last week of posts thanks to WiFi on the plane and my iPod touch. No way am I going to attempt to dispense advice tho on this here tiny virtual keyboard. Thanks JD for keeping things well covered

Judging by the relative length of this thread the 3310 sure seems to be this years "odd man out" in terms of popularity. I think folks willing to spend a grand on an AVR are jumping straight to the more comprehensively appointed 4310 model... and the rest (like me) would rather save $$$ and stick with the "everything but the networking and preouts" 2310 model.

Bummer that the networking seems to be providing so many headaches. one would assume that the vast majority of people are having zero issues and, as is usual on the Internet, we are mostly just hearing about the problems... but I would be mighty pissed if a regular firmware update bricked my unit and then denon made me foot the shipping bill to get it repaired.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #388 of 3927 Old 10-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Fox

I've had my unit for about 2 months and have upgrade the firmware 3 times I believe. I've had no issues. I'm quite happy with it.
post #389 of 3927 Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabfreak View Post

The lack of OSD has become really annoying in a few instances. When first turning everything on it would be nice to see on screen what input was active (cant always be sure the X-10 repeater received and sent the IR signal to the Yamaha). This is especially important because I have occasional issues of the HTPC not waking up properly. Can anyone confirm that when you select an input on the Denon the OSD shows the new active input?

Yes, there is a "status" display for a variety of things. When you switch to a new input, it will display across the bottom of the screen a gray bar with text info on input source "name", input signal type, and surround mode. If you make changes (such as turning on Dynamic Volume or changing surround mode) it will also register in the on-screen display.

Quote:
Can anyone confirm that the active surround mode can be confirmed through the OSD of the 3310? Ideally it would be nice if the HD audio icons displayed on screen on their own as soon as they were detected.

yep, as indicated above it will display the surround mode when you switch to the input, and you can also go to the "information" section of the GUI and access HDMI info, input signal type, etc.

Quote:
I would also like to confirm that there are pre-outs for both zone 2 and 3. I would like to reserve the amplifiers for the unit to run 7.1 in my main viewing area and use external amplifiers for zone 2 and zone 3.

yes, you can look at a photo of the rear of the unit at Denon's product page:
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4972.asp

the manual is also available for download.

Quote:
From reading 13 pages of posts today, sounds like if I get this unit I should avoid the firmware upgrades.

I wouldn't necessarily conclude this; as I mention above, I would imagine that the vast majority of owner's have zero issues with the firmware updates and these issues are more the exception than the norm. Things always sound scarier on internet threads because you mostly hear about the problems

Quote:
Are there any other receivers in the <$1500 retail segment that you guys/gals would recommend knowing my needs?

if you have any interest in Audyssey DSX and going to a 9-ch setup, you should definitely take a look at the Onkyo 1007 model.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #390 of 3927 Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing I have tried has succeeded in making my 3310 release its IP and return to a state where I can access its network functionality--up + down reset, DSP + Standard reset, leaving in Standby overnight after a reset, leaving network cable unplugged, unplugging the AC, you name it. It retains its network settings no matter what I try. At this point, it isn't even grabbing an IP via DHCP at all (confirmed via router log and packet sniffing), just sitting on the last one it grabbed a week or so ago.

Keep in mind that my unit successfully completed 2-3 firmware upgrades before, for unknown reasons, its network functions just stopped working some time ago. They started working again for a few days but since then...nothing. It can still be pinged, but nothing else network-related works. Something is very wrong with the networking code (and apparently the reset code) in this unit.

Is there a super secret combination that will truly reset my unit, including its network settings?

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page