Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3927 Old 11-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by francefrance View Post

I am also stucked on my update. It is stopping at "Ether SBL 6 min" reporting "Download fail". If I turn 3310 of and on it starts all over again.

.... and freezes after cca 15 min with above message.

If I disconnect network, and turn it again on, it says "Update retry" and stops after few minutes with "connection fail03" report. This message stays on all the time, but 3310 is otherwise fully operational (without network, off course).

I unchecked automatic updates in system menu.

a) How can I skip Update retry?
b) Where is my problem with update at all. Internet connection was OK before update (internet radio was fully operational), now it is blocked by retriing update and freezing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3927 Old 11-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:

If I disconnect network, and turn it again on, it says "Update retry" and stops after few minutes with "connection fail03" report.

I was having the same problem with my 3310 updating firmware.
I just kept using the up/down arrows to power on (likely 10 times) and eventually it completed. I found that even though it showed "connection fail03" it would eventually retry on its own.

I also turned off "auto update" and will likely not do an update again.
That is unless there is a major advantage in doing so.

- John
post #453 of 3927 Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 PM

So I boxed up the 990 and took it to the store where I got it. Luckily they exchanged it for a brand new one. The downside is that I still have problems, however its a little different. My router lights up showing connection, but its not showing on my router setup that an IP has been assigned to it. Trying to go to net/usb shows the please wait... connecting... message. There is no IP assigned by the AVR but it assigned itself a MAC address. Tried a reset on the unit, but that would not clear the MAC or get DHCP to find an IP. The only other thing I can think of is a new router, but I doubt that is the problem. FWIW I am using a D-Link DIR-655 router with a D-link switch.
post #454 of 3927 Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCamaroZSS View Post

So I boxed up the 990 and took it to the store where I got it. Luckily they exchanged it for a brand new one. The downside is that I still have problems, however its a little different. My router lights up showing connection, but its not showing on my router setup that an IP has been assigned to it. Trying to go to net/usb shows the please wait... connecting... message. There is no IP assigned by the AVR but it assigned itself a MAC address. Tried a reset on the unit, but that would not clear the MAC or get DHCP to find an IP. The only other thing I can think of is a new router, but I doubt that is the problem. FWIW I am using a D-Link DIR-655 router with a D-link switch.

I am using the exact same router with a Dlink switch as well and my 3310 had no problems getting a IP address from the router. Before replacing the router try a removing the power ie doing a hard boot and if that does not work you could try a reset to restore the router to factory setting which would remove any and all data about your network giving a clean new slate for set up. Also check to make sure you have address available from your router check the address range to make sure you have some open ones available and that your router had a dhcp server enabled.
post #455 of 3927 Old 11-09-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:

There is no IP assigned by the AVR but it assigned itself a MAC address. Tried a reset on the unit, but that would not clear the MAC or get DHCP to find an IP.

Keep in mind that your MAC address is burned into your Network Adapter. It is never assigned or cleared. Matter of fact, it's on a sticker on the back of the unit. This allows you to easily see the IP address assigned to it.

I'd try the above advise in resetting the router and ensuring you have a sufficient range of DHCP addresses.

- John
post #456 of 3927 Old 11-09-2009, 02:48 PM

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I figure most people who are reading this thread are also potential buyers. So here it goes. I am about to get a 3310, but after doing a little research on different seller's price, I found out that Denon only offer warranty / service to products purchased from their Authorized Reseller.

I can't post a link yet, but you can find the warranty link on Denon's website under product page.

There are a lot of resellers out there selling Denon's A/V receivers that are not listed under Denon's Authorized Resellers, I can't imagine Denon turning down warrarnty / service all those requests. Or are majority of users following Denon's guideline and pay premium by buying from the listed Authorized Resellers? Any comment would be really appreciated. Thank you.
post #457 of 3927 Old 11-09-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by istyle View Post

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I figure most people who are reading this thread are also potential buyers. So here it goes. I am about to get a 3310, but after doing a little research on different seller's price, I found out that Denon only offer warranty / service to products purchased from their Authorized Reseller.

I can't post a link yet, but you can find the warranty link on Denon's website under product page.

There are a lot of resellers out there selling Denon's A/V receivers that are not listed under Denon's Authorized Resellers, I can't imagine Denon turning down warrarnty / service all those requests. Or are majority of users following Denon's guideline and pay premium by buying from the listed Authorized Resellers? Any comment would be really appreciated. Thank you.

When I did my research the best rate I could find was from an authorized dealer. Look at my previous post on this tread for more info.
post #458 of 3927 Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I used to have this exact router when it first came out and I had nothing but issues with my PS3. The connectivity was very unreliable. I ended up using my old linksys WRT54g and I have no issues with none of my devices. I am actually running a dlink gigabit switch on an entire home network that goes through the linksys connection. I don't want to say that's entirely your problem being the router, but you've had two separate AVR's now giving you network issues. Time to change something else. Can you borrow another router? or better yet, can't you just take it out of the equation and hook up the AVR directly to your internet connection?
post #459 of 3927 Old 11-10-2009, 01:26 PM

thanks a lot. found it. better be safe than sorry.
post #460 of 3927 Old 11-10-2009, 02:52 PM

Hooking directly to my Comcast modem doesn't seem to work either. I don't have another router to try...
post #461 of 3927 Old 11-11-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhacker View Post

I just kept using the up/down arrows to power on (likely 10 times) and eventually it completed. .

What does that mean? I can not find this in manual.
post #462 of 3927 Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 PM

Liked: 11
Turned on my receiver from standby mode and it was frozen on the Net/USB source. Remote was completely unresponsive, could not change source, volume, turn it off, nothing. I had to physically hit the power button to turn the receiver off, turn it back on and let it reconnect to my network. My connection is very stable usually, but something in the connection threw the receiver for a loop and it just froze up. strange.
post #463 of 3927 Old 11-13-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:

.... and freezes after cca 15 min with above message.

If I disconnect network, and turn it again on, it says "Update retry" and stops after few minutes with "connection fail03" report. This message stays on all the time, but 3310 is otherwise fully operational (without network, off course).

I received answer from austrian tech support:
"Thank you for email and sorry for the trouble with the update which is cause by a timing issue in the AVR Firm.
We recommend to update the unit on a faster internet access since the new firm will not have this problem and
should update on slower networks aswell. If you do not have the possibility to update on a faster network please bring the unit back to your dealer for service.

It's possible to stop the update procedure by reseting the network adapter. Press the Arrow Up and Arrow Down Button under the trap door (AVR off by main power switch)
and switch the unit on while still holding this two buttons. All display segments will blink. After blinking a couple of times release the buttons and the AVR will switch on normally
and not update again.

Kind Regards

Michael Mandl
"

First part of answer isn't much of help (I'm on 10/10 Mbps connection) but second shall help avoid damage, but not the problem. Will see later today.
post #464 of 3927 Old 11-13-2009, 07:30 AM

Hello,

I currently own AVR 988 and I am extremly happy with it apart from a few issues/features. For example, I would like it to be able to downconvert HDMI signal to ZONE2 out which is analog, also I would like that it upconverts to 1080p on HDMI input (I am thinking about SD channels on my Satelite box)

Can someone tell me what are the differences between these 3 models and if I should sell my AVR 988 and upgrade to one of the other 2 ?

Also, what's the realistic price I can get for used AVR 988 these days ?

Thanks,
Nikonowski
post #465 of 3927 Old 11-13-2009, 09:27 AM

On my 3310ci I only use one zone so I can not comment on the Zone 2 info however I can tell you I am very pleased with the upconvert to 1080p on HDMI input for my Dish Network DVR522 its connected by svideo.
post #466 of 3927 Old 11-13-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters62 View Post

On my 3310ci I only use one zone so I can not comment on the Zone 2 info however I can tell you I am very pleased with the upconvert to 1080p on HDMI input for my Dish Network DVR522 its connected by svideo.

My cable box is already HD via HDMI but this way I cannot upconver SD channels as AVR 988 but when I attach component from my HD Cable box, I could in fact upconvert standard channels to 1080P that way but it remains to be seen if I would be gaining any quality improvements over the my TV already upconverting to 1080P

Thanks,
Nikonowski
post #467 of 3927 Old 11-13-2009, 12:00 PM

The video conversion chip used in the Denon AVR-3310cd/990 does an excellent job much better than my tv or my upconverting dvd player. If you do some reading in the Denon 2310ci/890 thread there has been some discussion about the quality of the Denon 2310-3310 upconversion as being some of the best available right now in a AV receiver without going into a much higher price bracket. I think I read the the same ABT chip is also used in the Oppo players and also in some Video Processors.
post #468 of 3927 Old 11-13-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I received answer from austrian tech support:
"Thank you for email and sorry for the trouble with the update which is cause by a timing issue in the AVR Firm.
We recommend to update the unit on a faster internet access since the new firm will not have this problem and
should update on slower networks aswell. If you do not have the possibility to update on a faster network please bring the unit back to your dealer for service.

It's possible to stop the update procedure by reseting the network adapter. Press the Arrow Up and Arrow Down Button under the trap door (AVR off by main power switch)
and switch the unit on while still holding this two buttons. All display segments will blink. After blinking a couple of times release the buttons and the AVR will switch on normally
and not update again.

Kind Regards

Michael Mandl
"

First part of answer isn't much of help (I'm on 10/10 Mbps connection) but second shall help avoid damage, but not the problem. Will see later today.

Thanks for sharing the above. The first part makes me wonder if they still haven't fixed the issue described here:
http://denon.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/de...j&p_lva=&p_li=

I don't understand why the above-described Internet issue would make the unit entirely non responsive to almost anything network-related--even LAN-based functions. At this point, mine will not grab a new IP via DHCP (though it still has the one it originally got and even a reset with the network cable unplugged will not make it release it), will not allow me to change network settings, will not allow me to access its web interface, will not connect to the firmware update server, and will not allow me to use the Internet Radio or USB feature. About the only thing I can do, with regards to networking, is ping the unit.

Surely there is a way to flash new firmware to this unit locally via USB or serial...

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #469 of 3927 Old 11-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone else have this issue? I have had the unit for 3 weeks and love the sound and features. All other sources work fine but when I switch to this one to listen to internet radio the GUI is unreadable - I use the display on the panel to fumble through searching for stations. Also, I have the Hdmi control on and tried it in the off position but is blurry either way. Any suggestions besides sending back - issues with yam 765 i bought in June which is why I bought this one!
post #470 of 3927 Old 11-14-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.m. View Post

At this point, mine will not grab a new IP via DHCP (though it still has the one it originally got and even a reset with the network cable unplugged will not make it release it)

Well, if it were me I would do the following:

1. Look at the back of the receiver to determine your MAC address
2. Unplug the receiver
3. Log into your router (likely 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
4. Depending on your router (mine is Network Settings) you should have the ability to revoke the IP address assigned. Select revoke for the MAC address from step 1.
5. Plug in the receiver and see if it is reassigned an IP address.
6. Report back to let us know the results

BTW, I reserve an IP address for my 3310 which allows me to easily bookmark it in Firefox. Also available in Network settings. (D-Link)

- John
post #471 of 3927 Old 11-15-2009, 01:17 PM

I have an OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray disc player in which I want it to handle all of the video processing. What do I need to turn off or what settings do I need to change (i.e. Video Convert, i/p Scaler, Resolution, Progressive Mode, etc.) in the Denon AVR-3310CI for the OPPO to do this? Thanks for the help.
post #472 of 3927 Old 11-15-2009, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
turn the i/p scaler OFF

the video conversion needs to stay on I think to generate the GUI, but that won't affect the HDMI passthrough. if you are paranoid and willing to give up the GUI and graphic overlays (e.g. volume) you can turn that off also.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #473 of 3927 Old 11-16-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Reznor View Post

I have an OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray disc player in which I want it to handle all of the video processing. What do I need to turn off or what settings do I need to change (i.e. Video Convert, i/p Scaler, Resolution, Progressive Mode, etc.) in the Denon AVR-3310CI for the OPPO to do this? Thanks for the help.

If you set the Oppo output resolution to the desired output resolution that the Denon will be inputting into your TV then the Denon should not be doing any video processing if that is not good enough and you thing the Denon is still doing some processing then as Batpig said you can shut off the video processing but you will loose the gui output from the Denon on the TV.
post #474 of 3927 Old 11-16-2009, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGHUNTER View Post

Anyone else have this issue? I have had the unit for 3 weeks and love the sound and features. All other sources work fine but when I switch to this one to listen to internet radio the GUI is unreadable - I use the display on the panel to fumble through searching for stations. Also, I have the Hdmi control on and tried it in the off position but is blurry either way. Any suggestions besides sending back - issues with yam 765 i bought in June which is why I bought this one!

Just installed Monoprice hdmi splitter to run to LCD and Projector. Net radio GUI now working fine.
post #475 of 3927 Old 11-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks guys for the information... Batpig, I've downloaded your Denon-to-English dictionary, it will come in handy!
post #476 of 3927 Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 AM

Just wondering if anyone has updated to the 3310 from the 2807? I am a little worried about losing the MultEQ XT. I really would like the network functions, HD radio, increased HDMI inputs, Audyssey Dynamic Volume + EQ. I am also worried my speakers are not up to the job (KEF KHT2005.2).
post #477 of 3927 Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
that seems contradictory. If your speakers aren't even "up to the job" why would you care about the subtle difference between MultEQ and MultEQ XT?

the 3310 is essentially the same as your 2807 in "core" performance, it's the direct descendant, similar size and weight, similar amp specs. If you think your speakers sound good with the 2807 they will still sound good with the 3310. If anything, the gains you will get from Dynamic EQ/Volume on those tiny speakers will probably outweight any loss from XT to regular MultEQ.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #478 of 3927 Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Thank you for the response batbig. I agree it is a contradiction. I am worried that my setup sounds better then expeted due to the MultEQ XT since it is a funny room (open on the right, fireplace with brick mantle and built in book cases on the left, huge window at the back). I think you are right the Dyncmic EQ/Volume will get compensate for the MultEQ XT loss. Since a lot of people have a similar setup (2807/987 with the Kef 2005.2) I thought someone might have done the upgrade and could comment on it.
post #479 of 3927 Old 11-17-2009, 02:38 PM

Updated firmware today with no issues. Took about 15 minutes.

Just wanting to add another "everything's ok" post to the list, since we tend to only hear about it when it goes wrong...
post #480 of 3927 Old 11-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Yesterday I updated my 3310 with the new firmware. After the update there is no sound in the speakers when turning the receiver on from standby.

The input is connected via HDMI to my cable box. Switching sound mode (stereo, prologic, neo dts, etc) one time will bring back the sound until the receiver is put in standby again. It seems to be a HDMI issue as turning the receiver on with FM radio as input delivers sound without any problems.

Has anyone seen this problem on the new firmware?

BTW is it possible to download the old firmware from Denon and apply it on the receiver?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page