** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > ** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread
dbrunodna's Avatar dbrunodna 03:01 PM 12-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK2 View Post

Why not just try it and judge for yourself?

Was hoping to save some time flipping back and fourth. I know these things are so subjective...

batpig's Avatar batpig 05:43 PM 12-04-2009
you don't need to use an analog input, the new '10 models can process digital video (and in fact the performance will be better that way)

the best option is if the Dish box can be set to "native" or something equivalent where each channel is delivered unprocessed in its original resolution. then the VP in the Denon is using the "raw" material to do its processing.
mothbhai's Avatar mothbhai 08:21 PM 12-04-2009
Hi. I have had the 3310 for about a month now. I have gone through 2 firmware updates - without any trouble ... and in general they took 30 mins or less. I am in Singapore, and my 3310 is connected via a Dlink 5 port switch to a Linksys 610 router.

There is one problem - I have noticed that sometimes quite randomly, the audio blanks out. This has happened while playing back TV recordings from my HTPC (connected via DVI-HDMI for video and optical for audio), and also while playing music in the Network mode from my Dlink 323 NAS drive. To get the audio back, I just have to press the mode button again (for example, if I am playing from the NAS, I just press the Net button) and it comes back again. So far its merely annoying, but I am worried that this may be a major fault.

Has anyone else faced this problem? Should I call Denon support and/or take the unit back for a replacement?
dbrunodna's Avatar dbrunodna 10:04 PM 12-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

you don't need to use an analog input, the new '10 models can process digital video (and in fact the performance will be better that way)

the best option is if the Dish box can be set to "native" or something equivalent where each channel is delivered unprocessed in its original resolution. then the VP in the Denon is using the "raw" material to do its processing.

Unfortunately I can only choose 480i,480p,720p,1080i under the resolution, then I can also choose aspect ratio of 4:3 or 16:9. I think once the signal comes in from the actual dish, it's decoded anyway, so you are choosing an output straight from the decoder. I can see however if I set it to 1080i over HDMI I do get processing up to 1080p. Thanks for the clarification on this. I must have confused this with the PReP function that is missing on the ABT chip in these mid range Denons.

So far with the video processing on I am detecting what looks like a slight stutter on faster moving objects. I don't know if the technical term for this is "judder" or not, however objects look like they are moving a bit more freely with the processing off. Anyone notice this? I am using a 65"V10 panny.
dbrunodna's Avatar dbrunodna 10:51 PM 12-04-2009
Okay, so I've spent the past 3-4 hours trying to troubleshoot this and I am at a dead end. I have successfully networked the receiver. I have an internet connection since firmware updates and radio streaming works fine. I updated WMP to the latest version, set it up for sharing, etc. I can see the denon receiver in WMP11 and it has a green check on it, indicating I am sharing my library. Problem is when I choose media server on the Denon, I get nothing but an empty folder! Am I supposed to put these files somewhere special? I've tried playlists, sync lists, now playing list, nothing seems to show up on the receiver and from all indications the PC end is configured correctly. Any ideas?

I can also access the receiver from a webpage. Something I missed the first time around, but it seems to be connected properly.
mjclifford's Avatar mjclifford 08:42 AM 12-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclifford View Post

Anybody?

Can anybody shed any clarity about the Web GUI? Pull down list boxes are a few characters wide (see pic). There's some relationship between Memory and Preset that I can't fathom. It takes hundreds of clicks on the 'v' to get to the stations beginning with 'W'. Character Search plum doesn't work.

What am I missing?

Any help appreciated.

mjclifford
LL
shanmike's Avatar shanmike 11:58 AM 12-05-2009
Hey gang,

batpig (or anyone with similar issue you've resolved), just finished setting up my 3310 per your guidelines (thank God for those, lol) and I have a situation I just can't seem to figure, regarding global vs input specific for subwoofer level.

I run the following gear:

Bell ExpressVu HD PVR 9242 (the Canadian cousin to the Dish VIP722).

Panasonic Blu Ray BD-55

These are both functioning properly. Issue is that the base is not as pronounced on the PVR, and I would like to boost the channel a little. Fine, but I can't seem to do it as an Input specific boost, only global.

batpig, your comment in the Denon to English dictionary is:

Quote:

There are two ways to change the speaker level volumes:
1. to change the speaker levels GLOBALLY to something different than what Audyssey set, go into MANUAL SETUP > SPEAKER SETUP > CHANNEL LEVEL and cycle through the test tones and change whatever you wants. When you hit "OK/ENTER" at the end, this will now reset everything to these channel levels you have manually set up.
2. to change the speaker levels "on the fly" while watching program material, use the "CH LEVEL" or "CH SELECT" button on the remote to cycle through the various speaker channels and then you can bump them up/down as needed. For example, if you find the dialogue is too low, you can just bump up the center a bit.

However, these are BOTH global settings, correct?

When viewing HD programming, the only Surround Parameters available to me seem to be DD PLII or DTS NEO:6, and those are the only 2 formats that DON'T allow for LFE adjustment.

Maybe it's just me in information overload, but I'm stuck on this one.

Any takers??

Thanks gang,

Mike
batpig's Avatar batpig 02:31 PM 12-05-2009
yes, they are both "global" settings. Denon's new '10 models no longer store speaker volumes separately for each surround mode. On your 3310, you have one global set of speaker volumes for multichannel modes and then you can set separate volumes for 2CH modes using the "2CH Direct/Stereo" menu.
SteveK2's Avatar SteveK2 03:20 PM 12-05-2009
Was setting up for some holiday music for tree-trimming later 2nite. When I switch audio to "Direct Pure" mode, the AVR's front panel blanks out. Everything works fine -- including the GUI....its just the AVR's front panel display. It returns to normal when I switch Direct Pure mode off.

Using an Directv signal via HDMI.

Anyone else see this? It didn't happen in the previous (original) firmware, but I upgraded a couple of nights ago (which went smoothly BTW).
JChin's Avatar JChin 03:32 PM 12-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK2 View Post

Was setting up for some holiday music for tree-trimming later 2nite. When I switch audio to "Direct Pure" mode, the AVR's front panel blanks out. Everything works fine -- including the GUI....its just the AVR's front panel display. It returns to normal when I switch Direct Pure mode off.

Using an Directv signal via HDMI.

Anyone else see this? It didn't happen in the previous (original) firmware, but I upgraded a couple of nights ago (which went smoothly BTW).

See page 70 in OM
Note:
When in the PURE DIRECT mode, the GUI menu display is not displayed and the display on the main unit is turned off.
batpig's Avatar batpig 03:59 PM 12-05-2009
yes, that is normal operation. you should read through the audio section of my FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audio

quoting myself from the FAQ:

Quote:

Also, please note that if you select PURE DIRECT, the display and video output will be shut off. This is the way it is supposed to function, so don’t freak out if the display shuts off when you hit “PURE DIRECT”.

shanmike's Avatar shanmike 04:17 PM 12-05-2009
Quote:

yes, they are both "global" settings. Denon's new '10 models no longer store speaker volumes separately for each surround mode. On your 3310, you have one global set of speaker volumes for multichannel modes and then you can set separate volumes for 2CH modes using the "2CH Direct/Stereo" menu.

Thank you.
SteveK2's Avatar SteveK2 04:29 PM 12-05-2009
Quote:

yes, that is normal operation. you should read through the audio section of my FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audio

quoting myself from the FAQ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

See page 70 in OM
Note:
When in the PURE DIRECT mode, the GUI menu display is not displayed and the display on the main unit is turned off.

Thanks, guys....guess I should RTFM and/or RTFFAQ.
dbrunodna's Avatar dbrunodna 11:16 PM 12-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrunodna View Post

Okay, so I've spent the past 3-4 hours trying to troubleshoot this and I am at a dead end. I have successfully networked the receiver. I have an internet connection since firmware updates and radio streaming works fine. I updated WMP to the latest version, set it up for sharing, etc. I can see the denon receiver in WMP11 and it has a green check on it, indicating I am sharing my library. Problem is when I choose media server on the Denon, I get nothing but an empty folder! Am I supposed to put these files somewhere special? I've tried playlists, sync lists, now playing list, nothing seems to show up on the receiver and from all indications the PC end is configured correctly. Any ideas?

I can also access the receiver from a webpage. Something I missed the first time around, but it seems to be connected properly.

Anyone? For the life of me I cannot see anything but an empty folder on my Denon!!! Am I supposed to put my files in a specific spot??
jeffbar's Avatar jeffbar 11:53 PM 12-05-2009
My problem is exactly the same as yours, dbrun. I can get Internet radio, but my the AVR cannot see what's on my pc even though I appear connected. I plan to keep working on it, though it's a lower priority. I will post if I figure anything out.
dbrunodna's Avatar dbrunodna 09:34 AM 12-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbar View Post

My problem is exactly the same as yours, dbrun. I can get Internet radio, but my the AVR cannot see what's on my pc even though I appear connected. I plan to keep working on it, though it's a lower priority. I will post if I figure anything out.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7? From what I can tell the implementation of WMP11 media server in XP is quite buggy. It was actually released for Vista. I am using XP home edition and can't get it to work. I rolled back WMP to a previous version then reinstalled WMP11. Now I can't even get the appropriate services for the sharing to run. I'm not convinced it's a Denon problem as I suspect it's a windows XP problem. I still have webcontrol and streaming abilities on the Denon, just now my PC isn't presenting the media server properly.
jeffbar's Avatar jeffbar 11:14 AM 12-06-2009
I am using Vista and Windows Media Player 11. Everything is all up to date. My Denon 3310 can see my laptop and even one subfolder in the Pictures Folder of my laptop. Yet nothing shows up when I have the Denon look in the subfolder even though I know I have pictures in it.

My main desktop saw the Denon immediately when I connected it to my network. The desktop does not show up on the Denon Media Server GUI screen, however, even though there is a Denon icon on my desktop NETWORK page.

On the same NETWORK page I can see the Xbox media extender, DirecTV media share and other media folders that I have set to share.

I suppose I could use the Xbox to stream my PCs and photos but I would prefer to keep everything centralized in the Denon.
dbrunodna's Avatar dbrunodna 09:27 PM 12-06-2009
I have a laptop which connects to my network wirelessly and if I engage sharing on it the Denon sees the files just fine. This confirms that my router and actual network components are working. The only difference I can see so far between this laptop and my desktop is my desktop is running windows XP home edition and my laptop is XP professional. The denon manual just states it's compatible with windows XP, but does specify any particular flavor. Anyone here running windows XP home edition and use their computer as a media server?
dbrunodna's Avatar dbrunodna 11:12 PM 12-06-2009
FINALLY I FIGURED IT OUT!!! It wasn't the OS as I previously thought, but rather a hardware thing. My whole house is networked to a d-link switch inside a central panel which then provides a single cable input to my router. This was wired this way so all the ethernet jacks in every room would be "live" all the time, while still allowing the router to be mounted outside the panel for the wireless antennas. Well it turns out this D-link switch has a software interface with tons of settings in there and it was basically acting like a firewall to any other computers plugged into it (anything plugged into the wall jacks.) I disabled a bunch of security items and now I am up and running 100%.

So all I have to say is if you're having issues with networking, check to make sure ALL your wires are going straight into your router with no switches in-between. If you're still having problems, check every single router setting for UPnP, multicast and anything related to either connection sharing, or connection blocking. Took a weekend to figure it out, but now I have the jewels to put my 3310 through the paces.

BTW, regarding the video processing through HDMI, I can detect some stuttering in movements on my 65V10. I used the PS3 home background with the ribbon on it that looks like smoke moving up and down. If I disable video processing on the denon, the movement is a lot smoother. Bummer but what do I care it's still 1080p.
jeffbar's Avatar jeffbar 09:16 AM 12-07-2009
Interesting turn of events, dbrun. I actually got my Vista-run laptop viewable thru the Denon last night. Added some folders to the Windows Media library, enabled auto sharing with any new device connected to my network and clicked the Media Changes menu item. Presto.

Tried the same thing on my Vista desktop but still no luck. However, the Denon is connected to a basic $15 D-Link 5-port switch (along with my Xbox, Blu-Ray player and DirectV DVR). The D-Link then connects to my router.

I think the D-Link switch shows up on my NETWORK page, so I will have to check its settings.

The settings in my main router seem to be set properly. UPnP is on but otherwise I don't have any blocking features enabled. Let me know if your UPnP is on.

I never thought the D-Link switch would be a problem because it doesn't require setup. I updated the Denon firmware without a hitch. Thanks for the update on your situation.
dbrunodna's Avatar dbrunodna 08:31 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbar View Post

Interesting turn of events, dbrun. I actually got my Vista-run laptop viewable thru the Denon last night. Added some folders to the Windows Media library, enabled auto sharing with any new device connected to my network and clicked the Media Changes menu item. Presto.

Tried the same thing on my Vista desktop but still no luck. However, the Denon is connected to a basic $15 D-Link 5-port switch (along with my Xbox, Blu-Ray player and DirectV DVR). The D-Link then connects to my router.

I think the D-Link switch shows up on my NETWORK page, so I will have to check its settings.

The settings in my main router seem to be set properly. UPnP is on but otherwise I don't have any blocking features enabled. Let me know if your UPnP is on.

I never thought the D-Link switch would be a problem because it doesn't require setup. I updated the Denon firmware without a hitch. Thanks for the update on your situation.

Yes I have UPnP enabled in my router. I am using an old Linksys WRT54G. For the D-link switch I set it to have a static IP address. Then under a tab called "switching" there was a setting for "block unknown multicast request" which I had to disable. There was also a security tab which was set for authentication using RADIUS. I set that to "local". (whatever that means.) I don't know if either of those settings mean a darn thing to the Denon, but between those three things all is well now.
ANSEK's Avatar ANSEK 09:33 PM 12-07-2009
I am a long time Denon man having purchased a 2801 almost 10 years ago and nearly buying a 5805 for the primary setup before deciding on an Anthem D2. I was forced to get an HK AVR340 four years ago when I added surround sound to my secondary setup in my bedroom. I am looking to upgrade my HK with the 3310. I will connect the 3310 to my Pioneer 5020FD via HDMI and feed it from a DTV HR20 via HDMI, DTV HR21 via HDMI, Sammy BD-P1200 via HDMI, and Xbox 360 via component. My primary desires are on screen volume display over HDMI from any source (lame I know but with the unit hidden it really changes the experience), HDMI switching, transcoding of all inputs to HDMI, DTS-MA & TrueHD decoding, and LPCM over HDMI.

I've searched through the thread and saw early on there were audio sync issues with some units but with all the problems people are having installing the recent firmware updates I can't see anyone stating the audio sync issues are no more. I'd hate to buy an Onkyo but if there are audio sync issues I'll have to go that route. Can anyone speak to audio sync over HDMI?
jeffbar's Avatar jeffbar 07:43 AM 12-08-2009
After a week of use, I haven't noticed any sync issues with the 3310 acting as my hub. I've connected a Panny Blu-Ray, Xbox, DirecTV DVR and Toshiba LED TV to the Denon using HDMI 1.3a.

Toshiba and Denon both have audio sync settings, each of which is turned on. Not sure if that matters, but again, no problems in my case
peters62's Avatar peters62 07:51 AM 12-08-2009
I have not had any audio sync issues either but my only real hd source is my Tvix 6500 over hdmi. And the 3310 does display audio volume changes over hdmi and it does convert all sources both digital and analog to hdmi with DTS-MA and TrueHD I am not sure about LPCM since I have no source with that to check.
dbrunodna's Avatar dbrunodna 09:34 AM 12-08-2009
FWIW, you can also move the volume indicator to the top or bottom of the TV. I found this little feature useful because I am mounted up high over a fireplace.
jeffbar's Avatar jeffbar 10:46 AM 12-08-2009
I've tried almost everything and changed almost every setting in my netgear admin page, but no luck with my desktop PC. Very odd.

When I hooked up the Denon to my dumb D-Link switch and connected to my router, Denon icons popped up on both my wirelessly-connected laptop and my desktop. Yet the Denon only sees the photos and music stored on my laptop. It doesn't recognize the desktop.

My D-Link switch has no admin page, just an IP and MAC address. It's supposed to just pass through signals. Since I can use the Denon to connect to Rhapsody, I know it's accessing the Internet thru my router connected to my main desktop. Why it won't recognize the desktop as a media server is the big mystery.

One possible problem is that I have an old Westell modem from Verizon that I also connect to my desktop. The Westell has been turned into a bridge and then connects to the Netgear router, which has superior wireless coverage. Perhaps the Westell is the problem.

If I ever discover a fix, I'll report back. I don't need networking for music since I have a wireless Logitech Squeezebox Duet, but it still would be nice to have full networking use. Sometimes I forget to bring my Squeezebox controller when I go down to my HT room (in an above-ground basement). Hardwire connections are obviously better, too.

The ability to view photos from the desktop would appeal greatly to my wife and make her more approving of my HT getup. That's probably the biggest reason I would like networking to work! (-:
dbrunodna's Avatar dbrunodna 12:43 PM 12-08-2009
Is there a possibility that you can only share one media library at a time with the Denon and WMP11 media share? You probably already tried this, but reboot everything with just the desktop connected. Perhaps once media share is sharing with a device, you cannot have multiple instances trying to share the same connection.

Your situation sounds an awful lot like what I was experiencing. Wireless works okay because it's talking straight to the router. The wired route is behind your switch and giving you problems. l don't know what protocol Denon uses for the networking, but perhaps something that needs to pass through the switch isn't supported? Just for grins I would try and bypass that switch to see if it works directly.
SteveK2's Avatar SteveK2 06:19 PM 12-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSEK View Post

I am a long time Denon man having purchased a 2801 almost 10 years ago and nearly buying a 5805 for the primary setup before deciding on an Anthem D2. I was forced to get an HK AVR340 four years ago when I added surround sound to my secondary setup in my bedroom. I am looking to upgrade my HK with the 3310. I will connect the 3310 to my Pioneer 5020FD via HDMI and feed it from a DTV HR20 via HDMI, DTV HR21 via HDMI, Sammy BD-P1200 via HDMI, and Xbox 360 via component. My primary desires are on screen volume display over HDMI from any source (lame I know but with the unit hidden it really changes the experience), HDMI switching, transcoding of all inputs to HDMI, DTS-MA & TrueHD decoding, and LPCM over HDMI.

I've searched through the thread and saw early on there were audio sync issues with some units but with all the problems people are having installing the recent firmware updates I can't see anyone stating the audio sync issues are no more. I'd hate to buy an Onkyo but if there are audio sync issues I'll have to go that route. Can anyone speak to audio sync over HDMI?

Have not noticed any lip-sync issues running DTV HR21 and LG BH200 BR/HDDVD player via HDMI. Have upgraded firmware to latest available without a hitch. Have not run into the 'helicopter' sound reported by others on the LG disc player. Sound is awesome - and I haven't even run Audyssey yet. Flexibility and features are top notch. Happy camper so far.
jeffbar's Avatar jeffbar 06:46 PM 12-08-2009
It's a lost cause, dbrun. I hate giving up because I usually can resolve any computer or networking issue. This is taking too much time for an unessential feature, however. I can stick my wife's photos on my laptop or a USB stick and my music is available thru a wireless media server, as I mentioned earlier.

I did just about everything, including disconnecting my laptop from the Denon media share server. Upgraded my router firmware, fiddled with every possible setting, even connected my Ethernet cable directly to the Denon instead of the dumb switch.

Another odd thing. I can see what's on my DirecTV DVR, which also connects to the switch, via the Denon media server. I can't access the DVR files because they are all videos, but I can see the names of the things I have recorded.

I would guess there is something wrong with my router or more likely the settings on my Vista desktop computer. Guess I will just wait until all these electronics companies figure out seamless means of connecting media. Right now it's early stages and there are all kinds of complications. If it doesn't work right away, chances are it won't work easy at all.
ANSEK's Avatar ANSEK 07:44 PM 12-08-2009
Jeffbar, peters62, dbrunodna, and SteveK2. Thank you for your feedback which has boosted my confidence in this unit. I will place my order in the next couple of days.
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop