** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3925 Old 12-29-2009, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought and installed the 3310CI about a month ago. Everything was working and I watched six or seven Blue Ray DVDs w/o incident. The connection was HDMI from the player, through the Denon, to the TV.

Halfway through a movie last night, I heard a click, the video went blank, and the Denon logo appeared on the screen while the audio continued. I reset everything (full power off). No go. It was a miracle that I could interrupt the DVD upon booting and get to the setup menu to convert to Component.

It's close to the 30 day period by 6th Ave from the purchase date. I have no clue why this thing failed. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Also, I have not attempted a firmware update, for obvious reasons. I do, however, live within 5 miles of the regional repair facility.

mjclifford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3925 Old 12-29-2009, 04:54 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirl View Post

Could someone just tell me if it's a quick 5 second fix?

As JChin suggested ... it's the HDMI-CEC setting in your TV (Sharp - Aquos Link, Samsung - Anynet+, Panasonic - Viera Link) that usually results in this issue occurring. Set it to OFF. If you don't have one of those brands, look for a setting with the word "link" in it and set it to OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post

I do have a question, though. According to the manual, I can do surround back OR bi-amp the front speakers, but not both, however this amp has surround back posts AND front B posts. Since it's passive bi-amp, it seems to me that I could run front A and front B to biamp and still use surround back. Is this any different?

The "A" and "B" speaker posts feed off the same amp so connecting them would result in bi-wiring. As you indicate, using the surround back posts for the passive bi-amping with either the "A" or "B" speaker posts only results in passive bi-amping and generally doesn't do much.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #723 of 3925 Old 12-29-2009, 05:04 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclifford View Post

It's close to the 30 day period by 6th Ave from the purchase date. I have no clue why this thing failed. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Also, I have not attempted a firmware update, for obvious reasons. I do, however, live within 5 miles of the regional repair facility.

It could very well simply be a problem with that particular BD. Have you tried playing another BD to see if the same problem results? Do you have another BD player you can use to test that particular BD to see if you get the same result? Also, if you're concerned with doing the firmware update on your own, why not just drop it off and get it done by the repair facility? They might even be able to turn it around in a few days depending on their schedule.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #724 of 3925 Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Welcome whirl, most likely the reason your AVR is returning to TV input is because you have the TV's HDMI-CEC feature turned ON. Try turning that to OFF and see if that helps.

Jchin, Jdsmoothie: Thanks! that did the trick. Receiver goes to the last used source. I was starting to get really annoyed. I will miss the tv's own info being flashed on the screen, but is definitely worth the trade off.

Again, thanks guys!
post #725 of 3925 Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 AM

Liked: 22
Sor, I have my front speakers bi-amped to the 3310CI but I havent done any comparisons. My last AVR was biwired, so I had extra some extra speaker wire to bi-amp. Figured it couldn't hurt. 7.1 is not practical in my HT room.
post #726 of 3925 Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM

Liked: 12
I'm considering purchasing the Denon 3310 receiver to replace my 9 year old Marantz SR-7000. I'm currently having audio lip synching problems on a handful of certain TV channels with my Samsung LN52B750 LCD TV (doesn't matter if I use the TV audio or the receiver audio - both are coming from a cable box) and sometimes with my Blu-ray player (Panasonic BD-80). Not sure what the culprit is. Does this receiver have an audio lip synching option to help with this problem when I want to run both the audio and video (via HDMI) for TV viewing and Blu-ray watching through the receiver? My Marantz receiver, of course, doesn't do any of the new audio codecs (which I now want) and does not have any audio synching option. Thanks for any help!
post #727 of 3925 Old 12-29-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post

GUI Overlay Stopped working, help!

After lurking around here I bought a 3310CI. I connected my DVD and PS3 via component to the AVR, the AVR via component to the TV. All GUI was fine. I connected the HDMI cable for audio for my PS3. My GUI still worked. I connected my PVR via HDMI to the AVR, video blinks from AVR. I disconnected the HDMI from the PVR, only TOS link to AVR from it now, and I lost the GUI from the AVR when PS3 selected.

Someone here mentioned he bought some card with HDMI inputs to get around this problem. I'm considering doing the same but the Denon manual says I should be getting the GUI. I played with the converter/-i/p settings as recommended by batpig's web page but still no joy. I even risked a firmware update and still no GUI. It seems the GUI never displays at 1080i (even when specified on one of the video out sections).

Did I miss something? Will this just not work? I'm planning to call Denon tomorrow also.

Carlos - did you ever get an answer from Denon? I have the same problem...no Color GUI (although I can view a DOS-like b/w gui just fine) I also have a diplay that only goes to 1080i.
post #728 of 3925 Old 12-30-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

It could very well simply be a problem with that particular BD. Have you tried playing another BD to see if the same problem results? Do you have another BD player you can use to test that particular BD to see if you get the same result? Also, if you're concerned with doing the firmware update on your own, why not just drop it off and get it done by the repair facility? They might even be able to turn it around in a few days depending on their schedule.

I tried multiple disks two nights ago and could not get it going. Also tried a total power down. Same situation.

I called Denon last night. They walked me through what was called a "Total HDMI Handshake" routine, which I'll forward later today. That worked, but it didn't explain why the thing bombed out 1 hour into a DVD.

As you mentioned, the Denon guy said I could take it to the region center rather than ship it to Jersey, so there are a few more options than some have. He did, however, say that the firmware upgrade wouldn't help or hurt this particular situation.

Thanks,

mjclifford
post #729 of 3925 Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclifford View Post

I tried multiple disks two nights ago and could not get it going. Also tried a total power down. Same situation.

I called Denon last night. They walked me through what was called a "Total HDMI Handshake" routine, which I'll forward later today. That worked, but it didn't explain why the thing bombed out 1 hour into a DVD.

As you mentioned, the Denon guy said I could take it to the region center rather than ship it to Jersey, so there are a few more options than some have. He did, however, say that the firmware upgrade wouldn't help or hurt this particular situation.

Thanks,

mjclifford

As promised, here's the procedure for the HDMI hard reset.

1. While all HDMI devices are on, disconnect cable from TV
2. Turn off power to all devices
3. Disconnect all video/HDMI feeds at both ends [NOTE where they go back]
4. Wait 2 minutes
5. Reconnect all cables
6. Apply power to TV, then Receiver, then DVD player

Hope this helps other people. Note that this does not explain why everything bonked one hour into a movie.

mjclifford
post #730 of 3925 Old 12-31-2009, 11:28 AM

I recently have purchached the AVR-3310.
I want to control it with a home automation system.
I have also a dreambox satellite receiver. I can control it with HTML codes like:
http:// ipadress /web/powerstate?

It will return with e2instandby>true or e2instandby>false

Can I do something similar with the AVR-3310?

Peter
post #731 of 3925 Old 12-31-2009, 03:35 PM

Well, I am a member of the family now. I picked up a AVR3310ci to replace my trusted AVR5700. Hope I am not disappointed. Haven't had a chance to set it up yet, as it snowed today, and I had to do some plowing. Really afraid that the sound quality will not be equal to my 5700 here at home. Will see I guess. Will let you all know when I get it set up. Actually got it for $1099 at BB on sale.
post #732 of 3925 Old 12-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

I just spent an hour and a half waiting and working with Harmony support trying to get the batpig Denon commands copied to my account. After all my efforts the idiots sent me instructions to learn commands. I don't have it in me to do it all again. Things like this make me miss my Pronto Pro NG.

anseK®
My DVD Collection

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
post #733 of 3925 Old 12-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

On a separate note, I just ran Audyssey for the first time on my 3310 and it made a big positive difference. The sound is warmer, the surrounds are more lively, the stage is wider, the sub while lowered in volume by the process actually seems more prominent and considerably less boomy but very solid. I did have to go back in and change the crossover settings for the surrounds because Audyssey set the crossover point to 40hz which is much to low.

anseK®
My DVD Collection

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
post #734 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 AM

Hi!

Quite long thread... even though I've read most of it already, I still have couple of questions. So, the setup before the questions...

Like many, I want to listen to music and watch movies. However, music is more important at this moment I guess. The music will come from DVD/Blu-ray/Mac using S/PDIF. The main speakers will be high quality and as they go down to 30Hz, I will not be buying a sub at all, nor the center.

1) Is 4.0 possible (only large fronts and small rear)?
2) Any idea about the power consumption and heat if I'm using active speakers (and not the internal amp)? Thinking about cabinet here...
3) I like the idea of Audyssey to maybe enhance the surround speakers that will be from different make than the much higher quality front speakers. However, can I listen to (stereo) music bypassing the Audyssey completely? Can I still have Audyssey for surround sound?

I'm trying to decide between Denon AVR-3310 and Rotel RSP-1570. The Rotel doesn't have Audyssey at all, but many have said that the sound quality is superb. I can't audition these side by side.

Thanks for all info and comments!
post #735 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 09:12 AM
585-645-1006

1. Nope. Either 3.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0
2. Nope. Although Denon's barely run warm and small exhaust fans work well if fully enclosed.
3. Yup. Audyssey can be turned off if desired for each input. Also in either Direct or Pure Direct modes, all processing is bypassed.

post #736 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

1. Nope. Either 3.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0
2. Nope. Although Denon's barely run warm and small exhaust fans work well if fully enclosed.
3. Yup. Audyssey can be turned off if desired for each input. Also in either Direct or Pure Direct modes, all processing is bypassed.

Are you sure about 4.0 not being possible? Admittedly I don't own 3310 but I do own 3803 and there in speaker setup you can set Center channel to off and then sound for center channel will be split between L/R front speakers.
post #737 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 10:03 AM
585-645-1006

I was responding to the OP specifically. He has a center channel.

post #738 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:

I was responding to the OP specifically. He has a center channel.

I must have misunderstood. Were you responding to Habahaba's post from 10:54am? He said he doesn't have a center channel and doesn't plan to buy it.
post #739 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 10:27 AM

Batpig,

I recently ran Auddysey and got a "phase" message for my my right front speaker. I have a 5. 1 Orb audio system. When I was running Audyssey setup the test tones were very low for that speaker. I checked the wiring and it is correct. I called Denon and found out my router was too close and then moved it. Ran audyssey again and the test tones were like the other ones but I still get the phase message. Does this mean the polarity is wrong on the speaker? What are your suggestions?

Also, since I ran Audyssey, I hear a popping sound from my left rear speaker when I switch channels. Could you please let me know where that problem is coming from?

thanks
post #740 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe007 View Post

Are you sure about 4.0 not being possible? Admittedly I don't own 3310 but I do own 3803 and there in speaker setup you can set Center channel to off and then sound for center channel will be split between L/R front speakers.

I take 4.0 as maybe then

Yes, I'm hoping not to have to buy a center speaker as it is quite inconvenient to position in my current setup (and as I feel that I don't need it if the 3310 can indeed split it to the front speakers).

However, if it turns out not to be possible, then I have yet another question... can I mix active front L/R speakers (from pre-outs) and passive surround (rear and center)? Then I would have more possibilities for the center speaker.

I know that I should have similar speakers all around, however that is where I hope that Audyssey will help in correcting that situation in surround sound setup.

Oh, thanks to all for the quick answers!
post #741 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habahaba View Post

I take 4.0 as maybe then

Just to be sure... am I right in assuming that if I don't have a sub (there must be some setting where I can indicate this) the 3310 will direct also the LFE to the main front speakers (large)?
post #742 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Just to be sure... am I right in assuming that if I don't have a sub (there must be some setting where I can indicate this) the 3310 will direct also the LFE to the main front speakers (large)?

I am positive my 3803 does just that. Just download user guide for 3310 from Denon webisite - it should all be explained there. For 3803 there are several options related to that.

And one more thing related to Center channel - I tried to set it off to direct center channel to L/R front and for movies it's just not the same. I mean something is lacking. I've had 5.1 setup for 15 years.
post #743 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 01:41 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I must have misunderstood. Were you responding to Habahaba's post from 10:54am? He said he doesn't have a center channel and doesn't plan to buy it.

Nope, I actually misunderstood. I missed the no center and read large fronts to mean all 3 LCR and small "rear" to be singular.

post #744 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 01:44 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion, but, yes, it is possible, 4.0 that is (2/2). When you run AUTO SETUP, the Denon will automatically set sub and center to NO, mains to LARGE, and side surrounds to SMALL (just remember to connect to the SL and SR, rather than the surround rear jacks as some folks have done). The LFE will be directed to the front mains.

post #745 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 01:47 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

And one more thing related to Center channel - I tried to set it off to direct center channel to L/R front and for movies it's just not the same. I mean something is lacking. I've had 5.1 setup for 15 years.

Did you run AUTO SETUP again? If not, when you changed the speaker setup and set Center to NONE, Audyssey was turned OFF.

post #746 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 01:50 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Guru View Post

Ran audyssey again and the test tones were like the other ones but I still get the phase message. Does this mean the polarity is wrong on the speaker? What are your suggestions?

As is states in your Owner's manual, as long as you've checked that the wiring is correct, then just ignore the phase error and say "SKIP". Phase errors are common on several brands of speakers.

post #747 of 3925 Old 01-01-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion, but, yes, it is possible, 4.0 that is (2/2). When you run AUTO SETUP, the Denon will automatically set sub and center to NO, mains to LARGE, and side surrounds to SMALL (just remember to connect to the SL and SR, rather than the surround rear jacks as some folks have done). The LFE will be directed to the front mains.

Thanks!! And thanks for Joeschmoe007 also for the tip about downloading the manual - I'm reading it and I must say that it is not the most clear manual ever For instance, I could not find that it would actually say that it directs the LFE to the front mains (i.e. it doesn't say what happens to the LFE if I set sub to none), but it must do it so. At least many others do it so.

After reading the comments about the network features and Batpig's comments about the 2310 + dedicated network appliance instead of 3310... I must ask, if there is a large difference in the sound quality from 2310 to 3310? I think the only real difference is the AL24, which of course is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
post #748 of 3925 Old 01-02-2010, 09:49 AM

Hey All,
SO I am setting up my AVR 3310ci. I have a Series 3 running HDMI and an Apple TV running HDMI. I cannot get audio from the ATV, just picture. Series 3 is fine. I have checked connections, HDMI selection is correct. I really want to use the HDMI connection for the ATV and save the optical for another receiver. Any suggestions?
post #749 of 3925 Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 PM

OK, been reading the manual I need some help here

LFE, I can't find any mention what happens to the LFE if I set subwoofer to none. Do I loose LFE signals or what? Has somebody verified that they are mixed to the large front speakers with some test material or something?

Then the Audyssey again I found out that there is a setting called "Byp.L/R" which is probably what I want. However, the other settings are "Audyssey", "Audyssey flat", "manual" and "off". What is the difference between "Audyssey" and "A flat"? And if I select to bypass L/R, to which or what target are the rest of the speakers calibrated to? I'm hoping the L/R curve, but I'm probably wrong.

I also could not find out if I can mix active (L/R) speakers with passive. Does anybody know?

Lastly, the AL24 Plus. Denon brochure leads me to believe that AL24 + is only for 2 channels whereas the advanced AL 24 is multi channel. However, the manual states "AL24 Processing for All Channels". What then is the difference between plus and advanced? And is the plus really worth much (over the 2310 that is)?

Thanks again in advance to all information you can give!
post #750 of 3925 Old 01-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Wow what agreat forum guys, I have a crap load of questions.

First my set up.
I have a new Samsung HD 52'' the works, PS3,HDTV,Paradigm Monitor 3'z speakers (no surround sound speakers just fronts) Velodyne DLS 4000 Sub everything ran with HDMI and now my new 3310ci.

I need some serious help with set up or a pinpoint where to get started. Talk about a crazy reciever! Its like looking at a jumbo jet. I'm so intimidated by this unit. I know I have the speakers set up fine cuz it sounds great but one thing Ive notices is when the volume is all the way off (0 db) I don't get any solid volume till around -45.5 db. Is that normal or should it be very load by then?

Like I said, I won't have a killer surround sound unit till next xmas as I was given the ok from the wife to buy a 6-7k$ unit next year so I guess I'll wait and run my 8 year old Paradigms for now.

What I need from anyone that can help is some step by step set up info. Eg.
Surround Parameter,Audyssey,Auto delay,manual set up,input setup and so on.

On a final note. The one thing Iv'e notices is when I change the channels on my bellexpressview satillite TV my sub will work once in awhile and when playing movies on my PS3 I have no base at all. I also noticed on the front for the 3310 when looking at it, changing the chanal the indication of surround sound will change pending my channel when watching TV. Eg. I just switched to sirius radio on my TV and its just showing 2 front speakers (no sub) so the sub don't work. Then I switched to the Hockey game on TSN its shows all 5 speakers with sub and the sub fires up right away What the hell?

Guys sorry for the long rant but thats just some of the questions. I feel so stupid with this new unit as it looks like a beast! Thanks to all in advance! Cheers
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page