** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3923 Old 07-18-2009, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long day yesterday... I recieved an 890 from UPS and a 3310 from Fedex. The 890 is for the upstairs greatroom (40" Samsung LCD and 3.1 system with PSB Alphas) and the 3310 for the basement home theater with an old 56" Toshiba TV with only component inputs. The system in the basement does have a full 7.1 system of PSB Images. I wanted to get two recievers at the same time to reduce the learning curve for the kids and wife.

I put the 890 in first and figured out the menu system. I have a bunch of inputs up there including (gasp!) a VCR. It was fun setting the scaler functions by input. I ran the first point of the audyssey system but that was all. Even so, I was impressed at how the speakers and sub-blended.

That was just the warm up. I then pulled the packaging on the 3310. I installed my DirecTv DVR, Panasonic BD55 Blu-ray and PS3 with component cables to the 3310. I added HDMI cables with the PS3 and Bluray for just sound (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master) . Since DirecTv doesn't have lossless codecs I just ran an optical cable there. The set up works great, for now, until I upgrade the TV. There was some worry that it would not so I'm happy. I get 1080i video on my 56" TV and I get the 7 ch LPCM from the PS3 and get little blue light to show up with the bluray player. I really like being able to matrix the 5.1 chanel lossless codecs into my back sourounds. I was not able to do that with the 7.1 analog outs on bluray with my old set up.

I also spent some time with the internet features. I have a wireless ethernet bridge with 4-port switch installed in the component stack. It's amazing, I've updated my firmware on the PS3, Bluray and now the reciever all in a week. Internet radio was interesting but its very deep and will take me a while to find stations to which I want to listen. HD radio was impressive. You can toggle through the multi-cast options and get the regular and HD station back to back and there is quite a difference. It wasn't quite what I expected but I was still impressed.

I have not set even the first point on the audyssey for the basement yet. I also have not logged into the AVR from my laptop. All I've really done is assign, delete and rename inputs. Still, everything seems to work so far.

I watched part of Transformers (bluray) on the PS3 upstairs and played with the MultiEQ, Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Vol buttons. I like the first two and I can see the need for the third. I watched part of 5th Element (bluray) downstairs on both the PS3 and Pany BD55. I mostly was playing with the different sound matricies options with the different sound tracks.

Lots more to do. But, I wanted to touch base and let anyone who owns an old TV know that the reciever will accept both HDMI and component and output component to the TV.

-g

I needed to edit to let people know that the GUI overlays on component ONLY if you do not have a HDMI cable attached to that input (even if you are not using the hdmi to hook to your TV). My Sat box hooked up with component and optical will overlay the GUI. My PS3 and Bluray player that are hooked up with component for video and HDMI for sound codecs will blank the screen and show the GUI at a lower resolution. Page 99 in the manual tries to explain this but I'm guessing only batpig could figure out the chart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3923 Old 07-18-2009, 09:13 AM

Sorry for the double post. I thought I'd answer a question about the GUI.

The GUI on the 890(2310) and (990)3310 is basically the same except where additional features are added on the (990)3310. The GUI overlays overtop of the picture on HDMI output and depending on the situation either overlays on the image or blanks out the image and just shows the GUI on the component output. (See edit above).

*edit to fix bad info *
post #63 of 3923 Old 07-18-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
thanks for the great review Greg!

please keep us updated with your impressions, especially sound quality and feature/functionality differences, as I'm sure there are many out there debating whether it is worth the extra $$ for the 3310 vs 2310.

it is good to know that GUI overlay works over component outputs. however, I am pretty sure you can't do any SCALING just doing analog>analog. there is cross conversion (e.g. you can output an S-Video input to the component monitor output) but the resolutions won't change.

also, thanks for verifying the component video + hdmi audio setup, as there have been questions from owners of non-HDMI displays. it's great to know you can connect both HDMI (for audio) and component (for video) and have it run through the Denon, so you can still hear the lossless audio even though you are using component for video.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #64 of 3923 Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Thinking about upgrading my old Denon AVR-3300 to a AVR-3310CI... Can someone who has the 3310 please measure the actual depth for me? The manual puts it at 16 19/64". Does that include the amount that the volume knob (etc.) sticks out (like the similar measurement for my 3300 did)? What is the actual depth measured from back to front of the case (excluding the back connectors, front knobs, etc.)? Thanks!

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #65 of 3923 Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 AM

I guess I'm confused a little bit here. So is Denon not going to come out with a 3810? I've been waiting for the 3808 to be replaced, and so far the reviews for the 3310 tend to sway me back to the 3808. Especially since you can get one right now for $900 pretty easily.
post #66 of 3923 Old 07-20-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The replacement for the 3808 is the 4310. It also has a better video processor in it and cost more. The 3310 is the replacement for the 2809, also with the same video processor in it, also an increase in price.
post #67 of 3923 Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.m. View Post

Thinking about upgrading my old Denon AVR-3300 to a AVR-3310CI... Can someone who has the 3310 please measure the actual depth for me? The manual puts it at 16 19/64". Does that include the amount that the volume knob (etc.) sticks out (like the similar measurement for my 3300 did)? What is the actual depth measured from back to front of the case (excluding the back connectors, front knobs, etc.)? Thanks!

The depth of just the case itself is 14 3/4" (no back connectors, no volume knob). The depth adding in the volume knob (no back connectors) is 15 1/2". I didn't get a chance to pull the entire unit out to measure an overall depth including back connectors and volume knob, but given those 2 measurements, 16 19/64" sounds about right.

- Frank
post #68 of 3923 Old 07-20-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDBoy View Post

I guess I'm confused a little bit here. So is Denon not going to come out with a 3810? I've been waiting for the 3808 to be replaced, and so far the reviews for the 3310 tend to sway me back to the 3808. Especially since you can get one right now for $900 pretty easily.

Yep the new 3310 is just a 2809 with same preamp/amp with addition of networking and ABT 2010 video processing. 2809 list =$1199
3310 list = $1499. Oh and they took away the good remote.

The 3808 history is more involved. It was originally $1599, then bumped up to $1699. (they claim weak dollar)
Then Denon was charging $100 for five in one FW update (adds Audyssey Dynamic Volume and EQ), now with the new 4310 they added ABT 2010 video processing and Audyssey DSX and bingo its $1999!

Oppo Beta Group
post #69 of 3923 Old 07-20-2009, 01:03 PM

I note on the 4310 thread there are some problems with the HD Radio part of the unit...would the 3310 have the same issue?

HD Radio is important to me, which is one reason I have about decided to get the 3310 over other brands, but if there is some kind of major problem with it I'll keep looking around....

Thanks!

Ted
Mesa AZ
post #70 of 3923 Old 07-20-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR_Ted View Post

I note on the 4310 thread there are some problems with the HD Radio part of the unit...would the 3310 have the same issue?

HD Radio is important to me, which is one reason I have about decided to get the 3310 over other brands, but if there is some kind of major problem with it I'll keep looking around....

Thanks!

Ted
Mesa AZ

HD radio coverage for a given signal strength is only 60% compared to range of FM analog transmission. You need to have a strong signal via a good antenna otherwise you encounter reception problems and lockups. Considering the availability of internet radio stations its debatable whether HD radio is worth it.

Oppo Beta Group
post #71 of 3923 Old 07-20-2009, 03:45 PM

Hi John,

Many thanks for the quick reply! After looking at the list of what is available in this area (PHX, AZ) on HD Radio, I realize there isn't as much there as I had thought.

The main reason I had not really considered Internet Radio is because the few stations I have found require an acknowledgment (i.e., a mouse click) every hour or so that you are still wanting to listen to their stream. How would one do this with the 3310?

Ted
post #72 of 3923 Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarOso View Post

The depth of just the case itself is 14 3/4" (no back connectors, no volume knob). The depth adding in the volume knob (no back connectors) is 15 1/2". I didn't get a chance to pull the entire unit out to measure an overall depth including back connectors and volume knob, but given those 2 measurements, 16 19/64" sounds about right.

- Frank

Excellent. Thanks! As advertised, the 3310CI is actually not quite as deep as my old 3300 (case is 15", with volume knob 16")... Should fit fine so I pulled on it! Thanks again.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #73 of 3923 Old 07-20-2009, 06:53 PM

How does the internet radio station streaming work? I know it's advertised as having 7500 stations available, but does it let you type in what station you want, or is it a pre-programmed list that won't allow you to add new stations down the road? I looked at the manual, and it really didn't give me any clarification. Thanks.
post #74 of 3923 Old 07-20-2009, 07:18 PM

The internet radio lets you browse by category and subcategory. Example, you could pick podcasts, then cars, the the wall street journal car report. Or you could pick radios stations, genre, then alternative, then a particular radio station. I'm paraphrasing but they have several options to search under and a method of storing favorites. It has lots of options but in some ways it seems like the typical google search. There are lots of items to select from on the list but no real way of knowing if where you are going is where you want to be. I'm sure once I find a few I like and store them in favorites it will seem less chaotic. I've only wandered in a few times so far....
post #75 of 3923 Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_STL View Post

The internet radio lets you browse by category and subcategory. Example, you could pick podcasts, then cars, the the wall street journal car report. Or you could pick radios stations, genre, then alternative, then a particular radio station. I'm paraphrasing but they have several options to search under and a method of storing favorites. It has lots of options but in some ways it seems like the typical google search. There are lots of items to select from on the list but no real way of knowing if where you are going is where you want to be. I'm sure once I find a few I like and store them in favorites it will seem less chaotic. I've only wandered in a few times so far....

So does this mean you cannot actually search for a particular internet radio station? For example, one of my wife's favorite internet radio stations is 102.7fm WEQX out of Vermont. Would the interface allow me to search for a specific station? I would love to be able to listen to that station without the use of a computer.
post #76 of 3923 Old 07-21-2009, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinneejs View Post

So does this mean you cannot actually search for a particular internet radio station? For example, one of my wife's favorite internet radio stations is 102.7fm WEQX out of Vermont. Would the interface allow me to search for a specific station? I would love to be able to listen to that station without the use of a computer.

You can search by keyword. Example, my wife wanted me to add NPR Los Angeles. So I did it as a search and it popped up. It even gives you the compression format and resolution. Scary how many internet station broadcast in 96/64kps. And you can hear the difference.

I wanted to play around with it a little more but haven't had the time. I don't know how you would add to the list of what available, but from what I've seen, it works pretty well and offers a large selection.

Mark
post #77 of 3923 Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 AM

Is it possible to get down-mixed stereo audio signal from all inputs except using headphones output. I know it works for analog inputs but digital inputs have no analog audio out, or I am wrong. Thanks.
post #78 of 3923 Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

digital>analog downmix for REC/ZONE OUT only works if the digital input is 2-ch PCM, and only with optical/coax (no HDMI downmix at all). So you can have a CD player or something hooked up with optical and it will output fine to the analog outs, but anything else will require a doubled-up connection with analog RCA (see the notes on the right side of pg 77 of the manual).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #79 of 3923 Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

digital>analog downmix for REC/ZONE OUT only works if the digital input is 2-ch PCM, and only with optical/coax (no HDMI downmix at all). So you can have a CD player or something hooked up with optical and it will output fine to the analog outs, but anything else will require a doubled-up connection with analog RCA (see the notes on the right side of pg 77 of the manual).

Thanks. I am trying to hookup my wireless headphones via analog RCA. My old receiver had analog out from all sources. It was very convenient to mute the receiver and use wireless headphones.
post #80 of 3923 Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 PM

Location: Derby City, USA- a blue oasis in a sea of red-state insanity...
Liked: 15
- HDMI SACD support- So does this mean the 3310 doesn't do DSD Direct or DSD-to-PCM over HDMI? The list of features for this receiver on Crutchfield said it had SACD support over HDMI, but Denon's own website had SACD support unchecked. Would like to pair it with Sony's new HDMI SACD/CD player- or at very least, the new Oppo BD player! Thanks for the info!- Tom
post #81 of 3923 Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 AM

I sent a question to Denon customer support to see if I could shed some light on what the firmware updates have addressed. Here is the response I received:

This is a listing of what the two firmware updates corrected.

Firmware Update Main Version 00.95 - (this includes both updates)
  1. After it displays it momentarily, a black belt is displayed in GUI when Picture reproduces.
  2. When the broadcasting station name including the "Latin alphabet" is memorized in the preset, the "Latin alphabet" is not correctly displayed.
  3. "Source Level" doesn't change even if "Setup/Source Level" of "Menu/Input" is changed by "Net/USB" function.
  4. When the wallpaper is displayed, a horizontal striped pattern is generated.
  5. A/V Receiver is connected with TV (Sharp LC-**XJ1) with the HDMI cable. It pictures is distorted when the analog video signal "VIDEO/S-VIDEO/Component 480i/576i" is output to TV by "1080p".

If you're experiencing any of these issues, please update the firmware via your Ethernet connection.
post #82 of 3923 Old 07-25-2009, 04:19 AM

Hello,

Any suggestions for in-wall speakers that are a good match for the 3310? I noticed that Aperion has a new line of in-wall speakers. Has anyone heard these speakers with the 3310?

Also, any suggestions on setting up the front channels and the center channel relative to a wall mounted 54 V10? How are you guys aligning the three speakers relative to the HDTV?

Thank you all for any suggestions.
post #83 of 3923 Old 07-25-2009, 05:37 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabasbarabas View Post

Thanks. I am trying to hookup my wireless headphones via analog RCA. My old receiver had analog out from all sources. It was very convenient to mute the receiver and use wireless headphones.

Unless the component (eg. DVR) can output both DD 5.1 and PCM 2.0 simultaneously, then as BP suggested, you'll just have to double up with a RCA cable in addition to the optical/coax and the analog wireless headphones will work just fine. With a PS3 you'll have to connect a SCART cable and select LPCM 2.0 stereo in order to use the headphones.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #84 of 3923 Old 07-25-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_Keith View Post

Hello,

Any suggestions for in-wall speakers that are a good match for the 3310? I noticed that Aperion has a new line of in-wall speakers. Has anyone heard these speakers with the 3310?

Also, any suggestions on setting up the front channels and the center channel relative to a wall mounted 54 V10? How are you guys aligning the three speakers relative to the HDTV?

Thank you all for any suggestions.

Hi Keith -- welcome! unfortunately, your questions aren't really going to garner much response...

first off -- the 3310CI is so new that querying for owners of both this unit, and a specific speaker brand, is kind of a shot in the dark with little chance of hitting.

most importantly though -- you should not worry about "matching" speakers to receivers. the speakers create the sound -- get the speakers that are right for you and your room, and then find an AVR with sufficient power to drive them and the features you are looking for. Any speakers that are good speakers will go well with a nice receiver like the 3310CI.

For speakers, you should pick a budget and post a thread in the speaker forum asking for in-wall recommendations. Make sure to describe your room and budget, including some pics will work well also. You will get good advice on your speaker options.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #85 of 3923 Old 07-25-2009, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
SO a general question between the 3808 and 3310----whats the overall better rvcvr for the money? Mainly the one that has the better sound/video package--everything will be hooked up thru HDMI.
post #86 of 3923 Old 07-25-2009, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Cobra View Post

SO a general question between the 3808 and 3310----whats the overall better rvcvr for the money? Mainly the one that has the better sound/video package--everything will be hooked up thru HDMI.

Thats a complex question. The 3808 offers better audio (130 watts per channel), the 3310 offers better video upscaling using ABT 2010.
The 3808 has better remotes, the 3310 has some new features. The 3808 is getting hard to find, the 3310 is available from several sources. If you can find a 3808 its cheaper then a 3310.

Oppo Beta Group
post #87 of 3923 Old 07-26-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrowe125 View Post

- HDMI SACD support- So does this mean the 3310 doesn't do DSD Direct or DSD-to-PCM over HDMI? The list of features for this receiver on Crutchfield said it had SACD support over HDMI, but Denon's own website had SACD support unchecked. Would like to pair it with Sony's new HDMI SACD/CD player- or at very least, the new Oppo BD player! Thanks for the info!- Tom

Batpig? Anyone?
post #88 of 3923 Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

it doesn't do DSD directly over HDMI, the 4310CI is now the lowest level Denon unit with SACD support.

if the SACD player can decode the DSD to PCM over HDMI, then you are fine, as it takes multichannel PCM.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #89 of 3923 Old 07-26-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Hi Keith -- welcome! unfortunately, your questions aren't really going to garner much response...

first off -- the 3310CI is so new that querying for owners of both this unit, and a specific speaker brand, is kind of a shot in the dark with little chance of hitting.

most importantly though -- you should not worry about "matching" speakers to receivers. the speakers create the sound -- get the speakers that are right for you and your room, and then find an AVR with sufficient power to drive them and the features you are looking for. Any speakers that are good speakers will go well with a nice receiver like the 3310CI.

For speakers, you should pick a budget and post a thread in the speaker forum asking for in-wall recommendations. Make sure to describe your room and budget, including some pics will work well also. You will get good advice on your speaker options.

Thanks Batpig!
post #90 of 3923 Old 07-28-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:

it doesn't do DSD directly over HDMI, the 4310CI is now the lowest level Denon unit with SACD support.

if the SACD player can decode the DSD to PCM over HDMI, then you are fine, as it takes multichannel PCM.

Thanks for the info, Batpig, it's much appreciated. I know Oppo's BDP-83 will convert DSD to PCM; not entirely sure about the Sony 5400. Just love that Denon keeps bumping features I'm interested in (SACD support, i-Link) up to their more expensive receivers. Hope the 2809 sticks around 'till Jan./Feb.(tax time), since the 3808 seems to be pretty scarce.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page