** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3922 Old 08-18-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
actually, we are finding out (from other owner's report in 2310, 3310, 4310 threads) that it is NOT actually an inherent flaw in the receiver, but is rather caused by the TV/AVR interaction when the resolution output is set to "auto". Some people have reported that when left on "auto" the receiver will correctly pass BOTH 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 untouched..... so in other words, you may just have to cross your fingers!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3922 Old 08-18-2009, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a video I shot of the auto resolution switch between 1080p/60 and 1080p/24. You can also see the screen flicker from the PS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VFt2SUSuL0

-Tom
post #183 of 3922 Old 08-18-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

actually, we are finding out (from other owner's report in 2310, 3310, 4310 threads) that it is NOT actually an inherent flaw in the receiver, but is rather caused by the TV/AVR interaction when the resolution output is set to "auto". Some people have reported that when left on "auto" the receiver will correctly pass BOTH 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 untouched..... so in other words, you may just have to cross your fingers!

Not exactly comforting when your considering (as I am) a $2000 receiver!
post #184 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 AM

Hi, I've had my 3310 up and running for almost 2 weeks now. All components but one functioning as hoped for. Firmware updated fine, network connectivity fine, internet radio fine. Not bad for a newbie....

Lone problem encountered so far:

During initial start up of the TV (Samsung 7100) I receive a message from the cable box (Scientific Atlanta 4250) reporting "Copy Protection Error ... etc., etc." It is on screen and no picture is passed through. Pressing exit on the cable remote clears the condition and all functions normally until the next time I go through a power cycle.

All components are connected via HDMI ( BJC Belden Series-F2) at present. Cable company claims it's out of date firmware inside the HDMI cable (oh really???) and nothing they can do.

Does this sound like one of the handshake errors reported earlier in the thread and something that I should try fixing by connecting via component out of the cable box to the 3310? If I do this are there any functionality limitations about which I should be aware?

Thanks very much in advance.
post #185 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMo70 View Post

Here is a video I shot of the auto resolution switch between 1080p/60 and 1080p/24. You can also see the screen flicker from the PS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VFt2SUSuL0

-Tom

I did see the flash you mentioned, but in other respects everything functioned correctly, right? The Denon in "auto" mode correctly passed through 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 without any framerate conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynin View Post

Not exactly comforting when your considering (as I am) a $2000 receiver!

Well, it's not necessarily the receiver that's at fault. It's the combination of components -- such is life in the HDMI world!

Notice though that in the video Tom's setup performed correctly. I would assume that (as with many HDMI bugs) the vast majority of people are getting correct functionality, and you only hear about the few problems here on the internet threads.

But without other data it's very hard to judge. It would be great if other people with a PS3 could perform the simple experiment Tom did, to make sure that in "Auto" resolution output mode the Denon correctly passes 1080p/24 and 1080p/60 without framerate conversion.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #186 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRob View Post

Lone problem encountered so far:

During initial start up of the TV (Samsung 7100) I receive a message from the cable box (Scientific Atlanta 4250) reporting "Copy Protection Error ... etc., etc."

Typical handshake problem.... SA cable boxes are notorious just like Motorola.

Quote:
Cable company claims it's out of date firmware inside the HDMI cable (oh really???) and nothing they can do.

helpful as expected

Quote:
Does this sound like one of the handshake errors reported earlier in the thread and something that I should try fixing by connecting via component out of the cable box to the 3310?

yes and yes

Quote:
If I do this are there any functionality limitations about which I should be aware?

only that you can't do a standby passthrough on non-HDMI inputs. otherwise the only limitation will be in the number of headaches you get from being pissed off about HDMI errors.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #187 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Actually, I think only Tom has noted that this is possible and I'm not sure his display is capable of displaying 1080p24 (he doesn't say and notes that the display doesn't indicate the incoming signal). As such, I would say it is the Denon with the problem.

The reason I think the Denon is the problem is that it seems to correctly indicate the incoming signal and the fact that my display can accept 1080p24 but it is choosing to convert the incoming 1080p24 signal to 1080p60.
post #188 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

but you can see both the input signal and the output signal on the Denon's status display via the GUI. On Tom's video it is NOT doing a framerate conversion (1080p/24 > 1080p/60) which would be the expected behavior of the TV reports that it doesn't accept 1080p/24 input.

The AVR queries the display's EDID info which contains a list of accepted input resolutions -- if his TV did not accept 1080p/24 then the Denon GUI would read "1080p/24 > 1080p/60" when he fired up the Blu Ray because the AVR would "know" that 1080p/24 is not an accepted resolution.

Whether his display correctly displays 24hz input (e.g. it has a 72hz or 96hz mode) is irrelevant. The question (at least to me) seems to be whether the Denon, when in "Auto" mode for resolution output, will pass through BOTH 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 without framerate conversion (which is obviously the desired behavior) to a TV that can accept either resolution. According to the video, Tom's Denon is doing that correctly.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #189 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I did see the flash you mentioned, but in other respects everything functioned correctly, right? The Denon in "auto" mode correctly passed through 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 without any framerate conversion.

That is correct Batpig, everything (at least related to this issue ) seems to function correctly.

For some reason the AVR doesn't want to remember my Audyssey settings for QuickSelect 1, but that's a different issue. With receivers that have as many functions as this unit does, there will inevitably be quirks to sort out.
post #190 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

does your TV report the input signal it is receiving? Just to EVT's point above, have you corroborated that when the Denon is reporting "1080p/24" as the output, the TV is agreeing with it and reporting 1080p/24 as the input signal

As to the Quick Select, have you re memorized it once you have everything set up?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #191 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRick View Post

Hello all,
... I do have a question on using an iPod with the 3310. Can you plug an iPod in to the USB port and get any functionality at all? On page 27 of the user manual it says "When using with an iPod connected directly to the AVR-3310CI's USB port, select "USB" for the input source". So from that wording I would assume that I should be able to get some iPod functionality through the USB port. I have a 4th gen iPod Nano and I spent about 5 minutes playing with it connected to the USB port, but I wasn't able to get it to work. I was using the USB cable that I use to connect to my computer to download music from my iTunes...

I know that you can buy the separate docking port/station from Denon, and I may end up going that route in the end, but I wanted to see what I could do using the USB port first.

Also, I don't think the docking port will charge the 4th gen iPods while they are docked (that's what I discovered with my Bose SoundDock). Can anyone confirm this?...

Well I posted this question almost two weeks ago, but it hasn't generate any responses to date, so I thought I would bump it up one more time and ask again. Has anyone had any success connecting their iPod into the USB port on the 3310? Or, can you tell me what is and isn't possible to do through the USB port? Looking back at the section I quoted above from the user's manual sure makes it look like this should be possible. Just wondering what it takes to make it work ?
post #192 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

iPod USB support is ostensibly an upgrade feature of the 4310CI. the USB port on the 3310CI should function with USB "thumb" drives and external HDD's, but I don't think it supports iPod. where is that quote you found in the manual?

I think the only way to know is for other owners to try plugging in their iPods and see what happens!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #193 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:

does your TV report the input signal it is receiving? Just to EVT's point above, have you corroborated that when the Denon is reporting "1080p/24" as the output, the TV is agreeing with it and reporting 1080p/24 as the input signal

As to the Quick Select, have you re memorized it once you have everything set up?

Unfortunately, the TV only reports '1080p', not the frame rate. This is the display spec: http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/LG...-DataSheet.pdf It appears to support both 60 & 24. I think we need more data from different brand/model displays.

Regarding the QuickSelect, yes, I re-memorize it. It remembers everything except for Audyssey Dynamic EQ. Source, volume, multi-EQ are all recalled. Very strange.
post #194 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:

iPod USB support is ostensibly an upgrade feature of the 4310CI. the USB port on the 3310CI should function with USB "thumb" drives and external HDD's, but I don't think it supports iPod. where is that quote you found in the manual?

I think the only way to know is for other owners to try plugging in their iPods and see what happens!

BP,
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I do know that the 4310 specifically supports the iPod format as an upgrade feature from the 3310. I was just confused/curious about the wording I found in the 3310 manual.
The quote that I found in the manual is from the user manual posted on the Denon website, link -> Denon AVR-3310CI User Manual. The reference is on paper page #27 (PDF page 30 of 112) of the manual. Look in the upper right-hand side of the page. Maybe it's just an editing mistake and that section was only meant to be in the 4310 user manual???
post #195 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Regarding the QuickSelect, yes, I re-memorize it. It remembers everything except for Audyssey Dynamic EQ. Source, volume, multi-EQ are all recalled. Very strange.

hmm, that's not normal as the Quick Select is specifically supposed remember your Audyssey settings (including Dynamic Volume / EQ). This is explicitly stated in the manual.

I'm assuming you've tried a microprocessor reset, right? Perhaps a call to Denon tech support is in order at this point?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #196 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 02:09 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but you can see both the input signal and the output signal on the Denon's status display via the GUI. On Tom's video it is NOT doing a framerate conversion (1080p/24 > 1080p/60) which would be the expected behavior of the TV reports that it doesn't accept 1080p/24 input.

The AVR queries the display's EDID info which contains a list of accepted input resolutions -- if his TV did not accept 1080p/24 then the Denon GUI would read "1080p/24 > 1080p/60" when he fired up the Blu Ray because the AVR would "know" that 1080p/24 is not an accepted resolution.

Whether his display correctly displays 24hz input (e.g. it has a 72hz or 96hz mode) is irrelevant. The question (at least to me) seems to be whether the Denon, when in "Auto" mode for resolution output, will pass through BOTH 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 without framerate conversion (which is obviously the desired behavior) to a TV that can accept either resolution. According to the video, Tom's Denon is doing that correctly.

That's a good point; I must have missed that part of his post; I thought that what he might be seeing was the device switching from 60 to 24.

At any rate, I have set it to auto as my PS3 is not my primary BD player (I have an Oppo) and in the event I do want to use it for BD playback it's not a horrible inconvience to manually switch the 3310 to 1080p/24 or turn off scaling; by setting the 3310 to Auto it does offer the benefit of scaling my PS3 games to 1080p. Still, it would be really useful to include either a zoom function or a toggle button on the remote for the aspect ratio control; I have a similar beef with my Onkyo 876, you have to hold down the input source button to bring up the gui then scroll down to the zoom mode.
post #197 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

BP,
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I do know that the 4310 specifically supports the iPod format as an upgrade feature from the 3310. I was just confused/curious about the wording I found in the 3310 manual.
The quote that I found in the manual is from the user manual posted on the Denon website, link -> Denon AVR-3310CI User Manual. The reference is on paper page #27 (PDF page 30 of 112) of the manual. Look in the upper right-hand side of the page. Maybe it's just an editing mistake and that section was only meant to be in the 4310 user manual???

I think you might be right. I compared that page in the 3310 and 4310 manuals, and in the 4310 manual the language is the same but they refer to it as the "iPod/USB port" (as opposed to just the "USB port"). Maybe call up Denon and ask the level 1 tech support flunky what he has to say about that line in the manual

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #198 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadna View Post

i have a 5090h which can handle 24p. When pass through is activated or ps3 is connected directly to the plasma the image is fine and the 24p mode is played correctly. whenever i try to play 24p images through the receiver I start having artifacts.
I also noticed snow problems with my dvr which were resolved by forcing manually rez to 1080i 60hz. 1080i 50hz rez would cause also some image pbs.

Edit: did another test today. I forced the video convert on the 1080p (instead of auto) setting and the artifacts seem to disappear. looks like the receiver can not negotiate the right rez correctly. still forcing 1080p instead of auto, will not enable the 24hz option. will try again tomorrow to confirm this.

did some further tests and forcing 1080p on the receiver does not solve my pbs...
post #199 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

have you called tech support? your unit does not appear to be working correctly. you should not be getting bad image artifacts.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #200 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just curious if any 3310CI owners could duplicate the problem that "FilmMixer" has uncovered in the 4310CI thread with DTS-MA decoding. Anyone who has the AIX Blu Ray sampler disc that Oppo has sent out to BDP-83 owners could test this -- I wonder if it's an issue with any Denon model or just the 4310CI.

See this post and the subsequent discussion.

The problem is that, if you feed 7.1 DTS-MASTER to the 4310CI when it is set up for a normal 5.1 arrangement, it is incorrectly playing the lossy 5.1 DTS "core" track instead of doing the 7.1>5.1 downmix of the lossless DTS-MASTER track.

You would need this particular test disc to duplicate the problem, however, because the receiver is reporting DTS-MA, so you would never know that something is wrong. On this particular AIX Blu Ray sampler disc, on the DTS-MA 7.1 test the "core" track is authored to be 50dB lower specifically to test proper function.

You would need to have your receiver configured for a 5.1 setup and then try feeding it this particular DTS-MASTER test from the AIX blu-ray...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #201 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 PM

Hi Everyone ..i have been reading this official owners thread sinse the beginning and decided to go for the 3310 (thanks BATPIG). Now i have only had the 3310 for 5 days but thought i would share a few things with you ppl

My set up thats connected to the 3310:

Pioneer 5090
Panasonic BD55 (Works Perfect)
Denon DVD1940 (Works Perfect)
2x XBOX360 (Both Work Perfect)
Playstation 3 (Read Below)

ALL the Above HDMI

Oh and a set of KEF 2005.3 (7.1)

Now the PS3 problem some ppl are having :

All i can say is that my PS3 is working perfectly with AUTO turned ON and OFF
wot i have tried so far on the ps3 is :

Games:
Soul Calibur IV (720p) Displayed Perfectly
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (1080p) Displayed Perfectly

Movies:
Rambo (1080p) Displayed Perfectly
Running Scared (1080i) Displayed Perfectly

Now.. My PS3 is a 80GIG USA model (I Live In The UK) and about 2 years old, a good friend of mine brought it back for me as it was a lot cheaper in the states at the time

And dare i say it, its the only bit of kit i have, that i have used a cheap and nasty HDMI lead and for me have had no problems with the display.

I have JUST had a look at that video that TMo70 has posted and all i can say is that my pioneer tells me what display is coming through my tv and everything that my ps3 should be displaying is doing that.. about the flicker and snowy bits ppl are getting i hav'nt noticed anything.

This is NOT a BOAST or anything just letting you good ppl know, and if i can help out with ANYTHING i will do my best.

All i can say even though its only been 5 days with my 3310 i am a VERY happy Camper
post #202 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 04:11 PM

Just FYI to people who suspect that they are having a handshaking issue with their display, I just noticed that in the 'HDMI information' screen, if you press the down arrow on the remote, there is an additional info screen that indicates the resolutions supported by the display. See attached image. I love their spelling of 'monitor.'
LL
post #203 of 3922 Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Just curious if any 3310CI owners could duplicate the problem that "FilmMixer" has uncovered in the 4310CI thread with DTS-MA decoding. Anyone who has the AIX Blu Ray sampler disc that Oppo has sent out to BDP-83 owners could test this -- I wonder if it's an issue with any Denon model or just the 4310CI.

The problem is that, if you feed 7.1 DTS-MASTER to the 4310CI when it is set up for a normal 5.1 arrangement, it is incorrectly playing the lossy 5.1 DTS "core" track instead of doing the 7.1>5.1 downmix of the lossless DTS-MASTER track.

You would need this particular test disc to duplicate the problem, however, because the receiver is reporting DTS-MA, so you would never know that something is wrong. On this particular AIX Blu Ray sampler disc, on the DTS-MA 7.1 test the "core" track is authored to be 50dB lower specifically to test proper function.

You would need to have your receiver configured for a 5.1 setup and then try feeding it this particular DTS-MASTER test from the AIX blu-ray...

I have the OPPO BDP-83 player and the AIX Blu Ray sampler disc. When I play the DTS-MA 7.1 test on my 3310CI, I can confirm that the audio is coming out 50dB lower. So I guess I am hearing the "core" track as well. (BTW, I didn't see where the 50 dB lower on the "core" track information was documented for the AIX disc. I guess I will have to go back and read through the other thread some more).
post #204 of 3922 Old 08-20-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:

have you called tech support? your unit does not appear to be working correctly. you should not be getting bad image artifacts.

Well i am planning to return my receiver to Denon. I am hoping that they will be able to spot those artifacts which are not consistent and that they will not keep the unit for 2 months...
post #205 of 3922 Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay69 View Post

Hi Everyone ..i have been reading this official owners thread sinse the beginning and decided to go for the 3310 (thanks BATPIG). Now i have only had the 3310 for 5 days but thought i would share a few things with you ppl

My set up thats connected to the 3310:

Pioneer 5090
Panasonic BD55 (Works Perfect)
Denon DVD1940 (Works Perfect)
2x XBOX360 (Both Work Perfect)
Playstation 3 (Read Below)

ALL the Above HDMI

Oh and a set of KEF 2005.3 (7.1)

Now the PS3 problem some ppl are having :

All i can say is that my PS3 is working perfectly with AUTO turned ON and OFF
wot i have tried so far on the ps3 is :

Games:
Soul Calibur IV (720p) Displayed Perfectly
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (1080p) Displayed Perfectly

Movies:
Rambo (1080p) Displayed Perfectly
Running Scared (1080i) Displayed Perfectly

Now.. My PS3 is a 80GIG USA model (I Live In The UK) and about 2 years old, a good friend of mine brought it back for me as it was a lot cheaper in the states at the time

And dare i say it, its the only bit of kit i have, that i have used a cheap and nasty HDMI lead and for me have had no problems with the display.

I have JUST had a look at that video that TMo70 has posted and all i can say is that my pioneer tells me what display is coming through my tv and everything that my ps3 should be displaying is doing that.. about the flicker and snowy bits ppl are getting i hav'nt noticed anything.

This is NOT a BOAST or anything just letting you good ppl know, and if i can help out with ANYTHING i will do my best.

All i can say even though its only been 5 days with my 3310 i am a VERY happy Camper

thanks for your feedback deejay69.
I have a 5090h and a ps3 80Go as well but I am not as lucky as you are.
I am getting some nasty random image artifacts. I am giving up and I am planning to send the receiver to Denon for a check.
post #206 of 3922 Old 08-20-2009, 06:28 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just FYI to people who suspect that they are having a handshaking issue with their display, I just noticed that in the 'HDMI information' screen, if you press the down arrow on the remote, there is an additional info screen that indicates the resolutions supported by the display. See attached image. I love their spelling of 'monitor.'

That's the screen I looked to in order to confirm that the 3310 recognized my display could handle 1080p24; that's why I find it very odd that when set to auto it converts 1080p24 incoming signals from my Oppo, A35, and PS3 to 1080p60. BTW, I have a Panasonic 54V10 display.
post #207 of 3922 Old 08-20-2009, 06:30 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ouch; I think I have to register my Oppo to get this disc; fortunately I only have but a few 7.1 DTS discs. Still, I hope this is something that Denon can fix.
post #208 of 3922 Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have the OPPO BDP-83 player and the AIX Blu Ray sampler disc. When I play the DTS-MA 7.1 test on my 3310CI, I can confirm that the audio is coming out 50dB lower. So I guess I am hearing the "core" track as well. (BTW, I didn't see where the 50 dB lower on the "core" track information was documented for the AIX disc. I guess I will have to go back and read through the other thread some more).

Thanks for doing that test -- I'm assuming you have a 5.1 setup (or at least temporarily set it up for 5.1 for the test) correct? If you have 7.1 configured the bug will not appear because it will just play the 7.1 DTS-MASTER.

"FilmMixer" from the 4310CI thread has already contacted DTS so this is a known issue and I'm assuming a firmware update will fix it sometime soon.

Quote:

Ouch; I think I have to register my Oppo to get this disc; fortunately I only have but a few 7.1 DTS discs. Still, I hope this is something that Denon can fix.

I would assume so like I said above.... even so it's not a huge deal in the meantime, I doubt most people could pick the 5.1 DTS "core" from the DTS-MASTER track in a blind test. And of course the receiver's display will be saying "DTS-MASTER" so you wouldn't even know, the placebo will be in full effect (just pretend you never read this thread of course)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #209 of 3922 Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks for doing that test -- I'm assuming you have a 5.1 setup (or at least temporarily set it up for 5.1 for the test) correct? If you have 7.1 configured the bug will not appear because it will just play the 7.1 DTS-MASTER.

Correct; I currently have a 5.1 setup (although that may change shortly )
post #210 of 3922 Old 08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"FilmMixer" from the 4310CI thread has already contacted DTS so this is a known issue and I'm assuming a firmware update will fix it sometime soon.

I would assume so like I said above.... even so it's not a huge deal in the meantime, I doubt most people could pick the 5.1 DTS "core" from the DTS-MASTER track in a blind test. And of course the receiver's display will be saying "DTS-MASTER" so you wouldn't even know, the placebo will be in full effect (just pretend you never read this thread of course)

There's actually no need to fool myself; If I'm going to playback a 7.1 DTS-MA track I just have to remember to set the Oppo to decode rather than the Denon; that is, at least until Denon fixes this. I must say, as annoying as this is, I'm glad I returned the 890 I originally purchased and went with the 3310 as I imagine when Denon fixes this it will be a simple firmware upgrade on the 3310; I'm not sure what they would do on an 890 that doesn't even have an RS232 input.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page