post #2071 of 3925 Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

No secret if you want to turn off Dynamic EQ, just turn it off.

In the GUI: Audio Adjust > Audyssey Settings

Or on the remote: press the "DYN EQ" button until the red light turns off... it will also report the change on screen via the status overlay

red light = Dynamic EQ on
green light = Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Vol on
no light = Dyn EQ + Vol are OFF

You can still of course leave MultEQ on.

Just as I stated, again, the "Audyssey settings" option is not appearing anywhere in the GUI, including the "audio adjust" and "surround parameter" area.

My Denon remote goes unused as I have a Harmony One that does not have the Audyssey Dyn EQ button programmed in...yet.

I have heard of this problem before (the Audyssey options not appearing in the GUI) but cannot recall the EZ fix.

Does anyone have the answer? I believe it had something to do with making an adjustment with another setting.

Thanks,
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3925 Old 07-21-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I may have found my "semi" answer here, buried in the Aud set-up guide, see #2:

E. Disable any Night Modes, Dynamic Range Compression (DRC), and Dynamic Compression (D. Comp) in the receiver / processor as well as the DVD / BD player.

1. If these features are not disabled, they could possibly cause adverse interaction with Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.

2. You may need to temporarily turn off MultEQ to access these parameters in your receiver / processor.

3. You may also need to select a specific soundtrack type or listening mode before a given parameter will appear in the menu for adjustment; check the manual to be certain.

I realize the settings he is speaking of are related to the AVR/BD player's own controls/options, but I know I've read of a similar solution for instances like mine where the Audyssey settings are not appearing in the GUI.

James

post #2073 of 3925 Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadler` View Post

Anyone have the latest RS232 codes for the 3310CI? I have the 2009 version (5.4a) of the serial protocol which is available on Denon's site. Denon tells me they won't give the newer codes unless you're a registered installer. That doesn't make sense to me as I have been using the codes for all my past Denon products and now I need the newer ones for the 3310CI.

Denon is no longer posting the serial protocol files on their website as apparently too many non CI's were calling for assistance with using the serial commands and the Denon CSRs are not set up to provide that service. The files are now stored on the CI website which should be accessible by the vendor from whom you purchased your 3310. Give the vendor a call and see if they can get it for you.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2074 of 3925 Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Just as I stated, again, the "Audyssey settings" option is not appearing anywhere in the GUI, including the "audio adjust" and "surround parameter" area.

If the Audyssey Settings menu does not appear in the Audio Adjust section, then Audyssey is not available. (or, if it is, something is defective) I have never heard of any situation that would have Audyssey on (or available) and NOT have it appear in the Audio Adjust section of the GUI.

is the red (or green) light on? have you looked at the little symbols on the front panel display to see if the MultEQ box is lit up?

are you in Direct or Pure Direct mode? That is the only time you wouldn't see these options appear.... but this is because Audyssey is automatically disabled with these modes.

It definitely has nothing to do with that passage you quoted from the Audyssey setup guide.

Quote:
My Denon remote goes unused

maybe it's time to dig it out? if only to test.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2075 of 3925 Old 07-21-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

If the Audyssey Settings menu does not appear in the Audio Adjust section, then Audyssey is not available. (or, if it is, something is defective) I have never heard of any situation that would have Audyssey on (or available) and NOT have it appear in the Audio Adjust section of the GUI.

is the red (or green) light on? have you looked at the little symbols on the front panel display to see if the MultEQ box is lit up?

are you in Direct or Pure Direct mode? That is the only time you wouldn't see these options appear.... but this is because Audyssey is automatically disabled with these modes.

It definitely has nothing to do with that passage you quoted from the Audyssey setup guide.

maybe it's time to dig it out? if only to test.

Actually it (the solution I've spoke of reading about and using) DOES have a direct link to the passage...in just the exact respect I noted: that is, just like finding and defeating AVR options only after turning off Aud, I have read a similar action is needed to unearth the Audyssey settings rarely, due to a bug/error/hiccup within the unit/Audyssey/software/whatever.

This would serve as the explanation/example of a scenario that caused this condition that you noted you were not aware of. The similarity of the methodology of either solution is precisely why I noted it (the Audyssey blurb) as a "semi-answer".

Like I've already mentioned, I'vde ran Audyssey on this exact unit twice before and had the same problem...which was resolved by a few steps that I'm attempting to now recall. The firmware has been identical throughout.

I am not in Direct or Pure Direct mode and both MultEQ and Dyn EQ are illuminated in the window.

Audyssey Settings are nowhere to be found within the GUI.

When I get home this evening I will attempt to disable it with the remote and make a call to Denon to attempt to reach a solution...which should be good for at least a laugh.

James

post #2076 of 3925 Old 07-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having trouble with both the web browser interface and custom control via the Ethernet port and telnet. I find both to be very unreliable. The web browser can be very slow, and at times it locks up completely. Using port 23 over Ethernet (telnet) usually works, but sometimes the unit locks up and I just get an endless stream of NULL characters being sent back at me from 3310.

I have several of the 3310ci units and they all have the same problem, so I know the unit is not defective. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same issues. Frankly, this is a horrible problem which Denon should have easily seen during even basic quality testing.
post #2077 of 3925 Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoan View Post

Since you have not experience any network problem, May I ask you two questions, please ?

(1 ) Do you have any issue at all with the HD radio locked-up and produced the "motor sound" or " helicopter sound" ?

(2) What's the name of your dealer ? if the dealer is an authorized internet dealer , I would like to take another shot at the 3310 CI in a hope that different dealer may receive a different batch of 3310 ci from Denon.

HD radio is important to me and my business so I need a solid HD radio 3310ci. Thank you.

1) I only get 1 HD station and it works good.

2) Never have had the helicopter or motor sound playing any source.

3) I purchased from Amazon and my unit has performed flawlessly to this point in time.
post #2078 of 3925 Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

MY audyssey "missing settings" problem has been fixed. I simply re-ran audyssey, and what do you know...the Audyssey settings options now appear in the GUI.

A Denon rep I spoke with said he had encountered the issue before and addressed it with a master reset.

I didn't want to go through that bs so I thought I'd start with a simpler step...glad it worked.

James

post #2079 of 3925 Old 07-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegeld View Post

I'm having trouble with both the web browser interface and custom control via the Ethernet port and telnet. I find both to be very unreliable. The web browser can be very slow, and at times it locks up completely.

I also have had issues with the web interface being slow and occasionally locking up, but I had attributed this to poor WiFi coverage since I usually try to control it with my phone. The few times I have used it from a hardwired PC it seems to perform well. It still really frustrates me that I cannot turn off any of the zones using the web interface.
post #2080 of 3925 Old 07-22-2010, 04:53 PM

HDMI Issue with Laptop ...

I am having a hell of a time getting my Lenovo SL500 (Intel video adapter - Windows 7 64 bit) to play nice with my AVR-3310CI and Panasonic TC-P54G25. I am connected via HDMI

I am getting a constant pink flicker ( about every second) with 2 to 3 vertical white lines when trying to run at 1920 X 1080 resolution. Issue will not resolve unless the resolution is set at 1280 X 720. I have tried ever combination of Resolution and Hz between 1920 X 1080 and 1280 X 720 with no luck.

I have ran all firmware, bios updates and drive updates on all devices as well.

Any help and\\or advise would be greatly appreciated..
post #2081 of 3925 Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiyBlue22 View Post

HDMI Issue with Laptop ...
[snip[
Any help and\\or advise would be greatly appreciated..

Your laptop is likely outputting a progressive signal. 1080P requires very high bandwidth and cables that are marginal often exhibit artifacts like you're describing. I'd suggest trying another cable that you know can do 1080P without issue (borrow one from a Bluray player maybe?) and see if the issue persists.

Good luck
post #2082 of 3925 Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 PM

I'm having a problem with my 3310 that I hope someone can help with. The following problem seems to exist when I want to listen to my IPOD. Instead of staying on the IPOD input for the Denon, like it should, it flips to TV 5 Channel Stereo after about .5 seconds, and it will not stay on the IPOD input. I am 8 months pregnant and my husband has put me up to programming his system and I am sure I am going to go into early labor over this whole thing! If I turn the Denon off and then back on, it seems to work fine and stay on the correct input for the IPOD. But I don't want to have to turn it off and on again all the time. It happens with the Harmony One remote I programmed and also with the Denon remote. Every other activity works great. This just seems to happen with the IPOD setting when the Denon is off overnight. HELP!
post #2083 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbump View Post

I also have had issues with the web interface being slow and occasionally locking up, but I had attributed this to poor WiFi coverage since I usually try to control it with my phone. The few times I have used it from a hardwired PC it seems to perform well. It still really frustrates me that I cannot turn off any of the zones using the web interface.

Unforutnately, I have these problems and I am connected hardwired!

I'm wondering, is anyone on this forum having success with reliable Ethernet control of this unit?
post #2084 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 03:54 AM
585-645-1006

susipark -

When the AVR switches over to the TV input on it's own, it is usually caused by the HDMI-CEC feature (Anynet+) in your Samsung HDTV being turned ON. Turn it OFF and your problem should go away.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #2085 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quick speaker setup question, I got a new pair of speakers that have built in subs
and will be using them as part of a 2.1 setup. Is there anything above just running Audyssey to set the speakers up to play I need to do?

Audyssey setup guide
post #2086 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Seeing I cannot get an answer anywhere else on this site, I may as well try here.

Rhapsody: I know it's terrible to navigate on the 3310...even when it actually works.

So: what I want to do is run rhapsody on my laptop and stream it to my 3310. It MAY do this easily, but of course my i-net at the house is currently down so I'm unable to tell- my guess is that Rhapsody treats either device separately and it won't allow me to do this.

Does anyone stream from their laptop? I've looked into USB "whole audio" solutions from the laptop to a receiver that plugs into the, well, receiver, but they seem spotty at best.

I'm truly shocked that there are not more solutions for those who want to wirelessy stream audio from their CPU's. I have an appletv that I can use for itunes, but oviously that won't work here.

I have to imagine those running rhapsody would NEVER want to use the supplied remote to do so.

If I can't use the CPU to run it, this is the end of Rhapsody for me.

thanks,
James

post #2087 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post

Quick speaker setup question, I got a new pair of speakers that have built in subs
and will be using them as part of a 2.1 setup. Is there anything above just running Audyssey to set the speakers up to play I need to do?

Not much. Are they Definitives by chance? If so, I find that centering the gain on the bass controls and turning the phase to "0" yield the best results.

Any LP filter should also be set to the max allowed.

James

post #2088 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 06:59 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post

Quick speaker setup question, I got a new pair of speakers that have built in subs and will be using them as part of a 2.1 setup. Is there anything above just running Audyssey to set the speakers up to play I need to do?

Depends on whether you have a separate sub and whether you want "double bass" or not.

w/separate Sub (NO double bass) - change speakers to SMALL w/80hz crossover

w/separate Sub (double bass) - leave speakers as LARGE and set sub to LFE+MAIN

w/o separate Sub - run LFE cable via "Y" splitter from the AVR to each speaker input

post #2089 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I'm truly shocked that there are not more solutions for those who want to wirelessy stream audio from their CPU's. I have an appletv that I can use for itunes, but oviously that won't work here.

actually, the Apple TV absolutely WILL Work for you! Since the ATV can serve as an "Airtunes speaker" like an Airport Express, you can stream any audio from your PC through the ATV.

All you need to do is download / buy the "Airfoil" software: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

and then you can stream Rhapsody, Pandora, whatever non-iTunes audio you want, using your ATV as a "streaming portal" to the AV setup.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2090 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

ABSOLUTELY MONSTROUS IF THIS WORKS!!!

I thought I found the only solution: a Sonos ZP 90 receiver. It sits in my network and can allow me to run the Sonos app on my laptop/iphone...including running Napster, Pandora, itunes, Rhapsody, etc. I personally feel $350 is a but much for this, but it seems competition for it is sparse.

Looks like the only thing airfoil won't do that Sonos does is allow me to use my iphone to control Rhapsody, which is nice, especially outside.

Wow, thanks for the huge tip BP, I'll look into this immediately.

have a great weekend everyone!

James

post #2091 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 AM

First of all thanks to all the contributors to this thread. Google search has made you famous. The community support on Denon by you folks as opposed to some of the other brands (their offical forums) was another deciding factor. Admittedly, was turned off by other brands with thread replies "yeah now my tv really thumps".

So far so good. Loving this unit at it's reduced price point. I have a few embarrassingly simple questions:

1. For Input Setup -> Video I can select "Source, DVD, HDP, etc". What's the difference between making the video adjustments between each input source (DVD, HDP) as opposed to Source? It looks like DVD source changes apply only to those source inputs. Source for global?

2. I have a fat PS3 with PCM output. Is it recommended that I keep Video Convert on? I've turned off i/p scaler for my blu-ray sources. For sound, is it preferrable to keep Dynamic EQ off? Not really sure what the Dynamic EQ buys me.

3. On the back of the remote, do you guys set the audio to Pure Direct or STD for your blu-ray sources with DTS?

4. If you turn off AudysseyEQ does that mean that you won't be listening to audio at the Audyssey auto setup settings? Keep this on always?

As obvious my sound discerning abilities have room to grow so just looking for the best possible settings at this point. Thanks all.
post #2092 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

1. You are confusing the "Video Select" setting. That setting is to mix audio + video from different inputs (for example, so you can watch TV while listening to audio from the CD player). The settings for input setup are all input-specific, and apply only to the video input currently selected (NOT what you select with "video select"). To apply changes to a different input, you must EXIT the GUI, select another input source, and then re-open the GUI > Input Setup.

2. Leave Video Convert ON so you still can get GUI and overlay. I strongly suggest you do some reading on Dynamic EQ as it's a very cool feature. Start here: http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dynamiceq.html

3. Standard is the correct sound mode for almost all sources. PURE DIRECT defeats all processing, including bass management and audyssey EQ, so it's to be avoided unless you specifically want to defeat all processing (e.g. some people like this for playing music). Read the Audio section of my FAQ as I explain surround modes: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audio

4. Read through the Audyssey section of my FAQ: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

In general, once you have run Audyssey, you should leave MultEQ enabled for all sources. Most people run Dynamic EQ for all sources as well, although you may need to go to Audio Adjust > Audyssey Settings and set the "Reference Level Offset" to 10dB for your cable box and music sources. Dynamic Volume should be engaged when you want to restrict jumps in volume (e.g. watching a movie late at night and you turn it up to hear the dialogue, but then the explosions start and you have to jump for the remote). You might end up turning Dynamic EQ off for video games though as it can sometimes muck up the surround field, especially with first-person shooters.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2093 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Anyone who feels that they have been provided very useful assistance from batpig should at least consider throwing a few bucks or more into his paypal account via his "donate" button on the front page of his website, found here...

Batpig's Tin Cup

His kind of incredibly helpful knowledge doesn't come along every day and you're certainly not going to find it from Denon. I, on the other hand, refuse to donate a penny*.

* Only because I don't own a Denon receiver.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #2094 of 3925 Old 07-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommydCat View Post

Your laptop is likely outputting a progressive signal. 1080P requires very high bandwidth and cables that are marginal often exhibit artifacts like you're describing. I'd suggest trying another cable that you know can do 1080P without issue (borrow one from a Bluray player maybe?) and see if the issue persists.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply TommydCat..

Looks like every thing is now working...

I had tested with 2 different cables hooked up to the AVR-3310CI with the same result, thinking it could be a cable issue. I also used one of those same cable and bypassed the AVR-3310CI. Issue subsided. So I definitely thought it was stemming from the AVR..

Hooked up the HDMI via AVR to start trouble shooting again and wala every thing started working. Don't know why it started working, but as long as it is work I am happy..
post #2095 of 3925 Old 07-24-2010, 01:59 PM

Liked: 11
I can't believe so many people are having such issues with this receiver!!! I have had mine for about a month now and could not be happier! Everything, network updates, streaming, HD radio, and of course the unbelievable sound and video quality work extremely well. I keep expecting something to fail because of all the problems on this site, but I can tell you, if you are wanting an exceptional av receiver for way under a grand, this is an incredible purchase and I would not hesitate too much based on what you read here.
post #2096 of 3925 Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrockstar View Post

I can't believe so many people are having such issues with this receiver!!! I have had mine for about a month now and could not be happier! Everything, network updates, streaming, HD radio, and of course the unbelievable sound and video quality work extremely well. I keep expecting something to fail because of all the problems on this site, but I can tell you, if you are wanting an exceptional av receiver for way under a grand, this is an incredible purchase and I would not hesitate too much based on what you read here.

At the current closed-out price, I have to agree with you that either the 3310 ci or 4310ci is a very good value to be had if it works properly. Too bad that was not my case and I am tired of sending another Denon back to the seller. It's just my bad luck, I guess!
post #2097 of 3925 Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones2571 View Post

You're a moron. Nobody is "showing hatred." I had a simple question as to warranty. The other poster correctly pointed out that the deal you claimed is apparently not available anymore. Furthermore, bing cash back takes 30+ days to actually hit your account. At any point during that time the store can take back your cashback. Until you get the bcb in your account you haven't scored any deal.

He can call another poster a moron but if you refer to people like Harvey Milk as a moron on here you get suspended. Wow...terrible ethics there, don't you think?

<><

RTR
post #2098 of 3925 Old 07-26-2010, 05:17 PM

Something strange must be going on here. From the web interface, I cannot turn the main zone on and off. When I connect via the web, the main page is pretty slow to display, and the main zone power on/off buttons are even slower to come up. They finally do appear, and then when I click on power on, nothing happens. This at one point did work, and I'm not sure I changed anything, but now it doesn't. At the same time, my custom control program that connects to the telnet port, gets a constant stream of nulls. This is pretty frustrating, and a serious defect of the product. They advertise both the ethernet control and web interface as features of this product, and they do not work correctly. Frankly, this is really bad news.
post #2099 of 3925 Old 07-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegeld View Post

Something strange must be going on here. From the web interface, I cannot turn the main zone on and off. When I connect via the web, the main page is pretty slow to display, and the main zone power on/off buttons are even slower to come up. They finally do appear, and then when I click on power on, nothing happens. This at one point did work, and I'm not sure I changed anything, but now it doesn't. At the same time, my custom control program that connects to the telnet port, gets a constant stream of nulls. This is pretty frustrating, and a serious defect of the product. They advertise both the ethernet control and web interface as features of this product, and they do not work correctly. Frankly, this is really bad news.

For example, for you Linux folks, if you run the following command:

nc denonhost 23 > /tmp/x

The file /tmp/x will fill with an endless stream of 0x00 (ascii null) characters. If I power cycle the denon once it is in this bad state, and from the front of the receiver turn the power on, the denon telnet port will work correctly.
post #2100 of 3925 Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 AM

Well, I've posted the following question to Denon on their website. We'll see what they have to say:

I am having trouble with both the web interface and custom control via the Ethernet port. The problems are probably related. When I connect to the Denon web interface, if the receiver is turned off, I get the screen that allows me to turn on the receiver. When I click on power on, nothing happens. I have configured the receiver correctly and it is on network standby mode. If the receiver is on, there is no problem controlling it from the web interface. I do not understand why I cannot power it on? Second, I have a custom control application that connects to the receiver on internet port 23 (telnet). If the receiver is turned on and I connect, everything works fine. My program can control the receiver. If the receiver is turned off and I try to connect, sometimes (but not always) the receiver gets in a mode where it transmits and endless stream of ascii 0x00 characters on the port. At this point there is no way to control the receiver. I need to do a full powercycle (pull out the power cord) to get it out of this state. I have four denon 3310ci receivers and they all have both these problems. I also have one denon 4310ci receiver and it does not have either of these problems. The web interface works perfectly and my custom control program that connects to it via the Ethernet port works correctly. All my receivers have the latest version of your firmware installed. Given this, I must conclude that there is a software defect present on the 3310ci but not on the 4310ci.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page