** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2131 of 3925 Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,297
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post

OK, which is better and why?

1. Run wires from AVR to outside speakers ~ 100-150' away across the yard?

2. Run RCA from pre-out to another amp ~75' away, then go to the speakers?

since your question really has nothing to do with the 3310 specifically, why not post your question as a general thread in the AVR forum? You will get a much wider audience and probably are more likely to find someone who has the specific knowledge to advise you in this situation.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
batpig is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2132 of 3925 Old 08-05-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Plex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: North Huntingdon, Pa 15642
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

since your question really has nothing to do with the 3310 specifically, why not post your question as a general thread in the AVR forum? You will get a much wider audience and probably are more likely to find someone who has the specific knowledge to advise you in this situation.

Well, it does have to do with the 3310 which these connections will be hooked up to. I had posted this question on the last page but it was not answered directly, so i modifiied it on this repost. I should have include that the 3310 was the source AVR.

I'll give this a chance to run a few days if no responce I'll do as you suggested and post a general thread question.

Audyssey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Plex is offline  
post #2133 of 3925 Old 08-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Member
 
feathermerchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post

OK, which is better and why?

1. Run wires from AVR to outside speakers ~ 100-150' away across the yard?


2. Run RCA from pre-out to another amp ~75' away, then go to the speakers?

I would not recommend 1 or 2 where I live because it would be difficult to protect against lightning, etc unless buried.
If you do 2 it will offer som eprotection to your AVR. Any reason you cannot go RF?
feathermerchant is offline  
post #2134 of 3925 Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,297
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post

Well, it does have to do with the 3310 which these connections will be hooked up to.

It really doesn't. It's a generic question about hooking up outdoor speakers and whether a super-long speaker wire run would be better/worse than a long RCA run. The specific brand or model of AVR you are hooking up to is not really relevant. The answer would be the same whether you were using the Denon 2310, 3808, 4310, 1910, or even any similar 7.1 Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. ... so why limit the audience of people who could help you?

Quote:


I had posted this question on the last page but it was not answered directly

I am aware -- that is specifically why I suggested you post a general thread, because I could see that you were going to have trouble getting a specific response given that you are limiting your audience to only people reading this particular thread.

Really, I'm trying to be helpful I would love to provide you with an answer but it's really outside the scope of my expertise.

My suspicion is that you will be perfectly fine with speaker wire -- just make sure to get outdoor-rated burial grade low voltage wire. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...ource=googleps

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
batpig is online now  
post #2135 of 3925 Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Plex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: North Huntingdon, Pa 15642
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

It really doesn't. It's a generic question about hooking up outdoor speakers and whether a super-long speaker wire run would be better/worse than a long RCA run. The specific brand or model of AVR you are hooking up to is not really relevant. The answer would be the same whether you were using the Denon 2310, 3808, 4310, 1910, or even any similar 7.1 Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. ... so why limit the audience of people who could help you?



I am aware -- that is specifically why I suggested you post a general thread, because I could see that you were going to have trouble getting a specific response given that you are limiting your audience to only people reading this particular thread.

Really, I'm trying to be helpful I would love to provide you with an answer but it's really outside the scope of my expertise.

My suspicion is that you will be perfectly fine with speaker wire -- just make sure to get outdoor-rated burial grade low voltage wire. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...ource=googleps

Ok, thanks for your input, I'll post a thread in the general area and see what shakes out there

Audyssey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Plex is offline  
post #2136 of 3925 Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Plex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: North Huntingdon, Pa 15642
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post

I would not recommend 1 or 2 where I live because it would be difficult to protect against lightning, etc unless buried.
If you do 2 it will offer som eprotection to your AVR. Any reason you cannot go RF?

Not sure what you mean by RF, RF to the other AVR or the speakers? RF to another AVR would be great if it doesn't break the bank.

Audyssey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Plex is offline  
post #2137 of 3925 Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Member
 
tullnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

New fw downloaded today took about 5 minutes didnt require a reset..

So I just downloaded it. Walked away and came back after about 15 mins.

I'm ethernet connected to a 20Mb fiber connection.

Display reads:
Ether SBL 01min
Update Check OK

But it's been sitting there for about another 10 mins without changing.

edit - so I waited almost an hour, no change.

I did a power off. Rebooted, seems like it's basically working fine. Network shows it still pulling an IP and is pingable. I have it set for a static address.

When I tried to update hte firmware again, it just sat there looking for an update and finally went off that screen. I tried to remote into it via a browser...page cannot be displayed.

So almost seems like I've lost all network functionality.

Great. Did some research and this isn't uncommon across the line. Not making me feel all warm and fuzzy.

So is there a way to get this file and load it via USB or anything? Or am I totally screwed?

There is currently no display over the video.

Do I power it off and hope it just didn't issue the "restart" command correctly?
tullnd is offline  
post #2138 of 3925 Old 08-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Newbie
 
browser47210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I am not 100% sure but it appears to have improved remote connectivity via the web app. I played with this a bit and it seems a bit more responsive from both pc and iPhone apps. Would be excellent if denon started providing release notes...

Downloaded the latest update. Seems to have updated without a problem in about the stated amount of time. As far as rebooting, the update does that all by itself. I have only tried the web interface. It seems a "little better", but still clunky in IMHO.

Can anyone tell me what app I need to put on my Iphone to control the 3310CI ? Thanks in advance.
browser47210 is offline  
post #2139 of 3925 Old 08-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Newbie
 
browser47210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see that on the Denon owners club homepage that an addendum is available for the 3310CI user's manual. I have not compared it to the Manual that came with the unit on June 10, 2010, to see what the adds are. Maybe the manuals will get better ?

One way to keep a customers loyal and returning is to have proper user instructions. I mean what good is a fighter jet, to someone who does not know how to fly ?
browser47210 is offline  
post #2140 of 3925 Old 08-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Newbie
 
browser47210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by browser47210 View Post

I see that on the Denon owners club homepage that an addendum is available for the 3310CI user's manual. I have not compared it to the Manual that came with the unit on June 10, 2010, to see what the adds are. Maybe the manuals will get better ?

One way to keep a customers loyal and returning is to have proper user instructions. I mean what good is a fighter jet, to someone who does not know how to fly ?

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-3310CI-...ndum-E_009.pdf

Quick link to the Addendum.
browser47210 is offline  
post #2141 of 3925 Old 08-07-2010, 05:29 AM
Member
 
mjclifford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullnd View Post

So I just downloaded it. Walked away and came back after about 15 mins.

I'm ethernet connected to a 20Mb fiber connection.

Display reads:
Ether SBL 01min
Update Check OK

But it's been sitting there for about another 10 mins without changing.

edit - so I waited almost an hour, no change.

I did a power off. Rebooted, seems like it's basically working fine. Network shows it still pulling an IP and is pingable. I have it set for a static address.

When I tried to update hte firmware again, it just sat there looking for an update and finally went off that screen. I tried to remote into it via a browser...page cannot be displayed.

So almost seems like I've lost all network functionality.

Great. Did some research and this isn't uncommon across the line. Not making me feel all warm and fuzzy.

So is there a way to get this file and load it via USB or anything? Or am I totally screwed?

There is currently no display over the video.

Do I power it off and hope it just didn't issue the "restart" command correctly?

Welcome to the world of the bricked AVR. Tech Support recommended that I download firmware to fix another problem, it was bricked, and they said to send it back. After five weeks (they lost it for 2) I received a refurbished unit.

Some people here have brought them back from the brink of death by doing a full system reset. That's about all you can do. My sympathies.

mjclifford
mjclifford is offline  
post #2142 of 3925 Old 08-07-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mariob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Holbrook, Ma
Posts: 1,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by browser47210 View Post

Downloaded the latest update. Seems to have updated without a problem in about the stated amount of time. As far as rebooting, the update does that all by itself. I have only tried the web interface. It seems a "little better", but still clunky in IMHO.

Can anyone tell me what app I need to put on my Iphone to control the 3310CI ? Thanks in advance.

you need no special application just open your safari browser and type in the network address (something like 192.199.199.2 you can find under network info) and it should bring you to a page which mimics loosely the 3310 menus system. You will first pick main or one of the other zones to control and presto.. The denons have software loaded which is accesible by a client browser. The best approach is to assign your 3310 a static ip address and bookmark that entry page for future access.

In search of video bliss...
mariob33 is offline  
post #2143 of 3925 Old 08-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Newbie
 
browser47210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the tip on Iphone control. It works for me now.
browser47210 is offline  
post #2144 of 3925 Old 08-07-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,297
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by browser47210 View Post

I see that on the Denon owners club homepage that an addendum is available for the 3310CI user's manual. I have not compared it to the Manual that came with the unit on June 10, 2010, to see what the adds are. Maybe the manuals will get better ?

make the manual better? yeah right!

the addendums are released when new features are released as upgrades, e.g. when the 3808ci got Dynamic EQ / Vol and the 3310ci got DSX.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
batpig is online now  
post #2145 of 3925 Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Member
 
eireeos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would someone who owns a AVR990 or 3310ci be so kind as to measure the depth of the case not taking into account the front dials. I need to see if it will fit in my unit before I can even consider it. Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.
eireeos is offline  
post #2146 of 3925 Old 08-08-2010, 04:50 AM
Member
 
bch238's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eireeos View Post

Would someone who owns a AVR990 or 3310ci be so kind as to measure the depth of the case not taking into account the front dials. I need to see if it will fit in my unit before I can even consider it. Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

The case is almost exactly 14.5" deep, which includes neither the front dials nor the rear connectors (e.g. RCA and speaker connectors).
bch238 is offline  
post #2147 of 3925 Old 08-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Member
 
eireeos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you very much bch238.
eireeos is offline  
post #2148 of 3925 Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Newbie
 
jr1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The last network card failure Denon sent me the 3311CI.

I will monitor both forums 3310 and 33111.
3311 a little diff.
jr1234 is offline  
post #2149 of 3925 Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Member
 
bch238's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my 3310ci wirelessly connected to my Windows 7 computer. I use Windows Media Player 11. Sharing is properly enabled, and I am able to stream from the computer. But....

The problem is that the alphabetical "search" function routinely hangs, or there is so much lag that it nearly impossible to navigate. Scrolling through 2500 artists (more than 150 Gigs) is so time consuming that popping a CD in the player is quicker.

Is the situation improved with a wired iPod dock, i.e. the ASD-11R? Anybody have any experience with this dock? Anybody have a better experience with streaming from a music server?
bch238 is offline  
post #2150 of 3925 Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Member
 
bch238's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bch238 View Post

I have my 3310ci wirelessly connected to my Windows 7 computer. I use Windows Media Player 11. Sharing is properly enabled, and I am able to stream from the computer. But....

The problem is that the alphabetical "search" function routinely hangs, or there is so much lag that it nearly impossible to navigate. Scrolling through 2500 artists (more than 150 Gigs) is so time consuming that popping a CD in the player is quicker.

Is the situation improved with a wired iPod dock, i.e. the ASD-11R? Anybody have any experience with this dock? Anybody have a better experience with streaming from a music server?

I'm going to answer my own questions, sort of:

I switched from Media Player 11 to Tversity (free download) and the Denon search function is VERY MUCH faster. Who needs an iPod dock?
bch238 is offline  
post #2151 of 3925 Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Member
 
netorders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bch238 View Post

I have my 3310ci wirelessly connected to my Windows 7 computer. I use Windows Media Player 11. Sharing is properly enabled, and I am able to stream from the computer. But....

The problem is that the alphabetical "search" function routinely hangs, or there is so much lag that it nearly impossible to navigate. Scrolling through 2500 artists (more than 150 Gigs) is so time consuming that popping a CD in the player is quicker.

Is the situation improved with a wired iPod dock, i.e. the ASD-11R? Anybody have any experience with this dock? Anybody have a better experience with streaming from a music server?

Yea it is a mess. Using xbmc. Hoping for fix. iPod is good for mp3s etc. Not flac ogg or higher quality stuff. Might get new Mac mini w hdmi when refurbs are available. Expensive but it turns tv & Denon into a full blown Internet media ctr. Also rumor has a $99 apple tv is on its way. Denon solution is pricey just for iPod solution. Have fun. It just a money pit!
netorders is offline  
post #2152 of 3925 Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Member
 
luckydog2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksnbeans View Post

Has anyone had an issue upgrading to DSX? To accomplish this apparantly you go to the website http://usa.denon.com/SHOP/Webpage.aspx?WebpageId=2 and input the upgrade ID and serial number. This is supposed to trigger a portal where you can purchase the upgrade. When I do this it says "Your Upgrade ID is either not valid or has already been activated. Please check your information and enter the correct Upgrade ID. If you continue experiencing problems please call Customer Service at 1-201-762-6665." I called support on friday and they said they would call me back with an answer (but have not yet.) I also emailed support and they said they would get back to me (but the have not.) I also asked through the support portal and 24 hours later they responded with "Double check your Upgrade ID and make sure you copied it down correctly"!!!!!! Of course I have checked both serial number and upgrade ID 100 times!! Your stupid automated message already said that!! Im afraid after another 24 hours the next answer is going to be "make sure the unit is plugged in." Thought I would check in with the forum to see if anyone had any ideas. I have the new firmware installed and the network works fine. Either way I dont think this would cause an error with the codes and purchasing the upgrade on their website. Any input is always greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You need to fax+email the info in first. I called their number afterwards to check if they received it, and they confirmed receiving the fax. I received the authorization via email two days later (if you did not receive any confirmation, you just need to call them to confirm again), and I was able to perform the DSX upgrade when it connected to the server and authenticated my AVR990. Everything worked fine with the DSX upgrade.
luckydog2006 is offline  
post #2153 of 3925 Old 08-10-2010, 01:42 AM
Member
 
mjclifford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bch238 View Post

I have my 3310ci wirelessly connected to my Windows 7 computer. I use Windows Media Player 11. Sharing is properly enabled, and I am able to stream from the computer. But....

The problem is that the alphabetical "search" function routinely hangs, or there is so much lag that it nearly impossible to navigate. Scrolling through 2500 artists (more than 150 Gigs) is so time consuming that popping a CD in the player is quicker.

Is the situation improved with a wired iPod dock, i.e. the ASD-11R? Anybody have any experience with this dock? Anybody have a better experience with streaming from a music server?

I experienced the same problem after my first unit was returned with a new network card. Search did not work at all; the system would lock up every time, forcing a power reset. After several weeks in the shop, Denon swapped out for a refurbished unit. Total time in the shop: Seven weeks.

mjclifford
mjclifford is offline  
post #2154 of 3925 Old 08-10-2010, 04:27 AM
Member
 
bch238's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclifford View Post

I experienced the same problem after my first unit was returned with a new network card. Search did not work at all; the system would lock up every time, forcing a power reset. After several weeks in the shop, Denon swapped out for a refurbished unit. Total time in the shop: Seven weeks.

mjclifford

Tversity (replacing WMP 11) has solved all my problems, and it literally took 30 minutes to download (free) and set up. My library was immediately, if only partially, available as it began to populate Tversity, and the entire library is now available after completely loading overnight. If I rip a CD in iTunes, it automatically loads into the Tversity library within 12 hours, or nearly immediately if I force a refresh of the library. Navigation on the 3310ci is literally 1000% faster and very usable. The alphabetical search is still a little slow, but I can zip through the menu a page at a time, whereas before this was very clunky with WMP 11.

While I am sure that some experienced actual hardware failure, my experience makes me wonder how many unwittingly attribute problems to the 3310ci where blame should be on the network and/or media server software. I know I was at that point. Denon should have devoted more pages in the manual to this topic, for sure.
bch238 is offline  
post #2155 of 3925 Old 08-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Nikonowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I just got the AVR 990 and I need help setting it up - I upgraded from AVR 998. What differences if any should I be aware of and how I set it up especially in video scaling department. Are there any seetings that some of you had posted already perhaps. I am going to be running Satelite DVR , PS3 and upconverting DVD player OPPO into this AVR.

I know that I have to setup Audyssey as well ...

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Nikonowski
Nikonowski is offline  
post #2156 of 3925 Old 08-10-2010, 05:58 AM
Member
 
luckydog2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonowski View Post

Hi Guys,

I just got the AVR 990 and I need help setting it up - I upgraded from AVR 998. What differences if any should I be aware of and how I set it up especially in video scaling department. Are there any seetings that some of you had posted already perhaps. I am going to be running Satelite DVR , PS3 and upconverting DVD player OPPO into this AVR.

I know that I have to setup Audyssey as well ...

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Nikonowski

There is no easy way. Just trial and error. The Denon manuals s**k, and even though there are lots of other documented help, its not great. But with a bit of trial and error and piecing together the info, you should be able to get it all working to the way you want.
luckydog2006 is offline  
post #2157 of 3925 Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Nikonowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog2006 View Post

There is no easy way. Just trial and error. The Denon manuals s**k, and even though there are lots of other documented help, its not great. But with a bit of trial and error and piecing together the info, you should be able to get it all working to the way you want.

Thanks luckydog ... I know it is trial and error but I need to start somewhere so any point of reference would be appreciated

As I said I had my avr 988 pretty much setup the way I wanted along with Bravia XBR TV but now just by changing receiver everything seems to be off especially HD picture I did not think that just changing receivers would do that as I had my TV calibrated before. Now the HD channels look different not as bright not as contrasty - totally different , I am so dissapointed so far with this new AVR. I though it was a bit better.
Perhaps all can be saved with appropiate settings - so any help would be appreciated. Perhaps someone has the very similar setup ?

I have not tried the PS3 Blu ray yet - that's next. Is video processor really better in this AVR versus my old one AVR 988 ?

Thanks ,
Nikonowski
Nikonowski is offline  
post #2158 of 3925 Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,297
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
honestly, it isn't that much different from your 988. if you are comfortable with your old model's menus not that much has changed beyond the additional video processing and networking options, and the feature additions of Audyssey Dynamic EQ / Volume.

read through my website for descriptions of some new settings (hdmi video processing, and Audyssey stuff especially).

there is absolutely no reason you should have seen a change in the HDMI picture quality. by default, your new model does not do ANY video processing on HDMI sources, just like your old receiver. you have to specifically enable HDMI video processing.. and, even then, it should not be changing brightness, contrast, color, etc. it's just a scaling solution (unless you go activate the picture tweaks under "video adjust").

basically, your video problems are NOT the AVR... something else has changed, most likely the picture mode on your TV are you using the same HDMI input on the TV as before?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
batpig is online now  
post #2159 of 3925 Old 08-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Member
 
luckydog2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Nikonowski,

I agree with batpig's response. My HDMI picture sources are unchanged to my plasma. I don't want the AVR990 to manipulate any high-def video signals from my HDMI sources e.g. Bluray, PS3, and HD cable. I only want the AVR990 to manipulate the SD signals only.
luckydog2006 is offline  
post #2160 of 3925 Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Nikonowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog2006 View Post

Hi Nikonowski,

I agree with batpig's response. My HDMI picture sources are unchanged to my plasma. I don't want the AVR990 to manipulate any high-def video signals from my HDMI sources e.g. Bluray, PS3, and HD cable. I only want the AVR990 to manipulate the SD signals only.

Thanks to both of you luckdog and batpig - so are you suggesting that I do i/p scaling off for HDMI and leave it on just for SD/analog sources ?

I swear that I did not change my TV modes - I had them setup for over 2 years :Standard for HDTV watching and Custom for PS3 Bluray. Once I disconnected the old reciver and put the new one in - the picture for the two mentioned modes is totally off and different . It looks like I have to start playing settings again from scratch. This is not cool at all. We all have gotten used to the colors etc with old modes.

Also, is it true that AVR 990 is using Anchor Bay processor found in Divo Edge ? If so I don't see a huge improvement ??? Is there another AVR from Denon that I should consider instead of AVR 990 ? The reason I switched from teh old one, was the following features:

- networking
- dynamic EQ and volume
- Anchor Bay Video processing i.e. I can now force output HD TV to 1080p/24

I have 28 days to solve my issue or I will return the 990. Is the AVR 991 a better AVR ?

Thanks so much for your help.

Nikonowski
Nikonowski is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off