** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3910 Old 07-09-2009, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like I'm one of the first one's out here with the unit so here we go with a few basic thoughts and comments.

1. Great looking unit. Pictures don't do it justice. Sharp looking and dare I use my wife's term "elegant."

2. Manual Does suck - as shown in ALL DENON AVR PRODUCTS
-Thanks to Batbig for his Amazingly thorough walkthrough for setting up Denon AVRs.

3. Remote sucks. And the wife thought the Onkyo 797's Remote was bad. It's really cheap looking and feeling for a $1500 receiver. I'd just be embarrassed if I were Denon. Next on my list - the Harmony One (or Harmony Two if they ever release it).

4. Interface. Takes some getting used to. I'm really just a few hours into it but I will say I find it rather intuitive. It's not the best thing ever, but it does the job and I don't foresee myself in there often. That being said, it still feels like a text menu system with a GUI dropped on top of it.

5. Customization. Wow. There's just a ton of it. I'm just scratching the surface and I'm very impressed. One of the highlights - full video control (Tint/Contrast/Saturation/etc) tied to each input. I don't know if anyone else does it, but I am very pleased.

6. Audyssey Speaker Set up. Haven't gotten to it yet. Spent 2 hours plugging in the components and finishing the speaker wire banana plugs. At that point the wife sticks her head in and asks, can we eat and watch Burn Notice? Of course we can.

7. Audio Quality. I'm coming here from a 9 year old Onkyo 797 - which did (and still does) a phenomenal job. Really sounded great. Warm tones and good power for those big booming moments. The Denon features some very warm tones and sounds great. More as I get deeper into testing.

8. Video Upscaling. Told you we watched Burn Notice. Standard Def over Digital Cable. Looked a lot cleaner than the upscaler in my Sharp LCD. We also watched last night's Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (HD Channel with SD cameras for the show) - my wife even mentioned how everything looked sharper. Colors deeper.

9. PS3 / 360. Both hooked up and played fine. It's too late to blast the Blu Ray, would wake up my daughter. I'll test it over the weekend.

10. Networking. Plugged the unit it, had everything set up and after 15 minutes it warns me about a NEW FIRMWARE. I canceled as we were watching TV and eating. Will wait until the weekend to update I think.

So that's my first night with the 3310. Hope it wasn't too rambly, I'm tired. But any questions, thoughts, etc give me a shout and I'll dig in and see what I can find.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3910 Old 07-10-2009, 04:00 AM

I am very much looking at this AVR for my system. I recently bought some new Paradigm's and don't think my current AVR does them justice so I'm actively in the market for a new one. Your initial review seems to be pretty positive, but please keep us updated as time goes along. Thanks.

ez
post #3 of 3910 Old 07-10-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Almost forgot, last night after I posted I spent a bit programming the TV into the remote. I want to say easy enough, but it wasn't. Just cumbersome. It goes like this.

1. Make sure your input slider is in the correct position.

2. Press the buttons on the front of the device to activate "learning mode."

3. Flip remote over.

4. Open back door and enter code. Hope you don't hit any buttons on the front while holding the remote, too (I did this).

5. Hope it works. When it doesn't, flip remote back over and start again.

I need to get that Harmony One soon.
post #4 of 3910 Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 PM

I think either this receiver or the 4310 is likely to be in my future. Just need to decide which! I'm glad to hear good things about the 3310 thus far.
post #5 of 3910 Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM

I'm seriously looking at the 3310 or 990 to replace my older 3803. I still have an non-hdmi TV and am trying to determine if I can replace the reciever first and then the TV. Does anyone know if you can get the GUI at all (even if not an overlay but with a black background) out of the component inputs? The manual doesn't really indicate if you get anything if you don't use hdmi.

Also, I'd like to be able to hook up hdmi and component coming out of my bluray player and have the sound decoded from the hdmi to get the lossless codecs but still hook up the video through component at 1080i for now. Ditto for my PS3 and DirecTv DVR.... Does anyone know if this is possible?

I know this is not optimal but I really can only buy a new reciever this year and new TV next year or vice versa. If I could do the above, it would sufice for a year.

thx.
post #6 of 3910 Old 07-10-2009, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_STL View Post

I'm seriously looking at the 3310 or 990 to replace my older 3803. I still have an non-hdmi TV and am trying to determine if I can replace the reciever first and then the TV. Does anyone know if you can get the GUI at all (even if not an overlay but with a black background) out of the component inputs? The manual doesn't really indicate if you get anything if you don't use hdmi.

Also, I'd like to be able to hook up hdmi and component coming out of my bluray player and have the sound decoded from the hdmi to get the lossless codecs but still hook up the video through component at 1080i for now. Ditto for my PS3 and DirecTv DVR.... Does anyone know if this is possible?

I know this is not optimal but I really can only buy a new reciever this year and new TV next year or vice versa. If I could do the above, it would sufice for a year.

thx.

I can try the GUI over component for you tomorrow. Right now I've got everything running through the HDMI to the set.

As for the HDMI (audio) and component (video) at the same time - I'm pretty sure this won't work. HDMI needs the handshake to output. And it is notoriously sensitive. It's all part of the HDCP which I have been struggling with at work. There are external boxes you can buy to make the HDMI split the HD Video and Audio, like the HD Fury 2. They talk about it a lot around these parts (mostly in the projector areas). I've never used one so I'd suggest checking with someone who has one.

Mark
post #7 of 3910 Old 07-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Mark,

Have you used the volume overlay feature yet? I am interested to see if the volume actually shows up on the tv screen and how long it stays there.

Dan
post #8 of 3910 Old 07-11-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan711 View Post

Mark,

Have you used the volume overlay feature yet? I am interested to see if the volume actually shows up on the tv screen and how long it stays there.

Dan

Yes, the volume overlay (over HDMI) is there. It's a small black box with white text in it. Not too large. Not sure if you can resize/move it. I haven't timed it, but I'd say it's up for about 3 seconds.

Mark
post #9 of 3910 Old 07-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Are there any official reviews out there yet?
post #10 of 3910 Old 07-13-2009, 08:51 AM

Hi, I am about to pull the trigger and buy a 3310, but the key feature for me is that the Volume slider shows on the screen when using HDMI at 1080. I have 3808 and 889 units, and will be upgrading the 889 just to get this feature (crazy, I know, but my eyes in a deep room (16') can not see the volume numbers!).

So, would appreciate someone's experience (and if you could PM also - I'd extra appreciate it!).

Thanks, Steve
post #11 of 3910 Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekaden View Post

Hi, I am about to pull the trigger and buy a 3310, but the key feature for me is that the Volume slider shows on the screen when using HDMI at 1080. I have 3808 and 889 units, and will be upgrading the 889 just to get this feature (crazy, I know, but my eyes in a deep room (16') can not see the volume numbers!).

So, would appreciate someone's experience (and if you could PM also - I'd extra appreciate it!).

Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve.

As an owner of the 3310 I can confirm, much to my wife's delight, that the Volume is indeed on screen over HDMI.

Mark
post #12 of 3910 Old 07-13-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan711
Mark,

Dan

Yes, the volume overlay (over HDMI) is there. It's a small black box with white text in it. Not too large. Not sure if you can resize/move it. I haven't timed it, but I'd say it's up for about 3 seconds.

Mark

That is a very useful feature IMO. If your reciever is out of sight, you are always guessing at the volume setting.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #13 of 3910 Old 07-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Since there seems to be so much interest in this...perhaps one of you owners (or Mark are you the only one so far?)wouldn't mind doing a quick picture and post it.

I would very much appreciate seeing it.

Thanks, steve
post #14 of 3910 Old 07-13-2009, 06:42 PM

Just got Denon 3310CI from ONECALL. Very impressed with their quick shipping time. I spent last night setting it up with my Panasonic P54V10, Panasonic BD60 and Klipsch RF82. The picture quality is very good, not amazing (I would say I expected better but I can't compare with other TV/Receiver combination side by side so it's subjective). Anyway, since Denon receiver does all video upconversion, I want to disable video processing in my DVD player and let Denon do the work. Does anybody know how to do it?

By the way, Stevekaden, if you go to Crutchfield website, they have really nice pictures of the receiver.
post #15 of 3910 Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Hi, Yes, I use Crutchfield alot, and even buy from them at times. But I was hoping to see a picture of the volume display. I can imagine it is large enough to easily see, but would like confirmation of that. This is just a critical issue for me.

Besides....is any Denon receiver any more than a silky black box with a blue display and two knobs??? (except for the few in silver...)

steve
post #16 of 3910 Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by icure View Post

Just got Denon 3310CI from ONECALL. Very impressed with their quick shipping time. I spent last night setting it up with my Panasonic P54V10, Panasonic BD60 and Klipsch RF82. The picture quality is very good, not amazing (I would say I expected better but I can't compare with other TV/Receiver combination side by side so it's subjective). Anyway, since Denon receiver does all video upconversion, I want to disable video processing in my DVD player and let Denon do the work. Does anybody know how to do it?

Unless you've changed it the 3310 has the conversion already set to on. So all you would have to do is figure out how to get your DVD player not to upconvert. It could be tied to your output. HDMI? Component?

Mark
post #17 of 3910 Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by santora View Post

I can try the GUI over component for you tomorrow. Right now I've got everything running through the HDMI to the set.

Greg.

Haven't forgotten about your request about GUI over Component. Just been real busy here and I don't have an extra set of component cables lying around. I can snag a set from the office and try tomorrow night.

Mark
post #18 of 3910 Old 07-13-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

These are from the 3310ci over HDMI to the Sharp 46inch set. Sorry Dave's a little blurry.

post #19 of 3910 Old 07-13-2009, 11:56 PM

Wow....great shots. Thanks. Definitely readable across a room.
post #20 of 3910 Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 AM

Yes, that's exactly what I am trying to do, disable video conversion in my DVD player so Denon receiver can do the conversion but I can't figure out how to do that. I don't think DVD player let you control the video conversion function through menu.
post #21 of 3910 Old 07-14-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 892
*reserved*

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #22 of 3910 Old 07-14-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by icure View Post

Yes, that's exactly what I am trying to do, disable video conversion in my DVD player so Denon receiver can do the conversion but I can't figure out how to do that. I don't think DVD player let you control the video conversion function through menu.

that's really up to you and your DVD player. have you looked in your DVD player's manual?

not all DVD players can output the raw 480i over HDMI (some force "progressive" 480p output) but there definitely should be a place where you can set output resolution, e.g. 480p vs 720p vs 1080i etc. Check the manual.

Quote:

Yes, the volume overlay (over HDMI) is there. It's a small black box with white text in it. Not too large. Not sure if you can resize/move it.

see pg 42 of the manual (option setup > GUI settings) -- there is a "Master Volume" option where you can choose top or bottom (or off) for the volume display... although you can't resize it.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #23 of 3910 Old 07-14-2009, 03:19 PM

Didn't see that a thread had started on this. Here are some initial impressions I posted in another topic:

Here
post #24 of 3910 Old 07-14-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarOso View Post

Didn't see that a thread had started on this. Here are some initial impressions I posted in another topic:

Here

Hey Frank.

Glad to see you're enjoying the unit. I still haven't had time to do the Audyssey set up. Will most likely wait until I've got the Entertainment Center finished - I'm re-staining it and adding temperature controlled fans as it's enclosed.

I'm tempted to pull the Sega Genesis out and see how well it scales with the 3310. =-)

Mark
post #25 of 3910 Old 07-14-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Hey Frank.

Glad to see you're enjoying the unit. I still haven't had time to do the Audyssey set up. Will most likely wait until I've got the Entertainment Center finished - I'm re-staining it and adding temperature controlled fans as it's enclosed.

I'm tempted to pull the Sega Genesis out and see how well it scales with the 3310. =-)

Mark

Funny, I am building a new entertainment center as well. I am going to recess it into the wall to make use of some unused space on the other side of the wall (a corner of the garage that is not useful for anything else). Hopefully together with the in wall speakers and wall mounted LCD it will lead to a very clean look.

Genesis, eh? Hmm, I have a 2600, NES and SNES available too. Might be pretty interesting to see an "*OFFICIAL* Upconverted retro gaming thread"

- Frank
post #26 of 3910 Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarOso View Post

Funny, I am building a new entertainment center as well. I am going to recess it into the wall to make use of some unused space on the other side of the wall (a corner of the garage that is not useful for anything else). Hopefully together with the in wall speakers and wall mounted LCD it will lead to a very clean look.

Genesis, eh? Hmm, I have a 2600, NES and SNES available too. Might be pretty interesting to see an "*OFFICIAL* Upconverted retro gaming thread"

- Frank

I see that kind of thread getting very, very dangerous. I've still got the bulk of my consoles, including the 2600 + the Jaguar!!!

How well do you think the scaling in the 3310 will work? Make the dragon in Adventure look like Panzer Dragoon Zwei?

Mark
post #27 of 3910 Old 07-14-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:

How well do you think the scaling in the 3310 will work? Make the dragon in Adventure look like Panzer Dragoon Zwei?

Mark

Haha, hopefully so. I still play Super Mario Kart regularly (play battle mode with a friend), so I have that readily available. Might throw it up tonite to see how it looks.

- Frank
post #28 of 3910 Old 07-14-2009, 06:46 PM

So to those of you have this, what made you decide to go with this instead of the 4310, other than the obviously significant extra cost? Any regrets or features you miss?

Electronics Expo has a fantastic deal on this ending tonight with their "employee pricing" special. I'm very tempted, but debating if I'd miss the extra power, MultiEQ XT, extra I/O, and future possibilities with DSX.

That all being said, HDMI standards, the new > 7.1 options, and networking features and functions all seem to still be evolving, so maybe it makes some sense to save some cash and go with the 3310, which should still be a nice upgrade from my 7 year old pre-HDMI Onkyo.

Has anyone been able to compare sound quality on this with the 3808 (or the 4310 for that matter)?
post #29 of 3910 Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_STL View Post

thx.

OK Greg. The answer for you about Component GUI - Yes. Everything of the GUI (or at least what I saw while I was fooling around) appeared on the screen.

Thing to remember though - is that the unit does not Down Convert. Meaning if you hook up a Blu Ray player via HDMI, it will not display via the 3310ci's component output. No HDMI inputs (PS3/Xbox 360/Blu Ray/ etc) will output via component.

All give thanks for HDCP for this one...

Mark
post #30 of 3910 Old 07-15-2009, 06:01 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:

Thing to remember though - is that the unit does not Down Convert. Meaning if you hook up a Blu Ray player via HDMI, it will not display via the 3310ci's component output. No HDMI inputs (PS3/Xbox 360/Blu Ray/ etc) will output via component.

What he's asking though, is whether it's possible to connect BOTH an HDMI cable AND a component cable from his source to the 3310 with a component cable going out to the HDTV. The HDMI input would take priority over the component normally, however there should be no issue with the HDMI audio working, and if he can get the video to go out over both cables from the source (possible maybe with the Blu-Ray, but not possible with the PS3), it might be possible. Perhaps you can test this?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page