first time AVR buyer - Onkyo 507, Denon 1709, Denon 1610 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, the new home we moved into has mains, surrounds, and a center channel in the walls and ceiling. There is also 1 pair of speakers in the ceiling of the master bedroom with a wall mount control, which is fed by a single pair of binding posts. All speakers are 8 ohm. With an AVR and a subwoofer and I'll have my first 5.1ch setup. However, I want to be able to listen to music in both the family room and bedroom, so A+B stereo output is important. My initial desire for the AVR is for music, but I figure I should enjoy better movie watching too. I've noticed that the Denon receivers require 12 ohm speakers if using both A+B. Hmm, I think I'll need to change out the volume control in the master bedroom to add some resistance.

I would like to buy an AVR. I have my choices narrowed down to the Onkyo TX-SR507, Denon AVR-1709, and Denon AVR-1610.

Watching TV is not so important that I will pay extra for a HD DVR setup. For us (wife & I), paying what we do for DirecTV DVR Plus is borderline a waste of money. Watching movies may or may not be so important that I will go Blu-Ray and a HDTV. We'll look at those options when the TV and/or DVD player gives up the ghost. It basically boils down to whatever a HDTV and Blu-Ray costs at whatever point in time it is that I need to make the purchase. I'd rather put $$ into new mountain bike parts, or a four wheeler for the kids, or some activity that puts us outside rather than sitting on the couch. However, since the speakers are already there, I figured I could get away with $400 to $500 for AVR & sub-woofer. Oh yeah, there's cables too, but you get understand now that whiz bang is not of utmost importance.

Here's my current equipment list:
  • TV video input - component, s-video, composite
  • TV audio input - composite
  • DVD video output - component, s-video, composite
  • DVC audio output - digital (both optical and coaxial), composite
  • Sat DVR video output - s-video, composite
  • SAT DVR audio output - digital optical, composite
If my new TV is HD, will there be any purpose in having HDMI upconversion on the AVR if I am only feeding the AVR s-video from the Sat DVR? I haven't followed DVD technology in a while, but I'm guessing our next DVD player will probably have HDMI output, regardless if it's Blu-Ray or not.

The only AVR on my list with component upconversion is the 1709, so if I go 1610 or 507, I'll need to connect both s-video and component between the AVR and TV, because that's what it's being supplied with from the DVR and DVD. No big deal I guess, it's just one more cable. I also want to supply TV with composite audio for when I don't want to send audio to 5.1 speakers. Would I still need to have AVR powered up for this, or is there a pass-thru when AVR is powered down?

Hey folks, it's late and I'm getting up in 6 hours. Thank you for your answering my dumb questions, but this stuff has come a long way since the last time I did any research. I just don't want to over buy, but I also don't want to under buy.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Again, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 02:32 PM

Anyone? I'm looking at the same receivers right now.

I can go to the store tonight and get:

AVR-590 - $298
Onkyo 507- $298
Onkyo 607 - $367

Or should I hold off and order a 1709 for about $200?

For the foreseeable future I will be running digital audio from my PC (via x-fi) for Blurays, music and games, and digital out from my HD DVR box. I do have the option of upgrading my sound card to stream lossless HDMI audio for blurays down the road.

What do you guys think?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

fiveohno - Would you please edit your post and remove the prices. I don't want the prices in your post screwing up my thread.

I'm hoping somebody can please answer my question from last week.

Thank you.

Roy
post #4 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Post Number 3 so that I can post links.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

fiveohno - Here's the link explaining that you can't list prices other than MSRP.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=850593
post #6 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 PM

Yeah, the reason for no prices is prevent solicitation, which since I posted no links or business names, I am obviously not doing. I am just trying to make a decision and the prices are relevant to that.

I would have started my own thread, but we are pretty much in the same boat and I didn't want to add more clutter to the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page