Yamaha RX-V765 firmware upgrade... - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 27 Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V765 receiver to replace an older receiver with no HDMI or much of anything for that matter.

Anyway, I was looking on Yamaha's website and noticed that there is a firmware upgrade for this receiver. I downloaded the WAV audio file, burned it to a cd as a CDDA format to play the audio like a normal audio cd. I can play the cd on my DVD player or computer and it sounds like a lot of clicks and such, as I imagine it should.

I have a Samsung DVD player that I've used the optical output on to update the receiver. I've also used my computer which has an optical output as well. Neither of these solutions have worked. The receiver still says "CDDA Upgrader" on the front panel, and by what Yamaha says on their website, within a couple of seconds of starting the upgrade, the front panel should change.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've tried my Samsung DVD player, my computer, I do have a PS2 but have not tried that yet. I don't have any other DVD players in the house and I do not have a stand alone CD player with coaxial or optical out on it.

Ideas and input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I finally figured out what my issues were. I did end up using my PS2 with Optical Output selected.

I had been using IMG burn to make a CUE file of the WAV file and then burning the audio cd like that, but that wasn't working.

Anyway, I downloaded and installed Nero 9. I opened up full Nero Burning Rom, not the express. I then went to Audio CD and then NEW. Then I dragged the file over that I needed to put onto the CD.

The settings I used are 16x, Track-at-once, Write (checked), Finalize Disc (checked), No text written on CD.

I burned that, loaded it into the PS2 and followed the upgrade instructions provided by Yamaha.

The CDDA Upgrader message went away after a couple of seconds the the ROM chip in the receiver started erasing blocks of data and writing new ones as it should.

I wanted to post this reply because I really can't stand it when someone has a problem and then they just up and say, "nevermind, I fixed it" without posting their fix.

Since google crawls this forum, maybe this post will be able to help someone else out as well.
majorspawn likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks for the update. It took me a long time to get my receiver updated. I finally used my old sony cd player that my Dad had. Now the new update is out and it's nice to know that I might be able to use my ps3. I tried my Panasonic dvd, a Toshiba hd-dvd player, and directly connected from my pc and had no luck. The firmware update procedure is great in concept, but it sure is touchy.

I'd really like to be able to do it directly from my pc since I already have an optical out going to it.

Greg
post #4 of 27 Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Liked: 10
Thank you. This helped. I tried using my 10-year old mini system's cd player (that has optical out) and I turned off the cd player's equalizers and such. It was a pretty simple little system so I figured if all options were off it should work... but no. It didn't. So then I tried following these instructions for using the ps3: www wiredathome com story.php?title=yamaha-firmware-update-with-ps3 -- that didn't work either. What did work for me was using the ps2 as described. Thanks!

The burning software I used, which DID work, was CDBurnerXP which is completely free. Worked just fine.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any re-sampling or changing the frequency will make it not work. You have to transfer the WAV file bit-for-bit exactly like the original. Your PC's are probably set at 48Khz default and you have to switch it to 44.1Khz (CD standard). Also any volume control or DSP will throw it off bit perfect. Do a search for bit perfect output. I was able to update my Yamaha from the PC's optical cable because I already had my system setup for bit perfect output.
post #6 of 27 Old 11-03-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddified View Post

The burning software I used, which DID work, was CDBurnerXP which is completely free. Worked just fine.

I should add that the second time I updated (to the latest version), I had lots of problems. The solution was to turn the burn speed waaay down. My dual layer DVD burner drive had "16x" as the slowest burn speed (using CDBurnerXP), but still gave me trouble. When I used my much older, plain old CD writer drive, it gave me the option to go as slowly as "4x" for the burn speed. That did the trick. Slow burn, and use PS2 to play back to the receiver.....
post #7 of 27 Old 12-29-2009, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

This is my first post on AV, but have been looking in for a while.

Any way, bought the Yamaha RX-V765 and had a few problems with the upgrade (K032) as well, but managed in the end. Here are a couple of the issues I had:

1. First make sure if you are using a DVD player to switch the digital out to PCM mode.

2. I'm using Windows 7 and media player to burn the update file. The first disc did not work, so I changed some of the Windows Media Player burn options. Untick the "Apply volume levelling across tracks" and untick, "Use media information to arrange files in folders on the disc"

This seemed to help and the upgrade worked a treat. Hope this helps.

nomad_z
ravee_h likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Does anyone know where to download the k032 wav file? I can't find it on the Yamaha web site.

Many thanks in advance,
pvaughan
post #9 of 27 Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvaughan View Post

Does anyone know where to download the k032 wav file? I can't find it on the Yamaha web site.

Many thanks in advance,
pvaughan

I will try to direct you how if you go to this place:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17703544

I don't know why we have so many posts for 765 when there is already one started and a good one too!
post #10 of 27 Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoydinako View Post

I will try to direct you how if you go to this place:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17703544

I don't know why we have so many posts for 765 when there is already one started and a good one too!

People don't believe in searching forums

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #11 of 27 Old 02-19-2010, 02:30 PM

Bought a brand-new RX-765 about three weeks ago and wanted to apply the firmware upgrade. After a couple of passes, it wouldn't take. I figured there were so many opportunities for a mistake on my part I'd probably never figure out what I did wrong, so I took it to an authorized repair shop to have it done.

After burning several discs and trying several times, the repair tech couldn't get the upgrade installed either. It's been two weeks since this fiasco started and the receiver is now at Yamaha.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening to someone else? What was the final resolution?
post #12 of 27 Old 02-19-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sectin 334 View Post

Bought a brand-new RX-765 about three weeks ago and wanted to apply the firmware upgrade. After a couple of passes, it wouldn't take. I figured there were so many opportunities for a mistake on my part I'd probably never figure out what I did wrong, so I took it to an authorized repair shop to have it done.

After burning several discs and trying several times, the repair tech couldn't get the upgrade installed either. It's been two weeks since this fiasco started and the receiver is now at Yamaha.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening to someone else? What was the final resolution?

A "brand new" unit should have the latest revision installed. Did you check the current version to verify it was an older version? In any case, the supplied instructions work great if you use a player that can pass the data unmolested. Many newer players cannot at least with default settings.

I'll assume you needed the video input assignability features and it didn't already have that, since there's no other reason to install the update. To answer your question, many folks have the same trouble and just give up.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

A "brand new" unit should have the latest revision installed. Did you check the current version to verify it was an older version? In any case, the supplied instructions work great if you use a player that can pass the data unmolested. Many newer players cannot at least with default settings.

I'll assume you needed the video input assignability features and it didn't already have that, since there's no other reason to install the update. To answer your question, many folks have the same trouble and just give up.

I'd hoped it would have the latest revision too. Anyway, it was packaged and sold from an authorized dealer as new, looked and smelled new and there was no issue when the authorized repair shop verified the serial number. I did make it a point to check the software version before attempting the upgrade.

I'm not sure whether my problem was the cd player (I have a ca. 1994 Pioneer Elite with a digital out) or the disc(s) I burned. Anyway, what I'm really surprised at is the fact that the tech apparently couldn't do it either.

Your assumption is correct, I wanted the video input assignability.

If I hadn't taken it to the shop, I'd be giving up, too.

Thanks for the input.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-19-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sectin 334 View Post

I'm not sure whether my problem was the cd player (I have a ca. 1994 Pioneer Elite with a digital out) or the disc(s) I burned. Anyway, what I'm really surprised at is the fact that the tech apparently couldn't do it either.

I'm not surprised about the shop tech, not at all.

Based on other reports, usually when the problem is the player, it will start the process then fail while loading the update - resulting in no update.

Player must be set to bitstream raw data over SPDIF. In any case, it's out of your hands now.
post #15 of 27 Old 02-25-2010, 11:42 AM

Thought I'd leave an update to my story: According to the tech, Yamaha could not update the firmware either. Now they're changing parts. The tech said something about the "DSP Module," although I may have that wrong.

I'm really starting to wish I'd bought something else.
post #16 of 27 Old 10-14-2010, 01:56 PM

I've been on the technical end of the broadcast industry for 25 years and I can't believe the absurd update process for the x65 product line. If you don't have a PS2 it seems to be a problem. Not, what you would call, customer friendly.
post #17 of 27 Old 10-15-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by George2 View Post

I've been on the technical end of the broadcast industry for 25 years and I can't believe the absurd update process for the x65 product line. If you don't have a PS2 it seems to be a problem. Not, what you would call, customer friendly.

Only the lower end of the line uses the CD method, because those models don't have USB or Network ports. You should commend Yamaha for doing this because it means their entire line can be upgraded by the user, whereas other manufacturers (such as Denon) leave many of their users with no way to update firmware without shipping it to a service centre.

And most CD burning software and DVD players will work, you just have to be careful that nothing is modifing the data in the .wav file in any way.
post #18 of 27 Old 10-17-2010, 07:50 AM

I have updated the FW of many pieces of equipment over a period of years using the methods required here. All of them successful without issue. However, the Yamaha 765 is a strange duck. The FW update will succeed only if the moon is in the proper position and it is the second Tuesday of the week.
post #19 of 27 Old 10-22-2010, 09:29 PM

I just upgraded mine without one problem. It was easy as pie...... : )
post #20 of 27 Old 11-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What issues does the various firmware updates correct? I see there are 2 updates available.
post #21 of 27 Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 AM

I tried 11 times with a Dennon CD player and three other players. No luck. Tried two buring programs and used both Coax and Optical connections. Only worked when I had an error free disc in a PS2. Really odd.
post #22 of 27 Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 AM

I actually used iTunes on my Mac and fed it to the Surround using an an Apirport Express with AirPLay connected with Toslink cable. Worked fine for me.

Proper Sound and Video just makes life grand. Enjoy AVS forums for the information its community provides.
post #23 of 27 Old 03-25-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_z View Post

1. First make sure if you are using a DVD player to switch the digital out to PCM mode.

2. I'm using Windows 7 and media player to burn the update file. The first disc did not work, so I changed some of the Windows Media Player burn options. Untick the "Apply volume levelling across tracks" and untick, "Use media information to arrange files in folders on the disc"
nomad_z

nomad_z tips are exactly what helped me. I tried to burn the wav file several different ways and it would not work. Not until I went into Windows Media Player on my Windows 7 PC and changed the burn options did the disk burn correctly. Once I tried it with this disk it started the update after 10 seconds from starting the disk in my DVD player.

Also, one other thing to note is on the back of my receiver (RX-A700) there are two coaxial connections. I used the one labeled (CD). Not sure if it makes a difference on which one you use but that is that worked for me.

Now on 2.05!
post #24 of 27 Old 06-25-2011, 05:01 AM

Yamaha RX-V567 receiver firmware update:
By using following:
(1)Yamaha RX-V567
(2)Sony BDP-S480
(3)CD burning software: ROXIO (in windows 7)
(4)Cable used: coaxial (only one pin at both ends)
(5)Procedure: (i) Connected one end of a coaxial cable (digital audio pin cable) to DIGITAL OUT (PCM/DTS/Dolby Digital, COAXIAL) of the blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S480) and (ii) the other end to the input (AV3) which could be used for playing cds. (iii) follow the procedure as per Yamaha installation manual for firmware update.
Note: DID NOT change any setting of the blu-ray player i.e. did not change setting to PCM or turned off DTS etc and DID NOT change any setting in ROXIO software in order to burn the cd.
Thanks!!!
Good Luck!!!
post #25 of 27 Old 08-11-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendsley View Post

I finally figured out what my issues were. I did end up using my PS2 with Optical Output selected.

I had been using IMG burn to make a CUE file of the WAV file and then burning the audio cd like that, but that wasn't working.

Anyway, I downloaded and installed Nero 9. I opened up full Nero Burning Rom, not the express. I then went to Audio CD and then NEW. Then I dragged the file over that I needed to put onto the CD.

The settings I used are 16x, Track-at-once, Write (checked), Finalize Disc (checked), No text written on CD.

I burned that, loaded it into the PS2 and followed the upgrade instructions provided by Yamaha.

The CDDA Upgrader message went away after a couple of seconds the the ROM chip in the receiver started erasing blocks of data and writing new ones as it should.

I wanted to post this reply because I really can't stand it when someone has a problem and then they just up and say, "nevermind, I fixed it" without posting their fix.

Since google crawls this forum, maybe this post will be able to help someone else out as well.

Thanks very much for this information, used by PS2 to update my Yamaha RX-V667. Just an FYI, I first tried using a meter long optical cable and this did not work, Then tried using a shorter 30-40 cm one and it worked straight away. Very easy, the update took about 15 minutes. Its actually the exact length of time as the wav length of the update file.
post #26 of 27 Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_z View Post

Hi,

Any way, bought the Yamaha RX-V765 and had a few problems with the upgrade (K032) as well, but managed in the end. Here are a couple of the issues I had:

nomad_z

These instructions from nomad worked perfectly for me. thanks nomad! Earlier, I had burned a disc in windows media player without un-checking those options and it didn't work. btw, I also set the PCM option under the DVD player sound menu and used an optical cable. My cable is about 2ft long. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V467.
post #27 of 27 Unread Today, 08:28 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_z View Post
Hi,

nomad_z
This worked for me on a RX-V1800. Sorry to bump up an old post but hopefully someone will stumble across this when Googling.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V765bl 665 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page