Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 762 Old 11-08-2009, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuvial View Post

I am not seeing the on screen display when I select Setup (or for anything else). The screen goes black for a few seconds then the TV sets a blue screen for "no video signal". I am using the HDMI out connector to connect to the tv as described in the manual.

I have seen the OSD when using a non-HDMI connection through a different component, so I know it does work.

Any ideas what's going on?

On my tv I hd to re-name the HDMI 1 input to av-receiver and my tv recognized my 160 so you could try and go back over the first time setup and input assignments in the manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 762 Old 11-08-2009, 09:15 PM

The input works fine for displaying the signal to the tv (it is named AVR). I just don't get the OSD.
post #183 of 762 Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuvial View Post

The input works fine for displaying the signal to the tv (it is named AVR). I just don't get the OSD.

Not every function is available on tv screen and for some I have to use the 160 screen but if you hit receiver then setup on the remote should get you into the OSD.
post #184 of 762 Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvansowhat View Post

Not every function is available on tv screen and for some I have to use the 160 screen but if you hit receiver then setup on the remote should get you into the OSD.

That's what I'm doing but I get nothing. Well, not nothing. It tries. I get a black screen then the TV blue screen. What I find odd is that it was working when I had my old DVR selected, but now that doesn't work either.

I contacted Onkyo and was told to make sure that OSD was turned on. It is, and I let them know, we'll see what they say next.
post #185 of 762 Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 PM

Heard back from Onkyo. They suggested a reset by holding VCR/DVR then pressing Standby until "Clear" appears in the display. Apparently this resets all users settings.

And it worked! I have the OSD on the HDMI output.

Now I have to go through the setup process again.
post #186 of 762 Old 11-16-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvansowhat View Post

It sounds like the Tosh. is not doing the right handshake with the 160. I had a handshake problem on a HD Sat source once and all I did was turn the 160 off then back on and problem went away. You may want to try a different player first and see if that clears it up.

Looks like the problem was the DVD player. The receiver is working fine with many other devices (Tivo HD, HD cable box, BluRay player). So I'll blame the Toshiba DVD player and replace it with a Panasonic BluRay player.
post #187 of 762 Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniwaki View Post

Looks like the problem was the DVD player. The receiver is working fine with many other devices (Tivo HD, HD cable box, BluRay player). So I'll blame the Toshiba DVD player and replace it with a Panasonic BluRay player.

A lot of problems like these are probably due to the HDCP protocol found in most new AV equipment so older players etc. have the hand shake troubles. If you look at most new eq. you will see that it says HDCP compliant.
post #188 of 762 Old 11-17-2009, 05:53 PM

Just purchased the HT-RC160, and I am having some problems right out of the gate.

I have a Motorola cable box (DCX3200) and an HTPC are hooked up to the receiver via HDMI in. A Sony Bravia (40V2500) is hooked up to the receiver via HDMI out. The HTPC displays in 1080p, but the cable box will only display in 480p. Any advice, as I have not seen this problem in this or other forums.

Thanks!
post #189 of 762 Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 PM

does any one know the easiest way to hook up a coaxil cable tv line to the 160? I dont have a cable box.
post #190 of 762 Old 11-18-2009, 04:36 AM

hey all. Just took the plunge finally. ordered it yesterday and it will be here today, gotta love being in the same state as the warehouse! also getting the free iphone dock, hoping the wife lkes that for her music. I also picked up the energy take 5 classic which is a much needed upgrade to my crappy speakers i have now.

So i'll have 42" Westinghouse 1080p LCD
Directv HD-DVR(20 model i think)
Wii
Soon to be purchased blueray player with netflix
RC-160
Appletv/Boxee
post #191 of 762 Old 11-18-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red97vette View Post

does any one know the easiest way to hook up a coaxil cable tv line to the 160? I dont have a cable box.

You mean like the cable tv line that comes from the wall? If that's what you mean....you can't hook it to the ht-rc160

Bobby Heenan: I could've been President...if I wanted to take a pay cut and move into a bad neighborhood.
post #192 of 762 Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunhippy View Post

hey all. Just took the plunge finally. ordered it yesterday and it will be here today, gotta love being in the same state as the warehouse! also getting the free iphone dock, hoping the wife lkes that for her music. I also picked up the energy take 5 classic which is a much needed upgrade to my crappy speakers i have now.

So i'll have 42" Westinghouse 1080p LCD
Directv HD-DVR(20 model i think)
Wii
Soon to be purchased blueray player with netflix
RC-160
Appletv/Boxee

The free iphone/ipod dock is nice, but I don't think you get much of an OSD with the free dock. I can only get the volume and basic functions to show on my hdtv when using my ipod. Wish I could get the album artwork to show while that particular artist is playing, but alas. Oh well, it was free.
post #193 of 762 Old 11-20-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart041 View Post

Just purchased the HT-RC160, and I am having some problems right out of the gate.

I have a Motorola cable box (DCX3200) and an HTPC are hooked up to the receiver via HDMI in. A Sony Bravia (40V2500) is hooked up to the receiver via HDMI out. The HTPC displays in 1080p, but the cable box will only display in 480p. Any advice, as I have not seen this problem in this or other forums.

Thanks!

Now my HTPC is being downconverted to 480p. I even did a reset of all settings. Any thoughts out there?
post #194 of 762 Old 11-23-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart041 View Post

Now my HTPC is being downconverted to 480p. I even did a reset of all settings. Any thoughts out there?

check to make sure your graphics card is outputting 1080, it maybe stuck at 480...also check to make sure you have the newest drivers.
post #195 of 762 Old 11-27-2009, 02:46 PM

Just curious folks...Just picked up a 160 for a great black friday price; before opening box i'm curious about sound quality. Specifically; does anyone know how does it compare to the panasonic all digital recievers (sa-xr 25/50/55/57/70 etc). Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
ArtT

Art T
post #196 of 762 Old 11-28-2009, 04:17 PM

I have a few questions about this receiver if anyone can help me out.

First off, when playing a Blueray shouldn't the TrueHD light come on? I have a Sony BDP-BX1 and had Iron Man playing.

Secondly, has anyone experienced any distortion with picture and audio? So far I have only noticed it on HD channels. I know it's not coming from my cable box after watching for uncorrectable blocks in diagnostics. I've also heard a clicking sound on my receiver and noticed the HDMI light and the red dolby digital light blink off and back on when it does this.

I don't know if maybe it's my HDMI cords. I have identical cords between the cable box/receiver and the tv/receiver. It's a Belkin, part #P47892.

I attached a screenshot of the cable if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
LL
post #197 of 762 Old 11-29-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtT View Post

Just curious folks...Just picked up a 160 for a great black friday price; before opening box i'm curious about sound quality. Specifically; does anyone know how does it compare to the panasonic all digital recievers (sa-xr 25/50/55/57/70 etc). Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
ArtT

All I can say is that the audio is very clean. My front speakers consist of B&W CDM-1's, and a B&W CDM-CSE. My rears are Def Tech Bipoles, and my sub is a Velodyne ULD-15 Series II. I have Nothing to complain about with the audio. I have never felt lacking, expecially once I set the custom EQ for each speaker. That is a great feature, and it allowed me to timbre match my three front speakers very well. Almost all of my content on this receiver is Dolby True HD or DD 5.1, or DTS-MA. Haven't listened to too much two channel audio. Hope this helps.

Dan
post #198 of 762 Old 11-30-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK1982 View Post

I have a few questions about this receiver if anyone can help me out.

First off, when playing a Blueray shouldn't the TrueHD light come on? I have a Sony BDP-BX1 and had Iron Man playing.

Secondly, has anyone experienced any distortion with picture and audio? So far I have only noticed it on HD channels. I know it's not coming from my cable box after watching for uncorrectable blocks in diagnostics. I've also heard a clicking sound on my receiver and noticed the HDMI light and the red dolby digital light blink off and back on when it does this.

I don't know if maybe it's my HDMI cords. I have identical cords between the cable box/receiver and the tv/receiver. It's a Belkin, part #P47892.

I attached a screenshot of the cable if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It all depends on your set-up. Provide more details if you can....is your player set to bitstream or do internal decoding?

Bobby Heenan: I could've been President...if I wanted to take a pay cut and move into a bad neighborhood.
post #199 of 762 Old 12-03-2009, 07:20 AM

Is the 160 smart enough to know the max resolution of the device being output to? For example; my source is a Blue Ray at 1080p connected to the 160 using hdmi. The tv is 1080i connected to the receiver using hdmi to dvi. I can't get a picture with this configuration. Is the 160 trying to force 1080p to the tv, and since the tv doesn't support it I get nothing? I can connect direct from the blue ray to the tv using the hdmi to dvi cable and I have no problem. Also no problem if I connect using componant cables. If I can't connect the blue ray player using the hdmi connection to the receiver, then is it possible to get full 7.1 using optical audio connection? From what I have read in the manual, 5.1 is the bst you can get from player using optical.
post #200 of 762 Old 12-03-2009, 08:03 AM

Ordered my HT-RC160 from NewEgg and it should arrive tomorrow. Just noticed on my tracking that it is called HT-RC160RT. What does the RT mean? The item I put into my cart on NewEgg doesn't say RT at the end.
post #201 of 762 Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednc1 View Post

Is the 160 smart enough to know the max resolution of the device being output to? For example; my source is a Blue Ray at 1080p connected to the 160 using hdmi. The tv is 1080i connected to the receiver using hdmi to dvi. I can't get a picture with this configuration. Is the 160 trying to force 1080p to the tv, and since the tv doesn't support it I get nothing? I can connect direct from the blue ray to the tv using the hdmi to dvi cable and I have no problem. Also no problem if I connect using componant cables. If I can't connect the blue ray player using the hdmi connection to the receiver, then is it possible to get full 7.1 using optical audio connection? From what I have read in the manual, 5.1 is the bst you can get from player using optical.

Can you tell the blu-ray player to send out a 1080i signal? At least in my Panasonic dmp-bd35, I can set the resolution to match that of my display. As for 7.1 via optical, yes you can, but optical cables do not work for lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master Audio) be it 5.1 or 7.1.

post #202 of 762 Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 AM

Is there a way to get this receiver to output the "reference level" and also display the volume as an offset from the reference level (i.e. +/- x dB away from the "reference")
post #203 of 762 Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So I just purchased the 160 which will arrive in about a week. Question regarding banana plugs. I haven't used them with my current set up but thought it could be easier with the Onkyo. Does anyone use these to connect the wires in the back? Can it?

Thanks
post #204 of 762 Old 12-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

So I just purchased the 160 which will arrive in about a week. Question regarding banana plugs. I haven't used them with my current set up but thought it could be easier with the Onkyo. Does anyone use these to connect the wires in the back? Can it?

Yes, you can use banana plugs for all of the speaker connections except for Zone 2. Those have spring clips so you need bare wires or pin connectors.
post #205 of 762 Old 12-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck's Dad View Post

Can you tell the blu-ray player to send out a 1080i signal? At least in my Panasonic dmp-bd35, I can set the resolution to match that of my display. As for 7.1 via optical, yes you can, but optical cables do not work for lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master Audio) be it 5.1 or 7.1.

That's exactly how I have to send the video signal to my 56" JVC 720p rear projection HDTV. Since it does not accept a 1080p signal, I will get no picture if I try to send it via my JVC blu ray player. So, after much comparing, I found the 1080i picture looks better than the 720p picture from the blu ray player.
post #206 of 762 Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by another schmo View Post

Yes, you can use banana plugs for all of the speaker connections except for Zone 2. Those have spring clips so you need bare wires or pin connectors.

Thanks, just to confirm, the BP's go into those holes in the back of the speaker connections. I tried that years ago with my denon and it didn't work for some reason.
post #207 of 762 Old 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

Thanks, just to confirm, the BP's go into those holes in the back of the speaker connections. I tried that years ago with my denon and it didn't work for some reason.

Yes....they go into the black and red holes, accordingly. This is a good guide to use from monoprice.com. It has a pretty good pic of the banana plugs seated in their correct positions.

http://www.monoprice.com/manual/INST...NA%20PLUGS.pdf
post #208 of 762 Old 12-04-2009, 05:10 AM

Just picked one of these up for $310 from 6th Ave (via Amazon). Great deal IMHO.
post #209 of 762 Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow1994 View Post

That's exactly how I have to send the video signal to my 56" JVC 720p rear projection HDTV. Since it does not accept a 1080p signal, I will get no picture if I try to send it via my JVC blu ray player. So, after much comparing, I found the 1080i picture looks better than the 720p picture from the blu ray player.

I will try that, but as I said in my post, I can connect directly from the blu ray player to the tv using the hdmi to dvi with no problems, but when I go through the receiver, I lose the picture. The player streams Netflix, and i can't even see that if connected to the receiver.
post #210 of 762 Old 12-04-2009, 09:33 AM

Liked: 12
Just got a set of energy takes 5's, gonna pair this with them. Hope I have as much luck as everyone else.

Diretv HR21
HTPC w/Br
DVD
VCR
65" Olevia

Media closet
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page