The "Official" Onkyo HT-RC160 Thread - AVS Forum
1 2  3  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" Onkyo HT-RC160 Thread
stereomandan's Avatar stereomandan 07:56 AM 07-31-2009
I'll be recieving one of these today, and wanted to start an official thread to discuss this receiver. I'll post my impressions once I have it up and running. Looks to be an incredible bang for the buck.

List Price: $549
Street Price: Much less

Dan

Features
Amplifier
• 80 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohms @ 0.08% THD
• 130 Watts/Channel @ 6 ohms
• WRAT-Wide Range Amplifier Technology
• Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
• H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High Power Transformer

Processing
• HDMI Video Upscaling (to 1080i Compatible) with Faroudja DCDi Edge Enhancement, also 1080P 60hz and 24 hz pass thru
• HDMI ver.1.3a with Repeater System (Deep Color, x.v.Color, Lip Sync, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DSD and Multi-CH PCM)
• Dolby Pro Logic IIz (with “Front High” Direction Mode)
• Non-Scaling Configuration
• A-Form Listening Mode Memory
• Direct Mode
• Music Optimizer for Compressed Music
• 192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converters
• Powerful and Highly Accurate 32-bit DSP Processing

Connections
• 5 HDMI Inputs and 1 Output
• Onkyo for System Control
• 4 Digital Inputs (2 Optical / 2 Coaxial)
• Component Video Switching (2 Inputs/1 Output)
• Front “Portable” Input for iPod and MP3 Players
• Universal Port for the Dock for the iPod/HD Radio™ Dock
• Dual Subwoofer Pre Out
• Banana Plug-Compatible Speaker Posts
• Powered Zone 2 and Zone 2 Line Out
• Bi-Amp Capability

Miscellaneous
• 40 AM/FM Presets
• Audyssey 2EQ™ to Correct Room Acoustic Problems
• Audyssey Dynamic EQ™ for Loudness Correction
• Audyssey Dynamic Volume™ to Maintain Optimal Listening Level and Dynamic Range
• Crossover Adjustment (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/200 Hz)
• A/V Sync Control Function (up to 100 ms in 10 ms steps)
• On-Screen Display via HDMI
• Aluminum Front Panel
• Preprogrammed (with On-Screen Display Set-up) -Compatible Remote

afrogt's Avatar afrogt 09:14 AM 07-31-2009
What's the difference between this and the Onkyo 607?
stereomandan's Avatar stereomandan 10:05 AM 07-31-2009
According to the Onkyo website, when you perform a comparison, the 607 adds:

10 watts more power per channel, DTS Surround Sensation Speaker processing, a front HDMI input, SIRIUS Radio Ready, and $50 to the MSRP.

Thats all I could find.

Dan
stereomandan's Avatar stereomandan 07:54 PM 08-01-2009
Thrilled with this receiver after I got it all setup!

I especially love the ability to adjust the EQ for the Fronts, Center, Rears, and sub seperately. There are around six frequency bands that you are able to adjust for each speaker. (the subs are all in the low frequency range)

I was able to timbre match all of my speakers very well, and achieve a VERY flat response from 65hz-15khz, +/- 2 dB on the front and center speakers. (B&W CDM-1's and B&W CDM-CSE center), and get my sub to be flat from 25-65 hz. This helped very well with blending my sub with the main speaker.

HDMI is working well, with no handshake issues. Nice and fast, and passes the 1080P, 24hz signal just fine. It appears that it does pass blacker than black, and whiter than white.

Sound is very, very clear and the power is ample for my 500 square foot room with a 9' ceiling.

My PS3 decodes the Dolby HD and DTS HD audio codecs and only sends them out thru HDMI PCM, not bitstream. The only bummer about this is that I don't get to see the DTS HD or Dolby HD symbols light up on the Onkyo display. No big deal, the reciever is still playing the soundtracks it should, but I wish the PS3 would bitstream the audio of the lossless codecs so that I could see the cool dispay light up on the Onkyo.

Conclusion:
Highly Recommended!

Dan
joerod's Avatar joerod 08:22 AM 08-02-2009
I have had this Receiver now for a couple of days. It is truly a bargain piece that will benefit many. I plan to post a review shortly...
stereomandan's Avatar stereomandan 09:53 AM 08-02-2009
Look forward to your review!

Dan
naplesvacation's Avatar naplesvacation 10:39 AM 08-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What's the difference between this and the Onkyo 607?

Not much look at this pic from amazon - notice the labeling, has both HT-RC160 abd TX-607.

stereomandan's Avatar stereomandan 10:56 AM 08-03-2009
That's interesting. HT-RC160 on the bottom middle, and TX-SR607 on the bottom right.

Dan
joerod's Avatar joerod 04:13 PM 08-03-2009
The new RC160 Onkyo receiver is best described as a 607 Lite. Not by much though. The RC160 does not have a front HDMI input and instead of 90 watts per channel it has 80 watts. It also has a different Volume knob (pic 2). I was very impressed with the price versus performance in the 607 and am even more so with the RC160. So what does it do for under $400?

It has the new PLIIz Height which I consider a prerequisite for any new receivers/pre-pros coming this Fall. If they do not have it I do not even consider them. For more details on the new Height sound check out my review. The RC160 also does DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD decoding from Blu ray movies. As for Audyssey it has Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ with 2EQ calibration. Onkyo has also included WRAT technology with discrete AMP construction for cleaner sound. You also get analog to HDMI upconversion by Faroujda. You also get 5 1080p/60/24 capable HDMI inputs (name edit feature included) on the back of the unit. And not to mention an iPOD Dock input... Again, all for under $400! How does it perform?

Exceptional. Bitstreaming, I first put in Almost Famous (Blu ray) and was very impressed with the sound stage. The music came to life and the voices sounded like they were in the room with me. The PLIIz Height channels really added to the sensation of being there with Stillwater. I then put in the new Fast & Furious and was floored (no pun intended) with how the engines roared thru my theater. My Wife of course loved the sound of Vin Diesel's deep voice (which the RC160 handled perfectly). I then tested some DirecTV. Starting with the past Superbowl the RC160 handled the crowd really well. It also did Forrest Gump perfectly. While keeping the voices in the Center channel it put the rain and helicopters where they belong (the Height speakers)... True Blood (one of our favorite shows) sounded clean and all the special effect sounds were timed accurately with strong authority. I have 6 subs connected to the RC160 and it has not had a single issue. I also had the RC160 connected to my VW200 pj from a 25 foot HDMI cable and had no signs of signal loss...

TIP: As with the 607 (using the same remote) make sure when selecting inputs you do not accidentally hit the TV button in the remote mode section. If you do just hit the receiver button to get control back.

Final thoughts... The HT-RC160 is the economy buster receiver of 2009. It is perfect for casual home theater fans as well as borderline "semi serious" movie watchers. Especially the ones not wanting to spend more than $400 for a good receiver. Sure you don't get some of the higher model's features like 1080p upconversion and or OSD volume over HDMI but at this price range I am sure many could live without them. If you are on a tight budget or simply want good sound for less, then the RC160 is exactly what you are looking for...
LL
LL
LL
stereomandan's Avatar stereomandan 05:14 PM 08-03-2009
Great review joerod! Thanks!

I don't see the need for any kind of receiver upgrade many years. I've listened to some 2 channel CD audio over the last couple of days, and am very happy with the broad soundstage, and precise placement of instruments and vocals. Like I said, all of the allowable tweaks also let me blend the crossover and level of my sub perfectly with my main speakers.

The receiver is fairly future proof at the moment, and like you say, is the 2009 economy buster.

We're in the middle of watching Fast and Furious as well, and man does the incredible sound get the heart pumping.

Dan
joerod's Avatar joerod 05:17 PM 08-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Great review joerod! Thanks!

I don't see the need for any kind of receiver upgrade many years. I've listened to some 2 channel CD audio over the last couple of days, and am very happy with the broad soundstage, and precise placement of instruments and vocals. Like I said, all of the allowable tweaks also let me blend the crossover and level of my sub perfectly with my main speakers.

The receiver is fairly future proof at the moment, and like you say, is the 2009 economy buster.

We're in the middle of watching Fast and Furious as well, and man does the incredible sound get the heart pumping.

Dan

Awesome! I am glad you like it.
illuvial's Avatar illuvial 04:14 PM 08-04-2009
I have my 160 up and working and I like it. But I seem to have a problem. The 2EQ fails to detect the last rear surround. Even though that speaker outputs audio under normal use.

What gives?
joerod's Avatar joerod 04:17 PM 08-04-2009
Check your speaker connection at both the receiver and the speaker. Make sure it is 100% secure. Then re run the set up. Should get it.
illuvial's Avatar illuvial 05:46 PM 08-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Check your speaker connection at both the receiver and the speaker. Make sure it is 100% secure. Then re run the set up. Should get it.

Yeah, I did that. I'm thinking its a problem with the receiver.

Anyone familiar with Onkyo customer service?
phunhippy's Avatar phunhippy 10:54 AM 08-07-2009
Hey guys,

Looks like the perfect Receiver for my new living room. One question that I"m not sure about, AM I able to hook up just an HDMI connection from my devices with this or do I need an optical cable as well as some other lower end receivers need(don't pass audio on HDMI). Also it will upconvert my component from my wii right if i'm reading it all correctly?

Thanks!
joerod's Avatar joerod 11:08 AM 08-07-2009
Only HDMI is needed. No worries...
stereomandan's Avatar stereomandan 11:51 AM 08-07-2009
...and yes it will upconvert your wii to 1080i

Dan
aoessand's Avatar aoessand 03:34 AM 08-08-2009
one question about this, say i hook up my 360 up with component will it just pass the signal unmolested to the HDMI or will it try to upscale it even though it needs no upscaling? reason i need to put it threw component is cause i have hd dvd add on and it has the black screen hdmi issue with some paramount hd dvds.
PaulLemonhead's Avatar PaulLemonhead 08:22 AM 08-08-2009
Owners of previously released Onkyo receivers always warned of excessive heat and the need for lots of space to provide adequate cooling. Any thoughts on this as of yet?
joerod's Avatar joerod 09:26 AM 08-08-2009
I wondered how long it would be before someone brought up heat here. The RC160 does get warm but not as hot as previous gens. I tested it out but I still use an Antec Component Cooler (since I have one) with any receiver/pre-pro I use. I have to since I tend to have marathons on those crazy NFL Sundays....
stereomandan's Avatar stereomandan 12:19 PM 08-08-2009
Are there any recieviers that don't get warm? Granted, I'm not familiar with how warm previous Onkyo models may have gotten. I think people need to set their expectations of how warm a receiver is supposed to get. I would never recommend placing any compenents over any reciever. If I ever place a receiver in a cabinet, I'm going to have a fan or two for circulation, regardless of what receiver I own.

I've had my HT-RC160 on for about an hour at volume of 50 and it is warm, but not hot, and that's in a small 6"x6" area about 6" back from the volume knob. My Denon AVR-3600 got to around the same warmth.

I leave my receiver fully out in the open on my on top of mu subwoofer cabinet, so I have the best case scenerio to keep heat from building up.

Dan
illuvial's Avatar illuvial 07:09 PM 08-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuvial View Post

Yeah, I did that. I'm thinking its a problem with the receiver.

Anyone familiar with Onkyo customer service?

Onkyo support had the answer.

I'm using a 5.1 speaker system and I connected the rear surrounds to the "rear surround" speaker connections. This is incorrect. In a 5.1 system the rears should be connected to the "surround" connections. The "rear surround" connectors are unused.

Works perfectly now.
FNPonderous's Avatar FNPonderous 12:25 PM 08-11-2009
Just got a refurbished one from shoponkyo for under $300.
Being shipped from Cali -> NY though.
Gonna replace my refurbished Panasonic SA-HE70 from 2002 that still works perfectly. The main reason for the upgrade was my purchase of a Panny BD35, I want my Dolby True HD (and DTS-HD). Pro Logic IIz seems like fun as well. Will post back with my thoughts.
Green Chemist's Avatar Green Chemist 01:12 PM 08-11-2009
That is an excellent deal right now. If the latest FW doesn't fix my issues with my H/K AVR 254, this might be the route I consider. Plus I have a whole bunch of old Onkyo points to burn.
wmarkw's Avatar wmarkw 01:24 PM 08-11-2009
Is this worth the extra $$$ over the 507? I think the 507 lacks the new dolby prologic height thing.
Green Chemist's Avatar Green Chemist 01:33 PM 08-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post

Is this worth the extra $$$ over the 507? I think the 507 lacks the new dolby prologic height thing.

In addition, the 507 is only 5.1 while the RC160 is 7.2. This is the major difference.
wmarkw's Avatar wmarkw 01:44 PM 08-11-2009
Yeah I forgot about that. How are reconditioned units? ShopOnkyo has this deal going on now:

Onkyo HT-RC160 $339 - $33.90 - $10 (both will show up during checkout) = $295.1 + Free shipping

I don't want to do this and then get one w/ a scratched up face, etc.
Green Chemist's Avatar Green Chemist 02:59 PM 08-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post

Yeah I forgot about that. How are reconditioned units? ShopOnkyo has this deal going on now:

Onkyo HT-RC160 $339 - $33.90 - $10 (both will show up during checkout) = $295.1 + Free shipping

I don't want to do this and then get one w/ a scratched up face, etc.

You're not supposed to post prices other than MSRP here on the boards, but hey... I'm not a mod.

As far as shoponkyo goes... I've purchased two things from them: An HTiB (HT-SR-800) and a 6 disc CD changer (DX-C390). Both of these items arrived to me in perfect condition, with all accessories and literature. There were no imperfections that I noticed on either product. The only thing that differentiated them to me from a NIB product was a "refurbished unit" sticker on the back. I personally wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
godfatha's Avatar godfatha 05:40 PM 08-11-2009
I just bought one. Can anyone here recommend some decent speakers for the price that go great with this receiver. Thanks.
steve's Avatar steve 08:02 PM 08-11-2009
I would think twice about buying an Onkyo receiver. I have been a fan of Onkyo in the past, but a recent experience has changed my mind. When I am at Cedia, I intend to talk to them about their service (or lack of service, which is especially suprising when you consider that I spec their products).

I own the SR606 and the Onkyo version of the Integra 9.8 (a/v processor). Both units run extremely hot; much hotter than units from other manufacturers, such as Denon. Not to mention Lexicon (pricey but built like a tank).

The 606 was in my family room. My son used it almost everyday with the ps3, xbox360, FIOS stb and media streamer. Everthing is connected via HDMI.

The a/v processor is in a dedicated theater and thus gets much less use; mainly movie viewing.

After 3 months of use, the audio in the 606 started to drop (blank) out, requiring that the 606 be turned off and back on in order to get the sound back, which would only return after the unit cooled off. I tried rebooting the 606, plus doing other things, in accordance with Onkyo's service personnel instructions. No luck fixing it. Once the 606 warmed up (which took anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour, the sound would drop out via the HDMI connection. Sound continued to work via analog input.

Sent the 606 to local Onkyo service center. They informed me that they are having boat loads of probems with Onkyo units with HDMI 1.3 chips. Much more than other manufacturers. They also stated that they could not repair HDMI problems for Onkyo units (according to them, Onkyo will not supply replacement HDMI boards to local authorized service centers). So they shipped the 606 to Onkyo.

After 1-1/2 months, I called to find out the status. They checked with Onkyo and called back. They were told that Onkyo found the problem to be a bad HDMI board. However, there are no replacement boards in the U.S., and replacement boards are not expected from Japan for at least another 3 months. I confirmed this with the Onkyo service people, who also independently confirmed that their products are experiencing unusually high failure rates of the HDMI 1.3 boards.

So, the 606 will have been in operation for 3 months, and will be in the shop for at least 4-1/2 months. Maybe they are re-designing the board, and that accounts for the delay? I don't know, but whatever the reason, it is totally unacceptable. And if I, a person in the trade can not get satisfaction, what hope does a regular customer have. I can pop a different unit in its place; most people don't have that option.

As noted above, I have been a fan of Onkyo products for a long time. However, given their admission that they are having problems with their HDMI 1.3 boards, I would suggest staying away from Onkyo until they resolve this matter. And an extended warranty is not the solution, because what good is the warranty if the unit sits in the shop for months (which may be longer than the time you used the product).

steve
1 2  3  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop