Official yamaha rx-v995 (old school) receiver thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just bought this dinosaur from ebay yesterday. man this thing has power forever. i couldnt imagine hooking an amp to it, even thought it has all 6 channel pre-outs.

the setup:

ps3 via optical to v995 (audio)
ps3 via hdmi to 47lg70 (video)

motorola via optical to v995 (audio)
motorola via hdmi to 47lg70 (video)

no video connections to the receiver. i dont have any svideo devices anymore.. except wii...

with my other recievers vsx-519 the ps3 showed via the audio setting that it would out up to 5.1 pcm
with the denon 1910 the ps3 showed it would out up to 7.1pcm

with the v995 hooked to it , the ps3 shows only 2.1 pcm.. this is a big let down in that i assumed that if it did pcm it could do 5.1 pcm as well.. apparently unless i am missing a setting 5.1 pcm wasnt happening back in the late 90's!1?

why is this a problem you ask? well because i only 2 front speakers and the rear sub active when i am trying to get dts-hdma surround from the p3 (movie source is master and commander - it supports hdma)

now if i use the yamaha dsp settings with effects on and input to auto then it takes the pcm signal and does its yamaha magic and makes it a FANTASTIC sounding full surround experience. the yamaha dsp has what they call 70mm adventure sound from one of the modes and 70mm scifi from one of the others.. the adventure mode sounds great on master and commander. now all the reading that i have done tells me that this processing is supposed to make it sound like teh poo poo compared to direct unmolested 7.1pcm i guess old ears like old things, i dont know but the dsp processed (magic) 5.1 dts just screams power and clarity on my speakers.. it sounds 10 times better than the hdmi lossless hdma that i experienced on the denon 1910.. of course i fully admit that i may not have had the denon set up properly after 1 month of reading the manual night and day and adjusting the settings, microprocessor resets.. etc etc...

the yamaha took much less time to make it sound like the movie theatre was robbed and reassembled in my living room.. more to follow if you guys are interested...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 400
So you tried a DTS-MA BD disc? How about trying a TrueHD disc and letting us know what happens.

Its possible that Yamaha can't do 1.5mpbs DTS audio. Some of the early receivers had that problem.

Quote:

ps3 via optical to v995 (audio)
ps3 via hdmi to 47lg70 (video)

motorola via optical to v995 (audio)
motorola via hdmi to v995 (video)

That can't be right because the 995 doesn't have HDMI.

Quote:

with my other recievers vsx-519 the ps3 showed via the audio setting that it would out up to 5.1 pcm
with the denon 1910 the ps3 showed it would out up to 7.1pcm

with the v995 hooked to it , the ps3 shows only 2.1 pcm.. this is a big let down in that i assumed that if it did pcm it could do 5.1 pcm as well.. apparently unless i am missing a setting 5.1 pcm wasnt happening back in the late 90's!1?

With these other two receivers you had connected the PS3 via HDMI. Now you are connecting via optical to the RX-V995. I bet you have to change some settings on your PS3. There is a huge thread about using your PS3 as a BD player and the audio settings.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...90&postcount=2

Afro GT
post #3 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
S/PDIF has never been able to transmit more than two channels.

I assume the 995 does DD at least? Set the PS3 to output bitstream for movies in that case. If it does not do DTS, you won't be able to play DTS soundtracks except in two channel.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

So you tried a DTS-MA BD disc? How about trying a TrueHD disc and letting us know what happens.

hmmm.. well i thought it was dts hd ma.. maybe it was just dts-ma..it was blu ray for sure... do you know of any titles right of hand that are in trueHD?

Quote:

Its possible that Yamaha can't do 1.5mpbs DTS audio. Some of the early receivers had that problem.

true. it is hard to learn about receivers that are plus 10 years in age.. i have a sony strd450z that only had two channel inputs and the selection criteria for the 'new' receiver was optical ins and pcm which i know it at least has optical ins... althought the optical connections is damn strange.. the 'wires' if you want to call them that are like tubes?? lol.. i totally bypassed the component and optical audio and digital coax audio connections..

Quote:

That can't be right because the 995 doesn't have HDMI.

you are right.. that should say hdmi to 47lg70.. sorry

damn, missed your edit.
post #5 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I assume the 995 does DD at least? Set the PS3 to output bitstream for movies in that case. If it does not do DTS, you won't be able to play DTS soundtracks except in two channel.

Huh? S/PDIF only transmits two channels? My players send bitstream DD 5.1 and DTS just fine via toslink and digital coaxial. Those are discrete 5.1 channels.

Maybe you meant S/PDIF cant send PCM more than two channels?

Afro GT
post #6 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks for quick replies.. i will be on the phone for a minute then back to it... lolz
post #7 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hello. Blu-ray discs should have a DTS core track embedded in a DTS-HD MA soundtrack. If your receiver can decode DTS, you are in good shape. Otherwise, you might be restricted in what you can hear from a Blu-ray disc with a DTS track. DVD discs I own have a DD soundtrack even when there's a DTS track on them. I am not sure how that works for Blu-ray discs.

post #8 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello. Blu-ray discs should have a DTS core track embedded in a DTS-HD MA soundtrack. If your receiver can decode DTS, you are in good shape. Otherwise, you might be restricted in what you can hear from a Blu-ray disc with a DTS track. DVD discs I own have a DD soundtrack even when there's a DTS track on them. I am not sure how that works for Blu-ray discs.

the receiver can decode dts.. i am not sure whether it has to be bitstream dts or pcm dts.. i know the ps3 hdmi connections require that if you send the later of the formats dtshdma, etc it MUST be liner pcm.. so my line of thought was that all devices decoded them like this.. but this isnt true since some machines send them compressed via bitstream.. i know the v995 decodes dts though.. it is all through the owners manual..

the funny thing is that with the dsp on it sounds so much better.. not sure what magic the receiver is doing but it is right on.. if somehow it is taking the 2 channel pcm info and making it into dts surround.. it is badass for sure...

dts core!!! yikes more terminology .. lol
post #9 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

it does both dolby digital (dd) and digital theatre system (dts) .. what is odd that if i put it in dts mode then it wont play dts hd ma.. which i thought was weird.. it will only play the mentioned blu ray i auto mode.. it has only three settings.. auto, dts, analog..
post #10 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ok, let me lay out some scenarios, as I understand them.

If you set the PS3 to output bitstream, and not PCM, and select a DTS-MA soundtrack, it should send DTS via SPDIF. At least that's my understanding.

Have you confirmed that PS3 is set to output bitstream? You can test this with a DVD disc with a DD soundtrack. If you get PCM from that, you should changed your PS3 setting to output bitstream.

post #11 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Huh? S/PDIF only transmits two channels? My players send bitstream DD 5.1 and DTS just fine via toslink and digital coaxial. Those are discrete 5.1 channels.

That's what I thought I typed or meant in any case. Thanks for the correction.

post #12 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
wow..can I ask what you paid for that sucker? I have an old Yammy 5460 from the late 90's that I use for a 2nd zone, and it sounds really good for music. It will do pcm, but only 2 ch. It decodes dts fine with my ps3 set to bitstream. Those old dsp soundfields do sound good.

There is no comparison between the 5460 and my Denon 789 for movies though. So much more channel separation and depth with the Denon during movies. I can hear sounds from movies that I've never heard before with the Yammy. I don't know if it because of some movies with the lossless audio, or the Denon is just built better for movie soundtracks. Plus it has 7.1, and I would not have my HT setup any other way....

If your happy with the sound of it, that's all that counts...enjoy!

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #13 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I thought I typed or meant in any case. Thanks for the correction.

so am i reading this correctly, that pcm via optical on the ps3 is limited to 2.1 channels? but it can send multi channel via BITSTREAM via optical?
post #14 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv47lg70 View Post

so am i reading this correctly, that pcm via optical on the ps3 is limited to 2.1 channels? but it can send multi channel via BITSTREAM via optical?

Yes, and it can send DD and DTS via optical when set on bitstream.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #15 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, let me lay out some scenarios, as I understand them.

If you set the PS3 to output bitstream, and not PCM, and select a DTS-MA soundtrack, it should send DTS via SPDIF. At least that's my understanding.

Have you confirmed that PS3 is set to output bitstream? You can test this with a DVD disc with a DD soundtrack. If you get PCM from that, you should changed your PS3 setting to output bitstream.

i will check those things.. tommorrow when i have a chance.. i was so set on pcm mode that i forgot about the bitstream setting.. i will verify that i changed from pcm to bitstream...
post #16 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv47lg70 View Post

All PCM via S/PDIF (optical) is limited to two channels.

HDMI allows for up to eight channels of audio, but that fact does not help you

post #17 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

wow..can I ask what you paid for that sucker? I have an old Yammy 5460 from the late 90's that I use for a 2nd zone, and it sounds really good for music. It will do pcm, but only 2 ch. It decodes dts fine with my ps3 set to bitstream. Those old dsp soundfields do sound good.

There is no comparison between the 5460 and my Denon 789 for movies though. So much more channel separation and depth with the Denon during movies. I can hear sounds from movies that I've never heard before with the Yammy. I don't know if it because of some movies with the lossless audio, or the Denon is just built better for movie soundtracks. Plus it has 7.1, and I would not have my HT setup any other way....

If your happy with the sound of it, that's all that counts...enjoy!

yes sir.. i paid a bit too much compared to other ebay recent ending auctions.. i paid 250 and the guy delivered it to me.. it was a local sale and i didnt want to wait.. i looked at all the pawn shops and no one had a receiver that would accept optical connections.. so i went with this one.. the funny thing is that there are over 335 reviews of this behemoth on audioreview.com.. it is like the most reviewed receiver so it is very much loved by many!!!

when you say you can hear sounds from movies that you havent heard before.. i thought the same when i hooked up the v995.. i was like .. damn that is what it is supposed to sound like... i will verify those ps3 settings..

the guy i bought this receiver from has 4 of them in his house!!! he loves them..
post #18 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Yes, and it can send DD and DTS via optical when set on bitstream.

Quote:

All PCM via S/PDIF (optical) is limited to two channels.

HDMI allows for up to eight channels of audio, but that fact does not help you

thanks so much guys.. i am learning a ton of info tonight... i need a flowchart though..
post #19 of 31 Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

it took me a while to figure out what dvd/ld meant on the input selector//'!1

Laser Disc... HA!
post #20 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Laserdisc was impressive when it came out. I wonder if it was more popular in Japan? I had a friend who had a player and watched discs. It had a pretty good picture. I think it rivaled DVD. Of course DVD is much easier to store

post #21 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

found out some info..

i have the ps3 set to bitstream as opposed to linear pcm. the v995 must be set to input:auto AND effects on have to be selected. apparently the decoder section is built into (maybe not good terminology) the dsp section of the receiver. i had assumed that all effects settings were equivalent to that goofy fake digital processing that all recievers seem to do with concert, hall, jazz, etc etc..

[ ( what the hell is that anyway) it seems that as far back as i can remember receivers have that goofy jazz, concert hall setting..is it a funny joke that the engineers just leave in there knowing it sounds like CRAP.. is it something stoners like to turn on while they are toking it up for giggles.. oh well ]

however the last three program 'effects' deal with the decoding of the DD or DTS bitstream and must be on or else you get 2 channel plus subwoofer only...

coming from the hdmi connections i thought bitstream was a dirty word but apparently in the optical world bitstream is the way to go...

receiver sounds amazing.. i feel like i really have surround sound whereas before it just sounded like lots of sound but no true seperation of the sounds.. i guess the newer receivers are very dependent upon running their setup with the microphone before they sound good or even acceptable..

the one thing i noticed with this is that there is a lack of adjustable crossover. apparently it is better for me not to have an adjustable crossover because this setup rocks the house down... i even turned down the subwoofer so i can hear the bass (yes bass) coming from my other surround speakers.. ( i have sw setting to both) woo hoo double bass...

i heard no bass whatsoever from the fronts and rear speakers with the denon 1910.. i am very impressed with my speakers at this point...

i just grin like a fool...
post #22 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

now here is the interesting and uber cool thing i discovered. i spent about 2 days trying to figure out how to watch tv WITHOUT the receiver being on...[turned on, turned off source, tv, powered up, restarted etc, etc]...( i dont need to watch the news with 5.1 digital)...and it never worked consitently via hdmi.. or else i couldnt get it to work right...

do you know how i did it with the yamaha? i turned it off.. then the tv sound was automtically received from the motorola dh6416 cable box via hdmi.. just the way it should be... simple!!
post #23 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

this program recreates the acoustic environment of a lively disco in the heart of a very lively city. the sound is dense and highley concentrated. it is also characterized by a high-energy, 'immediate' sound.

LOLZ.. i wonder if you can select what city you want to recreate.. because a lively disco in new york might be even more lively than one in ky...
post #24 of 31 Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 PM

I purchased mine brand new well over 10 years ago, and it is a workhorse even today. Sure it does not have hdmi or 7.1, but it is still great for DD and DTS. It also performs well with any cd player you hook up. It has never clipped out or missed a beat for that matter. There have to be others out there enjoying this fine receiver as much as me.
post #25 of 31 Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 PM

Liked: 12
I had this receiver as well as the RX-V2095. I upgraded to the RX-V2095 through Tweeter's Receiver upgrade option. The RX-V995 did have a humming power transformer that bothered me a bit, but it wasn't truly defective.

I sold my mint condition Yamaha RX-V2095 to my friend 4 years ago for $150. The problem was a dead battery for it's surround settings to keep the EPROM's alive. I had planned to change it but he wasn't concerned. He only uses it for stereo reproduction and has no surround system or the want to have a surround system.

Multichannel PCM is a new format brought to be, from the Bluray format.

Typical audio is 2.0 PCM, DD, dts, or 2 channel analog along with 5.1 DD(6.1 EX) and 5.1 dts (6.1 ES Matrix or Discrete).

Back when the RX-V995 was made there was only 5.1 channel digital formats and only DPL, no DPL II, no DPL IIx, no DPL IIz, and no dts Neo:6 .

I replaced my Yamaha RX-V2095 with a Yamaha RX-V1300 that was 6.1. It was defective and was the 2nd defective Yamaha I had purchased so I went to the 7.1 Denon AVR-3803 for the same money. What a difference, it was musically better IMO at loud volume levels. At lower volume levels, it was hard to tell the difference between the Yamaha and Denon. I kept the Denon in the living room HT system and put the RX-V2095 in the bedroom system.

Enjoy, the RX-V995 was a really nice receiver.

BTW, I also owned a RX-V793 but that model lacked any dts decoding since dts was an up and coming format.

I'm currently using the Denon AVR-3803 and still have not found a suitable replacement that as nice and as compatible with my system, under $2,000.
post #26 of 31 Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 AM

OldSchool,
It seems you have had a lot of experience with Yamaha and are now comfortable with Denon.The rest of my system is modest and definitely not audiophile: Polk RT55 mains, Polk cs245 center. Sony 5 disk cd player (used by wife and kids), cambridge audio D500se cd player along with a 46" plasma panasonic and a new...brace yourself...Dynex Blu Ray player. I run HDMI from BRP to TV and coaxial from BRP the 995. I have a sub, yet have not had it hooked up for 5 years or so, as space gave way to my children's stuff. I have auditioned speakers over the years (<$1000 pair) and have yet to hear anything worth parting with the RTs.
You mention the Denon sounding better at low volume levels...it is a rare day for me to listen to music and turn the volume on the yammy up past 10:00...most of my listening is in the 7-8:00 range. I'm curious what speakers you are using. FWIW, I do know what audiophile music sounds like and where it comes from. A friend of mine in the business always has some of the finest equipment at his house. Last time I was there to watch a movie/listen to music, he had some nice Wilson speakers and Transparent cables running everywhere. "Transparent" is probably an oxymoron, for I don't recall being able to see through them. This is real treat for me, and usually take a good while to get the "clear" sound out of my mind.
I agree with you on upgrading....given the negligible sound advantages (from what I have read) in moving to True HD and Lossless, I just can't justify even thinking about a new receiver. I do like Denon, Marantz and Integra.
post #27 of 31 Old 03-27-2012, 01:45 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortch View Post

OldSchool,
It seems you have had a lot of experience with Yamaha and are now comfortable with Denon.The rest of my system is modest and definitely not audiophile: Polk RT55 mains, Polk cs245 center. Sony 5 disk cd player (used by wife and kids), cambridge audio D500se cd player along with a 46" plasma panasonic and a new...brace yourself...Dynex Blu Ray player. I run HDMI from BRP to TV and coaxial from BRP the 995. I have a sub, yet have not had it hooked up for 5 years or so, as space gave way to my children's stuff. I have auditioned speakers over the years (<$1000 pair) and have yet to hear anything worth parting with the RTs.
You mention the Denon sounding better at low volume levels...it is a rare day for me to listen to music and turn the volume on the yammy up past 10:00...most of my listening is in the 7-8:00 range. I'm curious what speakers you are using. FWIW, I do know what audiophile music sounds like and where it comes from. A friend of mine in the business always has some of the finest equipment at his house. Last time I was there to watch a movie/listen to music, he had some nice Wilson speakers and Transparent cables running everywhere. "Transparent" is probably an oxymoron, for I don't recall being able to see through them. This is real treat for me, and usually take a good while to get the "clear" sound out of my mind.
I agree with you on upgrading....given the negligible sound advantages (from what I have read) in moving to True HD and Lossless, I just can't justify even thinking about a new receiver. I do like Denon, Marantz and Integra.

My speakers are in my signature, they're Infinity Reference series. I also like the Polks, my second favorites. While all speakers in the same line will sound different, I like these two brands sonic characters the best.

Actually the Yamaha RX-V2095 sounded more harsh or strained at volumes above the 4 mark or the 11:00 mark. Under that, the sound was very similar.

Since this was my first Denon, I didn't want a muddled sound like I experienced with my Denon AVR-3300 audition against the Yamaha RX-V995. So I compared the 2 in my living room using the same equipment.

The Denon came off as having a lower volume, but it uses a different volume scale. Even near clipping the Denon sounded effortless with no shouty, harsh, or strained sound. I was sold on this receiver right away. It's not perfect but was pretty darn close considering it was doing better than receivers at 1 1/2 times it's cost and even above. The Yamaha got a bit shouty/strained/harsh as I said. Not overly bad but noticeable to me.

My speakers are 8 ohm but Infinity has proven to have an actual lower average impedance of 6 ohms but where current consumption matters the most, the impedance is usually right around 8 ohms. However these speakers can dip down to 3 ohms in certain bandwidths and perhaps thats where the sound difference came from. I don't know but it wasn't an over all bright vs smooth sound like others like to claim. It seemed to just be a sonic characteric of the electronics when they were pushed, not all the time or at all volume levels, as many suggest.

If the RX-V995's sonic characteristic doesn't change from lower volumes to upper volumes with your speakers, you are good to go. Even if it does, it was minor at worst but still noticable, at least to me.
post #28 of 31 Old 07-20-2013, 07:48 AM

hi folks, I recently joined this forum because I had google searched info about this model of Yamaha receiver (Yamaha RX-V995), as I have the opportunity to buy a really nice one for $100.

On the Yamaha.com product page it says this: "The RX-V995 is prepared for the future. It has back-panel inputs to accomodate a third 5.1 channel system, should one be developed, or a decoder for the new DVD Audio standard."

What I'm wondering is what kind of apparatus would a "3rd 5.1 channel system" be?
What I'm wondering is if there's a way for this Yamaha to have Dolby Pro Logic II (emphasis on the "II") and/or NEO/6.

Reason is, someone advised to not buy this Yamaha and save up and get a newer 5.1 unit that has the above mentioned surround formats built in, as they supposedly separate stereo sources (i.e old CDs) into surround sound much better than plain old Dolby Pro Logic.

Any truth to that?

I have somewhat emotional reasons for wanting the big old Yam (995) - my Mom has one and I just adore it. But she listens to CD's in the "5 channel stereo" mode.

I'd like to be able to use a surround mode for music, if it is truly possible to extract sound with some of the instrumentation separated out and sent to the surround speakers to emulate the recording having been done in 5.1.

Any thoughts? thanks so much,

Em A.
Tampa FL

ps was gonna do an intro on the forum, but couldn't find a particular place, per se, for intros?
post #29 of 31 Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 134
The multichannel analog inputs are for use with high-res audio players such as DVD-Audio, SACD, and Blu-ray. They require a player that has MCH analog outputs. MCH analog is a way to get high-res audio on a receiver that doesn't have HDMI.

PLII is definitely an improvement over the older ProLogic. But, ProLogic is still capable of producing decent surround from stereo sources.
post #30 of 31 Old 07-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

The multichannel analog inputs are for use with high-res audio players such as DVD-Audio, SACD, and Blu-ray. They require a player that has MCH analog outputs. MCH analog is a way to get high-res audio on a receiver that doesn't have HDMI.

PLII is definitely an improvement over the older ProLogic. But, ProLogic is still capable of producing decent surround from stereo sources.

OK thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page