Receiver with PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 08-07-2009, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please suggest a receiver for PS3. Im looking to spend about $500 give or take $50. I have been reading about LPCM for ps3 and find it all confusing. I realize that many receivers offer features that I will not need with the PS3 please recommend a receiver that is not full of features I will not use. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-07-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It would help if you listed what components you'll be connecting, including the make/amount of speakers it will be driving
post #3 of 34 Old 08-07-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Almost any receiver that can accept audio over an HDMI 1.1 or higher connection will work just fine for you. You don't need a new HDMI 1.3 receiver, so look for good deals on older models.

Here's one good example I can recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V661.../dp/B000OOQUTC

There are plenty of other great choices to pick from. Shop around, and check your local classifieds for used receivers being cast off by upgraders.
post #4 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
One thing to be careful of - some receivers say HDMI switching. This means they can switch HDMI but not play HDMI audio.

Make sure that any receiver you look at can play back HDMI audio.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Liked: 11
I would go with that Pioneer 1019 AHK!! or as Robray stated That Yami is very sweet for that price too cant go wrong and +1 look into the used/new Sony's Dg's even the new Dh's you can get them Cheap now!! Dont worry bout being confused, you dont even need one with HD true or Master Audio. The PS3 will decode all those for you
http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/04/21...with-your-ps3/
post #6 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvfreak View Post

I would go with that Pioneer 1019 AHK!! or as Robray stated That Yami is very sweet for that price too cant go wrong and +1 look into the used/new Sony's Dg's even the new Dh's you can get them Cheap now!! Dont worry bout being confused, you dont even need one with HD true or Master Audio. The PS3 will decode all those for you

I have the pioneer and it does work pretty good. It generates really hot heat though, be aware.
post #7 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvfreak View Post

Why would you mention you don't need a receiver that decodes HD codecs and then recommend that he buys one

I think the OP should realize that he can save alot of money by buying a receiver that is capable of handling the LPCM from the PS3 but doesn't have alot of features he won't be using. I would never recommend the brand new receivers to him, or any of the Sony receivers for that matter.

I think the OP should be looking at the Marantz SR4002, Yamaha RX-V463, Harman Kardon AVR-247/254, Pioneer VSX-918 or an Onkyo TX-SR576. All of these receivers can be had for close to $200 and will work with his PS3.

If you need help finding the retailers that have these receivers in stock just ask....you'll be steered in the right direction

If you really want to spend $500 then you're pretty much looking at a receiver that is going to have alot of features you don't need...that's up to you....if you ever make it back to the forum
post #8 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 02:20 PM

I hear the new Yamaha receivers have weaker amps then ones in the past. I would recommend the Pioneer, or a Denon. I dont know where you can get the Pioneer VSX-918 for $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post

Why would you mention you don't need a receiver that decodes HD codecs and then recommend that he buys one

I think the OP should realize that he can save alot of money by buying a receiver that is capable of handling the LPCM from the PS3 but doesn't have alot of features he won't be using. I would never recommend the brand new receivers to him, or any of the Sony receivers for that matter.

I think the OP should be looking at the Marantz SR4002, Yamaha RX-V463, Harman Kardon AVR-247/254, Pioneer VSX-918 or an Onkyo TX-SR576. All of these receivers can be had for close to $200 and will work with his PS3.

If you need help finding the retailers that have these receivers in stock just ask....you'll be steered in the right direction

If you really want to spend $500 then you're pretty much looking at a receiver that is going to have alot of features you don't need...that's up to you....if you ever make it back to the forum

post #9 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman42 View Post

I hear the new Yamaha receivers have weaker amps then ones in the past. I would recommend the Pioneer, or a Denon. I dont know where you can get the Pioneer VSX-918 for $200.

The Yamaha I recommended isn't a 'new' one. The VSX-918 is selling for $248 HERE if you're interested.
post #10 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am running the pioneer vsx 918 and works perfect. Now I had a yamaha 463 and had nothing but problems with the hdmi. I tried 2 differents ones and different hdmi cables. Also the yamaha did not pass the blacker than black signal. Also had the sony 720 and felt that it just lacked power.
post #11 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It would help if you listed what components you'll be connecting, including the make/amount of speakers it will be driving

Thanks for the great replies! I would like to run 5 speakers and a SVS subwoofer (PB12-NSD). I have not found speakers I like yet. I am not sure what a good speaker is. What is important to me is that I get a good subwoofer and have a reciever to power it. I want to be able to shake the room and people so that deaf people can feel it (Im serious). Many subs have the amp built in so is the output of the receiver still important? Can the VSX-918 play back HDMI audio? SI the reported 120watt output really 120watts?

I would also like one with Audyssey MultEQ since I would rely on this to tweak the sound as I dont think I will be able to.
post #12 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman42 View Post

The Yamaha "x61" series are a couple of generations old, have good amps, and the 661 and higher also have pre-amp outputs in case you ever decide to add an external power amp. They also don't have all the fluff found on newer models, which the OP won't be needing anyway.
post #13 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatee View Post

Now I had a yamaha 463 and had nothing but problems with the hdmi. I tried 2 differents ones and different hdmi cables. Also the yamaha did not pass the blacker than black signal.

Note that the "x63" series are the only Yamahas that clip BtB and WtW over HDMI. The "x61" and (or so I've been told) the newer "x65" lines pass the full-range video signal.
post #14 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

Note that the "x63" series are the only Yamahas that clip BtB and WtW over HDMI. The "x61" and (or so I've been told) the newer "x65" lines pass the full-range video signal.

This fact is completely irrelevant for most people...other than those who run video straight from their computers.
post #15 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

i am not sure if anyone one hundred percent confirmed that the new yamaha's pass the btb. hopefully they do.. i just bought an ancient rx-v995 and i really love the sound it produces.. i am limited to 5.1 via optical bitstream but it sounds as good as the 5.1 lpcm via hdmi that i was receiving for my 1910. i dont have my video running through the receiver. i just have an optical from the ps3 and from the motorola cable box.

just a quick headsup though, if you are running a video via hdmi through receiver make sure it supports 24 fps/ 30fps / 60fps via hdmi.. if it doesnt i would stay clear of it.. some of the 08 denon's are a good choice.. but not the 788 it had a ton of issues with hdmi and the ps3...
post #16 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus808 View Post

Thanks for the great replies! I would like to run 5 speakers and a SVS subwoofer (PB12-NSD). I have not found speakers I like yet. I am not sure what a good speaker is. What is important to me is that I get a good subwoofer and have a reciever to power it. I want to be able to shake the room and people so that deaf people can feel it (Im serious). Many subs have the amp built in so is the output of the receiver still important? Can the VSX-918 play back HDMI audio? SI the reported 120watt output really 120watts?

I would also like one with Audyssey MultEQ since I would rely on this to tweak the sound as I dont think I will be able to.

That's a great subwoofer and it's powered all by itself so it has nothing to do with your receivers power. Yes, the VSX-918 will play HD audio over HDMI. It's overrated in power but it will still have enough power to run almost any 5 speakers to very loud levels.
Every receiver has a setup program to help you adjust your levels etc. Audyssey is just one of those programs. Pioneer has it's own as does Yamaha. They all work well...some like Audyssey some don't but you'll have that room correction program regardless of which receiver you buy.

The real question is do you care to save some money or is $500 an amount you're willing to pay even if it's going to get you features you won't use? All the receivers I mentioned will play HD audio and video over HDMI and they will all have about the same amount of power. Some people prefer one over the other but the fact is you can get a lemon with any brand. Pick your price range and just grab the one that catches your eye best...
If you really want to spend $500 then it opens up a longer list of potential receivers....among them are the Onkyo TX-SR606/607, Yamaha RX-V665,863, Pioneer VSX-01/03, Marantz SR5003 (great choice), Denon AVR-1909/789, Harman Kardon AVR-354 for starters.
post #17 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 07:30 PM

I'm in a very simular situation as the OP. I'm picking up a gently used Fluance SXHTB+ speaker system for $200 tomorrow. I will be using a PS3 & a 55" Vizio. I'm getting a dvr HD box from the cable company. Can someone please give me a few of the best choices for a sub $350 reciever? I have no problem with scouring craigslist & ebay & have no objections to refurbs, I'm mainly concerned with value.
post #18 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrup View Post

I'm in a very simular situation as the OP. I'm picking up a gently used Fluance SXHTB+ speaker system for $200 tomorrow. I will be using a PS3 & a 55" Vizio. I'm getting a dvr HD box from the cable company. Can someone please give me a few of the best choices for a sub $350 reciever? I have no problem with scouring craigslist & ebay & have no objections to refurbs, I'm mainly concerned with value.

You're the perfect candidate for Accessories4less. They offer a 1 year warranty on all refurbs which makes it very inviting.
For starters at $350 you can look at the Marantz SR5002/6001 or an Onkyo TX-SR606/607. These are all $350 or under. You could save even more and opt for a Marantz SR4002 or an Onkyo TX-SR576.

Just to add a great deal to the mix...the Yamaha RX-V665 is on sale for $329 w/free shipping at newegg. That's an amazing deal....
OR you can snag a Yamaha RX-V663 for just over $350 HERE
post #19 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 09:08 PM

I recommend the Denon 789/1909 to suit your needs.

This will give you some future-proof features that you might need to use.
- Audyssey MultEQ, Dynamic Volume, and Dynamic EQ (will work wonders with your SVS)
- ability to decode HD audio (if you decide to get a standalone blu-ray player some day)
- 7.1 capabilities

Check out Dakmart or your local Best Buy Magnolia for some great prices, with warranty. This is mostly due to Denon's release of the 1910 receiver, which replaces the 789/1910.

Good luck.
post #20 of 34 Old 08-08-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburwell213 View Post

I recommend the Denon 789/1909 to suit your needs.

This will give you some future-proof features that you might need to use.
- Audyssey MultEQ, Dynamic Volume, and Dynamic EQ (will work wonders with your SVS)
- ability to decode HD audio (if you decide to get a standalone blu-ray player some day)
- 7.1 capabilities

Check out Dakmart or your local Best Buy Magnolia for some great prices, with warranty. This is mostly due to Denon's release of the 1910 receiver, which replaces the 789/1910.

Good luck.

I have used Audyssey MultEQ up to MultEQ XT and always ended up using my own settings because it sounded better. Dynamic volume is horrible for me...I hate the fake sound of it 'pulsing' as it cuts the volume level in and out. It's definitely not something I ever want to use again...and it will never make your subwoofer sound better than having it placed properly and eQ'd yourself.
Standalone Bluray players are all capable of decoding HD codecs nowadays which gives even more reason to NOT require it on your AVR.

Something you didn't mention is that since the OP even finds the PS3/LPCM issue confusing....what do you think he'll do when he reads the Denon's manual that's written in klingon?? Not to mention a remote that's awkward at best. The Denon is definitely not a good 'starter' receiver for someone doesn't have that 'intuitive' way with electronics.

I do like the Denon 789 and I have owned one myself but I would never recommend it to someone as a first receiver, especially someone who doesn't need decoding in his avr.

Also, I would be wary of Dakmart...I've seen too many horror stories in AVS from purchases made there.
post #21 of 34 Old 08-09-2009, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This fact is completely irrelevant for most people...other than those who run video straight from their computers.

...or people with other video sources that use PC video levels. They do exist.

...or people that use the BtB fadeout point as a convenient reference when calibrating their display. It's not required, but it's nice to have.

Not to mention, in these days of HTPCs, there are a LOT of people that run video straight from their computers!

Seeing as there's no benefit derived by clipping BtB and WtW, there's no reason for any receiver not to pass the video through unmolested.

But in any case, we have now wandered way off-topic, and there are plenty of threads on this topic already, so let's get back to the OP's questions....
post #22 of 34 Old 08-09-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Do I even need a receiver for the Svs subwoofer? I have a panny 50inch plasma. Can I just hook it up directly to the TV?
post #23 of 34 Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:

I have used Audyssey MultEQ up to MultEQ XT and always ended up using my own settings because it sounded better. Dynamic volume is horrible for me...I hate the fake sound of it 'pulsing' as it cuts the volume level in and out. It's definitely not something I ever want to use again...and it will never make your subwoofer sound better than having it placed properly and eQ'd yourself.
Standalone Bluray players are all capable of decoding HD codecs nowadays which gives even more reason to NOT require it on your AVR.

Something you didn't mention is that since the OP even finds the PS3/LPCM issue confusing....what do you think he'll do when he reads the Denon's manual that's written in klingon?? Not to mention a remote that's awkward at best. The Denon is definitely not a good 'starter' receiver for someone doesn't have that 'intuitive' way with electronics.

I do like the Denon 789 and I have owned one myself but I would never recommend it to someone as a first receiver, especially someone who doesn't need decoding in his avr.

Also, I would be wary of Dakmart...I've seen too many horror stories in AVS from purchases made there.

Good points,

It may not be the best 'starter' receiver. I may have been a bit blinded by the awesome price that Dakmart has on this receiver($329). Does Dakmart have its horror stories? Sure, gotta accept the risk for a great deal. Worst case scenario, take a trip to Florida and assist the authorities in a raid.

The ONLY way that one can survive the setup and operating of a new Denon receiver is to follow the owner's thread. Pay close attention to 'batpig' and 'jdsmoothie's posts. This even applies to how one should properly setup Audyssey.

Enough of that. After reading this most recent post from the thread starter...
Do I even need a receiver for the Svs subwoofer? I have a panny 50inch plasma. Can I just hook it up directly to the TV?

it is obvious that this person doesn't want to fool with a 'ton' of settings.

Perhaps a HTIB is more suitable here. However, this would be a waste of such a great SVS subwoofer (unless there is some quirky way to add subs to these things).
post #24 of 34 Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus808 View Post

Thanks for the great replies! I would like to run 5 speakers and a SVS subwoofer (PB12-NSD). I have not found speakers I like yet. I am not sure what a good speaker is.

Speakers should be your top priority since they will most likely take up the majority of your budget.
post #25 of 34 Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 AM

I just ordered a Denon AVR-1610 from Electronics-Expo for $309 shipped using the coupon code "RECEIVERSALE" that I found in another thread here.
I picked up a Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System off Craigslists today for $200 that appears to be in perfect condition.

Considering I came here a few days ago & my first post was a thread in the Home Theater in a Box section titled " Help on a Sub $250 Option" that got no responses. I think I've done well with the help of the search box in this forum.

My man cave should be done by next weekend, I applied the second coat of mud on the new sheetrock in my basement tonight & hope to start painting tomorrow night. I bought a nice big comfy sectional last week, & will pick up a 55" Vizio LCD from Costco as soon as the room is ready. I'm waiting till the 18th to order my PS3. I'm getting super stoked.
post #26 of 34 Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 AM

Don't get yamaha RXV661 (I have the Yamaha HTR 6060 - its the same AVR).

This AVR will NOT boost the LFE signal by the required 10db when you use LPCM over HDMI when watching movies is dolby digital or DTS. This means you wil get weak bass from your sub.

I have argued with yamaha about this. They say it is not defective & not a warranty issue. They say the boost was not a feature of my AVR. I think yamaha screwed up when they made & tested the AVR & are denying it.

They did tell me that their newer AVR's (such as the HTR 6061 and RXv 663) do it properly.
post #27 of 34 Old 08-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just ordered a Denon AVR-1610 from Electronics-Expo for $309 shipped using the coupon code "RECEIVERSALE" that I found in another thread here.
I picked up a Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System off Craigslists today for $200 that appears to be in perfect condition.

Considering I came here a few days ago & my first post was a thread in the Home Theater in a Box section titled " Help on a Sub $250 Option" that got no responses. I think I've done well with the help of the search box in this forum.

My man cave should be done by next weekend, I applied the second coat of mud on the new sheetrock in my basement tonight & hope to start painting tomorrow night. I bought a nice big comfy sectional last week, & will pick up a 55" Vizio LCD from Costco as soon as the room is ready. I'm waiting till the 18th to order my PS3. I'm getting super stoked.

go to the pawnshop and find a used ps3. save a 100 bucks or so.. that is about 4 blu rays..

if there is a problem with the ps3 they will take it back.. if no problems arise in the first couple of weeks then it will more than likely last forever.. ps3 has a very low failure rate. i would NOT suggest this with an xbox though considering it has a ginormous failure rate.
post #28 of 34 Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv47lg70 View Post

go to the pawnshop and find a used ps3. save a 100 bucks or so.. that is about 4 blu rays..

The reason I'm waiting for the 18th to buy the PS3 is that Sony is making some big announcement that day. There's heavy speculation that it will be a slim model & that the PS3 price will be slashed. I would buy a $300 refurb from Tiger Direct before I would go to a fence...err...pawn shop.
post #29 of 34 Old 08-10-2009, 02:21 PM

any reason to buy a sony reciever to work with the sony ps3? I dont know anything about sony recievers so I have no idea if they are any good. I am in the same boat as the OP though. I have 2 JBL S412P's, JBL S-center, and JBL N24's for the rear (Had to get small rears).
post #30 of 34 Old 08-10-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If this room is truly a 'Man Cave' I'm assuming it won't have alot of outside light coming in? If this is true your 'Man Cave' is screaming for a plasma TV. Unless you're spending absurd amounts of money...a plasma in a dark room will always look better. I would definitely not even consider an LCD in a dark environment...not as long as Plasma technology is around. Save yourself some money...or just spend the same amount as you would on that Vizio LCD and get much better PQ by grabbing a Plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchmob723\\ View Post

any reason to buy a sony reciever to work with the sony ps3? I dont know anything about sony recievers so I have no idea if they are any good. I am in the same boat as the OP though. I have 2 JBL S412P's, JBL S-center, and JBL N24's for the rear (Had to get small rears).

No there is not a special benefit in getting a Sony receiver to go with a PS3. You would probably be better off just giving a budget, telling us your HT/Music ratio and what components you'll be hooking up to it. Then someone can give a better recommendation for a receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page