post #271 of 5485 Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

even the 5007 can only power 9 speakers at a time , to run all 11 simutaneously you will need a 11.x AVR, what batpig and I were refering too is that the onkyo unlike the denon you can wire up 11 speakers will the denon only 7. the onkyo will allow you to calibrate all 11(switch 7.x, 5.x+H or 5.x+W by the remote) and the denon you have to rewire and re-calibrate to switch configurations. i am really glad i went onkyo because i had assumed denon allowed easy switching and now i have all 11 speakers connected and can play to my hearts content
yeah a 11.x will be really cool, hopefully i will be able to upgrade to a 9.x soon (i don't think the wife will notice as they look the same)

the 1007,3007,5007 will allow 5.1 + H & W, 7.1+H or 7.1+W ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5485 Old 08-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

the 1007,3007,5007 will allow 5.1 + H & W, 7.1+H or 7.1+W ?

yes they support any combination of 9 speakers, just not 7.1+H+W which would require 11 seperate amps (11.x)
post #273 of 5485 Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes they support any combination of 9 speakers, just not 7.1+H+W which would require 11 seperate amps (11.x)

I have a feeling we are being spoon fed technology that already exists
post #274 of 5485 Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

even the 5007 can only power 9 speakers at a time

That's why it's a 9.2 receiver, it's not 11.xx

How do some guys come up with that anyway?
post #275 of 5485 Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
So what I'm getting out of all this is that Dolby/Audyssey/THX or whomever is saying that Surround back speakers are now obsolete. Is this the current thinking?

Given a 9 channel reciever, I hear these companies saying we should use H+W (sans SB). What are you guys takes on this?

I'm old school and have never heard the Hieghts nor Wides, but leaving behind my trusty (dipole) SBs is gonna be a tough call to make.
post #276 of 5485 Old 08-28-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Then you will probably be purchasing it this evening...

A little part of me hates you, and loves you all the same, laugh.

Was just going to ask if you could review it before 9/12 That's my cutoff window to upgrade the 607 to the 707.
post #277 of 5485 Old 08-28-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryloc View Post

A little part of me hates you, and loves you all the same, laugh.

Was just going to ask if you could review it before 9/12 That's my cutoff window to upgrade the 607 to the 707.

Bad news then... I just posted my report.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #278 of 5485 Old 08-28-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

I'm old school and have never heard the Hieghts nor Wides, but leaving behind my trusty (dipole) SBs is gonna be a tough call to make.

I mean, you are "old school" but you are lamenting Surround Backs?? 7.1 isn't exactly "old school"!! A lot of people still think 7.1 (versus regular 5.1) is just a gimmick!

The idea is pretty simple and it makes total common sense to me -- your ears point forward. Why would you want more speakers BEHIND your head than in front?

Quote:

So what I'm getting out of all this is that Dolby/Audyssey/THX or whomever is saying that Surround back speakers are now obsolete.

not obsolete, just not as important as having extra speakers up front FIRST. I think, ideally, you would want ALL eleven speakers -- 7 speakers up front, four surrounds.

6.1/7.1 made a lot of sense at first -- close that gap behind your head with more speakers, so you get a seamless surround wraparound. But Audyssey (which BTW is co-founded by Tom Holman, the "TH" in THX) has done years of research on his topic, and the problem with standard 7.1 is there is still a hole between the Front L/R and the side surrounds. The soundstage doesn't wrap around you -- it starts in front of you, and then disconnects and wraps around behind you.

What they found in their research is that adding the WIDES is the most important thing you can do. I think the affect of the "height" speakers is more arguable vs standard 7.1 -- Joe really likes it but if you read various reviews of PLIIz you find that it's sort of mixed, some people think it adds something and others are like, "I can't even tell it's on". ... which, BTW is the same thing a lot of people say about 7.1 vs 5.1!!

Compare that to the few reviews of "Wide" setups, which are all overwhelmingly positive. Again, this makes total common sense -- why not have a "wider" front soundstage, which wraps around you and takes you more seamlessly to those surrounds?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #279 of 5485 Old 08-28-2009, 08:11 PM

My wife still has not noticed that there is a new 807 in the living room, even though she is having newfound trouble switching from FM tuner to CAB/SAT. I guess another +1 for the 807 stealthiness.
post #280 of 5485 Old 08-28-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

So what I'm getting out of all this is that Dolby/Audyssey/THX or whomever is saying that Surround back speakers are now obsolete. Is this the current thinking?

Given a 9 channel reciever, I hear these companies saying we should use H+W (sans SB). What are you guys takes on this?

As the batpig said, TH research using scientific studies shows that listeners perfer the Wides more than anything. In my few hours of listening I tend to agree. Of course there are too many variables with the hundreds of options in listening modes to really make up my mind. By the way, if you have Surround Backs, the 807 will work great with them, you do not have to give them up. But like you said they are kinda "going away" I think. Which is a shame, I think it is nice when they are used properly during action scenes.
post #281 of 5485 Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

the downside to z11 was the 50watt load per speaker for the extra 4 speakers, so i doubt any difference would be made, personally i can't wait to see what onkyo does when they decide to jump in and produce an amp to better the z11..
post #282 of 5485 Old 08-29-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:

Bad news then... I just posted my report.

thanks for your report, u are awesome
post #283 of 5485 Old 08-29-2009, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by taubenspikes View Post

thanks for your report, u are awesome

You are welcome.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #284 of 5485 Old 08-29-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You are welcome.

Even though a lot of folks' wallets end up hating you.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #285 of 5485 Old 08-29-2009, 05:46 PM

Hello Joerod and everyone else. Joe, a big thank-you for helping put some fears to ease on the 707 thread that I started with. I can purchase the 807 or 707 and am not sure what will suit me better. I know you said I should be able to connect everything myself, but I am even confused with all of this speaker talk about normal 5.1 connections, wide and height. When you say height speakers, do you mean that in a description way or buy speakers that have height to them so they are higher up than you, the person sitting down? I know, a real stupid question.

I wish someone had a cheat sheet like they have for computer cable hook-ups where I could just plug the speakers into certain holes and not have to worry about other things. And, in a 5.1 speaker system that I will use, are my speakers considered surrounds or rear speakers? It would be nice if you could just hook a few wires from the TV to the receiver and the speaker Blue Ray cables to the receiver, turn it on and turn up the volume....that's it. I never realized the receiver even determines the picture quality, or am I wrong on this?

I guess I will get by, just seems like a lot of stuff to learn and tinker with when I just plan to watch TV, movies and sports on Time Warner Cable through my cable box in analog and HD, then watch some shows and movies on Blue Ray and DVD, along with some music listening by connecting my I-Pod to the receiver.

Thanks again Joe and to everyone else. Any more pointers, tips or even a connection cheat sheet would be more than welcome.

Dave
post #286 of 5485 Old 08-29-2009, 06:59 PM

hi Dave, tell us what kind of speakers you have exactly, we can help guide you more. If you do not know what speakers you have, you can look at the back of them and they usually have the model number on the back somewhere.

You are right, the height speakers are meant to be mounted high up on the wall or even in the ceiling.

Also tell us the number of speakers you have. Do you have a center channel (above the tv)?

depending on what kind of speakers you already have will determine what receiver suits you best.
post #287 of 5485 Old 08-29-2009, 07:14 PM

Hello Thomas...I just completed getting my finished basement ready for my enjoyment. It is a Chicago Blackhawks sports room. I am just getting ready to order everything.

I plan on getting a Samsung 46" TV. Either the LN-46B6000 LED, or the 46B650 LCD. Both are within $100 of each other, so I am leaning toward the LED.

I plan on getting the Onkyo 707 or 807 receiver. Not sure which one I really need, even though some have suggested I get the new Marantz 6004 or 5004 that just came out.

I plan on getting a Blue Ray player, and could use some help on which one.

I plan on getting the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 600 or 800 series speakers. They come with two fronts and a center, two surrounds or rears, whatever they are called, and a sub woofer.

I also have an I-Pod that I want to hook up and listen too. When you listen to music, do you listen through all speakers and sub-woofer, or have to witch something and listen to the front two speakers and sub-woofer, leaving the center and rear surrounds off.

So, at this point, I do not know anything about connections yet. I guess turning 55 and just getting into this stuff has me stressed to the max when I read about connections and a million other things everyone talks about.

Anyway, listed above is what I plan to get very soon. Any thoughts on what receiver might suit my needs better? And is the Onkyo better than the new Marantz receivers that just came out the other day, or is it a matter of personal opinion and experience?

Thanks

Dave
post #288 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 04:19 AM

Hello.

I got my 807 this weekend. It sounds terrific but i have discovered an annoying thing. When i switch from one input to another input and have audyssey enabled i get one very low "pop" sound in the center speaker. Just one "pop" and then its quiet. I get the same "pop" if i switch for example from "PLII" with audyssey enabled to "Pure audio" and then back to "PLII". The "pop" is very low and you cant hear it unless you listen very carefully for it. If audyssey is disabled its quiet. Does anyone have the same pop in the center speaker on your receivers or is there something wrong with mine?

Best regards:
Martin
post #289 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mippaloo View Post

Hello.

I got my 807 this weekend. It sounds terrific but i have discovered an annoying thing. When i switch from one input to another input and have audyssey enabled i get one very low "pop" sound in the center speaker. Just one "pop" and then its quiet. I get the same "pop" if i switch for example from "PLII" with audyssey enabled to "Pure audio" and then back to "PLII". The "pop" is very low and you cant hear it unless you listen very carefully for it. If audyssey is disabled its quiet. Does anyone have the same pop in the center speaker on your receivers or is there something wrong with mine?

Best regards:
Martin

Switching inputs with most AVRs is a crazy thing with so much happening , I wouldn't worry about if it doesn't stress the speakers. If you hear funny sounds when in the same input when it switches from 2ch to 5.1/7.1 like when watching tv or dvd/br, then its bad. I never heard that from my denon 789, but I have heard a low pop or tick now and then , but it never worried me.
post #290 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Would you guys go with the Audyssey MultEQ XT or the Audyssey MultEQ?? Im picking between Onkyo TX-NR807 or the TX-NR906 but the cost comparison is quite a bit! Is it worth it?? Or also the Denon 3310 I am not sure what to get so any help would be great! Thanks!
post #291 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Would you guys go with the Audyssey MultEQ XT or the Audyssey MultEQ?? Im picking between Onkyo TX-NR807 or the TX-NR906 but the cost comparison is quite a bit! Is it worth it?? Or also the Denon 3310 I am not sure what to get so any help would be great! Thanks!

Have you considered the SR876? Pretty much an NR906 minus network-audio... can be had under $1k new and as low as $799 refurbished... even lower if purchased from AC4L on eBay with Bing.com cash back.

post #292 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i went with the 807 and i'm glad i did, i have owned both the 805 and a denon3808ci both with XT, the 807 sounds great, the DSX is great and you get network radio and internet firmware updates all your choices are good though, but if your thinking of DSX Wides or Heights than go 807 better yet get the 1007 or 3007
post #293 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

Have you considered the SR876? Pretty much an NR906 minus network-audio... can be had under $1k new and as low as $799 refurbished... even lower if purchased from AC4L on eBay with Bing.com cash back.

The SR-876 I thought was $2k! And can you even tell the difference between Audyssey MultEQ XT compared to Audyssey MultEQ??
post #294 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The SR-876 I thought was $2k! And can you even tell the difference between Audyssey MultEQ XT compared to Audyssey MultEQ??

It's a discontinued model and refurb deals are readily available... it's a really great deal if network audio and PLIIz/DSX aren't in your near future. It shares most of the other features of the NR3007 and toroid transformer of the NR5007.

post #295 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i went with the 807 and i'm glad i did, i have owned both the 805 and a denon3808ci both with XT, the 807 sounds great, the DSX is great and you get network radio and internet firmware updates all your choices are good though, but if your thinking of DSX Wides or Heights than go 807 better yet get the 1007 or 3007

How did you Denon compare to the 807?? Some guy told me to stay away from Onkyo cause they use cheap parts and cheap video processor compared to Denon!! this guy is from Audio Ark which is a store here in Edmonton,AB that sells Denon! haha
post #296 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 07:48 PM

I went with the NR807 and am loving it. I've only encountered two problems with it so far. For some reason the Audessy MultiEQ doesn't detect my 500W subwoofer... No idea why not... but given you can turn that on afterwards it's not a big deal, just means the crossover is a little off.

My big problem is on the connection to my htpc. It's connected via hdmi and displays wonderfully on the desktop or going through menus. Unfortunately, as soon as I go to live TV the video starts randomly dropping out on the tv, so it's the connection between the TV and the 807. Doesn't happen if I directly connect the htpc to the TV. It makes watching television impossible and is driving me absolutely insane...

Otherwise I love the receiver. Right now I have the HDMI bypassing the 807 entirely and am feeding it audio via digital coax. But, if anyone has a solution to this problem I'd love to hear it.
post #297 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnai View Post

I went with the NR807 and am loving it. I've only encountered two problems with it so far. For some reason the Audessy MultiEQ doesn't detect my 500W subwoofer... No idea why not... but given you can turn that on afterwards it's not a big deal, just means the crossover is a little off.

My big problem is on the connection to my htpc. It's connected via hdmi and displays wonderfully on the desktop or going through menus. Unfortunately, as soon as I go to live TV the video starts randomly dropping out on the tv, so it's the connection between the TV and the 807. Doesn't happen if I directly connect the htpc to the TV. It makes watching television impossible and is driving me absolutely insane...

Otherwise I love the receiver. Right now I have the HDMI bypassing the 807 entirely and am feeding it audio via digital coax. But, if anyone has a solution to this problem I'd love to hear it.

what do you have the resolution on your HTPC set to? If it is not 1920x1080p then maybe you should set it to that. What TV software are you using exactly? Make sure that is set to 1920x1080 if possible? when you say the video is dropping randomly, is it dropping frames or is it going black?

My understanding of HD audio is that only the TrueHD and DTS HD audio codecs will utilize the HDMI connection. All other formats work perfectly with spdif digital coax. Since bluray is the only media currently encoded with TrueHD and DTS HD, you are not losing anything. Do you have bluray movies ripped to your HTPC or have a bluray drive in your HTPC? Maybe my understanding of this is incorrect.
post #298 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM

I'm on my second 807, the first one had a weird issue where video out of the HDMI2 input would only play through the 807 if the device connected to HDMI1 input was on.

I feel I'm getting some weird video dropout with the new 807 (that wasn't happening with the first one).
post #299 of 5485 Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasamiller View Post

what do you have the resolution on your HTPC set to? If it is not 1920x1080p then maybe you should set it to that. What TV software are you using exactly? Make sure that is set to 1920x1080 if possible? when you say the video is dropping randomly, is it dropping frames or is it going black?

My understanding of HD audio is that only the TrueHD and DTS HD audio codecs will utilize the HDMI connection. All other formats work perfectly with spdif digital coax. Since bluray is the only media currently encoded with TrueHD and DTS HD, you are not losing anything. Do you have bluray movies ripped to your HTPC or have a bluray drive in your HTPC? Maybe my understanding of this is incorrect.

It's set to 1920x1080p, and the monitor out on the 807 is set to through (though setting it to 1080p doesn't make a bit of difference). I don't have a motherboard in the htpc that can handle passing the audio to the hdmi cable, so the digital coax is all I've got. My problem is that whenever I'm watching live TV (even if it's just a small box in the corner of the screen) the TV is randomly resetting to a black screen for a couple seconds then coming back with the image for a couple seconds, then black screen... Rinse and repeat. This only happens when I'm trying to watch live tv or a recorded tv session. Media file playback and normal desktop stuff present no problem at all with the video signal. And again, it's something the 807 is doing because direct connect htpc to the TV has no issue. I notice under the display info that the 807 is converting the video signal from 24bit 1080p to 30bit 1080p and I can't find any way to tell it not to do that. But if that was the problem I would expect it to happen on the desktop as well... I'm at a loss. Even a DVI->HDMI cable has the exact same problem.
post #300 of 5485 Old 09-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

The Onkyo TX-NR807 features tab lists that this receiver does not have a Multi Channel Input!! Which in fact I think I need for my PS3 audio if I am correct. Can someone please get me some info as I am looking into purchasing this receiver but without this option it might be useless!

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page