1Likes

post #3631 of 5499 Old 08-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmunk View Post

Let me know what you find out. It would be pretty damn cool to be able to DJ and control volume/source all from a little net top in zone 2.

I've had the chance to try out NRcontrol 0.14, and yeah, it's pretty damn cool...I'm trying to accomplish the same thing as you. It works, the author still seems to be perfecting it but it's relatively stable as I tested it (still haven't fully tested it yet). You'll need to enable that 'network control' in the setup menu to wake the 807 from standby (if not enabled, you can still control it while it's powered on). I believe the network control enabled uses a bit more power in standby, but shouldn't be huge (similar to a wake on lan network setting on a pc I'm guessing).

Happy reading...links to current version 0.14 on p.5 of the thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo...ogramming.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 5499 Old 08-19-2010, 07:57 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by acee3 View Post

I've had the chance to try out NRcontrol 0.14, and yeah, it's pretty damn cool...I'm trying to accomplish the same thing as you. It works, the author still seems to be perfecting it but it's relatively stable as I tested it (still haven't fully tested it yet). You'll need to enable that 'network control' in the setup menu to wake the 807 from standby (if not enabled, you can still control it while it's powered on). I believe the network control enabled uses a bit more power in standby, but shouldn't be huge (similar to a wake on lan network setting on a pc I'm guessing).

Happy reading...links to current version 0.14 on p.5 of the thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo...ogramming.html

I have download and tried it on my NR807, it works, but the speakers config is not the same, I have NAS connected, but seems can't control anything. I can only go to Internet radio and play.
post #3633 of 5499 Old 08-20-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadigi View Post

I have download and tried it on my NR807, it works, but the speakers config is not the same, I have NAS connected, but seems can't control anything. I can only go to Internet radio and play.

I'm able to switch between iRadio and Server (my NAS), and select track & station (forward/back).
There is currently no folder/station list display to browse, only the current track or station playing will show. The s/w author is aware of this and says in his blog that he hasn't implemented it yet, but hopes to have it in place but not in the immediate future:

"Simply because I have not implemented yet a reflection of the Onkyo menu structure in my programm. I have my Onkyo monitor out connected to Video In on my TV card. This way I can see the Onkyo menus on the PC. A work around until I'll find time to implement the menu structure in my application. Likely that won't be before next winter. Simply because I don't program much during summer time."
post #3634 of 5499 Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Hey guys just wondering in your opinions do you think the Onkyo 807 can power and handle the Paradigm Monitor 5.1 system I have which is a pair of Monitor 11's v.6, pair of ADP-390's v.6, CC-290 and the DSP-3200??? Wondering what AVR you guys would use to power these?
post #3635 of 5499 Old 08-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmunk View Post

For anyone who has been successful using the DLNA function to stream MP3's from their computer: Has anyone tried using the "Play To" function in Windows 7? Basically allows you to control the music and playlist from inside Windows Media Player. I have a 807 sitting in a box at home and still have a few more months until I get to play with it so I have to live vicariously through you guys

Here's a link to the "Play To" from Microsoft in case anyone is interested:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...atures/play-to

It has been trouble free for me. I have tried it on two of my systems (Win 7) and it has been pretty reliable.

Samsung UN65ES6500
Onkyo TX-NR809
Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S590
Boston Acoustic VR 30 Fronts
Boston Acoustic VR 20 Surrounds
Boston Acoustic VR10 Center
Energy ESW-310 Subwoofer
post #3636 of 5499 Old 08-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been able to get Harmony to control zone2? I have not been able to get my 890 to learn the zone 2 toggle.
post #3637 of 5499 Old 08-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

Has anyone been able to get Harmony to control zone2? I have not been able to get my 890 to learn the zone 2 toggle.

i don't have an 807 but i've been talking to people to verify zone 2 control...my understanding is the zone 2 toggle just changes the mode of the remote. it doesn't actually send a signal.

so the harmony doesn't need to learn the toggle. you hit the the toggle to change to zone 2 mode on the remote, and then the harmony learns the zone 2 commands you send while in that mode.

- Chris
post #3638 of 5499 Old 08-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnathra View Post

i don't have an 807 but i've been talking to people to verify zone 2 control...my understanding is the zone 2 toggle just changes the mode of the remote. it doesn't actually send a signal.

so the harmony doesn't need to learn the toggle. you hit the the toggle to change to zone 2 mode on the remote, and then the harmony learns the zone 2 commands you send while in that mode.

Thanks Agnathra, I will work with that and see what I can do. I have to figure out how to power on zone 2.

Best
Ray
post #3639 of 5499 Old 08-22-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Hey guys just wondering in your opinions do you think the Onkyo 807 can power and handle the Paradigm Monitor 5.1 system I have which is a pair of Monitor 11's v.6, pair of ADP-390's v.6, CC-290 and the DSP-3200??? Wondering what AVR you guys would use to power these?

Sure, why not? The 807 is a beast with plenty of power! Ask anyone that owns one.

I have a 7.2 system set up with 6ohm speakers, a 200watt and a 290watt sub, p l e n t y of power. The speakers are 130watt.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #3640 of 5499 Old 08-22-2010, 10:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

Have you tried this:
To by-pass video upconversion in the receiver, simultaneously press the [VCR/DVR] and [RETURN] buttons on the AV receiver. While continuing to hold down the [VCR/DVR] button, press the [RETURN] button to toggle until "Skip" appears on the display. Release both buttons. To use the video upconversion in the receiver, repeat the above process until "Use" appears on the display and release the buttons."

This turns off video processing completely you will lose the OSD overlay. I had issues with my 360 until I did this.

I couldn't get this to work till I read this post.
Instruction manual has no mention of,"continue to hold VCR/DVR button down".
I just pressed both down and let both buttons go.
My HD channels on cable are the same,but non hd seem better.Thanks for the info.
post #3641 of 5499 Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM

Hi Folks,

If you have multiple components (XBOX 360, DVD, HD PVR, media streamer) connected to an 807 by HDMI, will video and audio still be passed through the HDMI Out to the TV if the receiver is in Standby? And if so, what determines which device gets passed?

It probably sounds like a strange question, but I'm looking to replace my current non-HDMI receiver and was all set on the 807 until I read the manual and realized that turning the audio on the HDMI Out on or off is a multi-step menu process rather than a single remote button. With my current set-up, the HDMI from all components run to a switch and that goes to the TV. Optical/digital audio from all components go to the receiver. This, although causing mass cable clutter, allows me to keep the peace with my wife by setting up two of everything on the Harmony remote. For example, "TV Loud" & "TV Quiet", "DVD Loud" & "DVD Quiet", "XBOX Loud" & "XBOX Quiet" etc. For anything "Quiet", the receiver stays off and both audio/video are through HDMI and volume is controlled on the TV (i.e. "wife mode"). Anything "Loud" (i.e. Husband mode") turns the receiver on so video is through HDMI to the TV and audio is through the receiver (with the TV muted). The problem is that the "Audio TV Out" setting on the 807 is too many button presses too reliably set-up on a Harmony, so that can't be used to re-create what I have today. I was wondering then, if the unit did just pass the HDMI signal through the output (audio and video) when in standby, I might be able to pull it off. That way it would be similar to what I have today- quiet means receiver in standby, loud means it's on and doing it's thing.

Any input would be appreciated,
Thanks
post #3642 of 5499 Old 08-23-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

Thanks Agnathra, I will work with that and see what I can do. I have to figure out how to power on zone 2.

Best
Ray

I have the 807 and the Harmony One and have it powering on and off Zone 2..

Been awhile, but if I remember correctly I added to both the start up and shutdown commands for the receiver.

For start up I toggled to zone 2 and had the Harmony learn the power on and then did the same for shut down.

When I power the receiver on it also runs the command to power on Zone 2 and does the reverse on shutdown.

Hope that makes sense...
post #3643 of 5499 Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Zigboo... Your system setup sounds to be overly complex. Wouldn't it just be easier to show your wife the "Volume -" button to achieve the "Quit" modes?

... Really, I am not trying to be a wise guy, but wouldn't that overcome the issue?
post #3644 of 5499 Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaTheater View Post

Zigboo... Your system setup sounds to be overly complex. Wouldn't it just be easier to show your wife the "Volume -" button to achieve the "Quit" modes?

... Really, I am not trying to be a wise guy, but wouldn't that overcome the issue?

Heh... You'd think so, but my wife, like almost every women I know, really doesn't want surround sound and subwoofers when she's watching TV. I don't mean that to be a generalization, as I'm quite certain there are many women who do like a good home theatre experience, even for the local news, but outside of a good sci-fi movie, she really prefers listening to the TV speakers. So that said, over complex, yup- can't argue that at all. But... well worth the peace and harmony it brings. I get to tweak and fiddle and make things go boom, she gets to enjoy being analogue. It's win-win...
post #3645 of 5499 Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm not an expert since I've never used my sets speakers, but I can see a fairly easy way using the Harmony to accomplish what you're after --I think. I don't think the 807 will pass what ever is active to the TV, I believe, others here can correct me, it passes what ever input was used last before it was turned off.

When programming for "Quiet" you initially turn the receiver on, select the input, turn the TV on, then have the 807 turn off. It should then pass the correct input to the TV.
post #3646 of 5499 Old 08-24-2010, 12:35 AM

Im new to receivers. What does the Faroudja scaling do? And how is it superior to its competitors?

Thanks,
Adam
post #3647 of 5499 Old 08-24-2010, 05:13 AM

I've not had success in having my reciever connecting to the ethernet network at home. It just stall searching for a connection.

Has this problem been discussed in this thread and do you know on which pages?

Geir
post #3648 of 5499 Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeirTj View Post

I've not had success in having my reciever connecting to the ethernet network at home. It just stall searching for a connection.

Geir

I had this problem--had to turn off the receiver, disconnect the Ethernet cable then turn on the receiver again and then the cable and then it worked. Can you give a bit more background? Router / point in between the "net" and the receiver?
post #3649 of 5499 Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by esfan_adam View Post

Im new to receivers. What does the Faroudja scaling do? And how is it superior to its competitors?

Thanks,
Adam

It's an upscaling chip, so you can have another option to convert, say, 480i or 480p to 720p or 1080i or whatever.

It's not necessarily superior to all chips. It depends on which you're comparing it to. The Reon chip found in the 3007/5007 is more respected, but you'll pay more for them.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3650 of 5499 Old 08-24-2010, 12:44 PM

My wife is the same way so i have set up my receiver on dafault Stereo for the TV channels so only the front 2 speakers work as the stereo and the surrounds and sub is not working and this works fine for both of us as when i watch TV i just used my harmony screen buttons to toggle to different audio options for my own preference.
post #3651 of 5499 Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigboo View Post

Heh... You'd think so, but my wife, like almost every women I know, really doesn't want surround sound and subwoofers when she's watching TV. I don't mean that to be a generalization, as I'm quite certain there are many women who do like a good home theatre experience, even for the local news, but outside of a good sci-fi movie, she really prefers listening to the TV speakers. So that said, over complex, yup- can't argue that at all. But... well worth the peace and harmony it brings. I get to tweak and fiddle and make things go boom, she gets to enjoy being analogue. It's win-win...

My wife is the same way so i have set up my receiver on dafault Stereo for the TV channels so only the front 2 speakers work as the stereo and the surrounds and sub is not working and this works fine for both of us as when i watch TV i just used my harmony screen buttons to toggle to different audio options for my own preference.
post #3652 of 5499 Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmalik21 View Post

This so interesting because last night over a glass of wine my wife and I were discussing the new layout for the kitchen/livingroom/dinningroom...

Although she had to be convinced that a modest 5.1 system was the way to go with the plasma she really surprised me when she suggested that the Klipschorn's would work very well in the living room for stereo listening!

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow...

Al
post #3653 of 5499 Old 08-24-2010, 03:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeirTj View Post

Geir

Yes it has.Two ways to fix.
Turn off receiver with button on receiver.Unplug ethernet cable.
Turn unit back on with receiver button.Reconnect ethenet cable.Should connect after this.
If not,power off unit.Unplug unit.Disconnect ethernet cable.Re-connect unit to power source.Power unit up.Re-connect ethernet cable.
Both of theses have worked for me.Some sort of glitch with the unit.
Hope this helps.
post #3654 of 5499 Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigboo View Post

Hi Folks,

If you have multiple components (XBOX 360, DVD, HD PVR, media streamer) connected to an 807 by HDMI, will video and audio still be passed through the HDMI Out to the TV if the receiver is in Standby? And if so, what determines which device gets passed?

The last input that was being used before shutting down the receiver gets audio/video pass thru when it's in standdby. I've discovered that RIHD needs to be on and power control is set to on, Tv control can be set to on or off. I have mine set to off, otherwise the receiver turns on everytime I want to watch TV.

Lon

post #3655 of 5499 Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acee3 View Post

for my zone 2 on my 807, DLNA is working, and so is streaming from a non-DLNA NAS (D-Link DNS-323 NAS running it's own media server s/w).

acee3: are you able to use the 'play to' with files from your D-link 323? or can you only access the music via the onkyo interface? I have been looking to get a NAS of some sort but I have read that you can't use WMP 12 with the 323. Reading through your posts I think we have pretty much the same goal of trying to remotely control digital streaming through different zones using the 807 and a laptop/nettop. If your setup is working I'll probably pick up a 323, but if not I'm trying to research a DLNA compliant NAS.
post #3656 of 5499 Old 08-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnathra View Post

Thanks for the help. I am making progress slowly. Has anybody been able to get the Harmony to control the volume in zone 2 of an HT-180? Every time I try to teach my 890 that command (volume up or down with the red zone 2 indicator lit) the software says command received and then just freezes.
post #3657 of 5499 Old 08-27-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post

I had this problem--had to turn off the receiver, disconnect the Ethernet cable then turn on the receiver again and then the cable and then it worked. Can you give a bit more background? Router / point in between the "net" and the receiver?

Thank you,
I'll come back with more detailed info when I get my computer expert at my home to aid me :-)

Geir
post #3658 of 5499 Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 AM

Thank you,
I'll try this and report.

GeirTj
post #3659 of 5499 Old 08-29-2010, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How would this receiver compare to a Denon AVR 989? In terms of sound quality and video processing?
post #3660 of 5499 Old 08-29-2010, 06:11 PM

I recently bought the 807 and love it. I have it connected to my new Samsung 58C7000.

I have a question and not sure if this is even possible.......my Onkyo & plasma are connected via 1 HDMI cable. I also have an ethernet connection to the Onkyo. Is it possible for me to connect the receiver to the internet and listen to a football game announcer but also watch the same ballgame without the TV sound? can I split the HDMI somehow to make this happen?

Basically I want to watch an Alabama football game and listen to Eli Gold call the game instead of listening to the tv network announcer.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page