post #361 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

I am having the most difficult time choosing receivers!! I am looking into either the Onkyo TX-NR807 or the Denon 3310 or perhaps 4310 but its a bit pricey! Any help would be aprreciated! Thanks

i have the 807, it replaces a Denon 3808ci. the 3310 is not internet cabable which is a really great feature both for firmware upgrading and streaming audio. my 3808 was a fine piece of equipment never had a problem and i didn't mind forking out the $100 to upgrade Audyssey. Internet radio is really a cool feature found on both the 4310 and 807, what sets the 807 apart from the Denon's internet radio is Pandora (a free service), with Pandora you choose an artist and it chooses similar music and you then fine tune the selections by voting that you like it or not (1 click for like 2 for don't like) this information is stored in your profile and helps refine the music selections
if you plan on playing around with DSX from Audyssey then the 807 is the only way to go, i have 11 speakers and 2 subs hooked up and i can switch between 7.1, 5.1+Wides, 5.1+Heights with a click from the remote. Audyssey calculates all 11 speakers. with the 3310\\4310 you only have 7 speaker connections and to change modes you have to rewire the speaker connections and rerun Audyssey. on the other side the Denon's have a better video upscaling even though the new Cinema chip is no slouch compared to the old Edge DDCI Anchor Bay VRS is state of the art( I use an OPPO BDP-83 blu which uses VRS so i really don't care about the video processor in the AVR. hope this helps some
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I thought the 3310 was a network receiver as well?? Thanks for all the info so far though guys!! Aprreciate it!
post #363 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

I thought the 3310 was a network receiver as well?? Thanks for all the info so far though guys!! Aprreciate it!

your correct, but no DSX
post #364 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

i have the 807, it replaces a Denon 3808ci. the 3310 is not internet cabable which is a really great feature both for firmware upgrading and streaming audio. my 3808 was a fine piece of equipment never had a problem and i didn't mind forking out the $100 to upgrade Audyssey. Internet radio is really a cool feature found on both the 4310 and 807, what sets the 807 apart from the Denon's internet radio is Pandora (a free service), with Pandora you choose an artist and it chooses similar music and you then fine tune the selections by voting that you like it or not (1 click for like 2 for don't like) this information is stored in your profile and helps refine the music selections

Trying to log in to my (free) Pandora account from the HT-RC180, I get an "this account has been disabled" (or something equivalent) message, and therefore can't stream. Do you know if you have to have the paid $36/year Pandora account to stream over the 807/180?
post #365 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfGovern View Post

Trying to log in to my (free) Pandora account from the HT-RC180, I get an "this account has been disabled" (or something equivalent) message, and therefore can't stream. Do you know if you have to have the paid $36/year Pandora account to stream over the 807/180?

my pandora is free, even the pc version is free... are you thinking rhapsody instead that is a subscription service...
post #366 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 09:33 AM

I tried pandora on my 807 and it works fine, for free. all i did was select pandora, enter my acct, pass, and it was up and running. similar to using it with your pc except no keyboard. i don't think i'll ever use the regular tuner ever again. maybe try it again on your pc and see if it works ok.
post #367 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by air1max View Post

i tried pandora on my 807 and it works fine, for free. All i did was select pandora, enter my acct, pass, and it was up and running. Similar to using it with your pc except no keyboard. I don't think i'll ever use the regular tuner ever again. Maybe try it again on your pc and see if it works ok.

+1000
post #368 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

if you plan on playing around with DSX from Audyssey then the 807 is the only way to go, i have 11 speakers and 2 subs hooked up and i can switch between 7.1, 5.1+Wides, 5.1+Heights with a click from the remote.

Do you prefer heights or wides? I have two sets of speakers arriving today to be installed tommorow...I may only install one pair and use the second pair for another room. Thanks for any input!
post #369 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

Do you prefer heights or wides? I have two sets of speakers arriving today to be installed tommorow...I may only install one pair and use the second pair for another room. Thanks for any input!

sorry verdict is definitely still out, some sources i like the heights others wide and some PLz.
if my room was wider i think wides would win, but i'm cramped for space only 12.5 feet across x 25 feet deep
post #370 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

That sounds like the display behavior when you have Pure Audio selected as the listening mode. In this mode the display and video processing circuitry is turned off. If you change to another listening mode the display will stay on.

Actually, this is happening when one of the Dolby music modes is selected - I've actually never really used "Pure Audio" mode, other than to just check it out for a second...

So not sure why the display goes blank - guess I'll keep an eye on it & try to identify what conditions it occurs under...

Thanks,

Barry
post #371 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkushin View Post

Thanks! This helps - I'll check it out tomorrow. If this works it should take care of my "green" problem. For some reason, my TWC cable box outputs a VERY green picture through the component output. HDMI looks fine, just component has a green cast. I have it wired both to my TV directly (component) and to my receiver (HDMI) so I can watch news, etc.. without turning on my receiver. If I can just use HDMI through the receiver with it powered off/standby, then I can avoid component & a very green picture...

Thanks,

Barry

OK - checked this out & it works great! Passes everything through to my TV through HDMI with the receiver off! THANKS for this tip - solves my green problem for now. Although, I'm still trying to determine why I'm getting this green cast though component - I'm beginning to suspect the cable. Which is a pain since it's in the wall...

BTW, does anyone know what, if anything, is the downside of turning this on? Exactly what's happening inside the receiver in this mode? How is it passing the signal through? The manual says this setting uses more power - how much more? Why? Just curious...

Thanks again!
post #372 of 5485 Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 PM

First off, let me start by apologizing if I come across a bit bitter, but I am terribly frustrated at this point. I'm currently on my second receiver and there seems to be no end to the issues I'm having.

What I've encountered so far:

1. The first unit that was shipped had a faulty display. The twelveth and thirteenth columns from the right duplicated each other's output, resulting in a garbled display. For example, if there is an 'e' in the twelveth column and an 'a' in the thirteenth column, both columns would display an e with an a superimposed. I returned the unit and the replacement unit does not have this issue.

2. When attempting to perform a firmware update with my first unit, the display panel indicated that there is "no update", and proceeded to wrest control from me, disallowing any inputs whatsoever. Two hours later, I powered the unit down and then turned it back on, only to discover that absolutely nothing had changed; the receiver still could not be freed from it's "updating" status. Final solution: perform a hard reset by holding down the DVR/VCR button while powering down and kiss all my settings goodbye. I attempted to do a firmware update upon receipt of my replacement unit, and the results were wholly similar with one exeption. I was able to regain control of the receiver without doing a hard reset after approximately 15 minutes. Why I had to wait 15 minutes to use my receiver after being told "no update" is beyond me, and is quite inconvenient. I can understand taking 15 minutes to update, but taking 15 minutes to not update? Can you imagine if everything was like this? What if your boss came to your desk and said, "Hey Jeff, you know those TPS reports I asked for? Well it turns out, I don't need to do them anymore." and you replied "Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhh. It's going to take me at least two days to not do what you've asked me to not do. Better get the secretary to hold my calls, I need to devote all my energy to not doing this." But I digress...

3. With the first unit I had, the internet streaming options worked for a little while, however at some point, when trying to utilize the net features, I was greeted with a "no server" screen. Once the net features failed to work once (by displaying "no server" when the net button was pressed), all streaming internet services were unusable until I performed a hard reset on the unit. This happened at least twice on the first unit, but has yet to happen on my replacement unit. Unfortunately, this does not mean that the "no server" screen is a thing of the past. See the next item...

4. When changing listening modes whilst listening to internet radio (Rhapsody, actually), I press the "receiver" button on the remote in order to get the "music" button to perform the function I want. To change the remote mode back to "net", I press the "net" input selector and am promply greeted with a halt to the music and a screen telling me "no server". In order to resume music playback, I have to hit the "net" input a selector a second time. I consider this to be a moderately annoying bug.

5. The results returned by the search feature in the Rhapsody receiver module are substantually different (and arguably less relevant) than the search results returned when searching for songs in Rhapsody using a PC. For example, entering "Bach" in the search engine on the PC results in the #1 hit being Johann Sebastian Bach. Using the receiver, Johann Sebastian Bach isn't even an option. This wouldn't be as big a deal if it weren't for the fact that many of the returned results didn't even have a B-A-C-H, nor any other permutation of the letters, in the title. This probably isn't a bug, but it sure is annoying when you consider just how long it takes to type in an artist's name exactly with no misspellings using only a receiver remote.

6. Once I was finally able to find the Bach I was looking for using the search feature, the network would time out every time I selected "albums". This hasn't happened to any other artists I've searched for, only Bach. If I were to guess, this is due to the sheer number of albums being attributed to Bach (over 100 when I do the same search on the PC). I good way to test this theory is to search for another artist with hundreds of albums, but at this point I haven't the patience.

7. While listening to a playlist in Rhapsody, the playback stopped after the completion of one song and the next song did not start. After waiting for a few minutes, I exited Rhapsody and re-entered. However, when I attempted to play ANYTHING over the net, be it the playlist that was playing before, an individual song in Rhapsody, internet radio channels, or Pandora, the receiver displays the message "cannot play". Yes, that's right folks. The networking features on my unit are now completely broken and unusable. I've validated the internet connectivity by sucessfully performing searches for various artists/albums, so I don't believe this is the problem. I've yet to figure this one out, however I fear that there may be a hard reset in this unit's future.

8. I've noticed that, while watching TV, periodically the display on the receiver will read "dialog norm -3dB". I don't recall what exactly I was doing when this message showed up, probably messing with listening modes or audio settings, but I do know that it is repeatable. I read the manual in an attempt to discover what this was and how I could control it, but the literature provided is silent on the subject. One of my pet peeves is super loud explosions and whisper quiet dialog, so if anyone out there knows what this message means and if there is some way I can control it, I am all ears.

9. With the first unit I had, I experimented with the Pandora feature. I worked reasonably well with the exception that the receiver did not store my user name or password upon exit, necessitating re-entry every time I wanted to use Pandora. With the time commitment involved in entering data via the remote, this ensured that I would not be using Pandora. Ever. I have yet to check if the second unit exhibits this same behavior.

10. As the proud owner of a Panasonic V10 series TV, I am fortunate enough to suffer from the bug preventing anything from being upscaled to 1080p until Panasonic issues the patch. I know that this isn't necessarily and issue with the receiver, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway in order to pad my list.

Having said all that, I still am mostly happy with the receiver. I chose the 807 over the 707 due to the network capabilities and considering the fact that, on multiple occasions, I've managed to render the network capabilities completely useless, this is a decision that I am currently regretting. I will say that I do believe that at least some of the issues listed above are due to operator error. Feel free to respond and call me an idiot; I have no doubt that many of the above items are due to my own incompetence. My only request, if you do take me up on this offer, is that you inform me of where I've gone wrong. Sorry for being a bit long winded, but my hope is that some fruitful discussion will come of this.

-EDIT-

I noticed the "network" indicator light on the receiver's display was blinking, indicating that a network connection could not be established. I suspect that this, in conjunction with my propensity to reset the unit, is the crux of many of the problems I've been having (e.g. Pandora log in info being wiped out, "no server" and "cannot play" errors, etc.). I went ahead and bit the bullet and performed a hard reset (it's the only thing that does exactly what I expect it to do!), and sure enough, the network features appear to be available once again. I have no idea why the network connection, once lost, can never be re-established by the receiver without a hard reset. If anyone knows of a way to repair a network connection WITHOUT wiping out all settings (audyssey MultiEQ, input names and settings, Rhapsody/Pandora log-ins, etc. etc. ad nauseum), I'd love to hear it.

-EDIT 2-

Since I reset the unit, every time I press the "net" input selector, I'm greeted with a "now initializing" screen. This did not happen before the reset, even when the net features were working. Any thoughts?
post #373 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkushin View Post

The manual says this setting uses more power - how much more?

I recall having seen someone messure it with one of the x06 models, and the result was 38 watt...
post #374 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdj1974 View Post

I recall having seen someone messure it with one of the x06 models, and the result was 38 watt...

Can you clarify if that was 38w total, or 38w more than "normal" standby?

BK
post #375 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 12:43 AM

Well, I was playing around with my 807 tonight and did a Firmware Update. It usually says No Update and then hangs. Tonight it actually downloaded something. It's was "writing" and then hung with an error 2-23. It seems to work OK now. I'm just wondering what the firmware update was supposed to address, I now have Firmware Version 1051-0702-0010-9120 despite the error?
post #376 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenynge View Post

-EDIT-

I noticed the "network" indicator light on the receiver's display was blinking, indicating that a network connection could not be established. I suspect that this, in conjunction with my propensity to reset the unit, is the crux of many of the problems I've been having (e.g. Pandora log in info being wiped out, "no server" and "cannot play" errors, etc.). I went ahead and bit the bullet and performed a hard reset (it's the only thing that does exactly what I expect it to do!), and sure enough, the network features appear to be available once again. I have no idea why the network connection, once lost, can never be re-established by the receiver without a hard reset. If anyone knows of a way to repair a network connection WITHOUT wiping out all settings (audyssey MultiEQ, input names and settings, Rhapsody/Pandora log-ins, etc. etc. ad nauseum), I'd love to hear it.

I don't know if it would work, but before I reset my receiver, I'd try changing the network settings in the unit, from DHCP , to an assigned address (try 10.10.123.4, netmask 255.255.255.0), , back to DHCP, .

Failing that, unplug the network cable for five or ten minutes.

Failing that, consider changing the range of DHCP addresses that your router assignes, i.e., from the default 192.168.1.x to 192.168.33.x. Once this is done, you can go back to verify that the receiver has picked up the new address, and then change the router back.

Or, if you're using DHCP, turn it off, and manually assign IP addresses to your devices (computer, receiver, blu-ray player, etc.). To do this, make sure you know what you're doing, and have the appropriate information like nameserver, gateway, netmask... and that you're using a non-routable set of addresses, such as 192.168.x.x.

Also, it's possible that your router is a bit flaky. There *is* a difference in quality between many brands, and switching to a different brand with a better reputation might help.
post #377 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 06:05 AM
SVM

Looking for recommendation on speaker setup with TXNR807 in my family room with pre built entertainment center! I just brought the front left, front right and center (2-Polk Monitor 60's & CS2), the center will be placed in the entertainment center above the TV and the front right and left will be standing next to the entertainment center. The subwoofer (PA-120) will be on the left front corner facing the room.

Then there are 5 speakers pre built in my ceiling (11 Ft height) - 3 in a row to the front close to the entertainment center and two in a row in the back of the room. The room being a typical square I was intending to use the back ones as surround back left and right speakers, the front two in the far as Surround left and right speakers even though they are far from the recommended placement. I am not using the one in center of front row built in.

When I see page 18 of the manual there are three options for 7 speaker configuration – what I described above would be using the first option, the other two options are using front high pair or front wide pair instead of surround back pair. In my opinion from page 17 pictures I can say my back pair built in the ceiling should act as surround left and right and the front row built in can act as front high or front wide based on how they are pre-built and our seating arrangement.

I am totally newbie here and asking your recommendation on the speaker setup so that I can enjoy the 807 built in features, I am not sure what I am loosing or gaining with front high or wide setup with no surround back. (Page 17 says surround back are necessary for Dolby digital, DTS, THX etc. whereas front high provide Dolby pro logic II height and Audyssey dynamic surround expansion etc.) Re arranging the ceiling built in is not an option at this time.

Thx
post #378 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLgBch View Post

Well, I was playing around with my 807 tonight and did a Firmware Update. It usually says No Update and then hangs. Tonight it actually downloaded something. It's was "writing" and then hung with an error 2-23. It seems to work OK now. I'm just wondering what the firmware update was supposed to address, I now have Firmware Version 1051-0702-0010-9120 despite the error?

I think I am starting to understand why Onkyo was reluctant to make fw updates available over the internet...probably have to hire half a dozen csrs to take calls from people
post #379 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 07:05 AM

Liked: 11
Hey All,

Starting to feel the 5 year upgrade itch, and the NR807 might fit the bill. As a few of you are starting to get units, my questions concern the networking features. I've been reading the posts about the internet connectivity (pandora, rhap), but I'm wondering about how these units are interacting with windows media player and ipods...The owners manual diagrams/pictures are "thin," at best. Does the WMP/iPod (w/dock for ipod of course) interaction allow you access playlists, does it display album art, etc? Any future help/screen shots as you guys explore your new toys would be greatly appreciated. Looks to be a good gearhead year with the new offerings from onkyo, pioneer elite, marantz/denon. All the best.
post #380 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

8. I've noticed that, while watching TV, periodically the display on the receiver will read "dialog norm -3dB". I don't recall what exactly I was doing when this message showed up, probably messing with listening modes or audio settings, but I do know that it is repeatable. I read the manual in an attempt to discover what this was and how I could control it, but the literature provided is silent on the subject. One of my pet peeves is super loud explosions and whisper quiet dialog, so if anyone out there knows what this message means and if there is some way I can control it, I am all ears.

Since I reset the unit, every time I press the "net" input selector, I'm greeted with a "now initializing" screen. This did not happen before the reset, even when the net features were working. Any thoughts?

the "dialog norm -3db" is normal and has to do with it making the correct setting to standards.. my denon3808ci did this everytime you would switch to TV and I was bothered about it until I stumbled upon a post that answered why it did it(don't have the post) so what you see is normal behavior.
my "NET" feature has always said either "connecting or initializing" when going from one mode (iRadio Pandora, etc.) I would consider it normal behavior also....
post #381 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_856er View Post

Can you clarify if that was 38w total, or 38w more than "normal" standby?

BK

My question as well...
post #382 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 04:15 PM

I found the thread again, and it was 38 watt in total for a 606. He didn't mention what it used without this option enabled.
However; while searching for the thread I also found this one:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo...nsumption.html
It states that the 805 uses less that 1 watt normally, but 65 watt if you enable the hdmi control...
post #383 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First off, let me start by apologizing if I come across a bit bitter, but I am terribly frustrated at this point. I'm currently on my second receiver and there seems to be no end to the issues I'm having.

What I've encountered so far:

1. The first unit that was shipped had a faulty display. The twelveth and thirteenth columns from the right duplicated each other's output, resulting in a garbled display. For example, if there is an 'e' in the twelveth column and an 'a' in the thirteenth column, both columns would display an e with an a superimposed. I returned the unit and the replacement unit does not have this issue.

2. When attempting to perform a firmware update with my first unit, the display panel indicated that there is "no update", and proceeded to wrest control from me, disallowing any inputs whatsoever. Two hours later, I powered the unit down and then turned it back on, only to discover that absolutely nothing had changed; the receiver still could not be freed from it's "updating" status. Final solution: perform a hard reset by holding down the DVR/VCR button while powering down and kiss all my settings goodbye. I attempted to do a firmware update upon receipt of my replacement unit, and the results were wholly similar with one exeption. I was able to regain control of the receiver without doing a hard reset after approximately 15 minutes. Why I had to wait 15 minutes to use my receiver after being told "no update" is beyond me, and is quite inconvenient. I can understand taking 15 minutes to update, but taking 15 minutes to not update? Can you imagine if everything was like this? What if your boss came to your desk and said, "Hey Jeff, you know those TPS reports I asked for? Well it turns out, I don't need to do them anymore." and you replied "Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhh. It's going to take me at least two days to not do what you've asked me to not do. Better get the secretary to hold my calls, I need to devote all my energy to not doing this." But I digress...

3. With the first unit I had, the internet streaming options worked for a little while, however at some point, when trying to utilize the net features, I was greeted with a "no server" screen. Once the net features failed to work once (by displaying "no server" when the net button was pressed), all streaming internet services were unusable until I performed a hard reset on the unit. This happened at least twice on the first unit, but has yet to happen on my replacement unit. Unfortunately, this does not mean that the "no server" screen is a thing of the past. See the next item...

4. When changing listening modes whilst listening to internet radio (Rhapsody, actually), I press the "receiver" button on the remote in order to get the "music" button to perform the function I want. To change the remote mode back to "net", I press the "net" input selector and am promply greeted with a halt to the music and a screen telling me "no server". In order to resume music playback, I have to hit the "net" input a selector a second time. I consider this to be a moderately annoying bug.

5. The results returned by the search feature in the Rhapsody receiver module are substantually different (and arguably less relevant) than the search results returned when searching for songs in Rhapsody using a PC. For example, entering "Bach" in the search engine on the PC results in the #1 hit being Johann Sebastian Bach. Using the receiver, Johann Sebastian Bach isn't even an option. This wouldn't be as big a deal if it weren't for the fact that many of the returned results didn't even have a B-A-C-H, nor any other permutation of the letters, in the title. This probably isn't a bug, but it sure is annoying when you consider just how long it takes to type in an artist's name exactly with no misspellings using only a receiver remote.

6. Once I was finally able to find the Bach I was looking for using the search feature, the network would time out every time I selected "albums". This hasn't happened to any other artists I've searched for, only Bach. If I were to guess, this is due to the sheer number of albums being attributed to Bach (over 100 when I do the same search on the PC). I good way to test this theory is to search for another artist with hundreds of albums, but at this point I haven't the patience.

7. While listening to a playlist in Rhapsody, the playback stopped after the completion of one song and the next song did not start. After waiting for a few minutes, I exited Rhapsody and re-entered. However, when I attempted to play ANYTHING over the net, be it the playlist that was playing before, an individual song in Rhapsody, internet radio channels, or Pandora, the receiver displays the message "cannot play". Yes, that's right folks. The networking features on my unit are now completely broken and unusable. I've validated the internet connectivity by sucessfully performing searches for various artists/albums, so I don't believe this is the problem. I've yet to figure this one out, however I fear that there may be a hard reset in this unit's future.

9. With the first unit I had, I experimented with the Pandora feature. I worked reasonably well with the exception that the receiver did not store my user name or password upon exit, necessitating re-entry every time I wanted to use Pandora. With the time commitment involved in entering data via the remote, this ensured that I would not be using Pandora. Ever. I have yet to check if the second unit exhibits this same behavior.

10. As the proud owner of a Panasonic V10 series TV, I am fortunate enough to suffer from the bug preventing anything from being upscaled to 1080p until Panasonic issues the patch. I know that this isn't necessarily and issue with the receiver, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway in order to pad my list.

Having said all that, I still am mostly happy with the receiver. I chose the 807 over the 707 due to the network capabilities and considering the fact that, on multiple occasions, I've managed to render the network capabilities completely useless, this is a decision that I am currently regretting. I will say that I do believe that at least some of the issues listed above are due to operator error. Feel free to respond and call me an idiot; I have no doubt that many of the above items are due to my own incompetence. My only request, if you do take me up on this offer, is that you inform me of where I've gone wrong. Sorry for being a bit long winded, but my hope is that some fruitful discussion will come of this.

-EDIT-

-EDIT 2-

I have your display issue too - where did you get your unit from?

I have also been unable to update the firmware.
post #384 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdj1974 View Post

I found the thread again, and it was 38 watt in total for a 606. He didn't mention what it used without this option enabled.
However; while searching for the thread I also found this one:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo...nsumption.html
It states that the 805 uses less that 1 watt normally, but 65 watt if you enable the hdmi control...

Wow. That is a huge price to pay for hdmi control, assuming that the -07 is not more efficient.

Thanks for digging that up.

BK
post #385 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 05:40 PM

i was searching all over and also double checked the manual but i couldn't find anything. sorry if this has already been asked. do you guys ever power off your receiver completely? the manual says only if you leave it off for an extended amount of time. how long is that? if you do power off, do you lose your settings? is there battery backup like in a pc? i could try it out myself, but i thought i'd ask just in case it does lose all its settings in a power outage. thanks.
post #386 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the replies regarding my networking issues and the "Dialog norm -3dB" message. With respect to the networking issues, I have a Linksys router with 3 other devices connected: my PC, a Panasonic V10 TV, and a PS3. I have never had any issues with any of these; internet connectivity on my computer works beautifully, I've sucessfully streamed multiple movies to the TV with Amazon on Demand, and have had no issues downloading things from the Playstation Store. I put a call into Onkyo tech support and the gentleman I spoke to said that changing the input from net to something else and back to net should have corrected any of the networking issues I was having. It didn't.

Furthermore, he was able to enlighten me on "normal" behavior of the TX-NR807 AVR. In a nutshell, items 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 of my previous post are indicative of a faulty receiver. For those keeping score at home, 1, 2, and 3 affected my first unit, and 2, 4 and 7 affected my second. Items 5 and 6 can be considered charming little quirks of the receiver, and items 8 and 9 were caused my my own lack of intelligence. I guess item 10 is just a freebee thrown in by Panasonic. Additionally, the second unit was plagued by yet another issue not listed in my previous post; the my subwoofer did not work for any of the "net" options. No sound came out, and the display on the unit did not illuminate the SW symbol during playback with Rhapsody, vTuner, and Pandora. Let's just call this one issue number 11. Fortuantely, or unfortunately as the case may be, a reset of the unit corrected this issue. I must say that I am not all that excited to sit through another Audyssey MultiEQ calibration. The only good part about it is that the test tones generated sound a lot like laser cannon fire from the old X-wing PC game. Neat!

The gentleman I spoke to did mention something that I found interesting, as I think it may conflict with the experience of some of the others on this forum. I talked to him briefly about the unit's propensity to hang after attempting an update, and he said that the unit in front of him did not exhibit this behavior. He was able to attempt a firmware update and subsequently would have full control of the AVR via the remote. What I've found is that, after attempting a firmware update, the remote would stop functioning. The only way to clear the "no update" message for me is to walk up to the unit and push one of the input selector buttons on the face of the unit. Once I do that, the remote starts working again. I normally wouldn't think this is a big deal, but the fact that the unit sitting at Onkyo tech support doesn't have this issue is a bit concerning.

The end result of our conversation was that my second unit is defective and needs to be returned, which is causing me much consternation. Before I do this, I'd like to know if any of you have experiences like mine, specifically regarding the firmware update feature and item 4 of my previous post. Thanks in advance...
post #387 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I have your display issue too - where did you get your unit from?

I have also been unable to update the firmware.

The unit came from Newegg.com. I'd return it if I were you, and then let Onkyo know that they have a potential issue with some of their displays. I plan on emailing customer support so they have record of the issues that I am having.

When I spoke with tech support, they told me that there aren't any firmware updates available yet, so I wouldn't stress if your only issue is that no update was downloaded. Does your remote stop working after you attempt an update like mine does?
post #388 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 PM

Liked: 13
It would be interesting to poll 807 owners and see how many are having serious unit-returning problems. I would set up a poll if I knew what the heck I was doing.
post #389 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The unit came from Newegg.com. I'd return it if I were you, and then let Onkyo know that they have a potential issue with some of their displays. I plan on emailing customer support so they have record of the issues that I am having.

When I spoke with tech support, they told me that there aren't any firmware updates available yet, so I wouldn't stress if your only issue is that no update was downloaded. Does your remote stop working after you attempt an update like mine does?

did u return yours?
post #390 of 5485 Old 09-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

did u return yours?

Sure did. The replacement receiver didn't have the display issues, but seems to have a litany of issues with the net component. Newegg.com has been great. When I bought the unit, it was exchange only, no refund. After talking to them this afternoon, they've agreed to give me a refund for the second unit.

I may be in the market for a AVR from a manufacturer other than Onkyo. Anybody know if there is a receiver that has networking capability and Audyssey DSX (I'm kinda partial to the wides now, thanks Jeorod!) for around the same price as the 807?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page