Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 5489 Old 09-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Troll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
anyone with a newegg unit notice on the newegg label that the receiver has a "R" at the end of the model number? i am worried that it is refurbished, although everything points to new and the original onkyo label makes no reference to "R"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5489 Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As long as it's got the factory warranty, who cares
post #453 of 5489 Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM
SVM

The network feature works great! well worth over TXSR707 for me, I dont have to invest into IPOD dock.

Great receiver for playing music over the network! I am able to play all my mp3 collection from my PC through the "Net" mode, dont have to invest into Ipod dock. I had to do nothing other than connecitng the reciever to my 24port D-Link DGS-1024D switch. I was instantly on the network, and could see the reciever on my PC and accept it to share files. In the "net" mode on the TV screen you can see folders on the PC and pick the files you want to play. Make sure in your Vista windows firewall allow access to windows Media player related programs.

I was able to go online and play music on the radio stations over the net, I dont have access yet steup for any one of the major stations but the free ones were great!
I wish it could play video files too! (hopefully someday receivers will have this feature too! since upscaling is already built in)

I had no luck with Firmware update though! it says something like no update found - need to do more research! Any one has any luck with frimware update? which screen in setup can tell me my current version of firmware?

Update**
After an overnight standby when I turned on and tried the firmware update, it immediately connected and did an download, took a good 10 min. to do the upgrade. After the upgrade it gave an Ok: Sum = 1F5E979A on the receiver screen and stayed there, the only way I could get it out of this was to press the power button on the receiver. It is not as polished process as I would like, IMO it might have downloaded the firmware overnight while it was in standby as it was too fast in downloading the content. My frimware now shows 1181-2402-0010-9120 (This is displayed on top of the firmware upgrade screen)
post #454 of 5489 Old 09-16-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVM View Post

The network feature works great! well worth over TXSR707 for me, I dont have to invest into IPOD dock.

Great receiver for playing music over the network! I am able to play all my mp3 collection from my PC through the "Net" mode, dont have to invest into Ipod dock. I had to do nothing other than connecitng the reciever to my 24port D-Link DGS-1024D switch. I was instantly on the network, and could see the reciever on my PC and accept it to share files. In the "net" mode on the TV screen you can see folders on the PC and pick the files you want to play. Make sure in your Vista windows firewall allow access to windows Media player related programs.

I was able to go online and play music on the radio stations over the net, I dont have access yet steup for any one of the major stations but the free ones were great!
I wish it could play video files too! (hopefully someday receivers will have this feature too! since upscaling is already built in)

I had no luck with Firmware update though! it says something like no update found - need to do more research! Any one has any luck with frimware update? which screen in setup can tell me my current version of firmware?

theres no need for an ipod dock with the 707 either, or any lower end onkyo reciever, i just connect my iphone or ipod loaded full of mp3s into the auxillary in the back of the reciever and i have all my music right there, i can also listen to ANY internet radio station available on the whole internet aswell. the network feature on the 807 is convenient defintley but doesnt justify paying more for the 807 over the 707, for me.
i couldnt fit the 807 in my rack anyway, its too tall the 707 is just right with free space ontop I could fit the 807 if i removed it's legs but thats not safe cuz then the bottom will be blocked.

Its good to have the network for firmware updates for sure, thats a good thing to have, if the reciever has problems that is, if its solid then theres not much need for that feature. belive it or not, sometimes updates can break something thats working perfectly

Enjoy ur 807, i should have my 707 delivered soon aswell

that newegg deal was surely a killer deal , all of us lucky folks who caught the deal hit the jackpot that weekend
post #455 of 5489 Old 09-16-2009, 09:11 PM

network function (dlna/radio) can be used with the onkyo display (without TV)?
post #456 of 5489 Old 09-16-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdj1974 View Post

I also got the 807 and am trying to configure my attached devices, but I must be doing something wrong or misread the specifications. I have attached my components like this:

TV: HDMI out
PS3: HDMI1 - Input: DVD/BD
PVR: HDMI2 - Input: VCR/DVR
STB: HDMI3 - Input: CBL/SAT
xBox: Composite video and audio to GAME - Input Game
Wii: Component1 and audio to analog DVD/BD - Input DVD/BD

But when both my Wii and PS3 are turned on, I can't switch between them with the remote as they are both mapped to the DVD/BD input. Is it really true that the receiver has 6xHDMI + 2xComponent + 4xS-video inputs, but they need to be mapped to the only five to six selectable inputs: DVD/BD and VCR/DVR and CBL/SAT and Game and Aux (and Port)? I expect I can solve the problem by using the TV/Tape input, but I find it quite sad that I need to "cheat" to find available inputs already. I didn't expect to run out of available port for many years, but now it seems I'm already at it's limit.

I really hope I must be overlooking the obvious as this is a huge limitation as I see it.

That brings up a very good point. The 807 appears to have 5 video sources available- 4 rear connections for dvd/br, vcr/dvr, cbl/sat, and game. And a front auxilary input. So with a total of 5 video sources, why have 6 hdmi inputs??? Unless you can map the 6th hdmi connection to the tv/tape source? The connection on the back for tv/tape is for only left and right audio. Has anyone tried mapping a component like a dvd player to the tv/tape source, and if so, were you able to get both audio and video?? I'm trying to figure out how you could use all 6 hdmi inputs and be able to select all 6 of those sources.

Owner/Editor
Stereowiseplus
post #457 of 5489 Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali- View Post

network function (dlna/radio) can be used with the onkyo display (without TV)?

yes it can, i do it all the time as i have a plasma tv and i don't want any IR
post #458 of 5489 Old 09-17-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereowise View Post

Has anyone tried mapping a component like a dvd player to the tv/tape source, and if so, were you able to get both audio and video??

Yes, I ended up attaching my Wii to the component IN1 and the sound to the tv/tape. It works fine but I really didn't expect I would ever run out of inputs with this receiver...

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out how you could use all 6 hdmi inputs and be able to select all 6 of those sources.

I don't know either...
post #459 of 5489 Old 09-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Here's my dilemma...I'm looking at the receiver but I will JUST barely be able to place it in my setup. I have a bar that runs under each shelf and I'll have minimal clearance at the bar, and maybe 3/4-1" of space behind the bar vertically, with plenty of rear and side ventilation room.

Should I be worried? My room rarely gets over 72 in peak winter or summer, and I usually don't have marathon TV runs (no more than five hours at MOST).

Buying a new stand is out of the question, but I really like this receiver.

HELP!
post #460 of 5489 Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM
SVM

May be some cabinet cooling, the unit does get very warm. I am looking at this site for some fans.

http://www.coolerguys.com/compcooling.html
post #461 of 5489 Old 09-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:

That brings up a very good point. The 807 appears to have 5 video sources available- 4 rear connections for dvd/br, vcr/dvr, cbl/sat, and game. And a front auxilary input. So with a total of 5 video sources, why have 6 hdmi inputs??? Unless you can map the 6th hdmi connection to the tv/tape source? The connection on the back for tv/tape is for only left and right audio. Has anyone tried mapping a component like a dvd player to the tv/tape source, and if so, were you able to get both audio and video?? I'm trying to figure out how you could use all 6 hdmi inputs and be able to select all 6 of those sources.

You can may any source to any input. I currently have my XBox 360 connected via component/optical to the CD input and my AppleTV connected via HDMI to the TV/Tape input.

-Kevin
post #462 of 5489 Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

You can even rename the inputs to whatever you like.
post #463 of 5489 Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdj1974 View Post

I also got the 807 and am trying to configure my attached devices, but I must be doing something wrong or misread the specifications. I have attached my components like this:

TV: HDMI out
PS3: HDMI1 - Input: DVD/BD
PVR: HDMI2 - Input: VCR/DVR
STB: HDMI3 - Input: CBL/SAT
xBox: Composite video and audio to GAME - Input Game
Wii: Component1 and audio to analog DVD/BD - Input DVD/BD

But when both my Wii and PS3 are turned on, I can't switch between them with the remote as they are both mapped to the DVD/BD input. Is it really true that the receiver has 6xHDMI + 2xComponent + 4xS-video inputs, but they need to be mapped to the only five to six selectable inputs: DVD/BD and VCR/DVR and CBL/SAT and Game and Aux (and Port)? I expect I can solve the problem by using the TV/Tape input, but I find it quite sad that I need to "cheat" to find available inputs already. I didn't expect to run out of available port for many years, but now it seems I'm already at it's limit.

I really hope I must be overlooking the obvious as this is a huge limitation as I see it.

Yep, you are overlooking the obvious, which is that you game too much!
post #464 of 5489 Old 09-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post

Here's my dilemma...I'm looking at the receiver but I will JUST barely be able to place it in my setup. I have a bar that runs under each shelf and I'll have minimal clearance at the bar, and maybe 3/4-1" of space behind the bar vertically, with plenty of rear and side ventilation room.

Should I be worried? My room rarely gets over 72 in peak winter or summer, and I usually don't have marathon TV runs (no more than five hours at MOST).

Buying a new stand is out of the question, but I really like this receiver.

HELP!

If you've already bought the receiver...i'd say only option is to sell it to me for a nice egg like price....but besides that you should be fine...although heat rises, most of the heat should be routed out the back. Just make sure you have enough clearance behind it. I've had a yamaha receiver that runs pretty hot for the past 10 years in a tight space, still going strong. Anyway, if you're like half of us on here, you'll be swapping it out for a newer better receiver anyway...no matter how future proof it is. Good luck!
post #465 of 5489 Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 PM

Liked: 11
Joerod - how is the HDMI lock on with the 7 series? If I am using a cable box/sat and switching channels - what can I expect for time delay if any.
thanks
post #466 of 5489 Old 09-18-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
as an fyi, for those of you with any display issues, the dislay led on the 807 is back-ordered for a month...
post #467 of 5489 Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

I figured I'd post this here as well, since the features and display are pretty similar between the 707 I purchased and the 807:

I have some questions:

1) For the life of me, I can't get "Dolby True HD" or "DTS HD" to show up in the window as a selectable listening mode. I'm running my PS3 into the receiver via HDMI, and have tried both Bitstream and Linear PCM, as well as various films. What setting should I use, and why can't I see the HD audio format?

2) Is there any way to have video from an HDMI source (say HDMI 3 which is my 360) and listen to audio from an optical audio source (my cable box)?

3) Is there any way to use all the receiver functions (i.e. listening modes, etc) without hitting the receiver button on the remote? I hit BD/DVD in order to shift to that input, and then have to hit Receiver in order to change the listening modes, tweak the video output, etc.

Thanks!
post #468 of 5489 Old 09-18-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
1) what kind of PS3 do you have? the only model which can "bitstream" the HD audio codecs is the new SLIM. If you have a regular ("phat") PS3 you will never see "TrueHD" or "DTS-MA" because the PS3 has to decode it first.

2) no, this is generally not doable with HDMI sources (a restriction of HDMI unfortunately, it affects all brands). A big bummer for those of us who like to mix sources, like listening to music while the football game is on TV or something. There are workarounds if you are creative (I'm not familiar with Onkyo so I can't help with anything specific).

3) can't help, someone with an Onkyo hopefully can chime in.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #469 of 5489 Old 09-18-2009, 04:58 PM

Hi everyone,

I am leaning towards the 807 for my new setup. For those of you that have installed them, what's the general consensus? Are you happy with it?

Thanks,
Heliman

Heliman
post #470 of 5489 Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 PM

So far I've had mine hooked up for only a week. It was easy to set up and configure if you use the manual. Only problem I've had so far is getting the remote to work with my laserdisk player.

Auddessey setup took 2 tries, as my sub was not detected until changed its parameters. Then all went fine.

Connecting to Pandora was a breeze. Very cool!

So I'm still on my honeymoon.
post #471 of 5489 Old 09-18-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

2) Is there any way to have video from an HDMI source (say HDMI 3 which is my 360) and listen to audio from an optical audio source (my cable box)?

I can answer this. I use my 360 as a music server (external HDD with 200gb of music). I love watching the Phillies and playing music off of my 360 at the same time (If you listened to Chris Wheeler, our crap announcer, talk for more than an inning you would understand). What I did was double connect my cable box. I have HDMI going to my 805 and Component video going directly to my HDTV. I can use the picture in picture to display my 360 in the corner to change music and watch the game.

This can be done with a lot of devices. You could hook your 360 into your tv and run the optical cable to the 807. The Video would not be affected by the 807 at all and you would be free to listen to whatever you want.

You can do a lot of things with the 360. While playing games hit the X button on the controller and find the music tab. You can stream music from a PC, pull it from an ipod (connected to a USB port), the 360 HDD, or an external HDD connected to a USB (what I do). All 360 games must be able to have outside music playing. The benefit to this way is you can still have the sound effects and change the levels to whatever you want while listening to your music.

Most devices output through all outputs at the same time. If they have HDMI and Component, hook them up both ways (to TV and 807). Cable is the major one for me. I watch a lot of sports and I would rather listen to music most of the time.

I hope that helps you.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #472 of 5489 Old 09-19-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:

3) Is there any way to use all the receiver functions (i.e. listening modes, etc) without hitting the receiver button on the remote? I hit BD/DVD in order to shift to that input, and then have to hit Receiver in order to change the listening modes, tweak the video output, etc.

No Well, use a Logitech Harmony or simular universal remote.
It is even worse when listening to vTuner (or other Net source) After having pressed Receiver to change the sound settings you need to press Net to change channel/song. That re-starts the Net functionality, so you have start all over... Currently I cover the remote when pressing Net to prevent the receiver to react on it. Then it works fine.
This really has to be fixed in the next firmware...
post #473 of 5489 Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 AM

I'm a bit bummed, I was all exciting to finally upgrade my old (trusty) Onkyo TX-DS747 with a bright and shiny TX-NR807....but I get no HDMI video

I can't get HDMI video to display on my Samsung LN46A650. I've tried HDMI ports 1,3,4 on the TV, I've tried every setting for the monitor out dealing with HDMI, I've tried enabling/disabling Anynet+ on the TV, Disabling/enabling HDMI control on the receiver...Nothing..

While I could go back to hooking up my HDMI sources directly to the TV (PS3, DVD) I did want to use the video upconverting to HDMI

I just end an email to Onkyo Support, and plan on calling in a few hours when the support center opens...

Any suggestions?
post #474 of 5489 Old 09-19-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuneVitki View Post

I'm a bit bummed, I was all exciting to finally upgrade my old (trusty) Onkyo TX-DS747 with a bright and shiny TX-NR807....but I get no HDMI video

I can't get HDMI video to display on my Samsung LN46A650. I've tried HDMI ports 1,3,4 on the TV, I've tried every setting for the monitor out dealing with HDMI, I've tried enabling/disabling Anynet+ on the TV, Disabling/enabling HDMI control on the receiver...Nothing..

While I could go back to hooking up my HDMI sources directly to the TV (PS3, DVD) I did want to use the video upconverting to HDMI

I just end an email to Onkyo Support, and plan on calling in a few hours when the support center opens...

Any suggestions?

do you have monitor out set to hdmi?
post #475 of 5489 Old 09-19-2009, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

do you have monitor out set to hdmi?

Bingo... Or OSD Immediate set to on...

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #476 of 5489 Old 09-19-2009, 08:55 AM

Ok, I've gone from looking at the 607 to the 707 now the 807. I'm leaning toward the 807 at this point. I think I'm going to have to build a new video rack. It says it's 17.2" wide and my current (ho-made) rack is exactly 17" wide and just fits.

I think I know the answer to this, but since some of you own the 807, I have to ask for my own piece-of-mind... Is it worth the extra $ to go to the 807. It's only $50 more than the 707 on newegg. (But then I'll have to buy that network adapter me thinks...)

Oh yeah, one more question, is anyone using a wireless adapter for networking for the 807? I understand Onkyo sells one, but I can't find it on their site.
post #477 of 5489 Old 09-19-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthemma View Post

Ok, I've gone from looking at the 607 to the 707 now the 807. I'm leaning toward the 807 at this point. I think I'm going to have to build a new video rack. It says it's 17.2" wide and my current (ho-made) rack is exactly 17" wide and just fits.

I think I know the answer to this, but since some of you own the 807, I have to ask for my own piece-of-mind... Is it worth the extra $ to go to the 807. It's only $50 more than the 707 on newegg. (But then I'll have to buy that network adapter me thinks...)

Oh yeah, one more question, is anyone using a wireless adapter for networking for the 807? I understand Onkyo sells one, but I can't find it on their site.

no
post #478 of 5489 Old 09-19-2009, 09:44 AM
SVM

I would go for 807 if you have the $$, the networking feature for firmware upgrade, able to play songs from your PC etc and then the 135 Watt, it all adds up to be a good value. The unit is built heavy indicating good platform.
post #479 of 5489 Old 09-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthemma View Post

It really depends on your priorities, network receivers are absolutely great, I didn't realize how much I enjoyed internet radio and internet firmware upgrades until I purchased a 3808ci now I would never go back to not having it. To me network alone is worth $50 especially if you had to go through the hassle of upgrading an 805, shipping to an authorized center almost cost that much and that only covers one upgrade. Also if you want to enhance your listening experience the 807 has DSX and the 707 on has PLz(as does 807), with the 807 you can easily switch between wides, heights or 7.1.
Bottom line is that these 2 differences are to some consumers worth much more than $50 to others not. FWIW why would one want to buy a new receiver if they only plan to use the same features as they already have, of course this is my opinion and I'm sure others feel that their position is equally valid (just different strokes for different folks) if your have the extra $50 then buy the 807....
post #480 of 5489 Old 09-19-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

It really depends on your priorities, network receivers are absolutely great, I didn't realize how much I enjoyed internet radio and internet firmware upgrades until I purchased a 3808ci now I would never go back to not having it. To me network alone is worth $50 especially if you had to go through the hassle of upgrading an 805, shipping to an authorized center almost cost that much and that only covers one upgrade. Also if you want to enhance your listening experience the 807 has DSX and the 707 on has PLz(as does 807), with the 807 you can easily switch between wides, heights or 7.1.
Bottom line is that these 2 differences are to some consumers worth much more than $50 to others not. FWIW why would one want to buy a new receiver if they only plan to use the same features as they already have, of course this is my opinion and I'm sure others feel that their position is equally valid (just different strokes for different folks) if your have the extra $50 then buy the 807....

I couldn't agree with you more. I'll pay the extra money just to be able to update the firmware over the Internet regardless of anything else.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page