post #5011 of 5482 Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

A quick question to owners of the 807. Just today I noticed the front lcd screen go blank for the first time during operation. The display reappears when adjusting the volume, or changing to a different input (in other words, the display shows up properly) but the screen goes blank a few seconds after it is left alone again. I've never noticed it do this before, ever. The unit is working fine otherwise. I'm just concerned that this might be a sign that my 807 is on the way out. Anyone else have the same situation?

Do you have the receiver in Pure Audio mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5012 of 5482 Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My 807 just got fixed with a new HDMI board. We'll see how long it lasts. I wonder if it's a re-engineered board that will solve the problems for good.
post #5013 of 5482 Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my repaired unit back today. Took three weeks for them to get the board and repair it.

I've also cut my cabinet and installed a few fans to keep things cool in there. I don't have a fancy cabinet specifically made for this type of equipment (it had to be the one the wife liked ) so I had to cut through the back and expand the depth in order to have enough room to mount the exhaust fans and fit all the cables. I also added some extra holes on the sides and under the shelve where the NR807 sits to hopefully create some air flow with the fan that is sitting on top of the unit.

post #5014 of 5482 Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM

Liked: 12
Ive had fans on my onkyo since the 2nd time i used it, first time i could have cooked an egg on it, but my board still pooched (just happened a 2nd time,(audio cut out)), so i guess ill be making the call to have it get replaced under warranty. But for some reason, when i was watching a BD tonight, on my screen i had it go all liney? like a dirty disc, but the disc is brand new out of the case. The BD player has never done this before, i had to keep stopping it, and take the disc out and resume playback, and it would be fine for about another 30 min. Had to do this twice in 1 movie. After the movie, i thought id play a quick game, turned my onkyo back on, bam no audio. But has anyone else had issue with video from it? I thought it was my BD player, but after the audio cut out, i realized its prob. just the HDMI board acting up. anyone have this happen? I dont want to find out my BD player needs to go into warranty also lol
post #5015 of 5482 Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 PM

Just got off the phone with BB, taking it in tomorrow, so i guess ill see what they will do, But now im thinking of selling it when i get it back and jumping ship to something else.... what else is everyone doing?
post #5016 of 5482 Old 02-23-2012, 03:16 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post

Just got off the phone with BB, taking it in tomorrow, so i guess ill see what they will do, But now im thinking of selling it when i get it back and jumping ship to something else.... what else is everyone doing?

I wouldn't blame you for jumpimg ship. I had a 3007 and a 807 give me trouble in the same week but I love the Onkyo feature set. Call me crazy but I just went out and bought a 709 as a "backup"!
post #5017 of 5482 Old 02-23-2012, 04:15 AM

i love my onkyo, its been great, i really like the looks of the newer ones. But i want reliability also in my unit.
post #5018 of 5482 Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 AM

Update:

It's been about a month since I put my 807 back into service with a new HDMI board courtesy Onkyo warranty repair. To date, the unit has performed as it should.

I had strongly considered selling the 807 once I got it back and buying a Marantz SR7005 or the newer model (don't remember now what it was). Like a previous poster, I was reluctant to sell a unit I don't have a high degree of faith in doing a good job for whomever bought it.

At present I'm more interested in buying an airplane, so I'll continue using the 807 until it quits again. Hopefully it'll last another 22 months before that happens.

I am confused by those who've spent more money with Onkyo on the 809 model after experiencing firsthand how unreliable Onkyo's products are. I guess I subscribe to the "fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me" theory.
post #5019 of 5482 Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 AM
jrs

I was having some hdmi issues with my new board, so I sent it back to United Radio.

The unit apparently started behaving itself, and they saw no problems with it (even after two weeks of "extended bench testing") so they are sending it back.

They did explain the persistent "clicking" sounds that I am getting- it is a relay to switch between power supplies (or something like that). When the unit needs more juice, it clicks, and when it needs less, it clicks back. My problem is that the power threshold with my setup is right where we normally listen, so it goes /\\/\\/\\/\\/\\ for us, switching back and forth.
post #5020 of 5482 Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post

I was having some hdmi issues with my new board, so I sent it back to United Radio.

The unit apparently started behaving itself, and they saw no problems with it (even after two weeks of "extended bench testing") so they are sending it back.

This would have me worried and I'll bet you are too?

Quote:

They did explain the persistent "clicking" sounds that I am getting- it is a relay to switch between power supplies (or something like that). When the unit needs more juice, it clicks, and when it needs less, it clicks back. My problem is that the power threshold with my setup is right where we normally listen, so it goes /\\/\\/\\/\\/\\ for us, switching back and forth.

This doesn't seem right, switching between power supplies? I wasn't even aware these units did anything like this, I highly doubt there is a relay to switch power supplies based on audio amplifier draw...

Did they write the explanation of this on the work order?

Al
post #5021 of 5482 Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM

Well after speaking with Onkyo, they asked that I send a detailed email with my issues and a copy of the receipt. 4 days later they wrote back and said they agreed to cover the unit under warranty, I just had to ship it to United Radio. My warranty expired 4 months ago, so I'm happy they are honoring the warranty anyways at this point.

I shipped it Wednesday and it was delivered this morning. About how long has United Radio been taking for others? That's my fear (as stated above), they'll say it's fine. In the days I was waiting for their response I was getting it to work sporadically, by turning it on a few hours before I wanted to wacth tv, then switching off/on and it seemed to work, as if something was warming up (maybe HDMI board?). Anyways I hope they don't just let it warm up for 2 hours and say it's fine, but fingers crossed they'll fix it. The screen on the front display is also "hazy" which seems odd.

Good luck to us all that these aren't band-aid fixes that only last 3 months.....but the fact that they seem to be covering units out of warranty may signal their acknowledgement of an issue even if only symbolic, without having to issue an official recall.
post #5022 of 5482 Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM

I'm just adding my voice to the list of folks who's TX-NR807's sound died. It happened around 2 years 2 months after i purchased it so outside of the warranty period. Initially the problem was when i would turn it on, there would be no sound regardless of input. I realized after some fiddling that if I left it on for 5-10 minutes and power cycled it, i'd hear the familiar click and the sound would come on. After a few weeks of that and it getting worse (took longer and more power cycles) it eventually stopped working altogether. Upgrading firmware and doing a factory reset didn't help.

The good news is Onkyo granted me a one time warranty to get it repaired so i'm shipping it in. The bad news is like many of you I expect stereo electronics to LAST. Sadly this is my first expensive (at least to me) receiver and my experience has been anything but. I'm not confident that after they fix it it wont break again in 2 years. Uhg..

gerald
post #5023 of 5482 Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 AM

Well my 807 got there last Friday and I just got an email stating my service is completed. Not sure if they replaced the HDMI board, but the description says "diagnosed and replaced malfunctioning integrated circuit on digital signal processing board"

So it's on it's way will update if it's fixed....fingers crossed.
post #5024 of 5482 Old 03-01-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggard420 View Post

Well my 807 got there last Friday and I just got an email stating my service is completed. Not sure if they replaced the HDMI board, but the description says "diagnosed and replaced malfunctioning integrated circuit on digital signal processing board"

So it's on it's way will update if it's fixed....fingers crossed.

that was fast!
post #5025 of 5482 Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

I guess I would just request some more info from the guy.... where does he get the boards from? What does he do to them to fix them? and so on....
And a 3 day warranty is weak even by Ebay standards.....

I sent the guy a message about a month ago asking him what he typically did to refurbish these boards and he just blew me off. At this point I don't trust the guy, especially with the way he has been progressively jacking up his prices.
post #5026 of 5482 Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECJ View Post

I sent the guy a message about a month ago asking him what he typically did to refurbish these boards and he just blew me off. At this point I don't trust the guy, especially with the way he has been progressively jacking up his prices.

Well It would. E
post #5027 of 5482 Old 03-02-2012, 06:00 AM

Well, my 807 unit broke again. Same issue. No sound. No Speaker Icons & Network is grayed out. This was after they replaced the HDMI board and I picked it up on 1/9/2012.

I'm going to call Onkyo and see if I can get a replacement unit. This is a joke...
post #5028 of 5482 Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Good grief that sucks! Who fixed yours? Just got mine back from United Radio today, hooking it back up this afternoon. After all of these repairs one would think they would figure out what the issue really is and just fix it. I was hoping I would find a refurb 809 in the box instead of the unit I sent in lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick00016 View Post

Well, my 807 unit broke again. Same issue. No sound. No Speaker Icons & Network is grayed out. This was after they replaced the HDMI board and I picked it up on 1/9/2012.

I'm going to call Onkyo and see if I can get a replacement unit. This is a joke...

post #5029 of 5482 Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
They're not interested in "fixing" anything...all they want to do is get you far enough outside your warranty, so they have deniability

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #5030 of 5482 Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Good grief that sucks! Who fixed yours? Just got mine back from United Radio today, hooking it back up this afternoon. After all of these repairs one would think they would figure out what the issue really is and just fix it. I was hoping I would find a refurb 809 in the box instead of the unit I sent in lol

ABL Service in Madison Heights, MI. Fortunately its local, so I dropped it off at lunch. The guy at ABL was cool and said they'll diagnose it again and then call me when they confirm the problem (I'll bet my left nut that its the HDMI board again).

Once I actually confirm its the HDMI board, I'll call Onkyo support again and plead my case for an 809 as a replacement as I only have a month left on the original warranty. The guy at ABL told me that its Onkyo's call on whether they'll replace the unit or tell them to do the same fix again, but Onkyo told me this morning that it typically it has to fail 3 times before they'll replace the unit.
post #5031 of 5482 Old 03-03-2012, 06:17 AM

Good luck to those still working to find resolution for their issues.
post #5032 of 5482 Old 03-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick00016 View Post

ABL Service in Madison Heights, MI. Fortunately its local, so I dropped it off at lunch. The guy at ABL was cool and said they'll diagnose it again and then call me when they confirm the problem (I'll bet my left nut that its the HDMI board again).

Once I actually confirm its the HDMI board, I'll call Onkyo support again and plead my case for an 809 as a replacement as I only have a month left on the original warranty. The guy at ABL told me that its Onkyo's call on whether they'll replace the unit or tell them to do the same fix again, but Onkyo told me this morning that it typically it has to fail 3 times before they'll replace the unit.

Good luck, you should get a replacement at this point I would hope. My fix was out of warranty (though they agreed to cover it), so if it's going to fail again I hope it does so sooner than later.

Seems to be all good, although since I got it back I it seems I have the volume higher at normal tv watching volume than before (maybe 10 db difference). But who knows, perhaps Audyssey was off as well. Listened to some music today at ref level (or 0db maybe not really ref level), but all was good and it sounded good. Was still warm, but it seems like it got hotter when there was no sound at all right above the HDMI board.

Was there always a fan inside? Perhaps there was but I never noticed it and noticed it through the top vents when I was hooking it back up. May add a computer fan to draw heat off, though it's not enclosed so I would think it has enough ventilation (or it should).

Good luck!
post #5033 of 5482 Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Good luck, you should get a replacement at this point I would hope. My fix was out of warranty (though they agreed to cover it), so if it's going to fail again I hope it does so sooner than later.

Seems to be all good, although since I got it back I it seems I have the volume higher at normal tv watching volume than before (maybe 10 db difference). But who knows, perhaps Audyssey was off as well. Listened to some music today at ref level (or 0db maybe not really ref level), but all was good and it sounded good. Was still warm, but it seems like it got hotter when there was no sound at all right above the HDMI board.

Was there always a fan inside? Perhaps there was but I never noticed it and noticed it through the top vents when I was hooking it back up. May add a computer fan to draw heat off, though it's not enclosed so I would think it has enough ventilation (or it should).

Good luck!

Yes the fan is stock.

My 180 is still kicking since being reflowed in December. I added some PC fans powered off of the USB port on my dvr. Now that I see Onkyo has replaced some units out of warranty, I am torn between leaving the fans or running with a little less air for a while as a stress test...
post #5034 of 5482 Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 AM

After playing GT5 and watching tv all night it was super hot again. Way hotter than when I was blasting music. DTS and DD sources must really generate the heat on that board so I may need to add the fan being out of warranty. I think it even warmed up my room which it definitely did not used to do.

Also my PS3 is set to bitsteam audio but the receiver no longer says DTS on the screen with GT5 it just says Multichannel, as if it's set to linear PCM which it isn't. I'm going to experiment more but I'm beginning to think the integrated circuit they replaced was a DTS chip that's what some have had luck reflowing on 707s and other models.
post #5035 of 5482 Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 265
well guys after going thru my amex claim ,they checked the cost of fixing my 807 hdmi board and guess what they wrote me a check for 540$ .will i fix it ? probably not ,i'll put that money towards a new one especially after hearing that ,so many of you guys reporting
the no sound problem coming back .i don't know if i would gamble that money on fixing it,now would i buy the 809 ? love the onkyo sound but i'm researching pioneer elite or just pioneer with preouts and then get an emotiva xpa 3 or 5.onkyo is a great receiver but i am afraid of it's reliability,at least i'll always buy my equipment on a credit card that way i have the extended warranty thru visa or amex wich are awsome.any thaoughts on other similar units ?
post #5036 of 5482 Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 AM
jrs

Quote:

So my saga continues- I thought that I was going to be getting the unit back, like, last week.

Yesterday I got a call from united radio, basically saying- "...the techs were able to reproduce the problem, so we ordered a new HDMI board, but when it arrived it was defective also, so we ordered another one"...

Whoa there- all you were supposed to do was confirm to Onkyo that it was still bad, so they could send a replacement unit...

I talked with Bob Elder @ Onkyo- he has been a tremendous help, so hopefully I will get a replacement soon...
post #5037 of 5482 Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 AM

My 807 has been getting flakier with the whole sound bug. Two weeks ago it lost all sound and the Network connection failed. Mine has gone back to GenServe (UK) who could not replicate the loss of audio (although I had been without for nearly a week), but had no network, so they have ordered me a new HDMI board. I await to see if this sorts out the problem and how long the repair is warrantied for as I only had 4 months left on my existing warranty. I dont fancy having to pay for a repair. GenServe did say that although it isn't a common fault, it is a fault known to them - make of that waht you will!
post #5038 of 5482 Old 03-07-2012, 06:26 PM

Well I got it back last Friday, and tonight went into setup to make some changes and Remote Controller Setup is grayed out and of course Network and Firmware Update are grayed out as well. Wow I thought it would last longer than this...good grief...not sure how many times I want to pay $40 shipping this thing back to NY over and over...WTF? Back on the phone tomorrow I suppose....
post #5039 of 5482 Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Unfortunately my 807 started acting up on my a couple weeks ago. Now, I need to turn it on and warm up, between 30 minutes and 1 hour, before I can get sound to play through when watching tv.

Also unfortunate, I purchased the unit in December of 2009. I just e-mailed onkyo support in hopes they'll cover the repairs since this is an obvious defect, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

:sigh:
post #5040 of 5482 Old 03-08-2012, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

I've got the HT-180 and am having issues with DLNA.

I am trying to use software from my HTPC to stream music to my receiver and it's flaky at best. I am using J. River Media Center v17 if anyone is curious. I've gotten it to work from time to time so I think all my settings are correct.

However, I don't really know where I am supposed to navigate to in the Onkyo for it to recognize DLNA. Do I just press the net button on the receiver and let it sit there on the menu where I can either select Pandora or vTuner Internet Radio? Do I navigate into one of these? Does it even matter? I can't seem to get this thing to work as desired.

Please help!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page