Onkyo TX-NR807 Official Thread - Page 169 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5041 of 5482 Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, and a second question... is it possible for my receiver to pass video from one input to my display and audio from a different source? It would be great if I could pass video from my Xbox 360 (which also doubles as my TV box via AT&T U-Verse) while listening to streamed music via DLNA or audio from some other device.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5482 Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick00016 View Post

Well, my 807 unit broke again. Same issue. No sound. No Speaker Icons & Network is grayed out. This was after they replaced the HDMI board and I picked it up on 1/9/2012.

I'm going to call Onkyo and see if I can get a replacement unit. This is a joke...

I followed up with ABL today. Once again, the diagnosis was that the HDMI board has failed again. Onkyo chose to replace the board again (rather than send me a replacement receiver). New HDMI Board will be in by March 13th (supposedly) and I should be able to pick it up within a couple of days afterwards.

I'll post after I pick it up, but I have little to no confidence that this going to correct the problem and my warranty expires on April 5, 2012 (I have the Amex warranty for another year though, so I do have some sort of a backup).
post #5043 of 5482 Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM

Liked: 12
Count me in for the no sound , network connection grayed out. All happened 2 months after warranty. Very disappointing. I simply bought a Pioneer SC 57 to replace the Onkyo. Too bad I really liked the Onkyo. My first Onkyo lasted 10 years and only a lightning strike on the house could kill it. Now this,, very sad for Onkyo and its fans. No more for me.
post #5044 of 5482 Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 PM
jrs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc53 View Post

Count me in for the no sound , network connection grayed out. All happened 2 months after warranty. Very disappointing. I simply bought a Pioneer SC 57 to replace the Onkyo. Too bad I really liked the Onkyo. My first Onkyo lasted 10 years and only a lightning strike on the house could kill it. Now this,, very sad for Onkyo and its fans. No more for me.

Try giving onkyo a call, they might service it still...
post #5045 of 5482 Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post

Try giving onkyo a call, they might service it still...

yep, I am planning to. I may also have an extended warranty under my credit card but I also read about multiple failure so I will not trust the repair. If they fix it and it works it will go to my son.
post #5046 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

I followed up with ABL today. Once again, the diagnosis was that the HDMI board has failed again. Onkyo chose to replace the board again (rather than send me a replacement receiver). New HDMI Board will be in by March 13th (supposedly) and I should be able to pick it up within a couple of days afterwards.

I'll post after I pick it up, but I have little to no confidence that this going to correct the problem and my warranty expires on April 5, 2012 (I have the Amex warranty for another year though, so I do have some sort of a backup).

I realize it is difficult just to even get through on the phone to Onkyo, but I would not accept another board replacement! Demand to talk to a supervisor or someone, and request a new receiver based on the ridiculous amount of these board problems. I would ask how in the world you are supposed to trust that yet another board will fix it! I would also talk to your rep at ABL, because they are looking bad in this scenario also... You and others are spending good money shipping these receivers to service centers. At the very least on a second failure occurrence of the exact same problem, they should also be compensating you for shipping.
post #5047 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 AM
jrs

I only paid for shipping once, the first time. They sent me labels the other times...
post #5048 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc53 View Post

yep, I am planning to. I may also have an extended warranty under my credit card but I also read about multiple failure so I will not trust the repair. If they fix it and it works it will go to my son.

I would fall back directly on your Amex...get the replacement you deserve...(of your choice). Don't be reliant on onkyo for anything.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #5049 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I know that none of this is a laughing matter, these HDMI problem affect all of the x007 models it would seem.

I also know that there are literally thousands of these out there and that it is usually on the problems we hear about (my 3007 has been flawless so far), so I have to wonder what the actual percentage of failures is?

It must be a low percentage, without guessing is there a way to find out?

Al
post #5050 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 AM

This subject has been discussed over and over again in this thread. The trouble is, those who don't have any problems rarely post on these types of threads, so even conducting a poll is always going to be lopsided in favor of those having problems.

Assuming they even keep and track such information, Onkyo would probably be the only reliable source for knowing how many x007 models have been produced/distributed/sold versus how many customer complaints/repairs/replacements have occurred. However, Onkyo (as with most other manufacturers) would never publish or otherwise publicly share that information for obvious reasons.
post #5051 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM

I just turned on my unit and guess what sports fans,no sound and no speaker iconsNetwork and firmware upgrade greyed out.
My board was resoldered on January 9th.
On the phone we go for a 45 miute wait and and hopefully a replacement unit but probably another solder job or board replace neither of which will solve anything.
I know they are not doing anything in terms of r&d on the boards just providing a band aid fix till our waranties expire.
NO MORE ONKYO FOR ME AFTER ALL POSSIBILTIES ARE EXHAUSTED.
Hey Onkyo,not that it matters to you but you just lost another customer.
post #5052 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny thing is...they don't care about that either...

post #5053 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Yeah, it's a rather strange time we live in.

Once upon a time (I'm definitely dating myself here), companies cared about their reputation and the quality of their products and the customer was always right. Now it's turn out shoddy items with no reliability, take their money & screw the customer, and who cares about reputation (as there's always a new sucker to keep buying their crap).

Is it happy hour yet?
post #5054 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECJ View Post

Yeah, it's a rather strange time we live in.

Once upon a time (I'm definitely dating myself here), companies cared about their reputation and the quality of their products and the customer was always right. Now it's turn out shoddy items with no reliability, take their money & screw the customer, and who cares about reputation (as there's always a new sucker to keep buying their crap).

Is it happy hour yet?

It's also ironic that, back when they cared, information wasn't nearly as accessible as it is today! When companies cared about their reputation, they didn't want people complaining to their neighbors, now you can complain to millions of people, worldwide no less, and they care even less....strange.
post #5055 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

I've got the HT-180 and am having issues with DLNA.

I am trying to use software from my HTPC to stream music to my receiver and it's flaky at best. I am using J. River Media Center v17 if anyone is curious. I've gotten it to work from time to time so I think all my settings are correct.

However, I don't really know where I am supposed to navigate to in the Onkyo for it to recognize DLNA. Do I just press the net button on the receiver and let it sit there on the menu where I can either select Pandora or vTuner Internet Radio? Do I navigate into one of these? Does it even matter? I can't seem to get this thing to work as desired.

Please help!

press the "net" button twice to get to the server menu. i'm using t-versity with my ht-rc180, no issues.

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #5056 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post

press the "net" button twice to get to the server menu. i'm using t-versity with my ht-rc180, no issues.

thanks; i could never figure out which menu to navigate to. this appears to be working.
post #5057 of 5482 Old 03-09-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

I realize it is difficult just to even get through on the phone to Onkyo, but I would not accept another board replacement! Demand to talk to a supervisor or someone, and request a new receiver based on the ridiculous amount of these board problems. I would ask how in the world you are supposed to trust that yet another board will fix it! I would also talk to your rep at ABL, because they are looking bad in this scenario also... You and others are spending good money shipping these receivers to service centers. At the very least on a second failure occurrence of the exact same problem, they should also be compensating you for shipping.

ABL is maybe 20 minutes from my house, so I haven't had to incur any shipping costs. But still, that's a total of 80 minutes (4 trips) that I'm going to have to make not to mention the downtime. I'll call Onkyo on Monday and see what I can do about getting a replacement, but didn't seem to have much luck the last time.
post #5058 of 5482 Old 03-10-2012, 10:28 AM

oh no. I just got the no sound and no speaker icons, network and firmware upgrade greyed out issue on my ht-rc180. I have 3 months warranty left. The warranty repair facility here in georgia has the most atrocious online reviews I've read. It seems I should be prepared for them to keep my receiver until the warranty is expired. Any suggestions?
post #5059 of 5482 Old 03-10-2012, 01:38 PM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoth View Post

oh no. I just got the no sound and no speaker icons, network and firmware upgrade greyed out issue on my ht-rc180. I have 3 months warranty left. The warranty repair facility here in georgia has the most atrocious online reviews I've read. It seems I should be prepared for them to keep my receiver until the warranty is expired. Any suggestions?

You don't have to send it to that one, call a different facility...
post #5060 of 5482 Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Liked: 13
Got my 807 back last week with a new HDMI board. I guess I should really use it to see if the repair took.
post #5061 of 5482 Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 AM

I have just ahd GenServe (UK) on the phone to tell me that my 807 has been repaired. Apparantly they tried to repair some Caps on the board, which failed, so it has had to have a new HDMI board. I asked what the warranty on the repair is.. it is 90 days !!! I explained that there appears to be high re-failure rate of the HDMI boards - they disagree. Plus Genserve say they have only had a handful of amps in for repair with this failure and it is not common (remember Genserve are the sole Onkyo repair agents for the UK). I think that I am going to be sending their MD an email with a link to this thread.

Anyway it is due back tomorrow, so we shall see, but the slightest hiccough with this amps performance and it is going straight back.

90 days is the sort of warranty I would expect out of a shonky back street repair, not an international electronics manufacturer. Once again Onkyo major fail.
post #5062 of 5482 Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 AM

United Radio sent me a shipping label to send it back since after 4 days after fix, the menus were greyed out once again. Well I got the label and kept messing with it this weekend, resetting multiple times, and they are finally not greyed out. However being out of warranty, I hate to just wait for it to break, but then again if they get it and turn it on and the menus aren't greyed out I fear they will simply say it's fine. It wasn't fine after 4 days, I should have left it alone, but by the time I got the label it was too late to ship being the weekend and I wanted to re-run Audyssey and watch Moneyball.

So to send back with non greyed out menus or not, that's the question!
post #5063 of 5482 Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggard420 View Post

United Radio sent me a shipping label to send it back since after 4 days after fix, the menus were greyed out once again. Well I got the label and kept messing with it this weekend, resetting multiple times, and they are finally not greyed out. However being out of warranty, I hate to just wait for it to break, but then again if they get it and turn it on and the menus aren't greyed out I fear they will simply say it's fine. It wasn't fine after 4 days, I should have left it alone, but by the time I got the label it was too late to ship being the weekend and I wanted to re-run Audyssey and watch Moneyball.

So to send back with non greyed out menus or not, that's the question!

Send it back... my $0.02

Al
post #5064 of 5482 Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

I know that none of this is a laughing matter, these HDMI problem affect all of the x007 models it would seem.

I also know that there are literally thousands of these out there and that it is usually on the problems we hear about (my 3007 has been flawless so far), so I have to wonder what the actual percentage of failures is?

It must be a low percentage, without guessing is there a way to find out?

It does bother me that all I see on this thread nowadays is dire news, but my HT-RC180 is still going strong. Got it in Jan 2010. I did the first firmware update that fixed the bi-amping issues, and haven't messed with updating the FW since. If it ain't broke.... I imagine if you look at the thread for any product over a year old and no longer for sale, you'll tend to see people discussing the problems with it, rather than how shiny it is, or how many buttons it has like you see in new product threads.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #5065 of 5482 Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's the problem I see with that theory...Most people paid a thousand dollars for a piece of technology, that is supposed to be advanced over everything else available at that time. You don't expect to spend a thousand dollars (or more) every 1.5 to 2 years, on an "entertainment" piece. I would not expect this failure rate at 3, or even 4 years of age. Let alone, within factory warranty, or just out of warranty. The general public should NOT be Onkyo's R&D Department...plain and simple.
David_B likes this.

post #5066 of 5482 Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

... I would not expect this failure rate at 3, or even 4 years of age. Let alone, within factory warranty, or just out of warranty. The general public should NOT be Onkyo's R&D Department...plain and simple.

That is the problem none of us know what the failure rate is. From the posts in this thread it seems like lots of units are failing but that perception may or may not have anything to do with reality. Of course Samsung was just forced to deal with a Capacitor problem from HDTVs they built in 2006-2008 so I am sure if there is broad based problem that Onkyo will try to keep it hidden.
post #5067 of 5482 Old 03-14-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post

That is the problem none of us know what the failure rate is. From the posts in this thread it seems like lots of units are failing but that perception may or may not have anything to do with reality. Of course Samsung was just forced to deal with a Capacitor problem from HDTVs they built in 2006-2008 so I am sure if there is broad based problem that Onkyo will try to keep it hidden.

Thanks for the link to the Samsung issue, in addition to an Onkyo AVR (3007) I also have a Samsung plasma (great BTW ), no issues thus far with either.

There have been many issues with he electrolytic capacitors used in many devices, these capacitors fail over time and cause all sorts of various issues depending on where there are in the circuit. They can be recognizable by a characteristic bulging on their top (if you closely at the link provided you can see the 4 defective caps (bulging) and the 2 above that are fine (flat tops), and as the article mentioned replacing them generally fixes the issue. A few years ago I lost a number of PC motherboards for the same reason, I might even have pictures of the bulging capacitors.

I believe that some of the HDMI issues in the Onkyo HDMI boards are caused by this same problem, replacing the board may be the recommended fix and when they mention the 're-solder fix' I think they may not be telling the customer that they have replaced faulty capacitors.

Al
post #5068 of 5482 Old 03-17-2012, 12:51 PM

just got back from picking my unit up from bb, they had it for 3 weeks to fix the hdmi board. When i got there she said they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it, when i told her to write down on the invoice, HDMI board needs to be replaced :@, not to happy with them. So i guess they want me to wait until its completely toast
post #5069 of 5482 Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Well, my 807 unit broke again. Same issue. No sound. No Speaker Icons & Network is grayed out. This was after they replaced the HDMI board and I picked it up on 1/9/2012.

Just picked up the replacement on 3/15/2012. Shocking - "Traced problem to and replaced HDMI board to restore proper operation".

I've got it back hooked up and its working fine (for now). Really hating how I have to go through and re-do the settings and re-calibrate every single time. Between taking it in, picking it up, and setting it up, I've probably wasted at least 8 hours on this unit. Technically my warranty expires on 3/26/2012, but I get another 90 days of warranty coverage according to Onkyo from the date of the last repair. If it goes again in the next 90 days, I'll be hammering them for a replacement unit.

Although I'd be content if it I didn't have any further problems as I don't have any complaints with the unit when functioning properly, at least I know that if it goes again in the next year, at minimum I'll be able to get the check from Amex to put towards a new AVR to serve as my pre-amp. I'm definitely done with Onkyo though - I'll go back to Denon for AVR's from now on.
post #5070 of 5482 Old 03-18-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Just picked up the replacement on 3/15/2012. Shocking - "Traced problem to and replaced HDMI board to restore proper operation".

I've got it back hooked up and its working fine (for now). Really hating how I have to go through and re-do the settings and re-calibrate every single time. Between taking it in, picking it up, and setting it up, I've probably wasted at least 8 hours on this unit. Technically my warranty expires on 3/26/2012, but I get another 90 days of warranty coverage according to Onkyo from the date of the last repair. If it goes again in the next 90 days, I'll be hammering them for a replacement unit.

Although I'd be content if it I didn't have any further problems as I don't have any complaints with the unit when functioning properly, at least I know that if it goes again in the next year, at minimum I'll be able to get the check from Amex to put towards a new AVR to serve as my pre-amp. I'm definitely done with Onkyo though - I'll go back to Denon for AVR's from now on.

I am going to do the same.Once my unit is returned its going up for sale and a denon 4311 will be sitting in its place.
No more Onkyo in this house.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page