Onkyo TX-NR807 Official Thread - Page 170 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5071 of 5482 Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Called ABL today to check status of unit,new hdmi boardon order should be in on the 21st of this month.
If they haven't rectified the problem with the board itself why even bother putting another one in?
Its going to fail just like the rest of them.
And the saga continues.
Can you spell class action suit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 5482 Old 03-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post

Can you spell class action suit?

Don't bother with a "class action suit" if you all win, all you get is a $10 off coupon for your next onkyo avr. But the lawers get rich..
Personal lawsuit is the way to go, besure to wear a neck brace
post #5073 of 5482 Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 PM

Liked: 10
Oh come on now, I think you're being far too cynical and unfair to the hard working class action lawyers. I am sure we would get at least a $12 off coupon towards our next Onkyo AVR purchase.
post #5074 of 5482 Old 03-20-2012, 11:23 PM

I would settle for a 100.00 dollar coupon towards a Denon 4311!
post #5075 of 5482 Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post

That is the problem none of us know what the failure rate is. From the posts in this thread it seems like lots of units are failing but that perception may or may not have anything to do with reality. Of course Samsung was just forced to deal with a Capacitor problem from HDTVs they built in 2006-2008 so I am sure if there is broad based problem that Onkyo will try to keep it hidden.

wow, cool. found this post by dumb luck, and it applies to me. filled out the paperwork and i look forward to getting a $180 check!
post #5076 of 5482 Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I would settle for a 100.00 dollar coupon towards a Denon 4311!

This does look like a great AVR, but I worry that as it cam out over a year ago there may be a replacement in the pipe... oh the upgrade challanges!

Al
post #5077 of 5482 Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

This does look like a great AVR, but I worry that as it cam out over a year ago there may be a replacement in the pipe... oh the upgrade challanges!

there will always be a replacement in the pipe. the higher end denons don't appear to be getting an update this spring though... at least in part due to the earthquake in japan. and as others have noted here... what exactly is there to add? spotify streaming? the 4311 is already pretty well technologically loaded. i can't imagine any features being added to an AVR in the next 6 to 12 months in the 4311's price range that the 4311 doesn't already have that is going to be an "OMG, gotta have it" selling point.
post #5078 of 5482 Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

True to a certain extent, that is until they release that new model with the features you have always wanted at the "OMG, gotta have it" selling point...

For me the 11.2 operation would be desirable, but I won't leap until the room is ready as I have done that all too many times aready!

Al
post #5079 of 5482 Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

True to a certain extent, that is until they release that new model with the features you have always wanted at the "OMG, gotta have it" selling point...

For me the 11.2 operation would be desirable, but I won't leap until the room is ready as I have done that all too many times aready!

just curious... what material do you have that uses an 11.2 sound format?
post #5080 of 5482 Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

just curious... what material do you have that uses an 11.2 sound format?

No natively recorded material of course, it is derived information provided by Audyssey DSX. The Denon 4311ci is capable of this although requires 2 additional channels of amplification.

Al
post #5081 of 5482 Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Its bad enough that my units been in for repair twice.
Unit went in on the 9th of this month.
Called abl yesterday to find out disposition.
They shipped on the 22nd,arrived at electrasound on the 23rd.
Electtrasound is the local place here in town that distributes the unit to Michigan for whatever reason.
I called electrasound yesterday and they said unit had not arrived yet.
I called abl today and got tracking number,and it showed unit had arrived here on the 23rd
I called electrasound today and they said it still wasn't there and the csp seemed perturbed that I had called two days in a row.
I called abl AGAIN and they confirmed the unit shipped on the 22nd and arrived here on the 23rd.
I called ELECTRODUMMIES again and after a 20 minute wait,Lo and behold the unit mysteriously turned up.
I was fed some really immature bull@#$% about what went wrong but was offered no apologies for there lousy attitude even though they were dead wrong.
And the saga continues.
Sorry about the rant,but does anybody know or care about what they do anymore?
post #5082 of 5482 Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 AM
jrs

Quote:

Electtrasound is the local place here in town that distributes the unit to Michigan for whatever reason.
I called abl today and got tracking number,and it showed unit had arrived here on the 23rd
I called electrasound today and they said it still wasn't there and the csp seemed perturbed that I had called two days in a row.
I called abl AGAIN and they confirmed the unit shipped on the 22nd and arrived here on the 23rd.
I called ELECTRODUMMIES again and after a 20 minute wait,Lo and behold the unit mysteriously turned up.
I was fed some really immature bull@#$% about what went wrong but was offered no apologies for there lousy attitude even though they were dead wrong.
And the saga continues.

I feel your pain. I dropped my 807 off at UPS February 6th (yes, February). Onkyo is supposedly sending me a replacement 809, but I have yet to get a tracking number. I should call them...
post #5083 of 5482 Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:

And the saga continues.

Wow that's crazy. I started watching this thread back in November when my Onkyo device's sound/network died completely. I'm in Ohio and I had to go through ABL as well. It didn't take them very long though to get it repaired. Probably a week or so. My warranty on my Onkyo went out in January. So I was relieved that I had a month left of my warranty. I figured they would be able to repair it and get the firmware updated and I wouldn't have this problem again. Low and behold just this Saturday I turned on my device and my sound and network didn't work. Now that it is 3 months out of warranty and 3 weeks past ABL's 90 day warranty I have to hope for an extension. I called Onkyo 2 times yesterday and I got the same guy answering the phone. He told me I needed to email him my receipt and they would make a decision. Personally if they don't give me the extension, I will never buy an Onkyo device again. It's bad enough I have to pay for a 50 dollar shipping fee to pay for a device that is going to break 4 months later. I am going to try and get a refurbished one instead of sending it to get repaired.
post #5084 of 5482 Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:

does anybody know or care about what they do anymore?

Welcome to the world as we currently know it. And as for your specific question ... the answer is unfortunately "No"
post #5085 of 5482 Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post

That is the problem none of us know what the failure rate is. From the posts in this thread it seems like lots of units are failing but that perception may or may not have anything to do with reality. Of course Samsung was just forced to deal with a Capacitor problem from HDTVs they built in 2006-2008 so I am sure if there is broad based problem that Onkyo will try to keep it hidden.

So, I just got back from warranty repair place. When I first dropped it off, I said it seemed like my problem was the HDMI board that others seem to have. The guy there said that is what has been failing on most receivers they get. They do warranty service for almost every brand.
post #5086 of 5482 Old 03-29-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 13
I guess they had the new HDMI boards in stock so they repaired my 807 instead of replacing it. It seems to run cooler now, though.
post #5087 of 5482 Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 AM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlman View Post

My warranty on my Onkyo went out in January....

If you used a credit card for the purchase, check to see if the credit card company extends the standard warranty. Several people here have had luck with Amex, and I know the visa that I normally use extends one year, also...
post #5088 of 5482 Old 04-04-2012, 12:47 PM

For a long time I used surr bak/zone 2 speaker connections to play speakers on my patio. To play them I use all channel stereo. Recently I figured out how to activate / use Zone 2.

That worked for about 3 times. Now all the sudden I get no sound, not even using my old method by selecting soundfield all channel stereo.

I've tested with different speakers and get same results.

Any ideas of things to try? Or is this a known problem.

Thanks,
John
post #5089 of 5482 Old 04-04-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Hello,

I need to troubleshoot my Audyssey calibration problems with HT-RC180 receiver.
I am looking for the owners in Chicago area willing to try my microphone with their AVR. If my mic is okay then it must be my receiver that is at fault .

thank you in advance

gene
post #5090 of 5482 Old 04-07-2012, 06:14 AM

My 807 developed the dreaded "No sound, no speaker icons" problem about 75 days past the end of warranty period.
I sent it off to my dealer and they shipped it to a certified repair center. Now after 3 weeks the 807 is back, they replaced the HDMI board. Costs: 556 euros (about 700 dollars)!! My dealer reported me that they together with Onkyo would take care of the main part of the bill; my contribution is 63 euros for having the repaired unit returned. So in total with the initial shipping costs to my dealer I paid 85 euros, about 110 dollars. It's a bummer the XX7 series has this design flaw causing the HDMI board to fail, but I am quite satisfied the way my dealer had my unit repaired at a fair fee since the 45 days grace period had already ended .
post #5091 of 5482 Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 AM

Well,its been two weeks since I got my receiver back from repair.
Repair #2.
They replaced the board this time.
All my settings were still the same.I re-ran audessey anyway.
Unit sounds much better this time around,mains seem to be much more involved.My room must be pretty consistent because the new settings were very close to the old ones.
I hope the repair lasts but I do so with bated breath.
post #5092 of 5482 Old 04-07-2012, 04:08 PM

I hope it a very good news to people who own the 807!
I have a 807 for just over 2 years. one day I turn on with no sound, no network!
I have tried to reset the amp many many times. Eventhough I can have the sound and network back, but it disappears again after I turn it off for a little while!
However, it doesn't make sense that I have to rest the amp a million times before I can use it for one time!
One day, before I have decided to send out for repair. I keep trying to press the combination of keys and hope I can find some undocument way to fix the amp.
Hey, I find it! I press the ON button with the CD button(sorry I don't know exact button sequence) the display will ask you all kinds of test of speakers. after i try all the test, I press the CD button again to quite the test. You know what? I works again and its been a week now! I hope it is the fix and it can help! At least I know how to fix it and I don't have to send it out until the test not even working.
I hope someone can find out more detail of this test too.
post #5093 of 5482 Old 04-07-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadigi View Post

i hope it a very good news to people who own the 807!
i have a 807 for just over 2 years. One day i turn on with no sound, no network!
I have tried to reset the amp many many times. Eventhough i can have the sound and network back, but it disappears again after i turn it off for a little while!
However, it doesn't make sense that i have to rest the amp a million times before i can use it for one time!
One day, before i have decided to send out for repair. I keep trying to press the combination of keys and hope i can find some undocument way to fix the amp.
Hey, i find it! I press the on button with the cd button(sorry i don't know exact button sequence) the display will ask you all kinds of test of speakers. After i try all the test, i press the cd button again to quite the test. You know what? I works again and its been a week now! I hope it is the fix and it can help! At least i know how to fix it and i don't have to send it out until the test not even working.
I hope someone can find out more detail of this test too.

huh?
post #5094 of 5482 Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

huh?

Does anyone try that?
I have it for 2 weeks now, still running.
post #5095 of 5482 Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 265
anadigi , the reason why nobody replied is because we did not understand a single word man .with all due respect ,could you please go over step by step what exactly you are pressing to make your 807 come out of the no sound issue.thankx
cheers
post #5096 of 5482 Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 AM

Well for starters - I had the same problem with no speakers icons on display along with grayed-out network and update on setup menu. It started after 2 years of use. At first it was easy to fix with either powering off and on, or with entering the setup menu and going to "speakers level". Unfortunately it stoped helping suddenly. I did reset to default settings and it helped untill powering off. After that it stopped fixing the problem no matter how many resets I've done. One time unplugging the network cable helped (have no idea why)
I found this thread and tried what anadigi did (thank you wery much by the way) I have to mention that I got my box ready for packing onkyo and sending it for repair and started thinking about buying denon. Well its weird but IT HELPED and it is already 3-rd day (unplugging and powering off is not changing this)
What I did is on stanby mode i held cd button down and pressed standby button. The display showed - TEST. Than I pressed cd button twice(rapidly) and it entered some mode ( couldn't find anything about this on net or in manual) I remember it said CEC (what stands for Consumer Electronic Control) and something else. Anyway it was kind of testing every electonic aspect of receiver , even all the buttons. I had to jump from test to teat by pressing right arrow on the unit. The last test was button test. After that I switched off the unit, turned it back on and unbelievable happened - it works again and THANK YOU ANADIGI !!! I was wondering how long will it last but after reading Your las post that U have it on for two weeks it gave me hope ))
So - this is not a joke it really heleped me.
Just one thing wonders me - why nobody on onkyo side said anything about the hidden menu. ( companies nowadays treat customers like morons - the same for example with playstation3 - I learned about hidden menu watching youtube and there are options like system restore and many others so..... I just dont get it) do customers really have to try combinations of buttons to fix their pricy equipment? Another thing - I wouldn't be surprised if the guys from onkyo where you sent your receivers didn't know about hidden electronic circuit test.
post #5097 of 5482 Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 AM

I tried this and it helped!!! It is some kind of hidden electronic circuit test. It is 3-rd day know and it still works regardless if I turn receiver off or unplug it) Thank U
Ps. I'm not te conspirator type of person but...why nobody on onkyo side said anything about that....? Why I was unable to find anything about this on our open network?
Regards. V
post #5098 of 5482 Old 04-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veencent View Post

I tried this and it helped!!! It is some kind of hidden electronic circuit test. It is 3-rd day know and it still works regardless if I turn receiver off or unplug it) Thank U
Ps. I'm not te conspirator type of person but...why nobody on onkyo side said anything about that....? Why I was unable to find anything about this on our open network?
Regards. V

Thanks!
I am here is trying to help as too many people having the problem. I am excited to find out this some kind of solution and not forcing people to do it!
I am here not selling anything. You have the obligation not to try!
By the way I am not going to do all the test until I have the problem again.
I am trying to tell people here and hope more people can dig out more detail about the test.

BTW thanks veencent! At least I feel hapy that someone appreciete this help!
post #5099 of 5482 Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Sent my Onkyo TX-Nr807 into ABL 3 weeks ago. Having no sound and network stuck on initializing now screen. This is the 3rd time in 2 years it has been in for repairs. Just got an estimate of $630.68 to repair it. Unbelievable!!!! Does anyone know what board is bad?
Thanks
post #5100 of 5482 Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 265
guys i tried the trick ,and it didn't work for me .the speakers icons did come back but when i turn off the 807 they disappeared again i 'll tell you what mine did during the test.
i pressed the standby and cd together and than pressed the cd twice ,entered the test mode pressed the right button when each test had the blinking direct come on ,i am assuming that is right ?went from tests 6-0 to the last test the key test ,it said key off than i pressed cd but it didnt do anything so i pressed stanby and it said clear and turned off ,than i powered it on and same thing the no sound and no speakers icon.i noticed that the tests 4-0 - till 4-28 there were nothing no clicking no speakers icon or direct up untill the 4-40 where the fan comes on test .anyways it may have worked for some of you and i thank you anadigi for discovering that exellent trick dude i am sure your a hero for finding that ,a lot of people will be impressed man .too bad it did not work for me yet i had to take it out again and box it up i am leaning now for the pioneer 1121 k or the onkyo 809 ,but i don't know about onkyos now i have been reading the 809 posts and they don't have that no sound issues ,i guess i have to listen to both and decide .yup a side by side test .
again thanx anadigi for the trick dude
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page