Onkyo TX-NR807 Official Thread - Page 173 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #5161 of 5502 Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine finely took a dump. No NET icon and speaker icons. I called ONKYO support and spoke with a rep. I did a hard reset and was able to get speaker icons and sound but when I tried to use NET I just get inializing. I reset my router and unplugged my receiver and nothing. Even my Remote Controller Setup icon is grayed out. Need to make another call to ONKYO!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 5502 Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamekiller View Post

I did a hard reset and was able to get speaker icons and sound but when I tried to use NET I just get inializing.

How did you do the "hard reset"?
post #5163 of 5502 Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 PM

Hold down VCR/DVR button then press the power button. You will see CLEAR appear on display.
Time to find a service center after a couple of hours no sound and icons. I have a 600 dollar door stopper NICE!!!
post #5164 of 5502 Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 AM

Hello, WHat if you dont whant to use this receivers with hdmi but only the analog imputs?

The problem persits?
post #5165 of 5502 Old 05-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Liked: 11
Please add me to the list of pissed off owners with a dead unit. I bought mine in Nov. of 2009, but didn't get the rest of my equipment until the end of December, so it didn't get used until January of 2010. It failed in February of 2012. Onkyo agreed to a one-time repair. The repair center replaced the HDMI board, I got it back and it failed again less than a month later. I brought it back, they re-soldered some joints on the HDMI board and since then it works 1/2-2/3 of the time that I try to power it on. It's back at the shop again and I'm pushing for a replacement TX-809. They offered to trade me a refurbished one for $550. Given that they cost like $680 brand new at Newegg, I think that's a terrible offer.

I'm super pissed and agree with the people who said this should be a class action suit. I'm a lawyer, but don't do that kind of work anymore. Hopefully someone else on here does. If so, please contact me. I'd be happy to join the suit if they're not going to replace this thing with an 809.
David_B likes this.
post #5166 of 5502 Old 05-06-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Even though you don't handle that type of law any longer, can you at lease point someone that does in the direction of handling this case?
How would one go about starting the suit?
You may be just what this thread is screaming for...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #5167 of 5502 Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Even though you don't handle that type of law any longer, can you at lease point someone that does in the direction of handling this case?

I keep telling people not to buy Onkyo.
I think it is better than the suit.
Evenually they will have the pay back!
I cannot believe that the name that they build up for so many years and let die!
I have mentioned before; no more Onkyo.
David_B likes this.
post #5168 of 5502 Old 05-06-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Everyone knows the only one that wins in a Class action law suit are the attorneys. Always have always will. The little guy gets a $5.00 coupon for future purchase
post #5169 of 5502 Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

The problem is that this is a consumer class action matter. My contacts all do securities class action work. I don't think any of them would bother with this kind of thing.
post #5170 of 5502 Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Everyone knows the only one that wins in a Class action law suit are the attorneys. Always have always will. The little guy gets a $5.00 coupon for future purchase

True, BUT...IF Onkyo's arrogance is "knocked down" a little bit because of having to pay, OR it results in a better overall product in the long run, one where the end consumer is not the R&D department for the manufacturer...
Which would you choose, You get nothing from Onkyo, and they continue with business as usual for them, OR we get a better end product, that is tested thoroughly BEFORE being released on the market? THEN said company might actually CARE what kind of product they put out.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #5171 of 5502 Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Still waiting on my return authorization e-mail so I can ship this brick back and get an 809.
Its now been 9 days.Called last tues. and they said it takes 3 or 4 days???!!
Called back again last thurs. and they sent to wrong e-mail address supposedly.
When and if I get the 809 it will immediatley be up for sale.
I've got a Denon 4311-ci on order.
And the wait continues,kind of like watching paint dry.
post #5172 of 5502 Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post

Well sports fans, turned on the receiver this evening and guess what..........failure #3.First time soldered,second time board replace.I'm not sure there is anything else that can be done,in fact I know nothing else can be done,units are defective.
Unit has had very little use as I have been working quite a few hours including weekends.Never had one of those movie marathon weekends to generate much heat.I believe unit board degrades even in stanby mode as a result of design flaws.
If Onkyo customer service is open tomorrow I will ask for a replace unit.
If they agree and send me an 809 it will be for sale.I will keep you posted.I am through with Onjunko

P.S. When I got the unit back this second time I was going to sell it but couldn't bring myself to do so becuase I knew it would fail again.
I would feel guilty knowing someone busted their butt earning the cash to buy it and then getting a brick.

Mines in repair also for the board issue. I've already replaced the unit and was going to sell it when I got it back but also don't want to take hard earned cash for a product with these issues. I've about decided to just ask for enough to cover shipping with information to the issue and chalk it up to experience....a bad one.

I really loved the received, awesome when it's working like it should and why I've stuck with Onkyo and their ongoing reliability issues but I've moved on hopefully this one will be more dependable. I've found already it doesn't get hot enough to fry an egg on like all of my previous Onkyo's did.
post #5173 of 5502 Old 05-10-2012, 11:21 AM

Just to give an ETA on the replacement process, it took them about 5 days (including weekend) to get the e-mail with the shipping label to me. Then, I dropped it off at UPS on May 1st, and they shipped out a replacement on May 8th, which according to FedEx will arrive on May 14th. Shipping from California to Michigan.

I'm tempted to just turn around and flip the receiver on e-bay, but I'm guessing I'll be lucky to clear $475 after fees, shipping charges, etc. There's a couple of refurb receivers on accessories for less in the $750 to $800 range, so that's close to another $300 out of pocket.

I'm hoping the 809 comes with some type of warranty when its received, otherwise I'll look into a 3rd party warranty like Square Trade, etc for some type of replacement protection.
post #5174 of 5502 Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 AM

Well,here is an update.
I'm still waiting on my replacement 809,going on 3 weeks now.
I was going to turn right around and sell it as soon as I received it.
In the the mean time I ordered and received a Denon 4311 from Electronics Expo.
Guess what?!!!unit is a 45# doorstop.
Unit will NOT recognize my surround speakers during audessey set-up.
When I tried to check speakers with test tones unit kept going into protect mode.
Its also going back for full refund,I refuse to put something in for repair thats brand new.
And the saga continues.
post #5175 of 5502 Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 AM

So what's the deal? Does anyone out there make a decent, reliable, and affordable AVR that you can get more than a year or two of use out of before going belly up?

I know this will date me, but it seems like so much around us these days fits into the category of, "they just don't make 'em like they used to".
post #5176 of 5502 Old 05-17-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECJ View Post

So what's the deal? Does anyone out there make a decent, reliable, and affordable AVR that you can get more than a year or two of use out of before going belly up?

I know this will date me, but it seems like so much around us these days fits into the category of, "they just don't make 'em like they used to".

+1,60 here.ssssshhhhh.
post #5177 of 5502 Old 05-18-2012, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

When I tried to check speakers with test tones unit kept going into protect mode...

Was it always on the same speaker? Maybe you have a blown driver or a short in the wires? I had that problem once and figured out that I had just one strand of wire across the terminals of my amp.

-Tony
post #5178 of 5502 Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM

I got my TX-NR809 as a replacement for the TX-NR807 and within 4 hours, the HDMI Main output failed, so I can't get any video signal out of the receiver through HDMI Main. It does work through HDMI sub which I could probably just live with it, except you can't get the onscreen guide through the HDMI Sub output, which makes it difficult to make any adjustments. No problems with the unit itself. Seems like a nice upgrade over the 807.

So I called Onkyo and they're supposed to be sending me a shipping label to send the 809 back and get another replacement. So I'm looking at another 2 weeks of no receiver. The saga continues....
post #5179 of 5502 Old 05-18-2012, 09:50 AM

You have got to be kidding ...
post #5180 of 5502 Old 05-18-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick00016 View Post

I got my TX-NR809 as a replacement for the TX-NR807 and within 4 hours, the HDMI Main output failed, so I can't get any video signal out of the receiver through HDMI Main. It does work through HDMI sub which I could probably just live with it, except you can't get the onscreen guide through the HDMI Sub output, which makes it difficult to make any adjustments. No problems with the unit itself. Seems like a nice upgrade over the 807.

So I called Onkyo and they're supposed to be sending me a shipping label to send the 809 back and get another replacement. So I'm looking at another 2 weeks of no receiver. The saga continues....

Was the unit they sent you a refurb?
Unbelieveable
post #5181 of 5502 Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 PM

I think it was new. It didn't say refurb on the unit anywhere or the box and the shipping label listed Lot#:A if that means anything. I registered the unit on Onkyo's website when received, but I couldn't tell how long of a warranty came with the unit.

The best part of the process was when they tried giving me some hassle about when my original warranty expired (which was April 2012), but after a few terse words, they went ahead and processed the replacement of the 809 for a new 809. I'm glad I didn't have to take this one to ABL for repair and I'm hopefully getting a new unit (cross my fingers) that won't fail on me.
post #5182 of 5502 Old 05-18-2012, 03:22 PM

Face it ... as long as Onkyo or their AVR's are still involved, you're doomed.
post #5183 of 5502 Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 PM

Good luck,hope it works out for you.
post #5184 of 5502 Old 05-26-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick00016 View Post

Sad to read this. Best wishes finding a resolution.
post #5185 of 5502 Old 05-26-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F=ma View Post

Sad to read this. Best wishes finding a resolution.

Yeah, that is unfortunate. My replacement 809 has been working well for almost 6 months now. The only issue I have is my PS3 sometimes has difficulty syncing audio with the receiver, especially with 2 channel audio on older netflix shows. Other than that, it's been great.
post #5186 of 5502 Old 05-27-2012, 03:14 AM

Hi guys
Having major issues with the zone 2 on my new amp - the only source I seem to able to play through it weather powered or through a second amp is the tuner?

What I really want is to be able to mirror the current source playing on the amp or usually the pc - the options came up on the remote or iPad when using the onkyo app, but nothing comes through the speakers?

Am I missing a setting somewhere? Also can the amount or power being put through the zone 2 in powered mode be changed?
post #5187 of 5502 Old 05-27-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjaseb View Post

Hi guys
Having major issues with the zone 2 on my new amp - the only source I seem to able to play through it weather powered or through a second amp is the tuner?

What I really want is to be able to mirror the current source playing on the amp or usually the pc - the options came up on the remote or iPad when using the onkyo app, but nothing comes through the speakers?

Am I missing a setting somewhere? Also can the amount or power being put through the zone 2 in powered mode be changed?

Welcome to the forum!

If it is like many Onkyo avr's then only analog signals like the tuner or an attached analog source via the RCA connectors. The manual should state this, my 3007 is this way.

Regarding power in Zone 2, not sure what you mean here, it uses one of the stereo amplifier blocks within the AVR so all of the regular spec apply.

Al
post #5188 of 5502 Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 PM

Just got back from Florida today.
Neighbor came over and dropped off my replacement unit that was shipped last monday.
I thought I was seeing things as I glanced at the box.
Brand spankin new TX NR 818!!!!I was expecting an 809.
Hooked up and running already,unit sounds TERRIFIC.
Lots of goodies on this thing and supports a ton of streaming channels.
I need to play around some to get used to all the features this unit has.
I'll keep you posted.
post #5189 of 5502 Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Neighbor came over and dropped off my replacement unit that was shipped last monday.
I'll keep you posted.

wow
post #5190 of 5502 Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

I'll keep you posted.

Very cool, my 3007 goes in tomorrow for intermittent sound... fingers crossed for a good outcome!

Al
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors