Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2014, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

This is from my 3007 that I just shipped off for repair, the picture was taken yesterday. I don't have a picture from the original HDMI board that came in the unit. At any rate this HDMI board was installed in May of 2012 well in advance of newer design chip being available from TI.

As I said Onkyo did release a service bulletin to their authorized depots about the voltage issue, here is the post http://www.avsforum.com/t/1170804/onkyo-tx-nr807-official-thread/5220#post_22225196

The "low voltage fix" was actually recommended by TI to prolong life of the defective chips. Here you have official documents from TI:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1671329.pdf

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/images/5/5a/Premature_Aging_Presentation.pdf

Please tell me one more thing, your original and replaced HDMI board was BAHDM-0132? Do you have a photo of whole board?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Slaw, thanks for providing the links for the TI chip information, I have my fingers crossed that the 'yet to be installed' HDMI board has the revised chip, but I doubt that Onkyo would be re-manning the boards with new chips for a 4 year old receiver. The most likely scenario will be the adjustment of the voltage to 3.1 voltage to extend it's life. I will however be taking pictures when I get the unit back.

So I don't have any pictures of the original board that came in the 3007, I only have the 1st warranty replacement (that failed after 1-1/2 years). The picture is in 2 parts so I could get the best detail of the board, identifier: BCHDM-0157

Al
Old 03-19-2014, 08:42 AM

Thanks for your photos, HDMI board in your machine is different than board of 807. I have a dead 807 now, i've reballed Q3001 once and it died again after 2 months. Now i have to replace that IC because another rework don't work anymore but i can't find D830K011 anywhere :/ I found new D830K013 in China but i don't know what is the difference between K011 and K013, there are no datasheets of this ICs on the net :/

Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaw82 View Post

Thanks for your photos, HDMI board in your machine is different than board of 807. I have a dead 807 now, i've reballed Q3001 once and it died again after 2 months. Now i have to replace that IC because another rework don't work anymore but i can't find D830K011 anywhere :/ I found new D830K013 in China but i don't know what is the difference between K011 and K013, there are no datasheets of this ICs on the net :/

Have you seen this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPAIR-SERVICE-ONKYO-TX-NR807-HDMI-BOARD-WITH-NO-AUDIO-ISSUE-/301124440539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461c6a51db#ht_457wt_1362

Al
Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 AM

I live in Poland, that offer is not from my part of the world :D On the other side, i will not pay for repair if i can do it myself ;)

Old 03-28-2014, 05:11 PM

I was about purchase new capacitors from parts express to repair my once again defunct HDMI no sound issue on my 807. However, after deciding to actually review the official 807 thread posts for the last year, I don't see that replacing capacitors on this model is discussed as an option at all. So forgive me if it's been discussed in the prior 170 pages of threads, but is our board suffering from an issue beyond dead capacitors - the DSP processor chip? Many other Onkyo HDMI issues on newer models are being owner-repaired by replacing the many capacitors that die from extreme heat.

I appreciate all the info posted here. I will contact Onkyo once more if it's more than just capacitors to see if I can get a 2nd HDMI replacement - this time out of warranty.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishoy View Post

I was about purchase new capacitors from parts express to repair my once again defunct HDMI no sound issue on my 807. However, after deciding to actually review the official 807 thread posts for the last year, I don't see that replacing capacitors on this model is discussed as an option at all. So forgive me if it's been discussed in the prior 170 pages of threads, but is our board suffering from an issue beyond dead capacitors - the DSP processor chip? Many other Onkyo HDMI issues on newer models are being owner-repaired by replacing the many capacitors that die from extreme heat.

I appreciate all the info posted here. I will contact Onkyo once more if it's more than just capacitors to see if I can get a 2nd HDMI replacement - this time out of warranty.

It is my understanding that the failure is the from an over voltage condition on the DSP Chips. Newer chips (boards) have more robust chips.

When was your board first replaced? The revisons came out in September of 2012.

Al
Old 03-29-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

It is my understanding that the failure is the from an over voltage condition on the DSP Chips. Newer chips (boards) have more robust chips.

When was your board first replaced? The revisons came out in September of 2012.

Looking at the work order now - it was replaced in March 2011. The first time it was replaced was under New Egg warranty as it was 6 months after purchase. Hopefully Onkyo will step up for me.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishoy View Post

Looking at the work order now - it was replaced in March 2011. The first time it was replaced was under New Egg warranty as it was 6 months after purchase. Hopefully Onkyo will step up for me.

It doesn't hurt to ask Onkyo... good luck!

Al
Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My 807 has been working flawlessly until this week. For some reason every time I play a video file through my Oppo 103 there is no sound the first time. If I press stop, change input to something else, then back again it works again. Is this a sign my HDMI board is on the way?
Old 04-05-2014, 05:13 AM

hello lovely people. Im from UK. I have taken a lot from this forum so its only fair I give something back. I have a 807 puchased faulty with no audio and hdmi issues, on osd etc. Its the fault everybody is having!

so basically I fixed everything! running since very early jan mainly just for audio and I was very impressed with the sound quality! so sold my high end amp and kept this :)

I cant believe people are struggling so much with this amp! there is so much info on this site it can be fixed for good.

what I did....

VIDEO FIX

replaced all caps (well (99%) in hdmi board - video work but failed after 15 minutes or so 

added 1 1uf cap across 1 transistor that I suspect was causing video/osd issues - video did not fail

SOUND FIX

made a housing for the DSP chip and added heat sink - never had to reball or use heat gun. audio has never failed since

clearly a fan is a must! and has had a temp fan since all repairs made. have order a nice 200mm fan to sit on top to cool those pre-amp transistors and mosfets as they are the only main components that produce sooo much heat.

any more info let me know!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmzy View Post

hello lovely people. Im from UK. I have taken a lot from this forum so its only fair I give something back. I have a 807 puchased faulty with no audio and hdmi issues, on osd etc. Its the fault everybody is having!

so basically I fixed everything! running since very early jan mainly just for audio and I was very impressed with the sound quality! so sold my high end amp and kept this smile.gif

I cant believe people are struggling so much with this amp! there is so much info on this site it can be fixed for good.

what I did....

VIDEO FIX

replaced all caps (well (99%) in hdmi board - video work but failed after 15 minutes or so 

added 1 1uf cap across 1 transistor that I suspect was causing video/osd issues - video did not fail

SOUND FIX

made a housing for the DSP chip and added heat sink - never had to reball or use heat gun. audio has never failed since

clearly a fan is a must! and has had a temp fan since all repairs made. have order a nice 200mm fan to sit on top to cool those pre-amp transistors and mosfets as they are the only main components that produce sooo much heat.

any more info let me know!

Would like to see a picture or two showing the heatsink that you put on the DSP chip, It is my understanding that this issue on this chip was the input voltage, but as you mention it never hurst to keep things cool... ;-)

Al
Old 04-05-2014, 08:44 AM

input voltage? i did read abou that but thats not the issue. heat is what killed this amp. i repair tv's not amps this was first attemp. heat kills tv's and heat killed this amp. no sound, no osd, no speakers is display panel, no network the same everyone is experiencing! with this there should be no problems. I have yet to find anyone using the dsp cooling method i have used. its soooo simple cant believe no one even tried it!!

get small enough crews to fit the hole. i had to make mine slightly bigger. note i had no audio what so ever before this and no heat was used to melt solder etc

fit screws through make a small base for it to screw to add heatsink. bobs your uncle!

also added heat sink to gpu and the mosfet that burns your finger when touched! under blue heatsink.

then it got me thinking osd/hdmi still does not work properly. i decided to investigate the eakest component most affected by the superhot mosfet and found a transistor. since no guide was created for this amp to resolve the osd issues and believe me i looked, i had to do some logical guessing that the transistor just under it and right next to the gpu might be playing up. so after adding some generic 1uf 250v capacitor i got from a faulty sony psu board i resolved the issue.

you can just see it here its red.

and it goes here

i only really use this amp for stereo but after hours of use i do check to see if osd still works and yes it does.

only really got this to try and fix. my electronic skills basic. clearly without this site i would not have been able to fix this. 3 months now my amp went from paper weight to decent amp! potentially with this you can fix all models with similar hdmi board. i nearlly got my hands on a 5008 for peanuts. muhahahahahaahaha

EvilNoOne likes this.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:

HI, i have a request to persons who had HDMI boards replaced in their units. Can you please take a photo or at least read markings from DSP processor (Q3001) and post it on the forum? I'm curious if Onkyo placed a newer revision of the chip on the HDMI boards they mount. If the chips are same there is highly probable that the units will fail again after 2-3years (assuming the chips are new).

I ordered a new board on thursday, should arrive in a few days, this is the second one which is broken in my 807. The first one broke after 2 1/2 years (02/2012) and the 2nd one about 2 month ago.

At the moment I help myself with the turn off/on  after "preheating" it in standby, works good till now, but the preheating time extends. I wrote to Onkyo in January, didn't get any response till now so I ordered the board myself (190€ here in Germany -.- ).

I will make Photos of both, the two old ones and the new one on arrival.

I will try to repair the old ones with the method Holmzy mentioned. Maybe it works and I will have spare parts for the Future ^^

I will also try to build in some kind of fan and heatsinks.

Does anyone did this already? Especially with the use of some internal power source for the fan?

Holmzy's method sounds very interesting, because of the heat that dissipates from the q3001 and his "mounting" with the screws and heatsink, there is no chance that it can "desolder" itself.

I know it ist not really desoldering, but with the constant change in temperature, it is most likely that the soldering begins to build cracks in the connections under the chip (just my 2cent).

Regards

P.S.:

The dealer told me the new boards should have a label on the dsp chip, but I will see what he meant when it arrives.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:52 PM

I have started getting the center channel cutting in and out, while watching an HDMI source on Dolby/DTS setting, it is worse depending on source (seems to have failed on my HTPC channel), and also during certain parts of a DVD/Bluray, it's not intermittent per say, it is like it gets a different coding, and switches off, and is reproducible on that media. If switch to All Ch Stereo, or simulated surround, I can hear the center channel information again, BUT it isn't coming out the center channel specifically.

Is this a sign that my HDMI board is going out? I just want to make sure before I try to contact Onkyo to get a replacement board.

Also is there a FAQ somewhere about what caps and other mods to do to fix the problem on your own? I fix electronics for a living, so I wouldn't have an issue trying to do this. I'm hoping there is one somewhere and I don't have to crawl through all 183 pages of this thread to find them.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmzy View Post

input voltage? i did read abou that but thats not the issue. heat is what killed this amp. i repair tv's not amps this was first attemp. heat kills tv's and heat killed this amp. no sound, no osd, no speakers is display panel, no network the same everyone is experiencing! with this there should be no problems. I have yet to find anyone using the dsp cooling method i have used. its soooo simple cant believe no one even tried it!!

get small enough crews to fit the hole. i had to make mine slightly bigger. note i had no audio what so ever before this and no heat was used to melt solder etc

fit screws through make a small base for it to screw to add heatsink. bobs your uncle!

also added heat sink to gpu and the mosfet that burns your finger when touched! under blue heatsink.

then it got me thinking osd/hdmi still does not work properly. i decided to investigate the eakest component most affected by the superhot mosfet and found a transistor. since no guide was created for this amp to resolve the osd issues and believe me i looked, i had to do some logical guessing that the transistor just under it and right next to the gpu might be playing up. so after adding some generic 1uf 250v capacitor i got from a faulty sony psu board i resolved the issue.

you can just see it here its red.

and it goes here

i only really use this amp for stereo but after hours of use i do check to see if osd still works and yes it does.

only really got this to try and fix. my electronic skills basic. clearly without this site i would not have been able to fix this. 3 months now my amp went from paper weight to decent amp! potentially with this you can fix all models with similar hdmi board. i nearlly got my hands on a 5008 for peanuts. muhahahahahaahaha

Thanks for the pictures and details, I think that I will add a heat sink to the DSP chip (Q3001), as mentioned earlier, no harm in keeping it cool. The GPU chip (4th and 5th picture down?), what is the designation of this chip and or its name? I may look for this one as well in my 3007 (still waiting for it's return).

I also plan to add cooling fans to this unit, I have bought a couple of ultra quiet units that I will mount on the top... blow or suck... that is my next decision.

Al
Old 06-06-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This picture is yours or from internet? On picture DSP is D830K013 and NR3007 service manual says that the IC should be D830K011. Failures of the units are not Onkyos fault, TI is the one to blame. I have official TI bullettin which says that huge family of DSP processors manufactured by them has design flaw and it's the reason of premature aging of the chip. TI made corrected version of the ICs and they are on the market from 2nd quarter of 2013, they have markings D830K13 (or K11) DZKB instead of AZKB and BZKB on the previous versions. Unfortunately i can't find them to buy anywhere :/

Well, I have an update, I just got my NR3007 back with the 'new' HDMI board and thankfully a 'new' DSP chip at position Q3001! The entire board was replaced, compared to the previous board this one has a distinctive golden hue. I plan to at a minimum add two 120mm Noctura ultra quiet cooling fans on top of the AVR, and possibly a heat sink to the diminutive Q3001 that forms the heart of the video and sound circuitry in these AVR's.

The first picture is a close up of the DSP chip and the last two pictures show the board itself... according to what was quoted above this is the corrected version made available by TI to manufactures to replaced the flawed DSP that these AVR's originally came with.

BTW, Extreme Kudos to Jose and Onkyo for the excellent customer service and support for an issue beyond their control, very much appreciated!

Al
Old 06-09-2014, 12:41 AM

Hi,

your new Q3001 is K013DZKB so according to TI's bullettin that's the new, corrected version of the chip so it should work forever now :) It seems your receiver has been repaired for good ;)

Old 06-09-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

your new Q3001 is K013DZKB so according to TI's bullettin that's the new, corrected version of the chip so it should work forever now smile.gif It seems your receiver has been repaired for good wink.gif

I sure hope that you are right about lasting forever! I really like the sound and features of this AVR and it will be used for a good long time to come

But as an added precaution I have placed a fan on top for additonal cooling, these units do run hot as we all know and additional cooling can't be a bad thing. With a single 120mm fan placed directly over the right side rear, the resulting effect was amazing, normally the top of the case is hot to the touch within literally minutes of turning on the unit, after 1-1/2 hours of running (with fan in place), the top was almost cool to the touch. when the AVR gets placed in my equipment rack it will have a dedicated fan system in place to draw filtered air through the receiver at all times when running.

Onkyo has been very helpful to me through this problem, and as you mentioned earlier in the thread, the defect in the HDMI board was caused by a TI chip not Onkyo.

Al
Old 06-10-2014, 03:08 PM

Liked: 13
I have mine fixed last year.
I very rarely use it as I bought another AV before I sent to repair.
I have just opened up the cover and the chip is D830K013DZB3 but not 4!
May be 400Mhz is not for NR807.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 AM

Yes, KB4 does not work in 807, receiver does power on and all the functions work but there is no sound from the speakers and headphones :/ Problem is that there's no way to buy KB3 chips, only KB4 are available :/

Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenielsen View Post
berzo84 - Keep the faith. Given all of the other owners in this thread who have had Onkyo step up and take ownership of the issues with the 807, I would say your chances are very good. My guess would be that it doesn't matter if it's US or Austrailian support, Onkyo knows about the issues and should probably help out. I would reference the fact that you have read about many other owners having theirs fixed out of warranty for the issues that plagued the unit. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
Just had a call from my local repair center. Onkyo have agreed to cover the HDMI board under a warranty extension. I have to pay for the labor of the unit which is $132. I am more than happy with the outcome. Thanks for all of the info i got from the other members of this forum, it has helped a heap.

User Tag List