Onkyo TX-NR807 Official Thread - Page 185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #5521 of 5524 Old 05-13-2016, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
Pages 115-122 in the manual describes your options, certainly you can power a 5.1 system for the living room and 2 (stereo) speakers for the back deck.
Al, I guess I'm still a little confused on what the proper 5.1 speaker setup is. They show on pg 115-122 of the manual how to connect zone 2, but they don't show what the rear surround speakers for the 5.1 should be connected to in a situation of Zone 2. It seems like the only options for the rear surround are what would be plugged into either Zone 2 or Zone 3 if you don't have them. The other speaker options are Front L/R, Center, Front High L/R, Front Wide L/R, Surround L/R (Zone 3), Surround Back L/R (Zone 2). So what would you use other than the Front L/R & Center for the 5.1 rear speakers? I'm guessing it's one of the Zone connections, but not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 5524 Old 05-14-2016, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm5300 View Post
Al, I guess I'm still a little confused on what the proper 5.1 speaker setup is. They show on pg 115-122 of the manual how to connect zone 2, but they don't show what the rear surround speakers for the 5.1 should be connected to in a situation of Zone 2. It seems like the only options for the rear surround are what would be plugged into either Zone 2 or Zone 3 if you don't have them. The other speaker options are Front L/R, Center, Front High L/R, Front Wide L/R, Surround L/R (Zone 3), Surround Back L/R (Zone 2). So what would you use other than the Front L/R & Center for the 5.1 rear speakers? I'm guessing it's one of the Zone connections, but not sure.
Let me know if this helps clarify the connections.

So based on the way the TX-NR807 assigns speakers and active zones: for 5.1 surround in the living room you would use the "Surround left and right speakers" as shown in the diagram on page 115, these would be connected to the "SURR/Zone3 L" and "SURR/Zone3 R" terminals, this leaves the "SURR/Zone2 L" and "SURR/Zone2 R" terminals to power the back deck speakers (page 116).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TX-NR807_speaker_connection_for_5.1_and_deck.png
Views:	39
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1438106   Click image for larger version

Name:	TX-NR807_speaker_options.png
Views:	30
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1438114  

Al
post #5523 of 5524 Old 05-14-2016, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
Let me know if this helps clarify the connections.

So based on the way the TX-NR807 assigns speakers and active zones: for 5.1 surround in the living room you would use the "Surround left and right speakers" as shown in the diagram on page 115, these would be connected to the "SURR/Zone3 L" and "SURR/Zone3 R" terminals, this leaves the "SURR/Zone2 L" and "SURR/Zone2 R" terminals to power the back deck speakers (page 116).
Thanks. Maybe my manual is an older version or something because all I have on page 115 all I have is a huge picture of a room showing all the connections, and the only mention of surround speakers on page 116 is "Connect your Zone 2 speakers to the AV receiver’s SURR BACK/ZONE 2 L/R speaker terminals." with the below image. It never evens mentions the Surround L/R - Zone 3 connections. I appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1438234  
Al Sherwood likes this.
post #5524 of 5524 Old 05-14-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm5300 View Post
Thanks. Maybe my manual is an older version or something because all I have on page 115 all I have is a huge picture of a room showing all the connections, and the only mention of surround speakers on page 116 is "Connect your Zone 2 speakers to the AV receiver’s SURR BACK/ZONE 2 L/R speaker terminals." with the below image. It never evens mentions the Surround L/R - Zone 3 connections. I appreciate the help.
No worries, here is a link to the manual I looked at: http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...En_webver2.pdf

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors