Onkyo TX-NR807 Official Thread - Page 185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #5521 of 5532 Old 05-13-2016, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
Pages 115-122 in the manual describes your options, certainly you can power a 5.1 system for the living room and 2 (stereo) speakers for the back deck.
Al, I guess I'm still a little confused on what the proper 5.1 speaker setup is. They show on pg 115-122 of the manual how to connect zone 2, but they don't show what the rear surround speakers for the 5.1 should be connected to in a situation of Zone 2. It seems like the only options for the rear surround are what would be plugged into either Zone 2 or Zone 3 if you don't have them. The other speaker options are Front L/R, Center, Front High L/R, Front Wide L/R, Surround L/R (Zone 3), Surround Back L/R (Zone 2). So what would you use other than the Front L/R & Center for the 5.1 rear speakers? I'm guessing it's one of the Zone connections, but not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 5532 Old 05-14-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm5300 View Post
Al, I guess I'm still a little confused on what the proper 5.1 speaker setup is. They show on pg 115-122 of the manual how to connect zone 2, but they don't show what the rear surround speakers for the 5.1 should be connected to in a situation of Zone 2. It seems like the only options for the rear surround are what would be plugged into either Zone 2 or Zone 3 if you don't have them. The other speaker options are Front L/R, Center, Front High L/R, Front Wide L/R, Surround L/R (Zone 3), Surround Back L/R (Zone 2). So what would you use other than the Front L/R & Center for the 5.1 rear speakers? I'm guessing it's one of the Zone connections, but not sure.
Let me know if this helps clarify the connections.

So based on the way the TX-NR807 assigns speakers and active zones: for 5.1 surround in the living room you would use the "Surround left and right speakers" as shown in the diagram on page 115, these would be connected to the "SURR/Zone3 L" and "SURR/Zone3 R" terminals, this leaves the "SURR/Zone2 L" and "SURR/Zone2 R" terminals to power the back deck speakers (page 116).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TX-NR807_speaker_connection_for_5.1_and_deck.png
Views:	63
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1438106   Click image for larger version

Name:	TX-NR807_speaker_options.png
Views:	45
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1438114  

Al
post #5523 of 5532 Old 05-14-2016, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Let me know if this helps clarify the connections.

So based on the way the TX-NR807 assigns speakers and active zones: for 5.1 surround in the living room you would use the "Surround left and right speakers" as shown in the diagram on page 115, these would be connected to the "SURR/Zone3 L" and "SURR/Zone3 R" terminals, this leaves the "SURR/Zone2 L" and "SURR/Zone2 R" terminals to power the back deck speakers (page 116).
Thanks. Maybe my manual is an older version or something because all I have on page 115 all I have is a huge picture of a room showing all the connections, and the only mention of surround speakers on page 116 is "Connect your Zone 2 speakers to the AV receiver’s SURR BACK/ZONE 2 L/R speaker terminals." with the below image. It never evens mentions the Surround L/R - Zone 3 connections. I appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	speakers.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1438234  
Al Sherwood likes this.

post #5524 of 5532 Old 05-14-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm5300 View Post
Thanks. Maybe my manual is an older version or something because all I have on page 115 all I have is a huge picture of a room showing all the connections, and the only mention of surround speakers on page 116 is "Connect your Zone 2 speakers to the AV receiver’s SURR BACK/ZONE 2 L/R speaker terminals." with the below image. It never evens mentions the Surround L/R - Zone 3 connections. I appreciate the help.
No worries, here is a link to the manual I looked at: http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...En_webver2.pdf

Al
post #5525 of 5532 Old 07-06-2017, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Onyx tx-nr807: how to test speakers

I have an onyx tx-nr807; it was a gift. I think i hooked it up correctly for 5.2 (the two side speakers are physically behind the couch not on the sides).
-
As far as I can tell no sound is playing on the subwoofer or two rear speakers (they are plugged into the side markings on the receiver).
-
When I run the 5.2 dts test on youtube (using the tv's web browser); when it plays the side speaker the sound comes out front.
-
Is there a reliable way i can test the subwoofer and two side speakers one at a time (I can't find anything in the receiver manual that shows if it is set to 5.2; and i'm not sure thx button on the receiver is compatible with dts).
-
Some additional information: The reciever is hooked up to the tv (oled65c7 - received today) via the optical out from the tv.
-
The receiver itself was a gift and this is the first time I've used it. It is an older model.
-
What I would like to do is tell the speaker to put out sound on one specific speaker and then test the connections et all to figure out if there is a hook up connection or problem with the wall wire.
post #5526 of 5532 Old 07-08-2017, 01:49 AM

Ok. I figure it out - while I knew i was suppose to connect the rear speakrs to zone 3; i had connected them to zone 2 in a 5.1 configuration. I fix that and they are now working. Sub-woofer is still an issue but doesnt' appear to be an issue with the receiver.
post #5527 of 5532 Old 07-08-2017, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You Tube videos are only in stereo so a so called surround sound test file will only come from the front left & right speakers.
You do not connect the surround speakers to Zone 2 or Zone 3 , that is when you want speakers in another room. You connect the surround speakers to the surround speaker terminals.

As for seeing if all the speakers are working just use the receivers built in test tones.
Page 84 of the manual 2 Speaker Setup/1 Level Calibration.

You can download the user manual here https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...4LtQeA&cad=rjt

Onkyo TX-NR809,Sony KDL50W829 ,Virgin Media V Box HD, WDTV, PS3, Philips DVP9560, Marantz CD67, BK Monolith Plus, KEF TDM 23C,23F & 34DS, Darbee Darblet, Belkin F9G6223uk3M, Buttkicker LFE kit, IsoAcoustics L8R430 and L8R155, Mede8er 800X3D

Last edited by Dolus; 07-08-2017 at 08:38 AM.
post #5528 of 5532 Old 07-08-2017, 09:45 AM

I don't understand the manual sez that if I use a 5.1 setup to plug speaker 3 and 4 in right side and left side. On the back on the onxy the left side/right side has zone 3 written across them:

You can see this clearly in the picture below on the right side (the left is a bit blurry).

Also once i moved them from the spots label right/left back (which from the manual is for 7.1); they did in fact start emitting sound from the test video (played via youtube throug the tv web app). The test sound circle through each speaker one at a time so i'm pretty sure it was doing the right thing.

Perhaps i misunderstand you ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xx.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	2224809  

Last edited by you28; 07-08-2017 at 04:19 PM.
post #5529 of 5532 Old 07-08-2017, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
You do not connect the surround speakers to Zone 2 or Zone 3 , that is when you want speakers in another room. You connect the surround speakers to the surround speaker terminals.

As for seeing if all the speakers are working just use the receivers built in test tones.
Page 84 of the manual 2 Speaker Setup/1 Level Calibration.
Page 11 of the manual shows that the Zone 3 terminals ARE the surround terminals. Also, page 84 talks about the on screen setup menus, not speaker setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by you28 View Post
I don't understand the manual sez that if I use a 5.1 setup to plug speaker 3 and 4 in right side and left side. On the back on the onxy the left side/right side has zone 3 written across them:

You can see this clearly in the picture below on the right side (the left is a bit blurry).

Also once i moved them from the spots label right/left back (which from the manual is for 7.1); they did in fact start emitting sound from the test video (played via youtube throug the tv web app). The test sound circle through each speaker one at a time so i'm pretty sure it was doing the right thing.

Perhaps i misunderstand you ?
Don't worry you got it right. The futherest outside terminals are the Surround/Zone 3 terminals.
post #5530 of 5532 Old Today, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there a way to do a factory reset?I have gone through the manual and this tread and don't see anything.
Also-if anyone is interested I solved the Roku hand shake problem by getting an inexpensive hdmi switch box.
post #5531 of 5532 Old Today, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerh View Post
Is there a way to do a factory reset?I have gone through the manual and this tread and don't see anything.
Also-if anyone is interested I solved the Roku hand shake problem by getting an inexpensive hdmi switch box.
Although the following is for the 3007/5007 I believe it is the same for the 807, see Troubleshooting section:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Onkyo_3007_Factory_reset.png
Views:	3
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2299232  

Al
post #5532 of 5532 Old Today, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Although the following is for the 3007/5007 I believe it is the same for the 807, see Troubleshooting section:
Thanks Al-Will try next time I'm at my brother's.
Al Sherwood likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page