Onkyo TX-NR807 Official Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I talked to Daniel/David? at Onkyo Support. The reset (hold DVR/VCR, press Standby on front panel) did not work. I unplugged the unit and replugged and the unit completed it's download progress.
The firmware update instructions didn't cover my issue. But here is a link to the .pdf.
I am now back to being a happy camper. Except for the update hanging, I had this thing 100% setup, calibrated and remote control program(med itself) in under 90 minutes.
Also, I asked Support if there are any control pages for volume, source etc. He could only suggest rs-232 codes... I also asked him about issues with this unit. He said it is a good unit and it does have a few issues of it's own due to the new features. But pretty good all in all.
I am thrilled with this, it is arguably worth 2.5x ($376 vs $922 after tax) the HK AVR 354 it is replacing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How warm (or hot) does the 807 run?

EDIT: Whoops, the 807 doesn't have dual HDMI out, so at least there is one less choice. ;-/

I'm almost ready to upgrade from my old Sony 777ES + iScan Vp30 and the Onkyo line of AVR are looking really good. The ability to drive two HDMI is going to be great (one at a time is not an issue). I'll finally easily drive my projector and the LCD tv.

Thanks.
Mark

-=-
Mark Hoy - HomeTheater Addict
post #543 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
You should look at the X007 line, they have dual HDMI outs.
post #544 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

You should look at the X007 line, they have dual HDMI outs.

Thanks, looking at them now.

Mark

-=-
post #545 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 08:55 AM

Why are people doing the firmware upgrade right away? Does it make the AVR "run" better. Are there already problems with the 807 that need to be upgraded?
post #546 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hoy View Post

Thanks, looking at them now.

Mark

BTW Newegg had a great deal last weekend on the 1007 and 3007 last weekend so keep on eye on them. I should be getting a 1007 this afternoon however I will only be using 1 HDMI out.
post #547 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Booztd View Post

Why are people doing the firmware upgrade right away? Does it make the AVR "run" better. Are there already problems with the 807 that need to be upgraded?

No good reason for me: it is somewhat a toy, I like to tinker, I wanted to see how it worked, and bad judgement due to the risk of issues when updating...
post #548 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 AM

Liked: 12
Hi guys,

I'm really tech stupid these days. I have not kept up since I got my TXSR 800 years ago.

It's time to upgrade and I have some simple questions.

What can I do with the Ethernet feature. I have a small wired network in my home.

What will I need to get the Satellite radio going. I have an account and antenna but fear more equipment is needed?

I love my TXSR 800 remotes Macro function. Is this still available?

I have a Hitachi plasma and my speakers are all large Dahlquist units including the sub. Two main, four satellites and the sub.

Last, what can I expect sound quality wise between the old TXSR-800 and the TXR-807?

Thanks

Thanks, 2therock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #549 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 AM

Those of you going to the 1007, what are the primary reasons? Does it have better sound quality or is it just because of the dual HDMI out's?

I may have need for that in the future, but I'm not seeing any other reason to justify the additional $$ other than maybe the additional amp.

I almost want the 1007 just so I can have the 9.1 as I have two other zones I'd like to run. I heard if you wire up zone 2-3 on the 807 you can't use 5.1 in the first zone even when zone 2-3 is not on, is that correct? The manual didn't explicitly say that.....

How's the 906 compare to the 807?
post #550 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2therock View Post

Hi guys,

I'm really tech stupid these days. I have not kept up since I got my TXSR 800 years ago.

It's time to upgrade and I have some simple questions.

What can I do with the Ethernet feature. I have a small wired network in my home.

What will I need to get the Satellite radio going. I have an account and antenna but fear more equipment is needed?

I love my TXSR 800 remotes Macro function. Is this still available?

I have a Hitachi plasma and my speakers are all large Dahlquist units including the sub. Two main, four satellites and the sub.

Last, what can I expect sound quality wise between the old TXSR-800 and the TXR-807?

Thanks

No additional equipment is needed. I was worried about the same thing, but you just plug in to the internet, log in to your account, and you are set to go. Now I can cancel one of my subscriptions and sell my home kit that I had hooked up to the old 805.

Works great!
post #551 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese9266 View Post

No additional equipment is needed. I was worried about the same thing, but you just plug in to the internet, log in to your account, and you are set to go. Now I can cancel one of my subscriptions and sell my home kit that I had hooked up to the old 805.

Works great!

Good & Thanks!

I just need some clarification. By plug into the internet and log in to my account, do you mean through the receiver interface?

I have a subscription for my vehicle and the in house.

Thanks, 2therock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #552 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Good & Thanks!

I just need some clarification. By plug into the internet and log in to my account, do you mean through the receiver interface?

I have a subscription for my vehicle and the in house.

Yep, just make sure that one of the accounts has internet-listening capabilities (think it's only 2.99/month or something like that), then just log in through the receiver interface, just like you would on a pc, and you are good to go. Best part is, the receiver remembers your username/password so you don't have to log in every time!

I'm not sure what your internet radio needs are in the house, but if you are only going to use the 807 to listen to Sirius, you can cancel the house account and just add internet-listening (forget what it's called exactly) to your car account. Best of both worlds!
post #553 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 04:08 PM

Thanks,

Just about to pull the trigger. Newegg has a free ipod dock and shipping right now till the 30th.

Any other recommended vendors?

Thanks, 2therock

post #554 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

the "dialog norm -3db" is normal and has to do with it making the correct setting to standards.. my denon3808ci did this everytime you would switch to TV and I was bothered about it until I stumbled upon a post that answered why it did it(don't have the post) so what you see is normal behavior.
my "NET" feature has always said either "connecting or initializing" when going from one mode (iRadio Pandora, etc.) I would consider it normal behavior also....

the "dialog norm -3db" is telling you how much difference the volume level is compared to the laast channel or something like that.

Thanks, 2therock

post #555 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

For those of you with a 1007, how hot does it run? I've an enclosed AV area that has a fan, but not certain if it will be cool enough.

Mark

-=-
post #556 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 06:53 PM

2 questions:

Whats the verdict with Zones 2 & 3 and 5.1 or 7.1? Can you have multiple zones setup and still play surround? (My surrounds and zone 3 are in the mail)

Does this support XM Radio through the network? A family member has an account and they don't use it for their PC. Plus XM and Sirius merged...
post #557 of 5489 Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the "dialog norm -3db" is telling you how much difference the volume level is compared to the laast channel or something like that.

It's actaully something like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialnorm
post #558 of 5489 Old 09-24-2009, 12:13 AM

i am seriously considering the 807 for my HT.
i have two quick questions:
1) I am new to the .2 (2 subs) - so is this the same channel with two outputs, or 2 independant channels (ie. stero)/
2) whats the HDMI switching like, eg, using satelite for tv and changing channels - how quick is the HDMI locking?

thnx
S
post #559 of 5489 Old 09-24-2009, 12:25 AM

Got my 807 tonight and did a quick temporary install. Dig the network capability! No issues with anything so far. I notice that there are two internal fans, a small one and a much larger one, to blow air across two of the heatsinks. They have not come on in 3hrs of gentle use, so I guess they're for when things get super toasty. Anyone know the details of the fan operation?

BK
post #560 of 5489 Old 09-24-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shftup View Post

i am seriously considering the 807 for my HT.
i have two quick questions:
1) I am new to the .2 (2 subs) - so is this the same channel with two outputs, or 2 independant channels (ie. stero)/
2) whats the HDMI switching like, eg, using satelite for tv and changing channels - how quick is the HDMI locking?

thnx
S

Can't speak to the hdmi switching yet, but the manual states that the two sub pre-outs deliver the same signal.

BK
post #561 of 5489 Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_856er View Post

Can't speak to the hdmi switching yet, but the manual states that the two sub pre-outs deliver the same signal.

BK

haven't timed it, but it seems like a couple seconds
post #562 of 5489 Old 09-24-2009, 09:59 AM

Perfect - thanx guys

S
post #563 of 5489 Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 AM

I'm seriously considering the 807, but have some questions about how exactly the network features work.

1. Pandora. Since it requires a login to your Pandora account, are all of your custom stations available when streaming to the 807?

2. Streaming over the local network: Is Windows Media Player 11 required or will any DLNA-compliant server work? I ask because I run my music library off my NAS, a Netgear ReadyNAS running a DLNA server. Is anyone using a setup like this? I originally went with the NAS solution so I didn't have to have a PC running all the time.

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #564 of 5489 Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htevolution View Post

I'm seriously considering the 807, but have some questions about how exactly the network features work.

1. Pandora. Since it requires a login to your Pandora account, are all of your custom stations available when streaming to the 807?

2. Streaming over the local network: Is Windows Media Player 11 required or will any DLNA-compliant server work? I ask because I run my music library off my NAS, a Netgear ReadyNAS running a DLNA server. Is anyone using a setup like this? I originally went with the NAS solution so I didn't have to have a PC running all the time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I just unpacked my 807, so I have not had a chance to navigate to them yet, but the NET button brought up my HP WHS server running TwonkyMedia and also my networked directv DVR. I'd venture that your ReadyNAS will not be a problem.

BK
post #565 of 5489 Old 09-24-2009, 05:52 PM

I'm just waiting for the price breaks on the NR807 to come back and reading through this thread in the mean time.

My equipment, setup, and knowledge base is far from up to par from the regulars here. But thanks to you guys I'm learning.

I am prompted to upgrade by the satellite and networking features and my old TX-SR800 is tired. I have 255GB of mp3's that the Ethernet capability will come in handy on.

So, getting to the subject of this post, I wonder if someone would look at my speakers (link in signature) and give me a ball park first time power up setup guide line.

If you had these speakers to work with how would you configure for the NR807.
Such as large or small, ohms, and what ever else.

I know my sub is using the volume control now with analog RCA cables. Will the LFE input ignore the volume knob? I'm wondering about this control and using the Audyssey setup.

I have the two mains, two rears, and two rear surrounds.

Years ago I managed to stumble around and get this system to really sound good. The Sub is divine. I cannot stand sloppy subs and this thing is really good. It reproduces as the artist intended.

Thanks, 2therock

post #566 of 5489 Old 09-24-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:

I just unpacked my 807, so I have not had a chance to navigate to them yet, but the NET button brought up my HP WHS server running TwonkyMedia and also my networked directv DVR. I'd venture that your ReadyNAS will not be a problem.

BK

OK, so I tried to access my WHS server that was listed on the 807 NET list. After about 20sec the 807 informs me that I'm not authenticated, or something to that effect, and access fails. The media shares on the WHS are designated with Guest access and EVERY other device on my network can acess them, including my Sony TV. Hopefully a future firmware update will help out. The manual does state that not all servers will be compatible.

On a related note, I had a heck of a time getting the 807 to restore a network connection after coming out of standby on day #2. Eventually I had to unplug the network cable, which stopped the endless "initializing" loop in NET, and then I disabled/enabled the 807 DHCP function in setup, which fixed things. Hopefully that's not going to be the routine.

BK
post #567 of 5489 Old 09-25-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htevolution View Post

Is Windows Media Player 11 required or will any DLNA-compliant server work?

I'm using my QNAP NAS with Twonky. Works fine, but the UI it is missing jukebox functionality to be really usefull...
post #568 of 5489 Old 09-25-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I got my HT-RC180 yesterday afternoon. Spent last night rearranging my rack as the compartment where my Denon 889 lived was just a weeee bit too short. I decided to put it on the top for best air flow. My turntable (Technics SL-6) now lives in a slot. There's enough room to open it and slide in an LP. I got the basics done and ran the Audyssey set up. It was late enough that I didn't want to crank it so that'll be done today. So far it's sounding really good. Got Internet set up and streamed a favorite radio station of mine from Denver (I'm in L.A.) and music from my PC. I did the firmware update and Windows 7 recognized it and allowed me to see the built in web page. Way cool. I never had an Amp that had a built in web page!
Very excited!!
If you're wondering why I got this one instead of the NR807, I'm a member of Amazon Vine, and the price was too good to argue.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #569 of 5489 Old 09-25-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:

I'm just waiting for the price breaks on the NR807 to come back and reading through this thread in the mean time.

My equipment, setup, and knowledge base is far from up to par from the regulars here. But thanks to you guys I'm learning.

I am prompted to upgrade by the satellite and networking features and my old TX-SR800 is tired. I have 255GB of mp3's that the Ethernet capability will come in handy on.

So, getting to the subject of this post, I wonder if someone would look at my speakers (link in signature) and give me a ball park first time power up setup guide line.

If you had these speakers to work with how would you configure for the NR807.
Such as large or small, ohms, and what ever else.

I know my sub is using the volume control now with analog RCA cables. Will the LFE input ignore the volume knob? I'm wondering about this control and using the Audyssey setup.

I have the two mains, two rears, and two rear surrounds.

Years ago I managed to stumble around and get this system to really sound good. The Sub is divine. I cannot stand sloppy subs and this thing is really good. It reproduces as the artist intended.

OK, the noob has been been reading up. I see the sub does not play into the Audyssey setup. I would like to know if I should use the LFE feature of the sub though.

And I guess I should set the speakers to use the ohms they are rated for?

Talk to me guys. You experts should be able to shoot from the hip at me on this.

Don't let me miss a good deal on the 807!

Thanks, 2therock

post #570 of 5489 Old 09-25-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:

OK, so I tried to access my WHS server that was listed on the 807 NET list. After about 20sec the 807 informs me that I'm not authenticated, or something to that effect, and access fails. The media shares on the WHS are designated with Guest access and EVERY other device on my network can acess them, including my Sony TV. Hopefully a future firmware update will help out. The manual does state that not all servers will be compatible.

I just discovered that my WHS is having some major issues and I seemed to have lost a drive. I'll test the 807 compatibility again after I resolve the problems with the WHS. Ignore what I wrote above for now...

BK
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page