Onkyo TX-NR807 Official Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #631 of 5488 Old 10-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just started looking at the 807s. I missed the good sale on newegg for them. Any thought on how often they drop below the current 899 price at newegg? I havent been looking long enough to know the sale/discount pattern?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5488 Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougerofEQ View Post

I just started looking at the 807s. I missed the good sale on newegg for them. Any thought on how often they drop below the current 899 price at newegg? I havent been looking long enough to know the sale/discount pattern?

I wondered the same thing, after keeping one in my cart for most of the weekend and then having them sell out before I made up my mind. A similar sale happened the next weekend. Tip#1: both of these sales started about midnight on a Friday. Not sure if that's a pattern. Not sure how frequent the the deals are, but the pricing will always trend downward over time. Tip #2: put in for one of the newegg email price alerts. The second time around I jumped on it without delay as a result of the alert. Good luck! I'm really enjoying my 807 so far, especially the networking feature, and I already have my XBR tv, BD, DVR, xbox and media extender networked.

BK
post #633 of 5488 Old 10-02-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
For anyone looking for an NR807 deal/sale, check out the RC180 at OneCall and J&R. Differences are the RC180 is missing 1 HDMI input, wired IR in/out, and 12v triggers. Both etailers have it for $729 and free shipping.

post #634 of 5488 Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

welp, I just finished reading EVERY SINGLE post in the 22 pages of this thread. I think you've all convinced me to also jump on board.

Over the last few weeks Ive been bouncing around in my head from the Denon989, to the Pio SC25, Onkyo 876 and now the 807. I'm only running a PS3 and Nintendo Wii in my HT. Therefore I was thinking the HQV chip isnt worth the extra cost...plus I havent touched my Wii in about 3-4 months. (open for jokes). Actually wife hasnt played with the Wii in longer.....blah nevermind....anyways...

On that note I went to my local store where I've been purchasing TV's from for me and friends for the last 7 years. They said for me $1060 CAD taxes in everything for the Onkyo 807. (Also they are an authorized dealer)

wondering if I should just jump on it and be done. (currently running a 2001 Technics SADA10 highcurrent 5.1 receiver). All the new features should definitely be a big improvement.

Should I do it now or hold off for a better price in Canada?

Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
post #635 of 5488 Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar View Post

I talked to Daniel/David? at Onkyo Support. The reset (hold DVR/VCR, press Standby on front panel) did not work. I unplugged the unit and replugged and the unit completed it's download progress.
The firmware update instructions didn't cover my issue. But here is a link to the .pdf.
I am now back to being a happy camper. Except for the update hanging, I had this thing 100% setup, calibrated and remote control program(med itself) in under 90 minutes.

Just another datapoint to add. I updated the 807 firmware over ethernet and everything went exactly according to the pdf instructions with no hangs or funny business. Took 20min total and at the end I got the specified checksum value on the display.

BK
post #636 of 5488 Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_856er View Post

Just another datapoint to add. I updated the 807 firmware over ethernet and everything went exactly according to the pdf instructions with no hangs or funny business. Took 20min total and at the end I got the specified checksum value on the display.

BK

Awesome.

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #637 of 5488 Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Problem with my 807:

I have an older hdtv wich only takes componet cables. Tried watching a dvrd Heros eposide & office last night (cox cable compontes into new Onkyo 807 componets out inot Mitz HD Tv) and after a few minutes the vido started having a strobe effect. I tried adjusting the out to Analsong Out (passthrough, 1080i, 480p 720p) all to no effect.... well more accurately the 720p showed nothing, and the others had the strobe effect. Had to by pass the 807 to watch. Does the vido on the 807 only work with an hdmi out? Am i missing somthing here? Should i swipe out for another 807 or find somthing different?
post #638 of 5488 Old 10-03-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Awesome.

And a tangible benefit for me...the previous firmware would not reliably access the network coming out of standby, forcing me to briefly disconnect/connect the ethernet cable to restore things on the 807...networking has been flawless since the firmware update.

BK
post #639 of 5488 Old 10-04-2009, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_856er View Post

BK

That's awesome news At the same time, it shocks me to see Onkyo pulling its head out of its a$$. The next thing, that will surely make me pass out is if they start giving good customer service.

Maybe there is hope for them as a company (and I can one day update my sig)...
post #640 of 5488 Old 10-04-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougerofEQ View Post

You might take a look at pricespider.com. They track prices on various electronic/computer stuff by vendor. Very useful
post #641 of 5488 Old 10-06-2009, 01:54 PM

Quick question:

Did you guys put plugs on your speaker wires before connecting to the AVR or did you just connect the wire to the AVR? I didn't buy plugs for the AVR ends of the wires since the manual said I could attach the wire directly.
post #642 of 5488 Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onk Yo View Post

Quick question:

Did you guys put plugs on your speaker wires before connecting to the AVR or did you just connect the wire to the AVR? I didn't buy plugs for the AVR ends of the wires since the manual said I could attach the wire directly.

Either way is fine. I like banana plus so I can unplug and plug back in quickly. Of course I am always reviewing new receivers so that shortcut helps.

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #643 of 5488 Old 10-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quick question:

banana plugs are just so easy to use and minimize the possibility of shorting the speaker wires. the onkyo solution allows you to use double banana plugs unlike pioneer and denon which require single plugs, the double plug is easier to use and you just plug one plug per speaker vrs 2 plugs on the other brands. you can direct wire but it is such a hassle compared to using plugs and of couse be extremely careful to not leave any strands to short out your receiver.... enjoy
post #644 of 5488 Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 PM

I want to thank you joerod ,and all others for thier input, on such an excellent review/information of the 807. Having read through this very infomative thread convinced me to order an 807 today instead of going with a Pioneer Elite (mainly a VSX-23 or SC-05). My Kenwood KR-V8050/Technics SH-8046 EQ will be retired to bedroom duty replacing a still working Pioneer SX-3700. I have been using a Sony STR-K7000 solely as a HDMI switch in unison with the Kenwood. Needless to say the 807 will greatly simplify my HT setup. I'm supposed to receive it by weeks end so I'm sure there will be questions and I hope I can be helpful also. Thank you again
post #645 of 5488 Old 10-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

the onkyo solution allows you to use double banana plugs unlike pioneer and denon which require single plugs, the double plug is easier to use and you just plug one plug per speaker vrs 2 plugs on the other brands.

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
post #646 of 5488 Old 10-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

i am actually using some of that style, i like the design as they are big enough to be comfortable to use, can handle large thicknesses of wire and don't require any tools.......
only drawback is don't use them on thin wire 18ga or equivalent....
post #647 of 5488 Old 10-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:

i am actually using some of that style, i like the design as they are big enough to be comfortable to use, can handle large thicknesses of wire and don't require any tools.......

I bought 12awg speaker wire so that's fine, right?
post #648 of 5488 Old 10-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Based on his previous comment:

Quote:

I think you're fine
post #649 of 5488 Old 10-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yeppers, you will be amazed on how easy it will make setting up the 807
post #650 of 5488 Old 10-07-2009, 01:13 PM

Anyone else having problems with Sirius changing channels automatically??

If I listen to one Sirius station for an hour or so (not sure exactly), it will change channels automatically. It just goes up one channel every time it does this. There is no one else in the room when this happens. Not a big problem, more of an annoyance than anything.

Am I the only one?
post #651 of 5488 Old 10-07-2009, 01:55 PM

Liked: 11
I don't use Sirius but I have noticed a quirk playing from a dlna server - it seems to list the songs in an album alphabetically, not by track number. It is almost like a mandatory shuffle mode... Am I missing something obvious here? Do you have to change screens after you toggle shuffle on/off?
post #652 of 5488 Old 10-07-2009, 02:01 PM

When watching movies I'm sometimes having problems hearing the dialog/speech. This can go for pretty much all of the listening modes and not only on 2.0 sources (sometimes it happens with Dolby Digital as well). I have done the automatic calibration and have Audyssey and Dynamic EQ activated. Any ideas what might be causing that and what would be the best thing to do to fix it? I haven't been changing any settings yet as I'm not sure where to begin.
post #653 of 5488 Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by investmentcar
I have Zone 2 connected over a 50ft rca/3.5mm cable plugged into the 'ipod' jack on the control speaker of my Klipsch Promedia pc speakers. If I play the same source on main zone and Zone 2, I get a huge audio delay/echo. Is there any way to fix this other than suggesting/requesting Onkyo add that in a firmware update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

probably the difference between digital and analogue. i noticed this too on my previous receivers and had to generally revert to a common analogue source to eliminate.

Boo, just testing zone 2 powered by the receiver (instead of powered PC speakers over 50ft RCA to 3.5mm cable). I get the same echo effect from Main Zone vs 2nd Zone whether it is connected to normal speakers or PC speakers.
post #654 of 5488 Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by

bobby_t1;17309711
View Post

Based on his previous comment:

I think you're fine

I ground the plastic down with sandpaper to allow for a little tighter fit. Otherwise the wires can wiggle free. (12ga monoprice inwall wire)
post #655 of 5488 Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 AM

Please excuse if this is not the correct forum.

Components I own:
1. Onkyo TX-NR901
2. Windows Vista Laptop with MP3s
3. Wireless internet connection (Linksys router and Cable Modem)

I know where to get the firmware and net-tune s/w from. But I want to know if the following set-up is possible.

I only want to play MP3s on my laptop through the receiver using Net-Tune. So, if I install Net-tune on my laptop, install the firmware update on my Onkyo TX-NR901 and connect the two with an ethernet cable, can I play MP3s on my laptop through the receiver using Net-Tune? I don't know why I would need to use the wireless internet connection at all.

Thanks,
D
post #656 of 5488 Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukkar View Post

Please excuse if this is not the correct forum.

Components I own:
1. Onkyo TX-NR901
2. Windows Vista Laptop with MP3s
3. Wireless internet connection (Linksys router and Cable Modem)

I know where to get the firmware and net-tune s/w from. But I want to know if the following set-up is possible.

I only want to play MP3s on my laptop through the receiver using Net-Tune. So, if I install Net-tune on my laptop, install the firmware update on my Onkyo TX-NR901 and connect the two with an ethernet cable, can I play MP3s on my laptop through the receiver using Net-Tune? I don't know why I would need to use the wireless internet connection at all.

Thanks,
D

If you can do it over wireless, you can do it wired. One of the devices could be wireless to the Linksys and the other connected by wired Ethernet -- and that's probably the simplest.

If you want both wired, you probably need an Ethernet switch (your Linksys router) *or* (not both) an Ethernet crossover cable between the two; I have no idea if either or both of the network devices support auto-mdi. If the devices are plugged in to each other directly, you will need to manually assign IP addresses.

Crossover cables can be purchased quickly at computer stores, or inexpensively from places like monoprice.com
post #657 of 5488 Old 10-08-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar View Post

Boo, just testing zone 2 powered by the receiver (instead of powered PC speakers over 50ft RCA to 3.5mm cable). I get the same echo effect from Main Zone vs 2nd Zone whether it is connected to normal speakers or PC speakers.

I called Onkyo to ask about the Zone 1/Zone2 audio sync issue. Their suggestion was to try the A/V Sync in the setup screen. I am not too confident in that and neither was he. I will try it when I get home.
I asked him to suggest they implement a solution for a future firmware update. It didn't sound like that was going to happen though...

Does anyone else have this issue on the 807? I don't recall this issue during my brief ownership of an Harman Kardon AVR 354...
I don't have any sources that are only analog or sources that I want to move away from digital to utilize Winston's advice of switching to an analog source.
Maybe switching to another Onkyo model or brand would fix it.
post #658 of 5488 Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 PM

I have to extend a big thank you to joerod and all from this thread. I received my 807 today and all I can say is WOW. Everything went smooth though I still have to do Audessey setup - just couldn't wait to hear it. My PS3,HD cable box,my other DVD players and the Internet radio is a cool feature. Mine needed the latest firmware which went off without a hitch. again thank you.
post #659 of 5488 Old 10-08-2009, 11:49 PM

hey guys .... just got my NR-807 today ... everything looks great and works great ... ummmmm ... except for just one little detail: I have no sound at all.

Yes ... I checked everything ... like 10 times .... it is as if the speakers are simply turned off. Well ... actually they ARE turned off, but I can not figure out WHY! This is the 1st AVR I have ever had that actually does not seem to have a switch to turn the speakers on or off.

Anyways ..... you should see the little speaker icons lit up on the display of the receiver ..... but all of mine are off, as in not lit up at all. I have great cables ... not cheap ones ...

Yes ... of course ... I have checked all my input assignmets. All I have hooked up to the AVR is an Onkyo DVD ... which is sending a great picture to my Sony LCD disply as it goes through the 807 .... everything is hooked up through HDMI as it should be ....

Yes ... I did a "reset" on the AVR ... like about 3 times. Still no speaker icons, gentlmen .....

No .... the "mute" switch is not activated ...

I turned on the FM tuner section thinking I might get a little white noise from it .... nope. Nada. Silent like a morgue at midnight.

it has got to be some simple little thing ... but what????????????????????

P l e a s e .... any Onkyo gurus out there that have any ideas?
post #660 of 5488 Old 10-08-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetCat View Post

hey guys .... just got my NR-807 today ... everything looks great and works great ... ummmmm ... except for just one little detail: I have no sound at all.

Yes ... I checked everything ... like 10 times .... it is as if the speakers are simply turned off. Well ... actually they ARE turned off, but I can not figure out WHY! This is the 1st AVR I have ever had that actually does not seem to have a switch to turn the speakers on or off.

Anyways ..... you should see the little speaker icons lit up on the display of the receiver ..... but all of mine are off, as in not lit up at all. I have great cables ... not cheap ones ...

Yes ... of course ... I have checked all my input assignmets. All I have hooked up to the AVR is an Onkyo DVD ... which is sending a great picture to my Sony LCD disply as it goes through the 807 .... everything is hooked up through HDMI as it should be ....

Yes ... I did a "reset" on the AVR ... like about 3 times. Still no speaker icons, gentlmen .....

it has got to be some simple little thing ... but what????????????????????

P l e a s e .... any Onkyo gurus out there that have any ideas?

I'm no guru...but did you do the setup with the OSD and designate your speakers?

Also make sure you don't have the TV speaker setting activated on the 807.

And compared to my former receiver, I have to really crank the volume knob clockwise, but you should definitely be seeing the speaker icons on the 807 display if things are setup correctly.

BK
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page